PDA

View Full Version : wake surf boat

mccobmd
09-08-2008, 11:08 PM
It would be nice if they would develop a wake surf edition of the X1, X2 or even X15. Load up the ballast on the port side with quick emptying pumps along with a ski locker and nose tank. Have it all hard plumbed on 3 pumps with switches and make it an option package. The wakesurf sector is growing and Centurion ENZO is clearly marketing to it. It is something I would have paid for the upgrade on my X1.

sand2snow22
09-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Rumor is, MC already has one in the works. But I bet it might have a sticker 3 times the price of your X1 :o

kgrove
09-09-2008, 01:19 AM
I love the idea of a wakesurf boat, but it has some difficulties. Most important, not everyone surfs on the port side. The ideal surfboat would allow you to put a good wave on either side depending on the rider with no more difficulty than a good wakeboard boat can change the size or shape of the wake to suit each rider. Surf boats require more weight than wakeboard boats, so you might end up losing storage on both sides of the boat unless you made people pick a side at purchase.

ShamrockIV
09-09-2008, 09:05 AM
loss of storage is always an issue. that is the main problem with hard tanks!!

i hear the enzo is a surfin machine!!!!!!

anybody ride behind one??

wakeX2wake
09-09-2008, 09:16 AM
anybody ride behind one??

sorry man... don't do crappy boats... :D... naa i've heard they're a beast but i just REALLY don't like the interiors on centurions... or any other manufacturer for that matter... my buddys '07 SANTE 210 has his interior tearing to pieces and my other friend's '08 moomba xlv we're hoping it cranks every time... the centurion has some nice features but i just couldn't see buying a boat that is made specifically for wakesurfing... its just so far from the needs of other sports... unbalanced ride, super low speed, little engine power required, and shape of the wake isn't massively important

ShamrockIV
09-09-2008, 09:24 AM
sorry man... don't do crappy boats... :D... naa i've heard they're a beast but i just REALLY don't like the interiors on centurions... or any other manufacturer for that matter... my buddys '07 SANTE 210 has his interior tearing to pieces and my other friend's '08 moomba xlv we're hoping it cranks every time... the centurion has some nice features but i just couldn't see buying a boat that is made specifically for wakesurfing... its just so far from the needs of other sports... unbalanced ride, super low speed, little engine power required, and shape of the wake isn't massively important

we surf ALOT!!
i hear you on quality issues, but maybe MC can incorporate more surf friendly features.

kgrove
09-09-2008, 01:15 PM
loss of storage is always an issue. that is the main problem with hard tanks!!

Somebody needs to rethink hard ballast tanks. There is alot of wasted space inside the hull. If MC could design hard tanks that conformed to the shape of the hull, they might be able to add as much or more ballast to the boats without sacrificing as much storage space. The blocky shapes they use now don't utilize the hull volume well. It's like putting rocks in a jar instead of sand - leaves alot of wasted volume. I'm sure the difficulty with tanks that conform to the hull is they would have to be custom designed for every boat.

ShamrockIV
09-09-2008, 02:15 PM
The blocky shapes they use now don't utilize the hull volume well. It's like putting rocks in a jar instead of sand - leaves alot of wasted volume. I'm sure the difficulty with tanks that conform to the hull is they would have to be custom designed for every boat.

man that is some yoda type stuff right there!!!

i agree with you but you would think that MC could devise custom tanks for each boat. they have not had many hull changs in each model lately!! shoot the x1 hull has been around forever!!

wakeX2wake
09-09-2008, 03:12 PM
i think the real issue w/ the amount of ballast the boats have isn't the size or design of the tanks they put in them but the amount of weight the boat can legally hold... something about bouyancy and legal stuff...

Sodar
09-09-2008, 03:18 PM
i think the real issue w/ the amount of ballast the boats have isn't the size or design of the tanks they put in them but the amount of weight the boat can legally hold... something about bouyancy and legal stuff...

Exactly. The Coast Guard regulation limits the amount of stock ballast you can put into a boat. Actually, if any of you surfers found a less than friendly "water patroller" they could write you up for unsafe boat practices and overloading above the stated limits. Granted it would take a real jerk to do this, but it is possible.

ShamrockIV
09-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Exactly. The Coast Guard regulation limits the amount of stock ballast you can put into a boat. Actually, if any of you surfers found a less than friendly "water patroller" they could write you up for unsafe boat practices and overloading above the stated limits. Granted it would take a real jerk to do this, but it is possible.

sounds like from some of the other threads this could be a real issue since it seems some law enforcement people are just looking to write tickets!!

kgrove
09-09-2008, 03:32 PM
I doubt the ticket would stick unless they went to the effort of weighing all the people and ballast, otherwise they couldn't prove anything. Still a good point about legal limitations MC and other manufacturers would face and why they may not have already developed a better ballast solution. You'd think they could still develop more space efficient ballast for the 1000 lbs they do put in that leaves more room for aftermarket ballast that doesn't rob the boat of so much of the storage.

ShamrockIV
09-09-2008, 03:37 PM
the issue is being able to remove the ballast. if you do not mind having it there when u trailer and cruise up and down the lake(which my family never does) it would not be an issue.

kgrove
09-09-2008, 03:44 PM
I was thinking conformal tanks that still fill with water (and empty) just like the current square hard tanks but that take less room. A tank only a few inches thick that conformed to the inside of the hull and ran up the side of the boat from the stern to about where the rear tower bar anchors would hold about 500-800 lbs of water and barely take out any space. I'm probably overlooking something other than design difficulty that would make this a bad idea vs the current hard tanks.

ShamrockIV
09-09-2008, 03:52 PM
u sound right on kgrove. you must be some kinda engineer.

as we all know storage is at a premium on our boats so any way we could save some space would be nice!!!

kgrove
09-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Fortunately for the safety of the rest of the world, I flunked out of engineering. Lends real strength to my argument for conformal ballast tanks, doesn't it?

ShamrockIV
09-11-2008, 08:42 AM
bump!!!!!!!

endl
09-12-2008, 02:57 PM
As far as tanks go, I would think you could design the tanks to be a part of the boat so that when the top half and bottom half go together then what void space you had designed becomes the ballast tank.

I think pump wise MC has about the best pump system out their. We all wish they could fill and mty faster but they actually do a real good job. I have buddies with other boats that constantly have problems with the "sprinkler system" applications not working well and standard bildge pumps just not being heavy enough for extra duty cycles.

Wake Surf specific boats

wakesurf101
09-17-2008, 07:19 PM
hey does anyone have any suggesting for weighing down my x15 for surfing?

wakesurf101
09-17-2008, 07:21 PM
any suggestions for weighing down a x 15 for surfing?

03 35th Anniversary
09-17-2008, 07:52 PM
If you have all the ballast tanks under the floor, and you develope a leak.

How would you fix it with out pulling the whole top cap??? Remember molded seat bases.....

I know anything can be done, but the more engineering that goes into stuff like this the more money the boat is going to cost.

rodltg2
09-17-2008, 07:55 PM
As far as tanks go, I would think you could design the tanks to be a part of the boat so that when the top half and bottom half go together then what void space you had designed becomes the ballast tank.

I think pump wise MC has about the best pump system out their. We all wish they could fill and mty faster but they actually do a real good job. I have buddies with other boats that constantly have problems with the "sprinkler system" applications not working well and standard bildge pumps just not being heavy enough for extra duty cycles.

Wake Surf specific boats

I believe the Wakecrafts are like that.

TMCNo1
09-17-2008, 08:12 PM
I believe the Wakecrafts are like that.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_50_1.gif

coz
09-17-2008, 08:38 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_50_1.gif

Get out there and ride #1 :D

erkoehler
09-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Fill stock rear ballast on one side, fill KGB ballast, add sac to rear compartment on whatever side you surf, and put all people on one side.

If you can't surf that.........well, its not the boat.

PondWater
09-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Have to agree with the last post. It is not the boat at that point. My X1 with the Port side loaded and the center loaded is a great wake to surf. Add some human weight and it is fantastic.

I will say that I have not had as much success surfing behind larger boats. The X2 has been good, but once you get into the 22 foot and above boats I find them hard to weight properly and they do not have the crisp wake I've seen in the 20 foot boats.

Roonie's
09-18-2008, 10:02 AM
I would say the weight limitations are the key. My stock ballast is only 830 #'s and the coast guard plate says max weight is 1440 #'s or 11 people. A wakesurf boat would be great. At least they could make something that has the stock ballast and then all plumbed for add on, and then they could sell the add on kit extra. Make it easy so as to just do quick connect fittings. Yes I have the full fly high system with quick disconnect fittings in my boat but it did take some plumbing/ bloody knuckles and a little thought to get it in. Even so it still looks like an afterthought add on and not part of the boat per say. I would also like to see either a fresh air exhaust system or side exhaust. The good thing about a surf setup is that you can only fill stuff half way and it doubles as an awesome boarding wake too.

88 PS190
09-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Those weight limitations are to do with swamped boats supporting X amount of weight on the foam floatation (which is probably why those hard tanks you complain about don't conform to the hull, that foam has to be somewhere)

Ditch the foam to have bigger hard tanks, and still want your interior space and now your rating goes down because you don't have the foam floatation.

MC's from what I've seen have higher ratings than other manufacturers (and actually float)

And the only time I've seen tickets given for ballast (besides in no wake zones) were due to the riders using lead/sandbags etc.

Since the coast guard rating doesn't care about if your engine is swamped so long as the passangers have a hull floating to cling to water ballast is ignored, but hard ballast still pulls boats down when they swamp.

As far as MC providing more factory ballast, if the owner can fill up the factory ballast and cause the boat to handle poorly, or swamp resulting in possible injury/damage/death and its because MC provided ballast sufficient to cause those problems do you think someone's gonna try to sue? Please this is America.

wahoogator
09-24-2008, 09:13 PM
The easiest way is with fat sacks, they are available in all shapes and sizes...

fintek9
10-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Fill stock rear ballast on one side, fill KGB ballast, add sac to rear compartment on whatever side you surf, and put all people on one side.

If you can't surf that.........well, its not the boat.

True that!!!!!!Big enough for ya? Thanx again Too Tall:D

SteveO
10-26-2008, 02:07 PM
One consideration may be the addition of attitude plates, yes plates, to either side of the transom. It is not a new idea,(as picture below from wakeworld demonstrate) and rumor has it that a MC rep has a pair on his X2.

Pstar94
10-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Epic boats have a great set up goin. 2 long tanks that go along the whole boat under the floor. great so that if u wanna surf you just fill one side and it fills the whole side of the boat not just the back. all together the tanks hold 4K!! wow. has anyone been on wakeworld and seen that wake plate thing (not sure of the name, wanna say ricochet maybe. idk) pretty cool. makes the wave hugeeee.

kgrove
11-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Not big enough for me, but a couple saline sacs and those would be sure D-cups.

brian08X1
12-26-2008, 04:26 PM
any ides out there for a MC X1, am also looking for more surfing ballast. right now it is non-ideal fat sacks and garbage cans.

wakeX2wake
12-26-2008, 04:35 PM
www.maxwake.com or something like that... good deals on factory blems... lots of weight... 600-800 should give you a fair surf wake

1boarder
12-26-2008, 06:09 PM
the best move for the x1 is to take out the hard tanks and add a fly high pro x series 750 pounders in each back compartment. It fits perfect. Get the V drive sacks (400 each side) and you still have room for a cooler in the compartment. You will be able to store wakeboards in the compartments when the sacs are empty (you can't fit one in with the hard tanks now). It is an easy conversion as you use the same pump line and vent. Add a check valve on the vent and it will suck the sacs up like a raisin when you empty. I also had fly highs in the ski locker and under the front seats. I used the quick disconnects and switched between the 750s and 400s depending on how many people were going to be in the boat.