PDA

View Full Version : Home protection

TX.X-30 fan
09-08-2008, 05:29 PM
I bet this couple will get some home security. Sounds like they are lucky to be alive

http://www.star-telegram.com/229/story/880230.html

flipper
09-08-2008, 05:37 PM
That's crazy, good for them!!!!

justinglow
09-08-2008, 05:38 PM
I saw that on the DFW news last week. The two robbers got just what they deserved, well one did for sure. Good thing it happened in Texas or they might be getting sued right now in some other state for protecting themselves and their property!!

Monte
09-08-2008, 06:13 PM
That's insane! Glad the robbers got what they deserved...

bigmac
09-08-2008, 06:18 PM
I saw that on the DFW news last week. The two robbers got just what they deserved, well one did for sure. Good thing it happened in Texas or they might be getting sued right now in some other state for protecting themselves and their property!!

Oh Tx.X-30 fan, you're so naughty...:D

I don't think there's a state in the US where those folks would be charged with anything. Virtually all states provide for one's home as being a retreat of last resort - one's duty to flee to avoid using lethal force ends at the front door. In the vast majority of the US, invade someone's home - you place your life in jeopardy.

The thing that sets Texas apart is that you can kill someone to protect your property, not just save your life. In Texas, steal someone's lawn ornament - you place your life in jeopardy.

TX.X-30 fan
09-08-2008, 06:28 PM
I agree they did all they could just to stay alive. I think you can steal pink flamingos without being thrown down on. :D

bigmac
09-08-2008, 06:57 PM
I agree they did all they could just to stay alive. I think you can steal pink flamingos without being thrown down on. :D
But blowin' those flamingo-stealin' bastards away is legal, and by god how else are they gonna learn their lesson?

justinglow
09-08-2008, 07:30 PM
But blowin' those flamingo-stealin' bastards away is legal, and by god how else are they gonna learn their lesson?

Exactly bigmac!

JimN
09-08-2008, 07:30 PM
"I don't think there's a state in the US where those folks would be charged with anything."

Haven't been to Wisconsin, have you? Here, if someone chases someone outside and kills them, it's not something the DA gives a hearty handshake for.

M-Funf
09-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Virtually all states provide for one's home as being a retreat of last resort - one's duty to flee to avoid using lethal force ends at the front door.

True, but therein lies the rub...he went outside onto the front lawn, shot one guy as he got into the previously stolen Honda, then shot the 300 pounder when he got up off the lawn...

I seriously doubt there will be much of an investigation based on the homeowners injuries and their story, though.

bigmac
09-08-2008, 09:48 PM
"I don't think there's a state in the US where those folks would be charged with anything."

Haven't been to Wisconsin, have you? Here, if someone chases someone outside and kills them, it's not something the DA gives a hearty handshake for.

True, but therein lies the rub...he went outside onto the front lawn, shot one guy as he got into the previously stolen Honda, then shot the 300 pounder when he got up off the lawn...

I seriously doubt there will be much of an investigation based on the homeowners injuries and their story, though.

Maybe I read the article wrong. Or maybe you did. IIRC, the bad guys were still armed when the bruhaha went outside as the parents were trying to get the fight away from their kids. OUTSIDE was when the homeowner finally got the shotgun, and at that point the other guy was still armed with a handgun. Shot the 300 lb malefactor and the skinnier one with the handgun. I assert that NO grand jury in ANY state would indict. Even Wisconsin.

And yes, Wisconsin tends to have a rather liberal interpretation of it's self-protection laws, but everything this couple did would have been within the law in Wisconsin and I predict they wouldn't be any more likely to be charged there as they would in Texas.

TX.X-30 fan
09-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Yes there was from what it said a continuing threat to their safety even as the brawl rolled into the yard. I want no part of the dude the wrestles away a shotgun from a 300lber.

ncsone
09-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Its been a while since I took my training for a concealed handgun permit. But, if I recall correctly, Texas law states that you can use enough force to stop the offending action on your property. 5 or 10 rounds in the back of an intruder probably would not be looked on too favorably by a grand jury. Then again, any time you go in front of a Grand Jury, you put your fate in the hands of others to make a correct decision. Just my $.02 on this.

JimN
09-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Part of the problem here, where we're one of two states that don't allow concealed carry, is that we are required to try to escape an intruder and also to allow them to leave. Going outside after intruders doesn't happen often but one thing that would be in the homeowner's favor in a situation like this is that they didn't own the guns.