PDA

View Full Version : Correct Thermostat

Napagary
09-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Newbie here, bought a 1976 Pro-Am last June. It's a MC clone but fairly nice for it's age. Put 10 hrs on the boat since purchase and always noticed the temp gauge hardly moved, the manifolds were barely warm. Bought some other parts from DIM and had them throw in a 143 degree thermo P/N RP026002E. Took it apart today and sure 'nuf, no thermostat. The new thermo fits in the intake manifold hole as it should however there is no recess for the thermo flange as I'm used to seeing? This causes the thermo flange to sit above the face rather than flush to it. The furnished gasket hole is slightly smaller than the O.D. of the thermo flange. I'm thinking this is gonna be a furrrr-ball if I put it togther like that??? Also noticed that the thermo has to be clocked correctly to avoid interference from the water splitter the bolts to the intake manifold????
About the engine - It has PCM on the manifolds so suspect they're the marinizer. There is no info tag on the rear of the intake manifold. This engine has been around. I'm guessing it's a 302, not a 351. Oil filter is on the left side of the block and there is no engine oil cooler. Anyhows, isn't the top end - heads, marine cooling, etc the same for both engines? Difference in displ is only the increased stroke?????
Thanks

ShamrockIV
09-14-2008, 06:52 PM
got a pic??
i have never seen a pro-am.
welcome!!!

Napagary
09-14-2008, 07:13 PM
yep working on the pictures
Thanks
Napagary