PDA

View Full Version : Tow Vehicle Tires

BrianM
05-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Well it is just about time for me to replace the tires on my tow vehicle. '03 GMC Sierra Ex Cab 2wd with 57k miles. The original tires were General Ameritrac 255/70/16. I have been pretty happy with the amount of miles I have gotten out of them (will be replacing right at 60k) but the performance of these tires was not all that great. Wet traction was pretty poor especially after about 30k miles. Handling is also not that great.

I am looking for new tires with the following goals in mind.

1. Good wet performance (it doesn't snow around here and I don't have to deal with ice but we get lots of rain and of course wet boat ramps)
2. Good mileage (I drive 25k - 30k a year)
3. Quiet ride (I do lots of highway driving)
4. Good Handling

So I put the question out there. What tires are you running or have you run (especially those with 2wd truck SUVs) that you have had good results with?

JEREMY79
05-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Dont know dude, I run 35" pro comp mud terrain. I dont think they will be queit on the road. or a smooth ride

ski_king
05-02-2005, 10:10 AM
I have Michlin XCX ATP's. I have about 40K on them and they look like I should get another 20K or so out of them. Traction is good, maybe a little noisey. I think the traction on the boat ramp is a good thing to have. I can live with some noise and crank up the radio.

bcampbe7
05-02-2005, 10:24 AM
I have Bridgestone Dueler REVO's on my SUV and love them.

captkidd
05-02-2005, 10:52 AM
I have Michelin LTX M/S on both my pickup (Dodge 1500 4x4) and my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've been very pleased with the ride, handling, performance, and longevity.

mtrask
05-02-2005, 11:01 AM
I have Michelin LTX M/S on both my pickup (Dodge 1500 4x4) and my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've been very pleased with the ride, handling, performance, and longevity.

Definetely go with the Michelin LTX M/S Expensive, but worth the ride and all other things you listed..

djhuff
05-02-2005, 11:38 AM
I have always had Goodyear Wrangler RT/S on my truck (except for the one time I got HT) I get about 45-50K out of them. Great traction in wet weather, and they have fairly stiff sidewalls which help handling.

jimmer2880
05-02-2005, 11:41 AM
BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's - but they'll probably be too loud for you. We absolutely love them for their traction & they last forever (70-80k miles).

Also, the Cooper Discover S/T is awsome, but we only have about 15k miles on this set. So far, no signs of wear though. But - again, they're a bit noisy.

Ric
05-02-2005, 11:56 AM
All I've ever heard is GOOD stuff about the Revos.

I run 305/70 tires on my 4x4 but that's no help to you

BrianM
05-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Keep them coming. I have been looking very seriously at the Pirelli Scorpion STR A at Tire Rack. They have good ratings and the reviews seem positive as well. I have also been considering the Michellin LTX but those are nearly twice the price (OK not twice the price but $50 more per tire) and the ratings are no better and in some aspects worse than the Pirelli. I run BFG ATs on my '70 Bronco and I love them but even in a smaller size the serious AT tread would look goofy on my 2wd truck.

LakePirate
05-02-2005, 12:07 PM
BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's -

I run them on my 02 avalanche and before that on my 97 tahoe. I love them and they are great as far as wear.

We have had 2 Goodyear Wranglers explode at highway speed (Not good in downtown Atlanta) one on an avalanche and one on a tahoe Both had tread seperation. Went directly to tire store and bought BF Goodrich All Terrain TAs. If I were to buy a new truck I would replace the Goodyears asap. :twocents:

AirJunky
05-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Definetely go with the Michelin LTX M/S Expensive, but worth the ride and all other things you listed..
I have the Michelin LTX on my Dodge Dakota. They wear great, good traction on the pavement, OK off-road. My only complaint is their noisy. Turning a corner at low speed they squeal. The truck will bark the tires taking off from a light or shifting gears under acceleration. Sounds cool, but I've never had it happen with other tires. Their about toast now & I'll be going with the BFG All-Terrain TAs.

milkmania
05-02-2005, 12:39 PM
I'll never have anything other than Michelin LTX M/S:worthy:

h20_skidog
05-02-2005, 12:46 PM
I have Michelin LTX M/S... ...been very pleased with the ride, handling, performance, and longevity.

Ditto.........

sfitzgerald351
05-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Get the Bridgestone Duelers. I run the ATs, but if you do mostly highway, get the HTs. Great tire. My last set lasted 70,000 miles and only cost me $95 per tire from Sears for my Bronco. I've run the Goodyear RT/S and they wore out in 35,000 miles and had the worst wet traction of any tire I've seen. I've also run the Dunlop ATs but they were a bit soft and the Bridgestones have better traction.

I'm on my second set of Bridgestones and they've been great. Definitely a great tire on it own. Then you factor in the lower cost and it becomes even more attractive.

jimmer2880
05-03-2005, 06:46 AM
I run them on my 02 avalanche and before that on my 97 tahoe. I love them and they are great as far as wear.

We have had 2 Goodyear Wranglers explode at highway speed (Not good in downtown Atlanta) one on an avalanche and one on a tahoe Both had tread seperation. Went directly to tire store and bought BF Goodrich All Terrain TAs. If I were to buy a new truck I would replace the Goodyears asap. :twocents:

Absolutely the best tire I've ever owned. I've put them on my: Dodge Dakota, Jeep Cherokee (smaller one), F250 and Jeep Wrangler. I only went with the Coopers because a buddy of mine owns a tire shop & gives me a good deal. I have got to say that this specific model Cooper will give the BF A/T's a run for their money in handling (mud, snow AND wet pavement) and in longevity. My 1500 needs new sneakers this fall. It may get the Cooper's purely from a $$$ perspective.

If you love the BF A/T's, but want to save a couple $$$'s - you may want to try the Cooper Discover S/T - you'll love them also. I'm not in any way busting the BF's - in my opinion - they are the best M/S tire made, with the Coopers coming in a very very close 2nd.

Cloaked
05-03-2005, 06:50 AM
Michelin LTX M/S, hands down.

jsonova99
05-03-2005, 07:17 AM
BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's - but they'll probably be too loud for you. We absolutely love them for their traction & they last forever (70-80k miles).

Also, the Cooper Discover S/T is awsome, but we only have about 15k miles on this set. So far, no signs of wear though. But - again, they're a bit noisy.

I have the BFG's, too, and surpisingly they aren't that loud on my truck. Althoguh could just be that wind noise drowns everything out since I have the aerodynamics of a lunch box (LR Discovery 2). Great tires though.

Ski-A-Rees
05-03-2005, 07:53 AM
BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's - I wouldn't buy anything else! There pretty quite and the traction on the ramp is amazing. They have lasted me forever and I bought the at Sams Club/Walmart with there warranty so even if something does go wrong I can just go get a new one. ( I wish there was a way I could put these on my boat because I have yet to find any good trailer tires! )

pilot02
05-03-2005, 08:56 AM
I currently have BFG Land Terrain's on my truck and they ride well, are quiet, and appear to have good traction both wet and dry though I haven't pulled the boat with them in wet weather yet. Best tires I've had on the truck were the Mich LTX A/T. Just couldn't see the money with 208k on the truck.

Ric
05-03-2005, 10:32 AM
You buncha off topic wackos, he has a 2wd. get with the program! :rant:

sfitzgerald351
05-03-2005, 11:33 AM
That says Bridgestone Dueler HTs to me...

The BFG's are a great tire, but suck in the snow / rain compared to other AT's out there and a bit louder. But in the mud / dirt they are definitely the best and they are built really well. There is a reason many off-roaders run the BFGs.

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 11:55 AM
You buncha off topic wackos, he has a 2wd. get with the program! :rant:

What Ric was probably getting at was that a good set of all-season radials would probably get the job done.

Ric
05-03-2005, 11:58 AM
What Ric was probably getting at was that a good set of all-season radials would probably get the job done.
Ric's just having a little fun

G-man
05-03-2005, 11:59 AM
I had great service from the Michelin LT radials on my Tahoe. They had a "C" load range.

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 12:02 PM
I've got those Sears Michelins on my Expedition at the moment. Hope they last a while. They came with the car.

jimmer2880
05-03-2005, 12:19 PM
That says Bridgestone Dueler HTs to me...

The BFG's are a great tire, but suck in the snow / rain compared to other AT's out there and a bit louder. But in the mud / dirt they are definitely the best and they are built really well. There is a reason many off-roaders run the BFGs.

Dude - I'm not trying to pick a fight with you - but you have to prove that to me. I'll agree that the trail-terrain BFG's aren't the best in snow - but the All-Terrain A/T's are absolutely hands down the best tire I've had in the snow. The Dueler HT's are nice, but can't touch the BFG's.

I see a trip coming next winter so Scott & I can go 4-wheeling in the snow! :toast:

jsonova99
05-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Dude - I'm not trying to pick a fight with you - but you have to prove that to me. I'll agree that the trail-terrain BFG's aren't the best in snow - but the All-Terrain A/T's are absolutely hands down the best tire I've had in the snow. The Dueler HT's are nice, but can't touch the BFG's.

I see a trip coming next winter so Scott & I can go 4-wheeling in the snow! :toast:

I agree, I had Wrangler ATs on my Jeep Wrangler, and it was terrible in the rain, the Jeep would hydroplane all over the road above 60mph. The BFGs are the best all around tire I have had, I had my truck out during the tail end of Hurricane Jeanne down here with 70 MPH winds and heavy rain still to survey damage around town, and I went through a pretty wide range of stuff without the slightest problem. :twocents:

sfitzgerald351
05-03-2005, 12:54 PM

All I know is that everytime my buddy and would go out in the snow I'd have no traction problems with my Bridgestone AT's and he'd be sliding around with his BFGs. Now granted these were different vehicles (Jeep Cherokee vs Ford Bronco) but the traction difference in the snow in 4wd in a straight line was amazing. I could stop my truck, with only rear anti-locks far quicker from about 20-30 mph than he could with 4 wheel anti-locks. The reason? Look at the tread patterns. The BFG's have almost no siping on the tread, whereas the Bridgestones have quite a bit. This is what gives you wet weather traction. Bridgestone makes the Blizzaks which most people run for snow tires around here and they know how to give a tire traction in the snow. The tradeoff of siping? Decreased durability and junky mud performance (mud can't clear out of the sipes easily). Not trying to diss the BFG. It's a great tire. But for wet pavement and snow I think you can do better. It's just a matter of finding the tradeoff that is best for your driving.

Come on up anytime! We generally get a posse of folks once a winter after a big storm to hit the Costco parking lot and spin some donuts, climb snow piles, and generally act like 8 year olds with driver licenses! :dance:

sfitzgerald351
05-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Just went to tirerack.com to look up the tires. Just so I'm not spouting nonsense. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT Significant changes have been made to both the Bridgestone AT and the BFG AT since I bought tires a couple of years ago so I do stand corrected. The BFG looks like it has additional siping added to the treadblock and now carries the snow service symbol so BFG has obviously addressed the only shortcoming I ever saw with that tire. But the online survery still has the new Bridgestone as performing better across the board. Prices for the bridgestone (31x10.5R15) were $131 and $115 for the BFG. Based on that I'd now probably buy the BFGs. When I shopped for tires the last time I was able to pick up the Bridgestones for $90 while the BFGs were $105. Interesting to see how prices and designs have changed in the past couple of years.

However, the BFGs will still be much louder than something with more of a 'highway' tread like the Bridgestone H/Ls or the Michellin LTXs and if you're not going to see snow there might be better tires for a 2wd pickup than a set of A/Ts.

Larryp
05-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Have they changed the design on the BFG's since 1990? Last time I had them I always got stuck in the mud at the farm. Now I use Michelin, seem to work much better.

6ballsisall
05-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Well it is just about time for me to replace the tires on my tow vehicle. '03 GMC Sierra Ex Cab 2wd with 57k miles. The original tires were General Ameritrac 255/70/16. I have been pretty happy with the amount of miles I have gotten out of them (will be replacing right at 60k) but the performance of these tires was not all that great. Wet traction was pretty poor especially after about 30k miles. Handling is also not that great.

I am looking for new tires with the following goals in mind.

1. Good wet performance (it doesn't snow around here and I don't have to deal with ice but we get lots of rain and of course wet boat ramps)
2. Good mileage (I drive 25k - 30k a year)
3. Quiet ride (I do lots of highway driving)
4. Good Handling

So I put the question out there. What tires are you running or have you run (especially those with 2wd truck SUVs) that you have had good results with?

Michelin LTX's hands down. On my last Ram got 70k miles out of them towing frequently and a 700hp+ Cummins under the hood that loved to break them loose. Had another set on a 92 Dodge Ram and they got about 90k out of them and it pulled 10k-15k all over the USA and Canada. Super quite tires, good on wet surfaces, ride good, they suck on snow.

The key to longevity on these is proper inflation, consistent rotation, and dead on alignment.

LakePirate
05-03-2005, 05:01 PM
I can't believe that nobody said these

Cloaked
05-03-2005, 10:25 PM
......On my last Ram got 70k miles out of them towing frequently and a 700hp+ Cummins under the hood that loved to break them loose. ....I am not buying that 700 + HP in a Ram/ Cummins story... LMFAO.... Dude, get real.... I'm a diesel fan and I know that even with a few mods and a reprogrammed EEPROM (chip), 700+ HP is not an option..... NFW.... :eek:

Help me understand your theory here, please??? Unless of course you robbed a Big Truck of its engine....

IOWs... I call BS!! :D Show me the dyno specs.... :popcorn:

Diesel fumes make me horny....

jimmer2880
05-04-2005, 06:23 AM
Michelin LTX's hands down. On my last Ram got 70k miles out of them towing frequently and a 700hp+ Cummins under the hood that loved to break them loose. Had another set on a 92 Dodge Ram and they got about 90k out of them and it pulled 10k-15k all over the USA and Canada. Super quite tires, good on wet surfaces, ride good, they suck on snow.

The key to longevity on these is proper inflation, consistent rotation, and dead on alignment.

Is that dead nuts on alignment, or nuts dead on alignment?

(just kidding.... re-hashing an old thread):D

jimmer2880
05-04-2005, 06:28 AM
All I know is that everytime my buddy and would go out in the snow I'd have no traction problems with my Bridgestone AT's and he'd be sliding around with his BFGs. Now granted these were different vehicles (Jeep Cherokee vs Ford Bronco) but the traction difference in the snow in 4wd in a straight line was amazing. I could stop my truck, with only rear anti-locks far quicker from about 20-30 mph than he could with 4 wheel anti-locks. The reason? Look at the tread patterns. The BFG's have almost no siping on the tread, whereas the Bridgestones have quite a bit. This is what gives you wet weather traction. Bridgestone makes the Blizzaks which most people run for snow tires around here and they know how to give a tire traction in the snow. The tradeoff of siping? Decreased durability and junky mud performance (mud can't clear out of the sipes easily). Not trying to diss the BFG. It's a great tire. But for wet pavement and snow I think you can do better. It's just a matter of finding the tradeoff that is best for your driving.

Come on up anytime! We generally get a posse of folks once a winter after a big storm to hit the Costco parking lot and spin some donuts, climb snow piles, and generally act like 8 year olds with driver licenses! :dance:

:woohoo: sounds like I have a reason to go play!

Seriously though - the Jeep Cherokee we had was a piece of garbage in the snow. When I put the BFG's on it, it was much better - but still not as good as a full-size pickup/bronco/blazer.

My Wranger was a real gem to drive in the rain/snow with it's michelin's on it. I put the BFG's on it & now it thinks it's a tank.

Either way - it sounds like both the BF's and the Bridgestone's are great tires. :friday:

When I had my learner's permit - my dad FORCED me to go sliding through the parking lots every time it snowed (ok - it didn't take much coaxing. I remember it something like - Dad, can we go driving now?). Bad Daddy - Bad Daddy!:worthy:

BrianM
05-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Well I decided not to take anyones advise and pulled the trigger on the Pirelli STR-A. The reviews at Tire Rack rated it as good or better than the Michelin LTX but at a price that was $45 less per tire. I actually found a place locally that had them for the same price as Tire Rack so I went with it. So far I have been really happy with them. They ride a little firmer on the road (I consider this a good thing) are very quiet, look really good and handle 300% better than the POS Generals that were on the truck. Haven't had any rain yet but according to the reviews the wet traction should be just as impressive. They were great at the ramp this weekend. Overall the truck feels much more sure footed than before. So far so good.

For anyone interested. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+STR+A&partnum=57TR6SCORSTROWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes

sfitzgerald351
05-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Look like great tires. Firm outer block and well-siped inner tread blocks. I didn't realize Pirelli had gotten into truck tires till this thread started. Let us know how they do in the rain and under an agressive stop (if you don't mind laying a little rubber for inquiring minds!)

lakes Rick
05-09-2005, 01:54 PM
OT here, but if you have never driven a Subaru in the snow you cannot appreciate how these little POS handle in the snow.. Better than a snowmobile.... Now just because I said this does not mean I am a dork that drives a Subaru

sfitzgerald351
05-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Sorry, out here in New England the Subaru is like 'the car!' They're pretty well built these days and take a beating on back woods roads in Maine. A buddy of mine has a WRX wagon and the thing hauls arse! And corners like it's on rails in the mud, snow, whatever. The hardest thing to get used to when driving it is that when you get into trouble you have to use MORE gas, not ease off it. Weird but true. The AWD pulls you out of trouble, rather than sliding into it. Fun car.

The new WRX Sti has 300 hp, 300lb-ft of torque, a six speed gearbox, and does the 1/4 in 13.3 seconds, 0-60 in 4.7 and can carry the kids comfortably through a nor'easter while getting 25 mpg. Though you might have to put the kids in a 5 point harness and helmets because you're tempted to take all the freeway on ramps at 70.

BrianM
05-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Now just because I said this does not mean I am a dork that drives a Subaru

Watch who you are calling dork! I am a Subaru driving dork. :rolleyes:

My other car (wifes car) is an '05 Subaru Outback. Absolutely the best car I have ever owned. Rides and drives great and handles great especially when it is wet. The safety is also second to none. It is a little low on power (I have just the 4cyl because I wanted better mpg on regular fuel plus my wife has a lead foot) but if you have the need for speed the new 250hp Turbo 4cyl or the 6cyl has plent of umph. I would also put the fit and finish of this car up against many of the more luxury cars (Volvo, Infinity and even Lexus). To top it off the powertrain is known to be one of the most bulletproof on the road.

jayocheskey
05-10-2005, 01:47 AM
I've got the same tires on my Chevy pick-up. They have over 30,000 miles on them and are in great shape. Nice smooth ride and they handle any ramp as well as a little off-road action every once in a while.

LakePirate
06-15-2006, 07:05 PM

Just got new shoes on the 'lanche today. Only got 72000 miles out of my BFG All Terrain TA (AT/KOs), I wonder if they will give me some money back? Slapped on another 4 and away we go. :dance:

kwood
06-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Go with the BFG A/T good in snow and ice, not good in mud they cake up. You will get at least 60k mileage out of them. Have them syped or however you spell that.

Ric
06-15-2006, 10:45 PM

obviously you weren't changing your air at proper intervals

Leroy
06-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Just replace my tires with the orginal Michelin LTX M/S also. Was $580, walk out price, at discount tire place here. 85k on first set.

LakePirate
06-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Just replace my tires with the orginal Michelin LTX M/S also. Was $580, walk out price, at discount tire place here. 85k on first set.

I guess I need to go get my old tires back and put 13k more on 'em.

Leroy
06-16-2006, 12:29 AM
For big machines we each did well!!

I guess I need to go get my old tires back and put 13k more on 'em.

jimmer2880
06-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Last weekend I went to move my MC trailer (boat is on the lift) & had a flat. Then, I noticed that it had a large slit & was about 25% peeled. :eek3:

Boy - that was a close one. Getting 2 new Marathons this week.

Rockman
06-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Takin' the Silverado in for tires tomorrow and getting the bigger BFs! :banana:

They had to get them from the warehouse since they are "E" rated.

The original Firestone Tires just did not cut it...but they lasted 116,000 miles! :eek:

Pics to come on Monday...

Workin' 4 Toys
06-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I am not buying that 700 + HP in a Ram/ Cummins story... LMFAO.... Dude, get real.... I'm a diesel fan and I know that even with a few mods and a reprogrammed EEPROM (chip), 700+ HP is not an option..... NFW.... :eek:

Help me understand your theory here, please??? Unless of course you robbed a Big Truck of its engine....

IOWs... I call BS!! :D Show me the dyno specs....

Don't bet him......:popcorn:

6ballsisall
06-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Don't bet him......:popcorn:

I wish I would have kept the truck just for Sporty :D

BriEOD
06-18-2006, 10:05 AM
I am not buying that 700 + HP in a Ram/ Cummins story... LMFAO.... Dude, get real.... I'm a diesel fan and I know that even with a few mods and a reprogrammed EEPROM (chip), 700+ HP is not an option..... NFW.... :eek:

IOWs... I call BS!! :D Show me the dyno specs.... :popcorn:

Oh Sh*t, here we go again. Have your spoon ready for all the crow you are going to have to eat when Jeff posts his Dyno specs.

6ballsisall
06-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Oh Sh*t, here we go again. Have your spoon ready for all the crow you are going to have to eat when Jeff posts his Dyno specs.
Nah, that post is from a year ago. I just saw it referenced. I thought the same thing though at first :D