PDA

View Full Version : 03' Trailer Wheels Fell off at 65MPH!!!

mhunter
05-02-2005, 12:03 AM
I have a 03' single axle MC trailer and the left wheel came of at 65MPH on the highway and went bouncing all over the highway. There was nothing left of the studs. The dealer came out and replaced the hub on the side of the road just so they could tow it back and replace pretty much everything on the left side of the trailer. AND, then when the dealer was on his way back to the shop...the right side blew. He even checked the lugs and everything on the right side before he pulled out.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? The dealer is completely shocked!!!!

Signed,

Man without trailer... :eek:

MasterMason
05-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Never had it happen, but how is the boat?

jimmer2880
05-02-2005, 06:37 AM
Sounds like some loose lug nuts caused that. I've seen it on utility trailers before. It's a good idea to check them every now & then.

Not sure what happed to the other side blowing out though.

How's the boat?

André
05-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Wow! Talk about Murphy's law!!!
Is it a new trailer ?

mhunter
05-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Boat is fine. The trailer actually did it's job to protect it. I just can't believe it happened.

Ric
05-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Boat is fine. The trailer actually did it's job to protect it. I just can't believe it happened.
so was it loose nuts or did the lugs actually break off?
the hubs didn't come off with the wheels did they?

mhunter
05-02-2005, 10:18 AM
The dealer said the lugs were not loose. They are not sure what happened. They sent all the stuff back to Realible Axle for investigation. The hubs did not come off but the studs were sheared off on both sides. ALL 12 of them.

captkidd
05-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Did the tire on the right side blow out? Right side tires seem to have a shorter life as they are more likely to run off the edge of the road and hit a sharp object.

It seems that the only reason that all the studs would be broken is if the wheel became loose and wobbled around on there long enough to break the studs. It seems that my trailer has a sticker on it reminding me to check my lugs every 500 miles, but I try to do it about every other trip.

Ric
05-02-2005, 10:57 AM
The dealer said the lugs were not loose. They are not sure what happened. They sent all the stuff back to Realible Axle for investigation. The hubs did not come off but the studs were sheared off on both sides. ALL 12 of them.
maybe the next recall we see will be bad trailer lugs?

JEREMY79
05-02-2005, 10:59 AM
WOW that sucks.

phecksel
05-02-2005, 11:14 AM
I have a 03' single axle MC trailer and the left wheel came of at 65MPH on the highway and went bouncing all over the highway. There was nothing left of the studs. The dealer came out and replaced the hub on the side of the road just so they could tow it back and replace pretty much everything on the left side of the trailer. AND, then when the dealer was on his way back to the shop...the right side blew. He even checked the lugs and everything on the right side before he pulled out.

Signed,

File a report with NHTSA, that's how they determine a need for recall. there is currently a recall on travel trailer wheels, but don't believe your failure is the same. I'd suspect they got a bad batch of lug bolts, and there may be serious problem developing. I'm not sure if trailer mfg's have the same reporting requirements as auto companies, but after the Firestone fiasco, NHTSA gets involvement much much sooner with tire / wheel issues

mhunter
05-02-2005, 11:30 AM
They checked the tighness of the lugs on the right side after the left side came off. They torqued the lugs on the right side to 90 ft pounds. The right side came off 6 miles later... The tires on both sides were fully inflated when we got each of them in the ditch. I purchased new underware after this little deal.....DOH!!!

mhunter
05-02-2005, 11:33 AM
That's a great tip. I'd hate to see this happen to someone else...

jimmer2880
05-02-2005, 11:45 AM
They checked the tighness of the lugs on the right side after the left side came off. They torqued the lugs on the right side to 90 ft pounds. The right side came off 6 miles later... The tires on both sides were fully inflated when we got each of them in the ditch. I purchased new underware after this little deal.....DOH!!!

Ohh - I thought the right side tire blew. Yes - I agree, there must be something else working here.

tph
05-02-2005, 11:52 AM

Signed,

That's one of my nightmares!. Were there any warning signs before it happened. I.E. trailer sway or shaking or anything else?

AirJunky
05-02-2005, 12:08 PM
A couple weeks ago I noticed that I have one tire (out of 4) that is wearing a lot on the inside..... the outside 1/2 of the tread looks great but the inside is bald. I figured I'd pull it & have it replaced but haven't gotten around to it yet. Then mulling over why this would happen, it made me wonder if the bearings on that wheel were OK.

rodltg2
05-02-2005, 12:23 PM
this happened to me about 9 years ago with my ski brendella. i was driving down the highway when i saw my trailer tire pass me and bounce into a field. i had a tandem trailer so no real damage. i spent about 2 hours looking for it in a field full of weeds and fox tails. i couldnt find it so i had to leave and bring some friends back later to comb the field. what happend was the lug nuts just sheard off.

teamstreng
07-18-2005, 11:43 AM
This happened to me too this weekend comming home from KY to Ohio. What a scare and a long day! mhunter did they give you a new trailer? What should I expect?

bigmac
07-18-2005, 11:50 AM

Signed,

Man without trailer... :eek:Yup, I've been there...
This recent thread... (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=72529&postcount=2)

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Were the hubs full of lube, too full or maybe empty, brakes rubbing causing too much heat. Any stud damage? Metric studs or SAE used? Ever replaced?
Let us know what you find out, this is not what we need. Scary to know. Not to mention the scare it would put on the other drivers on the road.

Signed,

maristarman
07-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Not sure if you already talked to your insurance company, but before you do you may want to re-examine what happened.

Are you sure you were towing the trailer at 65 MPH?

Could you possibly have been going a little slower, perhaps the usual and customary 55 MPH that tow vehicles drive at?

;)

east tx skier
07-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Yikes, that sucks. Knocking wood, hasn't happened to me yet.

teamstreng
07-18-2005, 12:38 PM
No joking, it really was 55 MPH, it was a small country road. I think MagRed may have driven by and saw the carniage so he can attest to the location and speed possibilities.

I am pretty concerned about this not just for me but all MC owners. My world is slightly upside down right now. After all, if you can't trust your tire bolts, what can you trust? Scarry!

Ric
07-18-2005, 12:43 PM
No joking, it really was 55 MPH, it was a small country road. I think MagRed may have driven by and saw the carniage so he can attest to the location and speed possibilities.

I am pretty concerned about this not just for me but all MC owners. My world is slightly upside down right now. After all, if you can't trust your tire bolts, what can you trust? Scarry!
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I've said it before, trailers need to be a priority at MC and in our garage. They are so critical to a fun day at the lake.
My salesman mentioned to me that he hated trailers and I said, they are as much or more important than anything you guys sell.

east tx skier
07-18-2005, 12:45 PM
You said it, Ric. I check my bolts, tire pressure and bearings before every outing. Of course, I'm doing 100 miles there and back each time (about once a month) as opposed to 13 miles to our local lake. The distances I'll drive for smoother water.

dpowers
07-18-2005, 02:28 PM
You're not alone. We just came back from vacation and had the same thing happen to us. We also have a 2003 Mastercraft single axle trailer. The right wheel just flew off without warning on interstate 75. The tire tore the trailer apart. The trailer may be a total loss. The frame is ripped at the fender mount.

The wheel hit a Cadillac in the opposite lane, smashing their back window. The lug nuts were checked and torqued before we left on our trip. It never acted like anything was wrong, no wobble, no noise, no shake. Just a sudden bang and it was gone flying across six lanes of the interstate. All six studs were gone and the rim looked like the lugs were loose. Our trailer has never been overloaded and always maintained according to specs. Wonder how many others this is happening to or will happen to?

We too are without trailer. And our boat is stuck 450 miles away from home.

We bought our boat near Akron,OH.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2005, 04:11 PM
I've had numerous car haulers, snowmobile trailers, utility trailers, some even home built, and never have we had this issue. Before I read this thread, I never really even thought about it.
Between the trailers falling apart, boats sinking, blown motors, bent shafts and props, I wonder if I am in this for the fun, poorhouse or the possibility for self induced injury. HMMMM.... PLEASE someone tell me a positive story ................... I 'm having nightmares!!!!

Ric
07-18-2005, 04:35 PM
I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance

OhioProstar
07-18-2005, 04:45 PM
This could be a serious issue. I wonder if the hub assembles on a group of trailers are bad. If that is the case there are probably other boat manufactures with similar issues as a trailer might be quality controlled by the manufacture, but the hubs might be sourced from who knows where. I would think a little research on the other boards might turn up similar issues....MC might want to quickly address this before a class action can be brought.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2005, 04:48 PM
I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance
Thanks, I needed that!!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2005, 04:50 PM
This could be a serious issue. I wonder if the hub assembles on a group of trailers are bad. If that is the case there are probably other boat manufactures with similar issues as a trailer might be quality controlled by the manufacture, but the hubs might be sourced from who knows where. I would think a little research on the other boards might turn up similar issues....MC might want to quickly address this before a class action can be brought.
The way I've read it, looks like the nuts are coming off the studs and in turn causing............. I'm going to have to re-read all the issues at hand. Looks like there are similar but conflicting stories.

OhioProstar
07-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Sounded to me like nuts that were probably toqued and the studs somehow degraded to a point of fallure.

J. Patterson
07-18-2005, 05:13 PM
When son skied collegiate for Auburn Univ. They lost a wheel on a Nautique on the way to Collegiate All stars in 2000. They were pulling it with my van. Close call but all turned out ok. I wonder, were each of these incidents here with aluminum wheels? Remember , aluminum expands and contracts at a different rate than steel. Torque those nuts regularly on aluminum wheeled trailers! My old steel wheels may be ugly, but I have never lost one, and I have even towed to the Fla. Keys a few times.

J. Patterson
Trussville, AL

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2005, 05:25 PM
I just PM'd mhunter to let us know what the present status is.
J. Patterson
I think all newer trailers are equipped with aluminum wheels. And yes you are exactly right. As a matter of fact they are supposed to be torqued to a specific ft/lb then driven for about 50 miles then retorqued to that same spec., but with hydraulic brakes and the heat that comes along with them makes for a very interesting point. We will have to look into this.

Jerseydave
07-18-2005, 08:10 PM
About 8 years ago I was towing my 94 prostar to the dealer for service, pulled into their parking lot and heard a clunking sound..........
one wheel had 4 studs sheared off and only 1 lug nut holding the wheel on! We concluded that the lugs had gotten loose and wheel wobble had stapped-off the studs.

CHECK THOSE LUG NUTS!!!

teamstreng
07-18-2005, 09:59 PM
FYI: I found one of the bolts on the road side and the lug nut was still attached. No way that nut was loose.

Hoosier Bob
07-18-2005, 10:02 PM
I had the same thing happen and was told this is common with "ALUMINUM" wheels! Wagons ever since and no problem!

Leroy
07-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Good Teamstreng; Look on the broke end of the lug bolt and see if you can see if it is a fresh break all the way across the bolt or if part of it is rusted or discolored.

Strange all of these cases of broken lug bolts.

Hoosier Bob
07-18-2005, 10:13 PM
My lugs broke after the first two decided to work free. Then they all went. I watched my dangerously speeding wheel pass me by and hit some landscape ties. The wheel then crossed in front of me at an even more dangerous trajectory. They do not stop and pose a danger to all in their path. Dragged the boat on the hub and went skiing anyway! Sorry folks but the park's closed ain't happening to me!Good Teamstreng; Look on the broke end of the lug bolt and see if you can see if it is a fresh break all the way across the bolt or if part of it is rusted or discolored.

Leroy
07-18-2005, 10:20 PM
There you go Bob! Can't let the little things keep you from skiing!

Seems there are many things that can break a lug bolt.

Leroy
07-19-2005, 12:59 AM
From NHSTA internet site. Only recall like this I could find.

MasterCraft Boat Company

Models:

MasterCraft Pro Star 190 Year: 2000
MasterCraft Pro Star 195 Year: 2000
MasterCraft Pro Star 205 Year: 2000
MasterCraft Pro Star 205 VRS Year: 2000
MasterCraft Sports Star 19 Year: 2000
MasterCraft Maristar 210 VRS Year: 2000
MasterCraft Maristar 230 VRS Year: 2000

Number Involved: 1,200

Defect: This recall involves certain boat trailers equipped with 14" and 15" Unique Pro Wheels. Due to paint on the wheel hub, the lug nuts were not tightened properly. The wheels could loosen during travel, resulting in the wheel stud breaking. The wheel could separate from the trailer, causing a crash.

Remedy: Dealers will remove all paint from the wheel hub, re-install the wheel, and re-torque the lug nuts. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification began Nov. 20, 2000. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact MasterCraft at 1-800-443-8774, ext. 197. [NHTSA Recall No. 00V322

phecksel
07-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Actually the tread act requires feds be notified. Small companies could be in for a world of hurt if they are not doing that. After the firestone fiasco, NTSB pays close attention to tire/wheel issues.

As a consumer, I'd highly recommend filing a notice with NTSB.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-08-2005, 09:46 AM
What ever happened with this '03 trailer issue?? 2003 trailer brakes possible cause?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Good Teamstreng; Look on the broke end of the lug bolt and see if you can see if it is a fresh break all the way across the bolt or if part of it is rusted or discolored.

Could it be from excessive heat?

Davo
08-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Also, what types of boats do you guys own (those that have had this happen)? I'm curious if weight is a factor.

A 3,500 lb boat on a single axle would seem to have more exposure to this type of break than (for example) my '02 X5 (it weighs 2,450 - not including gear)....?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Also, what types of boats do you guys own (those that have had this happen)? I'm curious if weight is a factor.

A 3,500 lb boat on a single axle would seem to have more exposure to this type of break than (for example) my '02 X5 (it weighs 2,450 - not including gear)....?
'03 X7 to go with the '03 trailer. No overload here. I make a point to burn the fuel up before loading it mostly so I tow it empty. I just don't know...

PendO
08-08-2005, 07:23 PM
saw a late model (late 90's?) prostar along the side of the hwy 2 yesterday with the right side down on the axle ... somebody was helping them out and we just drove by ... now I curious what happened ... we rarely trailer, but I will be even more cautious now.

AirJunky
08-08-2005, 07:30 PM
We went to Twin Lakes on the Colville Indian Reservation last weekend & skied on glass all weekend long. On the way home to Spokane Sunday night we saw a '93 or '94 S&S, white with blue with the t-bar heading west bound.

Then this weekend we skied on Lake Mayfield on the west side of White Pass. On the way home over White Pass we saw the same boat heading west again! Neither time did I notice the rig pulling but I'd swear it looked like the same boat.......... 7 days & hundreds of miles apart!

Workin' 4 Toys
08-08-2005, 11:05 PM
I still need a solution....

phecksel
08-09-2005, 06:58 PM
I still need a solution....
Have you file an incident report with NHTSA?

Are the studs broken or missing?

mooseski
09-05-2006, 02:04 PM
I too experienced this problem. Three weeks ago, I had just came up to speed. All at once I see a lug fly off. In the next instance I see my tire come off and the rotor hit the highway. On closer inspection all six studs were broke off at the hub, fender shreaded, oil cap lost and tire destroyed. (I found two of the studs in the road with the lugs still attached.) While I am sitting beside the road waiting for the tow truck, a vechilce pulls up behind me. The individual came up to me and asked if by chance our boat was a 2003 (2003 Prostar 209 single axle trailer). I responded yes. They said they had the same thing occur. I am waiting for a response from Mastercraft. Preliminary indications are: Not covered by Warranty. :mad: If the same thing has occurred with other owners and a dealer has been able to verify that loose lugs were not the cause, it would seem that Mastercraft would do the right thing.

More discussions will be required.

NeilM
09-05-2006, 02:56 PM
IIRC, there was something (MasterCraft Service Advisory) out on 2002-2003 trailers, but I can't remember if it was for wheels coming off or for something to do with the torsion setup..

jclose8
09-05-2006, 05:13 PM
You should just be thankful nothing is SERIOUSLY wrong with your trailer..... you know... like the water intake ripping your bunk carpet.;)

Ric
09-05-2006, 05:42 PM
You should just be thankful nothing is SERIOUSLY wrong with your trailer..... you know... like the water intake ripping your bunk carpet.;) jclose, you mean like the brakes locking up or the spare tire bracket breaking off?

mooseski
09-05-2006, 07:34 PM
I'm all over that one too..or is it all over me?

jclose8
09-05-2006, 07:45 PM
jclose, you mean like the brakes locking up or the spare tire bracket breaking off?

Oh, yeah.... I forgot about those issues too. I guess your wheels flying off is next!!!:eek:

PendO
09-05-2006, 09:13 PM
I too experienced this problem. Three weeks ago, I had just came up to speed. All at once I see a lug fly off. In the next instance I see my tire come off and the rotor hit the highway. On closer inspection all six studs were broke off at the hub, fender shreaded, oil cap lost and tire destroyed. (I found two of the studs in the road with the lugs still attached.) While I am sitting beside the road waiting for the tow truck, a vechilce pulls up behind me. The individual came up to me and asked if by chance our boat was a 2003 (2003 Prostar 209 single axle trailer). I responded yes. They said they had the same thing occur. I am waiting for a response from Mastercraft. Preliminary indications are: Not covered by Warranty. :mad: If the same thing has occurred with other owners and a dealer has been able to verify that loose lugs were not the cause, it would seem that Mastercraft would do the right thing.

More discussions will be required.

1. This is an advertisement for a Tandem Axle Trailer
2. Get a torque wrench and check the torque on the lug nuts before you trailer

mooseski
09-05-2006, 11:34 PM
If you look at the very first post on this thread, the dealer thought it was a torque problem as well. The right studs broke on the way back to the shop after they had been torqued.

PendO
09-05-2006, 11:42 PM
If you look at the very first post on this thread, the dealer thought it was a torque problem as well. The right studs broke on the way back to the shop after they had been torqued.

the first post, you mean the one from 2005?

Properly torqued nuts on the proper grade studs with no manf. defect do not shear off ... and it is still an advertisement for a tandem axle trailer ... all it takes is 1 loose lug and it will end up shearing the others (nuts still on the studs) ... anyway, poor manf. is to blame :(

mooseski
09-05-2006, 11:55 PM
the first post, you mean the one from 2005?

Properly torqued nuts on the proper grade studs with no manf. defect do not shear off ... and it is still an advertisement for a tandem axle trailer ... all it takes is 1 loose lug and it will end up shearing the others (nuts still on the studs) ... anyway, poor manf. is to blame :(
Yep. That's the one. Perhaps the next move is tandem. Sometimes its difficult to be forced into doing something by default.

PendO
09-06-2006, 12:07 AM
mooseki you have a pm

limegreen
09-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Whoa! Welcome to the club!! I have an 03 also (Single Axle X9). My right side wheel and tire felt there independence one evening this summer coming home from the lake running about 70 mph (I mean 55mph) and it was the fourth of july back there. Boat was fine. Trailer totaled after much debate with the insurance. They gave me 4500 for it (new are 5400 or 6600 tandem) so I went and got a nice custom trailer like I always wanted. I never like the MC trailer anyway...rides too high, torsion axles like bouncing, fenders are UGLY (sorry MC), etc. My new one is tandem, rides a little lower, and looks real nice IMO (who elses matters?):D .

Luckily my new trailer was on order already when it happened - for the afore mentioned reasons. So I was only down a few days. If I would have had to fix it it might have been a while. Lets just say MC doesn't jump at the phone when it rings.

Interestingly when the insurance started the investigation they found an epidemic in 2003. Wheels and hubs not compatible. So MC has been making it right with the insurance companies after the fact is what I have heard. Don't worry about maintenance, torqueing etc. Those are all good and right, but the lack thereof did not cause this. I won't pull one of these again because of paranoia.

Words of wisdom:
Tandem, Tandem, Tandem.
MC builds boats. Trailer companies build trailers (correctly).

Hope your wounds heal quick...

-cg-

Signed,

Ric
09-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Oh, yeah.... I forgot about those issues too. I guess your wheels flying off is next!!!:eek: don't push my buttons fella

jclose8
09-06-2006, 10:06 AM
http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/1204.gif