PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding behind a 190 Prostar.

Abe
09-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi Guys, Just bought a 190 Pro (1990). It Has a new engine and the boat is is in great condition. My question is How good is the wake to board off, Will I need to add ballast. I just launched it last weekend without ski/boarding, am gonna be doing that this weekend. Weather permitting (crazy weather here in Scotland right now) I mainly board but other family members ski so i hope it turns out to be a good buy. any tips from any Pro star owners out there is well appreciated.
Thanx Abe. :cool:

rounhdhere77
09-17-2008, 12:37 PM
i had an 87 prostar, its not the best for wakeboarding but its alright for what i did.
more people or a fat sack would be a good thing to have when boarding since it is pretty much a ski boat.

flipper
09-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Need ballast for sure. The point of a PS 190 is NOT to have a wake. Get a couple fat sacks, and you'll be fine.

Abe
09-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Need ballast for sure. The point of a PS 190 is NOT to have a wake. Get a couple fat sacks, and you'll be fine.

Flipper, I was thinking of gettin one fat sac to replace the bench seat when only 2-3 of us are out on the water, do you think thats ok to start with.

flipper
09-17-2008, 02:22 PM
I have the fat seat in the back of mine, and seems to work pretty good, but some weight in the front would help. I'm not a big wake boarder, but the fat seat makes a huge difference in the wake for sure. I fill it with water to board, drain it, and fill it with air to ski. It's heavy enough, and a little water stays in there so it won't blow out. I do deflate it to go down the road though.

flipper
09-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Not my pic, but this is the kind that I have

Abe
09-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Not my pic, but this is the kind that I have

Cheers mate, I will keep that in mind

C36
09-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi Guys, Just bought a 190 Pro (1990)... ...My question is How good is the wake to board off, Will I need to add ballast...

Abe: My understanding (based on what others have said) is that ProStars were designed as three event boats begining in 1979. Yes they have flat wakes at slalom speeds, but the wakes were also designed to have a solid, well defined lip at slower speeds for trick skiing.

"1979 introduced the wider (and longer) hull as a "variable planing" hull to allow for an different wake for tricks (vs slalom and jump wakes) at the variable plane from a slower speed. At a slower plane the wakes were crisper for lift on the air tricks. Wakeboarding wasn't even thought about then."

So if this is correct, your 1990 (the last year of the 1986-1990) hull should also have a decent wake for wakeboarding (although I have heard one source refer to the 1986-1990 hull as a "weak" wakeboarding performer when compared to some of the other ProStar hulls).

As for loading ballast the attached article might be of interest to you.

Good luck with your new-to-you boat and please let us know what you think of its wakeboarding performance once you have ridden it yourself - as that is what really counts.

I hope this is helpful.

Click here (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6507) to view the source.

Abe
09-19-2008, 03:26 PM
C36, Thanks for the info there. I am out on the lake this weekend and will let you know how we got on. Cheers man.

JMann
09-19-2008, 03:47 PM
I just picked up a 91 prostar. The wake is OK with only 3 people in the boat but not that big. I had 5 people with 2 sitting in the back and it was awesome. I haven't spent any time behind a newer wake board boat so I have nothing to compare it to but it made a huge difference for sure.
I like the looks of the fat seat where can I get one of those?
Thanks

PointTaken
09-19-2008, 03:59 PM
I just picked up a 91 prostar. The wake is OK with only 3 people in the boat but not that big. I had 5 people with 2 sitting in the back and it was awesome. I haven't spent any time behind a newer wake board boat so I have nothing to compare it to but it made a huge difference for sure.
Thanks

eBay every now and then, BI, wakeside.com.

Abe
09-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks

Go on E bay mate, I take it you live in the states, they have a good range on that site.

lanier92prostar
09-19-2008, 04:23 PM
I have a 92. When we were really into wakeboarding, I had a fat sac in the back between the backseat and engine box and I had 150# of sand in the front. Not a huge wake, but good enough to do invert tricks behind.

Abe
09-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Abe: My understanding (based on what others have said) is that ProStars were designed as three event boats begining in 1979. Yes they have flat wakes at slalom speeds, but the wakes were also designed to have a solid, well defined lip at slower speeds for trick skiing.

"1979 introduced the wider (and longer) hull as a "variable planing" hull to allow for an different wake for tricks (vs slalom and jump wakes) at the variable plane from a slower speed. At a slower plane the wakes were crisper for lift on the air tricks. Wakeboarding wasn't even thought about then."

So if this is correct, your 1990 (the last year of the 1986-1990) hull should also have a decent wake for wakeboarding (although I have heard one source refer to the 1986-1990 hull as a "weak" wakeboarding performer when compared to some of the other ProStar hulls).

As for loading ballast the attached article might be of interest to you.

Good luck with your new-to-you boat and please let us know what you think of its wakeboarding performance once you have ridden it yourself - as that is what really counts.

I hope this is helpful.

Click here (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6507) to view the source.

C36. Yes you are spot on about the wake on this craft. Was out Today and it was OK, managed to jump w/w etc but I will be adding a sac to replace the rear seat as its easy just to lift it out and replace it with ballast when needed, also will be adding a few pounds underneath the bow.

lav
09-22-2008, 07:21 PM
not mine but here is a fat sofa for sale
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/626000.html?1221760634

PointTaken
09-22-2008, 10:36 PM
In our PS190 to wakeboard we put a sac on each side of the engine. For Wakesurfing we use a fat seat and one sac beside the engine. Both work very well.

Abe
09-23-2008, 08:19 AM
not mine but here is a fat sofa for sale
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/626000.html?1221760634

Lav, Thanks for that but I live in Scotland UK. I recently bought a Wakeboard Tower from the States and got absolutely hammered on import duty, tax etc. I paid the shipping costs $200 which the seller assured me was all I had to pay ( wont mention the seller just yet as am still trying to get some money back ). Ended up paying about $600. Anyway this has nothing to do with fat sacs just thought I,d mention it anyway. Thanks

Abe.