PDA

View Full Version : Ski Ropes

krra1
09-19-2008, 01:53 PM
How long will a ski rope last before it should be replaced? I am starting to run a course and was wondering if ropes loose its "snap" after a few years.

sk8salomon
09-19-2008, 02:05 PM
really depends on a few things. #1, are you talking about a general purpose ski rope for open water sking or a sectioned slalom rope? you don't want to use anything that has serious wear or frayed areas for fear of a rope breaking. i have a sectioned masterline rope that is probably 7-8 years old, still in decent shape and i still use it as a backup rope. i've never measured it to see how "in-tolerance" the sections are because i really don't care. #2, what type of skier are you? combo skis, slalom open water, slalom course beginner/adv/intermediate,etc? a rope is a rope but just depends on how you use it! is it knotted? what brand of rope is it?

Willski
09-19-2008, 02:16 PM
I usually buy one every year or two. If you ski the course a few times a week, I think you would want a new one every year. Lose their stretch and start to fray usually. I broke a rope on on side of the handle a few years ago and it about broke my wrist!!

88 PS190
09-19-2008, 02:33 PM
We get about 2 years on one open water, then retire it to our I/O for general pulling combo skiers and general fooling around, they hang out there and we throw away our oldest ones.

krra1
09-19-2008, 05:30 PM
SK8Salomon
I am talking about a section rope. Just beginning to run a course but have been open slalom skiing for years.

Skipper
09-19-2008, 09:08 PM
I get a new rope every year. Replace the handle when it shows signs of wear. Don't want to get hurt after a rope/handle breaks.

ProTour X9
09-19-2008, 09:16 PM
I had one break on me maybe 2 years ago and it was about 10-15 years old, re-knotted it (we don't use it in the course, and could find a place where you could buy just the sections) and use it for pulling up extra skiers or general use. Our wakeboard rope is just a slalom rope with long line and thats about 5-10 years old still going strong.

Cloaked
09-19-2008, 09:21 PM
It will snap.....

:rolleyes:

D@MMIT BOY!

EricB
09-22-2008, 04:50 PM
A good slalom rope should not stretch or have any kind of "bungee" action to it. If it does, get a good rope. Then attach one end to your trailer hitch and the other to an immovable object and put a light tension on it. Keep it tight for several hours to get rid of the "springyness".

If your current rope is frayed, trade it for one that is not. It hurts when they break.

Itsme
09-22-2008, 05:00 PM
How long a rope will last depends on the initial quality and how you care for it.

If you buy the cheapie from the local marina and leave it in the sun and damp environment of your boat, it will have a short life span.

If you buy a good rope (straightline) and let it dry out of the sun when not in use it will last for years without sacraficing integrity.

Like most things, take good care of them and they will last.

Itsme
09-22-2008, 05:02 PM
A good slalom rope should not stretch or have any kind of "bungee" action to it. If it does, get a good rope. Then attach one end to your trailer hitch and the other to an immovable object and put a light tension on it. Keep it tight for several hours to get rid of the "springyness".

If your current rope is frayed, trade it for one that is not. It hurts when they break.

You acaually want a little stretch in your slalom line - just not elongation from use.
Most good lines come pre-streched in USA Waterski tolerances.