PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding injuries

kgrove
09-15-2008, 06:00 PM
What are the most common wakeboarding injuries? What are the most common mistakes that create them and how do you minimize the likelihood?

I'm picking up the sport late in life (40 something) and don't heal like I used to, nor am I in the kind of physical shape I was 20 years ago where I could abuse my body all day and have a good day at work the following day.

bwilson
09-15-2008, 06:33 PM
I just recently started wakeboarding. Been injury free up until the last 2 times I have went out.
Couple of weeks ago I caught an edge trying to do a surface 180 and hit the water ear first and thought I ruptured my ear drum (it rang for about a day or so). I ride with a helmet with earflaps now.

Last time I went out, I hit the water funny trying to clear the wake and strained my lower abdominal muscles. Still trying to recover from that. Not sure I could do anything different to prevent that. I did try hard to save the landing though. From now on I won't try to save it and just go down loose.

JohnE
09-15-2008, 07:13 PM
I'd say the most common would be knee injuries from those I've talked to. And to lend credence, my buddy s tore his MCL last month. He's a beginner,(as am I) but was trying to do a wake to wake and had a ton of speed. (Not sure why with all the speed he was only getting about an inch of air, but that's a topic for another thread)

vogelm1
09-15-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm 42 and tore my ACL two summers ago doing a w2w 180. Had done dozens of them without incident prior, and just fell "wrong" on that one. I know I've had much worse crashes doing other tricks. Just a wrong fall at the wrong time type of deal. The reconstruction surgery went fine and am back doing everything I could before, but at my age, it's forced me to "tone it down" some and not risk having that happen again. Other than that, go for it - try to train a bit in the off season, keep the legs and knees strong and stretch before you ride...

MMCCAR12
09-15-2008, 07:28 PM
My Back Is Killing Me Right Now From A Fall Last Week.

MMCCAR12
09-15-2008, 07:33 PM
stretch a lot if the water is cold. I am 57 and at least once a season hurt my back because i was to much in a hurry to have fun. You never know when you are going to have a bad landing or try and pull out of an out of shape trick, its better to let the rope go and try again than be a hero when wakeboarding.

dapicatti
09-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Let go of the rope!!!!! My wife separated her shoulder last year, I hurt my back, friends have injured knees, ankles, minor concussions. Get a helmet. You need your eardrums. We are both over 40, have a great time out there, but know we can't just heal up by the next day. Good luck.

mccobmd
09-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Knees and backs. One piece of advice I would give is don't get high end bindings. With looser bindings you can still go wake to wake and 180, for inverts, spins or 360+ you need them dialed in. It's a little like snow skiing, if the torque and force cause the board to come off then your knees's won't have to take the force. I rode a pair of "pro" bindings one time and that was enough. Second idea would be read the getting more air thread, height in wakboarding has more to do with technique and less to do with speed across the wake. When it come's to older bodies "Speed Kills"

coz
09-15-2008, 10:39 PM
What are the most common wakeboarding injuries? What are the most common mistakes that create them and how do you minimize the likelihood?

I'm picking up the sport late in life (40 something) and don't heal like I used to, nor am I in the kind of physical shape I was 20 years ago where I could abuse my body all day and have a good day at work the following day.

Eventhough we want to do it the same way we did it 20 years ago the consequences of misshaps are a little worse with each passing year :(

The knees kill me after every ride (but it's worth it) so get some cushy bindings for the landings. I'm the same age group so come out with us and we'll show you how to have fun with pain :D

2000mcxstar
09-15-2008, 11:38 PM
yeah I will second the helmet idea, I have blown my ear drum out twice this summer. after the first time, the doctor told me that i should be fine without a helmet. well the night after she ok'ed me to go back out, I blew it out again. now i have a helmet. granted you have to take into consideration that my doctor also wakeboards so I figured she knew what she was talking about.

wpauling
09-15-2008, 11:49 PM

I also started later in life. I find my ego, speed, not streaching, and keeping warm (H20 is 40 - 60 degrees) during falls are on my list.

I just tore my ACL 3 weeks ago and awiting surgery first of Oct.

Failure to streach\warm-up gets me in trouble sooner or later. Streach out prior to your runs. I start on land or on the swim deck and warm up. I also loop the handle's rope off the tower and lean against it to streach out my back, shoulders and arms.

If the water temp is cold, you should look into wet or dry suits. We go as late in the season as possible and dry suits are worth the coin.

As for the ego..... I agree with the others, DROP the rope and ride another day.

rem_pss308
09-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Im 45, been wakeboarding for about 5 years. I just had my first injury. ( Broke Foot ) came down on top of the peak of the wake. Cant explain that. Bindings were loose.

Most common injury is the knees though

wakeX2wake
09-16-2008, 11:30 AM
hahaha... good thread... not a lot of answers though... i'm 25 and i ice my knees and ankles for an hour or 2 every morning when i get to work... i try to stay off the anti-inflammatorys b/c they're terrible for your kidneys... (ie my dad is getting close to a kidney transplant)... good luck and ride hard... hell w/ the pain... life's too short to not experience the thrills... see my parks quote on my signature

Monte
09-16-2008, 11:42 AM
I busted my eardrum about two weeks ago. Felt great. I'm sure not as good as the leg and foot injuries..

vision
09-16-2008, 03:06 PM
As other have said, lack of stretching likely gave me my worse injury. I tore my groin muscles and lower abdominal muscle 4 weeks ago. You bruise in areas that you really never want to see black and blue. Still can not ride or even run. Hurt like a SOB. You can bet I will stretch the groin much better from now on. I fear my season is over. Sucks because Sept/Oct are the best months here in the Southeast.