PDA

View Full Version : Tried the new Dodge Challenger last night...Wow

BeavenX5
09-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Just a little tease, I got the chance to ride in the new Challenger last night. Wow, what a nice car. Everyone would stop dead on their tracs to look at this car. Nice.

A picture is worth a thousand word...

ShamrockIV
09-09-2008, 09:51 AM
did u pull the trigger????

they are sharp. alot nicer looking than the new camaro.

BeavenX5
09-09-2008, 09:51 AM
and another one...

ntidsl
09-09-2008, 10:09 AM
holy cow...I'd dont even like cars really but wow...wowwowowowow!!!!

thats freakin hot!

wow...did they put 440s or 426 hemis in those back in the days?

Monte
09-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Those cars are bada$$...

BeavenX5
09-09-2008, 10:15 AM
No I am not getting it. A neibourgh of my friend works for Chrysler...

This one was the RT/8 with the hemi 6.1 liters...not sure what is the equivalent in Cubic inches... 367 I beleive if I convert using my RC car equivalent. (3.0=.18)

flipper
09-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Those are some nice looking cars. Did you get to see what it could do?

BeavenX5
09-09-2008, 10:55 AM
a little... 65 in a 30MPH zone (but in something around 5 second). That would be a $960 ticket +insurance +driving licence renewal premieum = $2500 total cost. This is all we could afford...

The sound alone was priceless...

MMCCAR12
09-09-2008, 11:19 AM
What Was The Sticker Price On That Thing ?

Dball
09-09-2008, 11:25 AM
AWESOME!!! I can't wait for the camaro to hit the streets. I don't understand why it is taking so long for the camaro to be released. Ford changes the mustang ever other day. LOL

damaged442
09-09-2008, 11:39 AM
I am definitely impressed with the new Challenger. I wish it came with the T-56 6 speed, but I guess that's for next year. Someone brought a black one to a local cruise-in last week. I like the orange better, but regardless of the color, it still draws attention. One thing I noticed it that it is a BIG car, much bigger than I thought it would be. They managed to mimic many of the things that made the '70 Challengers what they were. It looks awesome sitting still, but even more so driving. If I could afford one, I'd grab a 6-speed version for next year! I've always been a GM guy, but IMO, you can keep the Camaro!

454Prostar190
09-09-2008, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=damaged442;538261]I am definitely impressed with the new Challenger. I wish it came with the T-56 6 speed, but I guess that's for next year.

I feel the same way and yes, next year in the 2009's will be a manual 6 speed with a ******n pistol grip shifter:D. Should be fun!

BeavenX5
09-09-2008, 11:57 AM

No idea what the sticker price is. It was not for sale...

According to Dodge.com Build My Own: the MSRP of the SRT8 is $41,695 + options...= $43,885

454Prostar190
09-09-2008, 12:23 PM
I read in one of my hot rod magazine subscriptions that you can buy just a rolling "Challenger" shell without an engine or drivetrain to set it up for racing yourself.

Prostar Rich
09-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Does Mopar have any plans to offer a convertible?

Prostar Rich

funk
09-09-2008, 05:50 PM
We make this part..

RexDog1
09-09-2008, 06:10 PM

I saw one on the lot for $49,000. It looks good, drives heavy,:o stops well, nice power!!!

But they need to work some parts…….. lot of plastic on the inside, some parts look cheep ??? :confused:

All in all it is a nice car, but the New Camaro will kick its butt ………………………….IMHO:D

kingu
09-09-2008, 10:48 PM
My brother bought this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260263303589

I don't think the pics are still available. It's the orange one with the nav system and sport tires but no sunroof...the only three options available.

The "Buy It Now" was just under $49k. It's a pretty wicked car. The Camaro won't be able to touch it. ;)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-09-2008, 10:57 PM
AWESOME!!! I can't wait for the camaro to hit the streets. I don't understand why it is taking so long for the camaro to be released. Ford changes the mustang ever other day. LOL

Well.......

It seems everyone here forgot about the UMP's prediction on that. ya know, NOBODY wants to admit when I am right.

I said it LONG ago, that GM would totally boch this Camaro launch and they did. Ford has been soaking up the market like a dry sponge with those retro stangs, and Now Dodge is going to sit down and enjoy a nice, big slice of that market too.

and you know what I say? GOOD FOR THEM! GM had that Camaro prototype ready to go years ago now, and its still NOT on the ground yet. bad on them. by the time they get that car on the ground, the market is gonna be dried right up. sure, they will sell a few to die hard Chevy buyers, but its not going to make the major impact like the retro stang did and the challenger now is. and I just sit back and smile........

Dodge has a great looking car in that Challenger.

To bad GM cant get with the program.

09-09-2008, 10:59 PM
OH I am sure that those Challengers are going to walk all over the Camaros..... in sales and performance.

bcampbe7
09-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Good looking car.

Well.......

It seems everyone here forgot about the UMP's prediction on that. ya know, NOBODY wants to admit when I am right.

I said it LONG ago, that GM would totally boch this Camaro launch and they did. Ford has been soaking up the market like a dry sponge with those retro stangs, and Now Dodge is going to sit down and enjoy a nice, big slice of that market too.

and you know what I say? GOOD FOR THEM! GM had that Camaro prototype ready to go years ago now, and its still NOT on the ground yet. bad on them. by the time they get that car on the ground, the market is gonna be dried right up. sure, they will sell a few to die hard Chevy buyers, but its not going to make the major impact like the retro stang did and the challenger now is. and I just sit back and smile........

Who is it that you work for again? I so confused... :D

kingu
09-09-2008, 11:02 PM
The Challenger was about 10 months late also. I think the Camaro will sell well, I just don't see it out-performing the Challenger. Road and Track put the Challenger head-to-head against the Shelby GT-500 and won. The Shelby was faster but the Challenger was more consistent...that's what R&T said anyway. I haven't driven at Shelby, so I can't comment.

TMCNo1
09-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Well.......

I totally agree!

TMCNo1
09-09-2008, 11:10 PM
I don't guess GM has seen this either, http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/truck/09/07/dodge.pull.truck.support.ap/index.html
Sales are down across the board and GM wonders why! Are they next on the cutbacks?

Workin' 4 Toys
09-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Well.......

the market is gonna be dried right up. sure, they will sell a few to die hard Chevy buyers, but its not going to make the major impact like the retro stang did and the challenger now is. and I just sit back and smile........

Well, you're wrong. I guess you will have to wait and see yourself, and admit your wrong.
OH I am sure that those Challengers are going to walk all over the Camaros..... in sales and performance.
Oh, and wrong again.

Ric
09-10-2008, 09:40 AM
saw a black one running around town here a couple of weeks ago. It is one fine lookin ride but it's still a dodge and I'll wait to see the camaro to make a ruling thankya ump.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-10-2008, 09:47 AM
hUMP. Something for you to see...
http://www.sema.org/Main/ArticleDetail.aspx?contentID=59804

h2oskifreak
09-10-2008, 10:31 AM
My friend just ordered one and he tells me it will have 425 H.P. That's gettin up there.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-10-2008, 10:40 AM
My friend just ordered one and he tells me it will have 425 H.P. That's gettin up there.
Very cool. And at 4140lbs it's going to need everyone of them.
First thing to do, put exhaust on it. And then, drive it like he rented it.;)

Workin' 4 Toys
09-10-2008, 10:43 AM
http://www.allpar.com/photos/dodge/challenger/new-and-old.jpg

http://www.allpar.com/photos/dodge/challenger-rt/SRT8.jpg

http://www.allpar.com/photos/shows/NY08/challenger-se.jpg

http://www.allpar.com/photos/dodge/challenger-rt/interior.jpg

09-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Well, you're wrong. I guess you will have to wait and see yourself, and admit your wrong.

Oh, and wrong again.

OH yea, like I expect you to agree with me. :rolleyes:

I am right. I dont have to wait for anytyhing. its over. they boched the launch. end of story. car should have been on the market a year ago. there was TONS of interest in it then. TONS. now, everyone has forgot about it. nobody ever asks about it anymore. they should have struck while the iron was hot. They screwed up. plain and simple. accept it. They could have hit a "grand slam" with this car, and instead they ended up with a "walk".

09-10-2008, 11:52 AM
of course I dont know anything about this being in the retail car biz for 14 years watching market trends and consumer demands.......

bcampbe7
09-10-2008, 11:56 AM
blah, blah, blah...

They could have hit a "grand slam" with this car, and instead they ended up with a "walk".

At least they didn't get beaned in the head and a run scored, right?

6ballsisall
09-10-2008, 11:58 AM
of course I dont know anything about this being in the retail car biz for 14 years watching market trends and consumer demands.......

Don't you for for a GM dealer too UMP?? ;)

09-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Olson Johnson is RIGHT!

6ballsisall
09-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey UMP I heard they are going to have a Diesel version of the Camaro. That of course will make it far superior. What do you have to say about that!

Maristar210
09-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Don't you for for a GM dealer too UMP?? ;)

I think Jeff has a stuttering issue today..

Hi Jeff:wavey:

6ballsisall
09-10-2008, 12:26 PM
I think Jeff has a stuttering issue today..

Hi Jeff:wavey:

I think Roddell and his Grammer and Spulling has rubbed off on me. 8p

Maristar210
09-10-2008, 12:31 PM
I tried the veal.

Spilled a little suace on my 69 RS SS Upholstery but what the hell at least they didn't turn pink. :)

Hey WFT

Buy a Toyota or show me a picture of that damn garage, it's your choice !!! :)

09-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Howard Johnson is RIGHT about Olson Johnson's being right.

MIMC
09-11-2008, 11:26 AM
OK, OK - I have to chime in! Yes I am a GM guy, and yes I have to admit - the Challenger IS a gorgeous ride (followed one into work today) - however Dodge is targeting a niche market. GM is targeting a larger market to gain as many sales as possible. It does take longer to bring a vehicle to production if you proliferate option content. The Camaro will have a 300 HP V6 as a base vehicle - the Challeneger does not. The SS Camaro will be in the 400 HP + range and has many more options than the Challenger. IMHO both rides are gorgeous, but when the Camaro comes out in Feb 09', the level of quality will speak for itself. ;)

MIMC

RexDog1
09-11-2008, 12:02 PM
OK, OK - I have to chime in! Yes I am a GM guy, and yes I have to admit - the Challenger IS a gorgeous ride (followed one into work today) - however Dodge is targeting a niche market. GM is targeting a larger market to gain as many sales as possible. It does take longer to bring a vehicle to production if you proliferate option content. The Camaro will have a 300 HP V6 as a base vehicle - the Challeneger does not. The SS Camaro will be in the 400 HP + range and has many more options than the Challenger. IMHO both rides are gorgeous, but when the Camaro comes out in Feb 09', the level of quality will speak for itself. ;)

MIMC

I am a GM Guy also, and I would like to agree with you but….. I can’t, GM drug their feet on the new Camaro to long and it will be a “niche market” car. I am doing a frame off now with my son on an 69 Camaro and I am going to have book end cars and hugger orange 69 and hugger orange 09 and yes the 09 Camaro will be a Kick butt car, but it will not be a “hit” and will fall into the “niche market” GM blew it……………………….. IMHO:rolleyes:

damaged442
09-11-2008, 12:24 PM
To me it seems that GM is doing the same thing with the Camaro as they did with the SSR. By the time it comes out, it'll be too late.

I'll be honest though, I can't wait to drive em both. However, I am bitter that GM will never come out with another 442! (sigh, sniff) Oh well, can't win em all!

Willski
09-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Why is GM taking so long on the camaro? It was at shows as a concept 5 years ago wasn't it?

kingu
09-11-2008, 12:33 PM
The Camaro will have a 300 HP V6 as a base vehicle - the Challeneger does not. The SS Camaro will be in the 400 HP + range and has many more options than the Challenger.

For '09, the Challenger will have a V6 option (the SE) and will also have an R/T version along with the SRT8. Manual gearbox will also be available.

BrianM
09-11-2008, 12:43 PM
For '09, the Challenger will have a V6 option (the SE) and will also have an R/T version along with the SRT8. Manual gearbox will also be available.

True but the V6 Challenger is a DOG. Inside Line just recently did a test on it and complained about how heavy and underpowered it was.

kingu
09-11-2008, 12:55 PM
True but the V6 Challenger is a DOG. Inside Line just recently did a test on it and complained about how heavy and underpowered it was.

I agree, but I don't expect the V6 version of any car like that to be any better. I personally don't se the point in having a V6 "muscle car".

BrianM
09-11-2008, 01:04 PM
I agree, but I don't expect the V6 version of any car like that to be any better. I personally don't se the point in having a V6 "muscle car".

They were pretty impressed with the 300hp V6 in the Camaro. They tested a test mule and this is a quote from the article "The 2010 Chevrolet Camaro V6 will not be the lowly poseur's car we've come to expect of the small-engine pony car... 2010 Chevrolet Camaro V6 will be quick enough to at least get a car enthusiast's attention."

Fact of the matter is the majority of these muscle cars will be V6 versions. I don't know what the exact numbers are but Ford sells something like 2 or 3 to 1 V6 to V8 Stangs.

mrprostar
09-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Since we are all sharing our HO's, here's mine. First all of the above mentioned factors have something to do with it taking so long (ie: many options, trying to cut costs so they can make money and a car selling for less than $20k, etc.) But GM has been losing money for several years now and they are not going to release a car that is geared toward a market that is not spending money. They are not going to release a new car that probably doesn't produce that good of margint to begin with in a time of "recession" or whatever you want to call it. Dodge is giving away trucks, used lots are full of other gas hogs, and GM and Ford are pushing fuel economy to the max. Companies the size of GM have teams of economic researching and they are telling them now is not a good time to release the car. They may have missed out on SOME sales by not releasing it for 08 but they won't have one more car pushing them further into the red during a slow time for the cars like it.

ridesdirt
09-11-2008, 11:11 PM

The '09 six speed stick car will have independent rear suspension, the preproduction unit I know of does... I didn't see that one coming.

htytdy87
09-11-2008, 11:36 PM
I saw one, silver, in Houma, LA. The sticker was 41,900.

canadianskier
09-14-2008, 02:15 AM
up here in Vancouver B.C. canada, local dealer has them listed in the paper for $79,889. But everything up here is more $$$$ than down there.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Hey WFT

Buy a Toyota or show me a picture of that damn garage, it's your choice !!! :)

Well, buying a toyota pos is never going to happen here.
Which part of the damn garage would you like to see? I'll see if my polaroid has film and someone at the shop will scan it and add it to some photohost site for your viewing pleasure...Not quite sure I have enough light to satisfy Ric's requirements though.

TMCNo1
09-18-2008, 10:27 PM
We have an auto train/truck distrubution center here in our little town for Ford, Mazda, Honda and Chrysler and two transporters full of Challengers, all colors, (9 each truck) were parked this morning in the shopping center parking lot while they were eating breakfast at Hardees. I must have made 10 laps around the trucks looking at and underneath all those beauties.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Guy up the road at the Harley dealer has one. With some real nice exhaust, it's a MUST have upgrade if nothing else.

3event
09-25-2008, 03:17 PM
I was a new dealer for service on my fleet car today, and they had (2) Challengers:

Challenger SE, w/3.5V6 in electric blue w/leather, sticker $29K
(this one was actually pretty sharp, had not seen one in that color)

Challenger SRT8, orange/black, sticker $41K, plus an additional $10,000 dealer markup !!!!! Sold ! :confused: