PDA

View Full Version : Great excuse NOT to pull a tube

Monte
09-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Fish Flies Out Of Lake, Breaks Arkansas Teen's Jaw:rolleyes:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/08/ap/strange/main4424823.shtml

(AP) It's a fishing tale that packs a wallop so strong it broke the jaw of a southeastern Arkansas teen and covered him in fish blood and guts.

Seth Russell, 15, of Crossett, was cruising Lake Chicot on a large inner tube towed by a boat when a Silver Asian carp leaped from the water and smacked him in the face. Seth was knocked unconscious.

"He doesn't remember anything at all," the boy's mother, Linda Russell, said last week. "He was laughing, and the next thing he remembers, he is waking in a hospital."

The teen has had oral surgery to wire several teeth together and still experiences back pain that doctors attribute to whiplash from the high-speed collision, his mother said.

He's not the only one who's has a run-in with the "flying" Silver Asian carp.

"They do not fly, but they are quite good jumpers," said Carole Engle, director of aquaculture and the fisheries center at the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff. "Over the past year, we have had some calls about fish jumping and causing injuries on Lake Chicot.

"Their jumping behavior is a problem, and their population appears to be growing there," Engle said.

Silver Asian carp were first imported to the United States in the 1970s. Catfish farmers brought them here to remove algae and other suspended matter from their ponds. The Environmental Protection Agency started a program allowing cities to use the fish to help clean the water in sewer treatment plant ponds.

___

mrprostar
09-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Carp are scum of the earth and now they are fighting back for throwing their friends on the shore and letting the birds eat them.

Monte
09-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Carp are scum of the earth and now they are fighting back for throwing their friends on the shore and letting the birds eat them.

Sure... Blame the carp:rolleyes:

captain planet
09-09-2008, 01:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UQbn_O2XvA&feature=related

Video of them jumping. I wouldn't want to hit one of them.

jcush313
09-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Those flying carp are some serious business!!! i have seen my fair share on the river and hope the lord baby jesus that they dont get into our lake! but i guess it would get some of the stupid ahole tubers and jet skiers off the lake!

bbymgr
09-09-2008, 01:35 PM
After seeing that video, some of those fish were jumping 5-6 feet out of the water and would hit alot of people skiing as well.

Monte
09-09-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm websensed from youtube at work. Streaming media is filtered.. I'll have to check it out when I get home..

flipper
09-09-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't know if it's an excuse to not pull a tube or not....the tuber may deserve it. Might be more of a reason to go buy a tube.:D

ShamrockIV
09-09-2008, 02:16 PM
wrong place at the wrong time!!!

jcush313
09-09-2008, 03:05 PM
the thing i dont understand is that it magically appeared in a lake? they are all in the rivers but they would have to be put in a lake unless its fed by the river! Scary crap!

3event
09-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Yeah those things would take out a skier as well. How about if you were footing at 43mph, and a 20# fish impacted your knee?

Video is nasty ! Time to toss some sticks of dy-no-mite into that there river and be done with it !!!!!

repeeples
09-09-2008, 04:26 PM
lake chicot is an oxbow that was formed by the mississippi. i think it is one of the biggest oxbow lakes in the states. not sure if it has any 'feeders' from the mississippi but i imagine silver carp have been around awhile, so they may have always been in there.

i personally wouldnt do ANYTHING in that lake....except maybe go fishing for carp.

TMCNo1
09-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Could be the beginning of a new sport, "Carp Skiing"! Rope between the legs and hit as many with a baseball bat in 850' @ 36 mph!:rolleyes:

repeeples
09-09-2008, 04:56 PM
or you could combine 'carp skiing' with this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPaxIpoyM0