PDA

View Full Version : Questions about New to me 1999 X-star

rem_pss308
09-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Just got it, and it needs some attention. I am hoping someone can answer a few questions I have.

I had a direct drive, and have never driven a V-drive.

#1 When on the trailer, or idleing the steering is very smooth, and free, but when on a plane it is hard to turn ( as in a double up )I have not tried to grease it yet.Is this normal?

#2 Can someone tell me where the Blower might be. It does not come on. So I need to check its condition.

#3 It has a heater. It doesnt work either Unless Its a switch that is not on the dash. Im guessing maybe a loose wire, or something. Where might I find the heater box ?

#4 It has the original clarion radio, 6-disc changer, (1) amp( 40 watts X 4), with (6) 6.5"speakers, and (1) sub.

It all sounds like crap. I know a little about sterios. and I plan on replaceing all of it.
But for the time being, I want to check this one out. Does the amp power any of the 6.5" speakers, or Just the Sub? Kind of curious how they have it set up. One amp for all those speakers just doesnt make sense.

#5 Anyone know if original skins are available for this boat in white?

thanks for any answers. you guys were a big help with my old boat.

Will get some pictures soon.

dummy
09-10-2008, 08:18 PM
#1 - dunno. Somebody with more experience than me can answer.

#2 - blower is on port side underneath alternator/exh. manifold. Pull the pins on the linear actuator and drop the port side engine panel and you'll see it down there.

#3 - dunno

#4 - Pop off the Clarion grille covers and check the condition of the 6.5s. On my '00 one of the 6.5 woofers was blown and two others had the tweeter domes punched in.

#5 - dunno

Not that helpful, but hopefully it'll get ya goin'.

Lennyp04
09-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Our 07 X-1 has free steering all the time no matter what speed the steering wheel is extremly easy to move but if you let go it still tracks straight. On the other hand my best friends have a 06 X-30 and while underway their steering wheel almost needs two hands to turn it where as i can drive mine with 2 fingers

B-rad
09-10-2008, 08:49 PM
1. you can try and grease the cable but it sounds like a replacement is in your future.

2. answered

3.chck the wiring, maybe the fuse is bad? etc. heater is behind the drivers kick panel.

4. yes that amp powers everything. Its probably worn out.

5. skins you can buy from MC but i suggest calling Jim Friant in TN, he used to work for MC but now is on his own, he does fantastic work at a great price. I think he lives in friendsville ,TN. Ill try to find his number.

hope this helps

rem_pss308
09-11-2008, 01:25 PM
One more!!!!

There are vents at the back of the boat, in the center. My Shower is installed there also. Are these vents to the heater, or just vents for the bilge?
I have looked at pics of other boats the same year and they have them.
Here is a pic.

btriantos
09-11-2008, 02:25 PM
#4 - you need a lot more watts to drive all that clean. Think about 400

bturner2
09-12-2008, 08:07 AM
1.) This boat is know for it's hard steering under way, that's not to say that the cable isn't bad. If the steering is loose when sitting on the trailer and tight in one direction while under way you may want to look at changing out the rudder to the 06 version. I did this on my 03 x2 and it made a world of difference. There are several posts on this site regarding this issue including a step by step replacement procedure.
2.) already answered
3.) There should be a valve on the starboard side of the engine block to allow water flow to the heater core as well as a fan switch on the dash. If it's turned off there maybe a reason for it. Look for leaks when you turn it on. My understanding is that the heater core is behind the sub woofer (behind the drivers side kick panel).
4.) Based on the year and overall condition of your boat my guess would be that it's time for new speakers. I have a simular set up in my boat that sounds very good. Much better the the stereo they put in my friend's new BU.
5.) Doubt they have the skins for a boat that old but you can check with your local dealer or there are several great dealers that cruise this post. If you can't find them from MC there are several posts that list people that make skins for older boats. A couple are retired MC employees that do great work at reasonable prices.

The vents in the picture above are for the blower. Follow the black tubes under the hatch in the back and you'll find the blower.

TMCNo1
09-12-2008, 09:10 AM
#5- This post, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=503986&postcount=1, explains what is available as of July 2008, anything prior to that, you are on your own basically.

TMCNo1
09-12-2008, 09:13 AM
5. skins you can buy from MC but i suggest calling Jim Friant in TN, he used to work for MC but now is on his own, he does fantastic work at a great price. I think he lives in friendsville ,TN. Ill try to find his number.

Here is a link to JIM, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=176680&postcount=1

rem_pss308
09-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies as usual you guy have lots of answers.
Im just going to need a day to start checking things out.
Sterio is low priority.
Heater might be a problem. Dont really need it much. but I drove it today for about 45 minutes and was able to pump some water out of the bilge. I know lots of places that it could come from.

swatguy
09-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Most of the stuff ahs been answered.

I own a 2000 X-Star. Skins can no longer be had unless someone has some hiding in a warehouse. Steering shouldn't be that tight. I just replaced the steering cable on my boat due to roughly what you described. IT's and easy replacement.

rem_pss308
09-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Most of the stuff ahs been answered.

I own a 2000 X-Star. Skins can no longer be had unless someone has some hiding in a warehouse. Steering shouldn't be that tight. I just replaced the steering cable on my boat due to roughly what you described. IT's and easy replacement.

When you changed yours. did it make it easier.
My pro star 205 steering could be turned underway with two fingers.

oakley
09-14-2008, 02:57 PM
I have some original 99 skins. I think I have the rear bench and rear back. I also think I have the observer and maybe even a driver skin. The mastercraft stitching is in red. They are new unused. They are in my storage unit but if you are interested, I can lay them out and see what I have and get you some pics.
I had plans to get a 99 xstar a few years ago that is why I have these skins. The local dealer sold and were liquidating some parts that they never used and did not want to move.

rem_pss308
09-15-2008, 12:44 PM
I have some original 99 skins. I think I have the rear bench and rear back. I also think I have the observer and maybe even a driver skin. The mastercraft stitching is in red. They are new unused. They are in my storage unit but if you are interested, I can lay them out and see what I have and get you some pics.
I had plans to get a 99 xstar a few years ago that is why I have these skins. The local dealer sold and were liquidating some parts that they never used and did not want to move.

PM sent

Yes I am interested.

My colors are white with red lettering.