PDA

View Full Version : Here's my dumb boat owner move

Roonie's
09-22-2008, 09:15 PM
I was on the water yesterday and was surfing while having a friend (non-boat owner) driving the boat. He comes back to pick me up and kills the engine. I get on and dry off and listen to some tunes for a little bit. Go to start the engine as we were getting blown close to shore and I get nothing. The gauges light up and I hear the fuel pump prime but nothing turning over. I immediately think it is the kill switch and that my buddy must have hit it accidently. I play with it and can hear it clicking on and off in the engine. I try resetting battery... still nothing. Thinking battery is dead and running out of options at this point, I had to jump out to avoid the shore and rocks. I was thinking fuel pump in my mind but knew that I would have at least got it to turn over first. I wave down a passing fisherman and he has jumper cables so we try jumping the boat. Nothing.... So he starts to tow us back to the launch and it came to me.......

I never checked to see if the boat was in gear. Sure enough the throttle was engaged which doesn't allow the motor to turn over at all. I assumed everyone puts the throttle back to neutral before turning key off, but my buddy didn't. I paid the fisherman $20 (offered him $40) for his trouble. Lesson learned.

Looked pretty funny a little bass fisherman boat towing a big MC back to the dock. Luckily he only towed me about 100 feet before I got boat started again.

Maristar210
09-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Roonies,

That is not a good move especially since its in plain view from the drivers seat....

Sorry but 8p8p8p

Sodar
09-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Nice job. You get a golf clap on that one!

brucemac
09-22-2008, 09:59 PM
heh, i had a similar situation happen to me at lake roosevelt. we were making a garbage run and on the way decided to stop, take a dip and chill out for a bit. went to start and nothing! i feared the dreaded fuel pump issue, and i too, had to jump out, (okay, my brother did!) to save the boat from the rocks. after about 15 minutes of accelerated heart beats we found out the negative cable had jumped off the terminal. i hadn't secured it properly while replacing a battery and we must have hit a hard roller and bounced it off. what a relief. :)

we were lucky on several levels. it was hot, we had young kids and we were miles from the houseboat on a weekday.

Roonie's
09-22-2008, 10:03 PM
hopefully someone can learn from my dumb _ss mistakes.

tr6coug
09-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Guaranteed that is the last time you do that!

I got stung by the kill switch a few years ago, now its the first thing I check.

PointTaken
09-22-2008, 10:12 PM
We all have one I'm sure. I too was bit by the kill switch one memorable time.

dapicatti
09-22-2008, 10:53 PM
I confess, did this when we first got our X2.....took about 5 minutes to figure it out. Kill switch too.....

vision
09-22-2008, 11:10 PM
I have stood there in the middle of the Lake swearing at my engine on more than one occasion before I figured that the boat was in gear while I was trying to turn it over. The first time it happened I felt relief that there was nothing wrong with the engine. The second time, I was pissed for not checking the gear shifter immediately.

MC please note: a simple light on the dash that says the kill switch is open or the boat is in gear would save us DA's some significant frustration.

h2oskiluvr
09-22-2008, 11:24 PM
I did the same exact thing. I was of course holding up a very busy ramp and looked pretty stupid when after 10 minutes I saw the throttle lever was just a bit in gear. Of course I was already running twenty minutes late. When it rains it pours....

kycat2007
09-23-2008, 01:32 AM
My buddy did the same thing a few years back. After looking for anything on the engine I noticed the boat was not in nuetral. He apologized and all was cool.

JohnE
09-23-2008, 07:17 AM
Funny how this board can make you paranoid.:eek:

I wouldn't be too embarassed Roonies. And you probably saved 10 of us the same fate.

peason
09-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Panic does strange things! At least you were out on the water!

cmw
09-23-2008, 01:27 PM
I tried to back the boat in the garage with the flyhigh pole still on last weekend. Needless to say it does not fit that way. My wife was directing me and she is still apologizing saying it was her fault. I was going to tell her it was my fault, but I make so many mistakes and she rarely does, I thought I would give her credit for this one. She's a good sport.

sully
09-24-2008, 09:38 PM
been there ....done that....