PDA

View Full Version : alternator pulley??

goramz
09-19-2008, 10:39 PM
I have a 1994 205 and need a new alternator. I got one but it has the multigroove type pulley on it and I have a v shaped belt. Can I remove the pulley and place my current pulley on the new alternator or did I receive the wrong alternator for my boat? Thank you for any help.

88 PS190
09-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Depends on the offset, Yes you can remove the current pulleys, and they should swap (use an impact wrench or you'll be SOL on the removal)

But then check to make sure the alternators have the flanges in the same location, eyeball that before the swap.

Is the new one a marine alternator or did you just buy one at an autoparts store, they are different.

goramz
09-20-2008, 07:36 AM
yeah, it is a marine alternator that I got for a mastercraft. I don't have an impact wrench so I guess I will have to buy one or maybe I can take it to an auto place and they can do it quickly for me. Thanks for your help

Cloaked
09-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Take this for what it is worth to you.

Remove it carefully because the pulley flange can easily bend after a certain point of frustration. No need to ask me how I know..... :)

JimN
09-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Where did you get the new alternator?

As mentioned, it needs to be a marine unit.

If you don't have a pulley puller, take it to an alternator shop and have them swap them.

goramz
09-21-2008, 05:31 PM
I got it from a mastercraft dealer. I will take it to an alternator shop and have them change out the pulleys. Thanks for the help

JimN
09-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Did they know you have a V belt or do they just sell whatever they have in stock?

goramz
09-25-2008, 09:31 PM
no idea. I just gave them my specifics (forgot to mention the v belt) and I assumed that I would get the right one