PDA

View Full Version : OIL PSI Question..........

rabooze
05-02-2005, 09:34 AM
I just got a Prostar 209, an '02, with the 330 HP Indmar engine in it. I took it out for the first time yesterday and had been running it for about 3.5 hrs straight. When I was waiting for my buddy to back the trialer down to pull it out, just sitting in idle, I noticed the Oil PSI gauage was sitting at about 10. I thought that was a little low. When I would give give it a little throttle, the gauge would move up a little to 20 or so. Is this normal or is this too low? I was thinking it needed to be around 40 at all times. Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert

Engine Nut
05-02-2005, 10:01 AM
I just got a Prostar 209, an '02, with the 330 HP Indmar engine in it. I took it out for the first time yesterday and had been running it for about 3.5 hrs straight. When I was waiting for my buddy to back the trialer down to pull it out, just sitting in idle, I noticed the Oil PSI gauage was sitting at about 10. I thought that was a little low. When I would give give it a little throttle, the gauge would move up a little to 20 or so. Is this normal or is this too low? I was thinking it needed to be around 40 at all times. Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert
The minimum oil pressure acceptable is 4psi at idle and 20 psi at 2000 RPM with an engine that is up to temperature. Your oil pressure readings are in the acceptable range but are a little lower than what we usually see. What weight of oil are you using? Indmar recommends 15W40. Your engine is a model referred to as an LTR. Have you taken it to your dealer to have the oil pump drive gear inspected? MasterCraft had a bulletin a couple of years ago and sent notifications to registered owners. If you haven't had yours inspected, I suggest that you do so as a precaution.

rabooze
05-02-2005, 11:03 AM
I just got the boat about 2 weeks ago. I am not sure if they had the Oil pump drive inspected or not. He said he was using a synthetic oil. Would this cause the presusre to be a little less than others? Should I take it by the dealer and have him check it out as a precaution? Thanks for any help you can give.

Engine Nut
05-02-2005, 08:46 PM
The synthetic oil might account for the drop in pressure. What weight oil is it? 5W or 10W anything is not acceptable. You need 15W or 20W to properly protect your engine. If you can give me the engine S/N I can check and see if the inspection/update has been done. The S/N starts with the letters IC followed by 6 digits. It's pretty important to know if it has been checked or not.

André
05-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Engine Nut
Again great infos!
You could receive a lot of mail out of this...LOL

rabooze
05-02-2005, 09:37 PM
My IC # is IC986353. It should be a 15W, that is what the previous owner said he was using. Thanks for your help.

lakes Rick
05-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Have you tried a mechanical oil pressure gauge?? Personally I dont hold much faith in the stock gauges....