PDA

View Full Version : Hole in kick panel - sub?

Todd Brosius
05-01-2005, 06:03 PM
I read on this site the other day about Mastercraft precutting a hole in the kick panel for a sub. I have a 2004 Prostar 197 and am looking to upgrade my stereo with a 5 channel amp and sub. My dealer mounted my heater behind this same panel but my hope is that is mounted toward the midline of the boat so I can mount my sub in the precut hole. Anyone have experience using this precut hole in the kick panel to mount a 10" sub. Is it as simple as cutting the carpet, running the wiring, and screwing the sub into place? I'm guessing if I use the correct sub I won't need to enclosed it in a box? Exactly what does Mastercraft have planned for this application? I've tried asking my dealer other electronic questions but with little success. Can some one bail me out? My head unit is the XMD3 so I have only 4 preouts with the rear channel being designated for the sub if I'm wanting to control my sub from the head unit. I'm told I'll lose my fade, but that's OK with me. Or I'm told I could run the 4 preouts into the amp (one for each of the 4 speakers, let the amp work its "magic" and then connect my sub to the preout on the amp but then would not be able to control the sub level from the head unit. I'd like to go with the 5 channel amp to conserve space since my boat is a 197. I'm told there are several options and that's what scares me, because I would like to do the work myself. HELP! thanks.

Ric
05-01-2005, 09:14 PM
I read on this site the other day about Mastercraft precutting a hole in the kick panel for a sub. I have a 2004 Prostar 197 and am looking to upgrade my stereo with a 5 channel amp and sub. My dealer mounted my heater behind this same panel but my hope is that is mounted toward the midline of the boat so I can mount my sub in the precut hole. Anyone have experience using this precut hole in the kick panel to mount a 10" sub. Is it as simple as cutting the carpet, running the wiring, and screwing the sub into place? I'm guessing if I use the correct sub I won't need to enclosed it in a box? Exactly what does Mastercraft have planned for this application? I've tried asking my dealer other electronic questions but with little success. Can some one bail me out? My head unit is the XMD3 so I have only 4 preouts with the rear channel being designated for the sub if I'm wanting to control my sub from the head unit. I'm told I'll lose my fade, but that's OK with me. Or I'm told I could run the 4 preouts into the amp (one for each of the 4 speakers, let the amp work its "magic" and then connect my sub to the preout on the amp but then would not be able to control the sub level from the head unit. I'd like to go with the 5 channel amp to conserve space since my boat is a 197. I'm told there are several options and that's what scares me, because I would like to do the work myself. HELP! thanks.
I feel your pain
:popcorn:

Mag_Red
05-01-2005, 10:49 PM
I feel your pain
:popcorn:I'm thinking that when I add a sub I'll probably build an enclosure that would sit under the rear seat . That way I wouldn't have to cut any more holes in my boat. :twocents:

phecksel
05-02-2005, 11:25 AM

that hole is for the sub. Go with a big amp for the sub, I bought a used 222W sony and it's not big enough for the open sub I bought.

DanC
05-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Anyone have experience using this precut hole in the kick panel to mount a 10" sub. Is it as simple as cutting the carpet, running the wiring, and screwing the sub into place? I'm guessing if I use the correct sub I won't need to enclosed it in a box? Exactly what does Mastercraft have planned for this application?
yep, just trim the carpet. Designed for a 10" open air sub. Open air subs do not require a box. The old Mastercraft standard Clarion model sucked. I hear the new MC standard JL 10" open air sub is much better. Most folks are not fans of open air subs but enclosures do take up some room.
My head unit is the XMD3 so I have only 4 preouts with the rear channel being designated for the sub if I'm wanting to control my sub from the head unit. I'm told I'll lose my fade, but that's OK with me. Or I'm told I could run the 4 preouts into the amp (one for each of the 4 speakers, let the amp work its "magic" and then connect my sub to the preout on the amp but then would not be able to control the sub level from the head unit.
Both options will work and cost you nothing. Try them. I would first try the sub on the same channel as the front speakers. Nobody sits up there anyway ;)

Ric
05-02-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm thinking that when I add a sub I'll probably build an enclosure that would sit under the rear seat . That way I wouldn't have to cut any more holes in my boat. :twocents:
Mag yours should already have the drivers side opening for the sub as well?

rodltg2
05-02-2005, 12:48 PM
the carpet is easy to cut . mounted my sub in about 10minutes. wont sound as good as a box , thats why i added a second and third sub woofer.

peason
05-03-2005, 02:20 AM
Rod and Dan, cany you post a pic of your sub installed?

crdickey
05-03-2005, 03:20 AM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1404&highlight=clarion

Todd,

Check out my post which outlines how to set up your sub and still keep fader and balance controls with the head unit.

erkoehler
05-03-2005, 03:53 AM
I was out in an X9 that had the standard stereo by clarion in it, and I thought it sounded pretty damn good. We rode for most of the day listening to tunes, and nobody in the boat had a problem hearing it. Niether did the boarders and footers.

DanC
05-03-2005, 10:58 AM

I removed the complete kick panel. Easy to do, only about 3-4 screws. Relocated the computer. Installed an Infinity BassLink where your heater probably is. It's a tight fit.

rodltg2
05-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by peason

here is a pic of mine:

Todd Brosius
05-03-2005, 11:32 PM
Thanks for all the info and pics. I believe I'm ready to bite the bullet. Decided on the Alpine MRV-450 (5 channel amp). Then I'm hearing rave reviews of the new JL Audio Marine Sub so I've decided to go with that sub. Amp is on its way - I will purchase sub soon. Curious of what the amp will do first without the sub pushing 50w x 4 RMS instead of the factory 18w x 4 RMS. I will still install sub no matter what - just curious.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Be sure to put up some pics when you are done w/ it.

peason
05-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Rod, thanks for the pic.