PDA

View Full Version : Strut Bearing Replacement

TCrate
09-19-2008, 09:39 PM
1992 Prostar 1000 hours. I think it is time to replace the strut bearings. Who has done it and do you have any tips on the best way of getting them out?

TMCNo1
09-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Talk to Eric Johnson here, http://www.ojprops.com/products/strut_bushings and he can help you out with the bushing and instructions.

TCrate
09-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Sounds Good. I will give them a call.

93Prostar190
09-19-2008, 09:57 PM
I did it on my 93 Prostar 190 with powerslot .... I invested in a bearing/slide hammer remover and
I did the job myself.

Not to bad ... you will make alot of noise since the bearings require alot of bangs on the slide puller to get out and put in.

Some guys use a hacksaw blade to cut the bearings out first.

Another trick is to put the new bearings in the freezer overnight before sliding them in ..... the contraction may help at first.

To remove the shaft on a Powerslot, you may want to buy the proper socket / nut combo to help remove the nut from the shaft on the engine/tranny side. The 2 flanges dont seperate much to get a tool in there.

I got my bearing remover and socket nut from skidim.com

Check out the composite products from OJ in case they have a fitment for your boat.

Good time to make sure shaft alignment is good and a good time to replace the packing as well.

Time well spent. Good luck.

TCrate
09-19-2008, 10:01 PM
I helped my neighbor with an '88 powerslot get his out and they were a bear. He ended up removing the strut which I really do not want to do. Did the slide hammer work fairly easily or did it really take a lot of work to get them out?

93Prostar190
09-19-2008, 10:06 PM
It took some time but I did it ... it was a really hot and humid summer day, so I remember being a little hot tempered (pardon the pun) ... but the bearings moved and I was able to do it.

So I would not call it fairly easy but it is do-able. It certainly works just be patient and the bearings will go in and out. I prefer that vs. taking off the strut.

I am glad to have the tool because it helps remove the shaft as well.

88 PS190
09-20-2008, 01:56 AM
I did mine, pulled the strut, be aware you'll probably want to replace the hardware that bolts the strut to the hull.

Its stainless bolts+nuts, which on mine galled so badly that about halfway off I just ended up using a nut splitter. Stainless on stainless bad.

Anyway, slide hammer works, I cut mine, grabbed it with a needle nose vice grip and rolled in like a sardine.

New bearings were in freezer all morning, pulled out one at a time aligned and used a peice of all thread and some washers to draw it in place, did one side at a time. That way if you have to fiddle the other isn't warming up.

Strut goes on w/ new silicone

chico
09-20-2008, 08:37 PM
I did my 94 with a home made extractor,I machined a bushing the same size as the bearing and another hollow bushing the size of the strut,put a threaded rod thru them with a nut on the small bushing side,use a deep socket and impact gun,same thing going back together.