PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Gear Problem

Abe
09-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Guys, Just purchased a 1990 pro star 190. The boat has just had a brand new engine fitted from our Mastercraft dealer here in the UK. (ford 351 5.8ltr). Took it out at the weekend and all was fine until I got back to the jetty to pick up passengers, Put the shifter gently into reverse to slow down and it kind of clunked into reverse and shot back pretty quick, the gear change was not smooth at. Had to drive round again and just idle in, Got back out on the lake and put it into reverse again and the same problem. The drive is not but the boat has just had a full dealer service. Any ideas why this is happening. All replies is appreciated Thanks.:cool:
Abe

andyhoyt
09-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Is the boat making any other noises when you shift into reverse? What RPM is your idle set at? Is it a powerslot or 1:1?

Abe
09-15-2008, 01:05 PM
No other noises, its a 1:1 and the idle was over 1000 rpm forgot to mention that. Thought that was a bit high.

TMCNo1
09-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Put the shifter gently into reverse to slow down and it kind of clunked into reverse and shot back pretty quick, the gear change was not smooth at.
Abe

At what speed going forward, did you go to reverse to slow down? Engine idle speed should be around 850 to 900 in neutral and 650 in gear.

Abe
09-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Was not going fast at all, Probably the equivalent to a brisk walk. Thought the idle was a little high at around 1000 RPM

Maristar210
09-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the world of inboard ownership, you're training has already begun. You're going too fast. Slow down, in and out of gear forward and use the reverse to help you dock. Good Luck....

Skipper
09-16-2008, 11:45 AM
May want to look at the shifter. You can eliminate the shifter as a suspect in just a few minutes. With the boat on the water:
1. disconnect the shift lever at the transmission.
2. start the engine and let it idle down.
3. use your hand to move the shift lever on the transmission to reverse.
4. if it does what it did before, it may be a tranny issue.....if not
5. if it is smooth, reconnect the shift cable
6. use the throttle lever to shift into reverse
7. if it is smooth, no problem with the shifter and cable...if not, you found the problem

88 PS190
09-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Idles a bit high, might want to tweak that down.

Otherwise reverse is not really useful you'll learn to approach docks such that reverse at idle speed is really about the only bit you'll use it, or to come to a complete stop when you are coming up on a person in the water.

Otherwise just check the fluid.

Picture it like a transmission in a car, you don't want to go from forwards to reverse if you are moving. There is a little bit of leeway there, because just like a car if you are going slow and pause in neutral you can slide into the other and go.

Abe
09-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks Skipper, and MC maniac. Just checked the idle again today and way too high at between 1000 - 1200 RPM. I turned the Idle adjust screw down as far as I could and its still the same, It has a brand new carb as well as engine fitted, could more adjustments be made on the carb.

Skipper
09-17-2008, 06:11 AM
Thanks Skipper, and MC maniac. Just checked the idle again today and way too high at between 1000 - 1200 RPM. I turned the Idle adjust screw down as far as I could and its still the same, It has a brand new carb as well as engine fitted, could more adjustments be made on the carb.

The throttle cable may adjusted improperly causing the engine to idle too high. Just diconnect the throttle cable at the carb. Then see if the engine still idles too high and/or if you can adjust the idle. If so, then adjust the throttle cable.

Abe
09-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks Skipper, I wil be back up up to the boat this weekend so I will give that a try.

Abe
09-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Hi Guys, Sort of got The problem solved. It was not the reverse gear but the idle speed that caused the problem. I had a good look around the carb and noticed that there was a hole on the manifold just under the rear of the carb, it was sucking in air to the carb and thus the idle was way too high (obviously there for a reason I think a hose is missing from it), anyway I plugged the hole which brought the idle right down, I then adjusted the idle screw back up to normal. and the gear change OK. Had a couple sessions wakeboarding then Checked all the gauges a few times and all oil levels. I took a few photos but cant seem to attach them to this message, but have sent them to the mastercraft dealer where I bought the boat. Engine is new (and carb) and they are investigating the problem now. Will post what the problem was when I find out. Cheers
Abe

Skipper
09-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Good deal.