PDA

View Full Version : Bearing help needed!

Cary K.
09-23-2008, 07:50 AM
2001 X-Star - tandem axle trailer -
I noticed the other night that one of the 'centers' to my trailer wheel is missing. I am guessing that it is a bearing buddy, but would like to confirm that. It is basically a chrome center cap, and it looks like it has a push out center, like a bearing buddy would. It looks a little different than my old '88 trailer bearing buddies, but still looks like it could be the same type of part.

Can anyone confirm that these are bearing buddies, or if not, tell me what they are so I can order a replacement. TIA!

TMCNo1
09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
2001 X-Star - tandem axle trailer -
I noticed the other night that one of the 'centers' to my trailer wheel is missing. I am guessing that it is a bearing buddy, but would like to confirm that. It is basically a chrome center cap, and it looks like it has a push out center, like a bearing buddy would. It looks a little different than my old '88 trailer bearing buddies, but still looks like it could be the same type of part.

Can anyone confirm that these are bearing buddies, or if not, tell me what they are so I can order a replacement. TIA!

A picture would be helpful. At one time, MC used Trailer Buddy Bearing Protectors by UFP which worked and looked similar to Bearing Buddies and they had a blue piston inside the s/s cap/housing that was driven in the hub, with a s/s cap over the zerk fitting in the piston.

Original Bearing Buddy Bearing Protector,40512
UFP Trailer Buddy Bearing Protector,40514
New Style Bearing Buddy Bearing Protector,40515

Cary K.
09-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks #1. I went home at lunch and snapped a pic. I don't really want to take one off to see what the inside looks like, and I can't find a pic of the face anywhere online. Here is what it looks like, sorry for the pic quality. Any help is appreciated!!!

TMCNo1
09-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks #1. I went home at lunch and snapped a pic. I don't really want to take one off to see what the inside looks like, and I can't find a pic of the face anywhere online. Here is what it looks like, sorry for the pic quality. Any help is appreciated!!!

That is one like the last 2 I pictured above, with the s/s cap over the blue center covering the zerk fitting in the piston. When properly filled cold with grease, the blue piston and cap should extend out approximately 1/8" beyond the edge of the s/s cap/housing indicating proper fill. When hot, the grease will make it protrude out farther and as it cools it retracts. That bearing protector needs more grease!

Cary K.
12-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Still looking for an exact replacement, someone please HELP !!! Regular 1.98" bearing buddies fit, but it is not the same design. Mine are flared at the hub end and I can't find a product like that. Here is another (hopefully better) pic.

flipper
12-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Did you already try the dealer?

Cary K.
12-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Yes, and still working with them, but not as easy as I'd hoped. The one set wrong size, and it was standard bearing buddy (not flared), then I went and bought the correct size locally, but it's still not an exact match. I guess I could just switch all 4 out and have them match that way, but not what I anticipated having to do.

At least it will be enough to let me use the boat during the holidays !!!

flipper
12-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Hit up these guys, I've had nothing but great service with them. There are plenty of dealers much closer to me, but I still get all my stuff through them

http://www.chicagomastercraft.com/

TMCNo1
12-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Still looking for an exact replacement, someone please HELP !!! Regular 1.98" bearing buddies fit, but it is not the same design. Mine are flared at the hub end and I can't find a product like that. Here is another (hopefully better) pic.

I answered your pm. That bearing protector you pictured is the original stamped/formed S/S UFP Trailer Buddy Bearing Protector, not the machined S/S UFP Trailer Buddy II or the new Bearing Buddy.

Cary K.
12-19-2008, 10:54 AM
UPDATE:

They are (or were) a UFP brand bearing buddy. (thanks Harold). I e-mailed UFP a pic and they said no longer make the flared end ones. Apparently the flares "assist in the loss of protectors". I had a flat tire and lost mine, I don't think I had a faulty product. Anyway, UFP is going to help me out.

Big thanks to them, they are closed for the holidays, but my e-mails were still responded to immediately, and they are going well out of their way to help someone they don't know. This goes a LONG way in my book !!!

Thank to all the TT'ers to who helped!

flipper
12-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Glad it worked out for you

TMCNo1
12-19-2008, 01:15 PM
UPDATE:

They are (or were) a UFP brand bearing buddy. (thanks Harold). I e-mailed UFP a pic and they said no longer make the flared end ones. Apparently the flares "assist in the loss of protectors". I had a flat tire and lost mine, I don't think I had a faulty product. Anyway, UFP is going to help me out.

Big thanks to them, they are closed for the holidays, but my e-mails were still responded to immediately, and they are going well out of their way to help someone they don't know. This goes a LONG way in my book !!!

Thank to all the TT'ers to who helped!

Great to hear, that's what I figured.
They have always gone beyond the call of duty a couple times over problems with the flared spun/stamped ones and finally sent me a set of the new machined ones and all has been good since.
Just be sure you get you a set of bras to cover the ends. Both the Bearing Buddy and Trailer Buddy Bras will work on your new ones and can be found at Walmart or most anywhere and you can even get them to send you a set with the protectors.