PDA

View Full Version : Added Component Speakers in a ProStar 197

Sodar
09-22-2008, 01:27 PM
How should I install an additional set of speakers in my boat?

The way Andy G did in his boat with custom boxes covered in OEM carpet?

The way they install them directly into the motorbox in the ProStar 190's from the factory?

Sodar
09-22-2008, 01:32 PM
I cannot get the poll to work, so just throw you opinions up.

03 35th Anniversary
09-22-2008, 01:37 PM
You have a Mini Tower right???

Monte
09-22-2008, 01:38 PM
You have a Mini Tower right???

He makes a valid point Cameron:cool:

Sodar
09-22-2008, 01:39 PM
No speakers are going on the tower. I am not bashing my head every time I stand up. Plus, I want more sound in the cockpit... not out the back of the boat.

Ric
09-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Cam, I like the ones in the side walls but that eliminates ski storage so I would not do it... I like the factory 190 locations, but you need to be creative on mounting so that they aren't a nuisance while walking around inside. That's where I thought of putting another pair of seperates in the 197 but never got around to it :rolleyes:

03 35th Anniversary
09-22-2008, 01:59 PM
No speakers are going on the tower. I am not bashing my head every time I stand up. Plus, I want more sound in the cockpit... not out the back of the boat.

Thats why I was asking.

Sodar
09-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Cam, I like the ones in the side walls but that eliminates ski storage so I would not do it... I like the factory 190 locations, but you need to be creative on mounting so that they aren't a nuisance while walking around inside. That's where I thought of putting another pair of seperates in the 197 but never got around to it :rolleyes:

I am thinking the same thing. I have never used the sides for storage, since I normally use the tower racks. I like both ways, but I am leaning towards the custom boxes, since I am going to have a hard time drilling into the motorbox and cutting my upholstery, plus I do not see a way to keep them out of the way to avoid hitting my knee and legs on them.

Sodar
09-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Thats why I was asking.

got ya .

BrianM
09-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Custom boxes. Don't like the speakers mounted in the engine cover at all.

wakeX2wake
09-22-2008, 02:12 PM
i'd say do the custom covered w/ OEM carpet... the speakers on the motor boxy will be likely to pull out of the shell when someone rubs by them or any odd pressures on them... cool thing about the speakers is they're open air so you don't even have to worry about a real "enclosure" even tho they are considered "subs"... after your custom boxes fill up part of the side storage you can fill the rest of w/ LEDs:D

03 35th Anniversary
09-22-2008, 02:18 PM

I agree with this guy^^^^ If you don't need the storge.

I would do the same to mine but, I have to have a place to put the barefoot boom.

flipper
09-22-2008, 02:32 PM
I'd do the custom boxes if you don't need the storage.

Sodar
09-22-2008, 02:36 PM
What should I do with the boxes? I know there are tons of ways, but should I just do MDF? MDF covered in resin, maybe some glass? Starboard? What do you guys think? At that spot in the boat, they are going to get wet.

03 35th Anniversary
09-22-2008, 02:41 PM
What should I do with the boxes? I know there are tons of ways, but should I just do MDF? MDF covered in resin, maybe some glass? Starboard? What do you guys think? At that spot in the boat, they are going to get wet.I was thinking glass, then you could shine them up or just cover them in carpet. I'd do glass and carpet myself.

Sodar
09-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Well, I guess it is about time to get out there and make some cardboard templates. This should be a good little winter project.

wakeX2wake
09-22-2008, 02:55 PM
i like the before mentioned marine plywood and covered w/ a really good weather resistant paint maybe even a LineX or Rhino Linings stuff and then cover w/ carpet... it would be cheap and easy and never go anywhere... fiberglassing sucks if you've never done it... i've helped make a speaker box/amp rack/16" tv for an escalade and i won't ever do it again... making the mold sucks and the resin/fiber parts is messy and just really sucks

Andyg
09-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Cam,
If you don't want to make them yourself you could always call MYMC and see if he is still making them.

When they made mine they used what looks like 1/2" white plastic.

Sodar
09-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Cam,
If you don't want to make them yourself you could always call MYMC and see if he is still making them.

Good deal... I think that would be the easiest, since the boat is stored 250 miles from home.

Thanks Andy.

03 35th Anniversary
09-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Cam,

Buying them is always easier!!!! and makes a better fit most of the time.

east tx skier
09-22-2008, 08:23 PM
For the fronts, I'd separate them out and put the tweeters up on the dash. I've got some components in the back because the previous owner had already cut the holes for them. But I really don't get what the purpose of having components so close together is. They sound good regardless. So I guess it accomplishes something.

JohnE
09-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Sodar,

If I were making them, I'd use Azak and cover it in the carpet. You probably know what it is - fake wood made out of pvc. Comes in all the same sizes that regular wood comes. i.e. 1x4; 1x6, 1x8; 5/4x4....etc. Around here I find scraps on most of the new home construction sites. You work with it like regular wood and use pvc cement if you are glueing it.

PointTaken
09-22-2008, 10:20 PM
i like the before mentioned marine plywood and covered w/ a really good weather resistant paint maybe even a LineX or Rhino Linings stuff and then cover w/ carpet... it would be cheap and easy and never go anywhere... fiberglassing sucks if you've never done it... i've helped make a speaker box/amp rack/16" tv for an escalade and i won't ever do it again... making the mold sucks and the resin/fiber parts is messy and just really sucks

I second the part about fiberglass s--ks.

JimN
09-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Without getting too technical, placing the tweets close to the mid-bass is best because the best sound comes from a point source, which is actually impossible but it is ideal. When the tweets and mid-bass are separated, the source of the sound will seem like it's rising and lowering as the music goes up and down the musical scale. Plus, having tweeters screaming at you because they're closer isn't great.

Double stick tape is a good way to find out if a particular location will sound good, or not.

east tx skier
09-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Without getting too technical, placing the tweets close to the mid-bass is best because the best sound comes from a point source, which is actually impossible but it is ideal. When the tweets and mid-bass are separated, the source of the sound will seem like it's rising and lowering as the music goes up and down the musical scale. Plus, having tweeters screaming at you because they're closer isn't great.

Double stick tape is a good way to find out if a particular location will sound good, or not.

Good to know. I'm learning.

brucemac
09-23-2008, 09:36 PM
custom boxes gets my vote. plus you probably set it up so you can remove them easily if you needed the space. not a big fan of them on the motor box.

JimN
09-23-2008, 10:48 PM
The main thing to remember, if it sounds good, it's fine, but I usually recommend at least trying a few different locations to find out what sounds best.

Muttley
09-24-2008, 10:29 AM

Ditto. I wouldn't think it would be good for the sound either. More engine noise coming through the speaker.

I think those custom boxes look great!

bmargol
09-24-2008, 09:51 PM
I put 2 polk speakers in the fiberglass under the passenger seat & they work great, dual cone etc.One close to the side & the other towards the driver. They are far enough apart to add great sound.
Bruce

bmargol
10-15-2008, 08:45 PM
I put 2 speakers on the fibreglass panel just below the passenger seat. only gets ya about 18 inches apart but lots of sound up front. Polk makes a fibreglass dual speaker that is great & waterproof. A momo to boot.

macrogp18
10-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Here is a thought, mount them in the dashboard with the midbass's firing up into the glass and get some pods to angle the tweeters back towards the cabin. This is an awsome set up, I have it in my 04 X2. The sound hits the glass and shoots back into the cabin. Super loud and clean in your face sound. Kustom Kar Audio in Santa Rosa, CA did mine. This is the best picture I have on my laptop, you can see the reflection in the windshield.

Timbo126
10-15-2008, 09:27 PM
These speakers just came out from JL and I bought six of them for my 197. I mounted two of them in the bow, two under the rear seat, and two in the engine box. But I have the split engine box so mine don't mount in to vinyl they mount into carpet. I have never had a problem with hitting my legs on them while walking by them they are pretty flush with the carpet.

http://http://marine.jlaudio.com/products_components.php?prod_id=390

Well if the link doesn't work just go to the JL Audio website and check out their new speaker where the tweeter is built into the center of the midbass. So instead of installing two speaker you only have to install one.