PDA

View Full Version : Who has been to Sandals Inn Jamaica (Montego Bay)

Monte
09-08-2008, 12:15 PM
For our 10 year anniversary I have booked a trip to stay 6 nights at the Sandals Inn. It is the smallest of the Sandals resorts, but is the only one with room service included and a B&B feel. We will have access to all activities offered by the Sandals Resorts. What I am looking for is recommendations for the different activities. What did you do, what did you like, and what could you have done without. Thanks in advance for your responses..:cool:

SkiDog
09-08-2008, 02:39 PM
If this is for yaor 10th anniversary, then why are you taking her to Sandels, and not hedonism? heck with her NEW look, she'd be right at home!:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:D

Monte
09-08-2008, 02:44 PM
If this is for yaor 10th anniversary, then why are you taking her to Sandels, and not hedonism? heck with her NEW look, she'd be right at home!:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Eh not my cup of tea.. That is a swinger joint isn't it:rolleyes:

bcampbe7
09-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Never been to Sandals, but my wife and I went to Grand Lido Negril. Very nice place and no (or very few) kids. Also, Hedo (can't remember which number) is right across the street. Went over there to check-it-out and saw some pretty odd stuff.

dummy
09-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Stayed at Dunn's River for our honeymoon 'bout 8 years ago. Did Ochos Rios. Pretty forgettable - you walk up the waterfall holding hands in line with a bunch of other tourists. Only memorable thing about it was the 2 local ladies who got in a knife fight in the parking lot while we were waiting for the shuttle back to the resort. Surreal.

You can go tubing on the river. It's relaxing and they bring along beer.

We went to the Sandals Ochos Rios for dinner a couple times. Good restaraunts. At Dunn's River resort they had scuba, waterskiing, parasailing, and lots of watercraft you could check out. Only thing for scuba is if you're not already certified you needed to get up early for the class.

Have fun.

TX.X-30 fan
09-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Never been to Sandals, but my wife and I went to Grand Lido Negril. Very nice place and no (or very few) kids. Also, Hedo (can't remember which number) is right across the street. Went over there to walk around and saw some pretty odd stuff.

Due tell!!! :D

bcampbe7
09-08-2008, 03:02 PM
[/B]

Due tell!!! :D

One thing that was burnt in my brain was a lady walking a guy on a leash. The lady was also holding a whip. We left shortly after that. :uglyhamme

flipper
09-08-2008, 03:04 PM
One thing that was burnt in my brain was a lady walking a guy on a leash. The lady was also holding a whip. We left shortly after that. :uglyhamme

Did this guy happen to be from tx and own a x-30?

bbymgr
09-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Stayed at Sandals Ocho Rios in 2000 and Sandals Royal Caribbean in 2005. Make sure you utilize all the resorts near you. You get free transfer service to the other Sandals. If you want to have dinner at one of the nice restaurants at one of the other resorts, make reservations on the first day there. These get booked up quickly. I would highly recommend the Royal Thai Restaurant at the Sandals Royal Caribbean.

RexDog1
09-08-2008, 03:16 PM
For our 10 year anniversary I have booked a trip to stay 6 nights at the Sandals Inn. It is the smallest of the Sandals resorts, but is the only one with room service included and a B&B feel. We will have access to all activities offered by the Sandals Resorts. What I am looking for is recommendations for the different activities. What did you do, what did you like, and what could you have done without. Thanks in advance for your responses..

Yep I have been Montego Bay :D stayed there 3 times, it is a fun time!! Most of the people are on their honeymoon or on their anniversary, the good thing you are 5 minutes from the airport so no long bus drive from heII :rolleyes: to get to your resort, the down side is the airplanes taking off all day long and the sound?? It is not so bad??:rolleyes: But it is something you should know….. The other good thing being so close to the airport is the day you are coming home you don’t need to have a long 2 hr drive back to the airport, so you can drink more at your resort!!!:D Yes they have MC boat and you can ski from 8 to 11 I think??? But if you get to know the boat diver and tip on the down low…. they will get the boat out at 6am and take you around the beach to the north to a NICE bay,, glass for days!!!! And they ski you ski it is so nice!!! PM me if you would like more info…. You will have a good time!!!! And you drink like a fish at the bars!!!!!

Monte
09-08-2008, 03:23 PM

That pretty much puts an exclaimation point on why I'm NOT going there;)

TX.X-30 fan
09-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Did this guy happen to be from tx and own a x-30?

Can't go anywhere and let your hair down. :mad:

bcampbe7
09-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Yep I have been there:D stayed there 3 times, it is a fun time!! Most of the people are on their honeymoon or on their anniversary, the good thing you are 5 minutes from the airport so no long bus drive from heII :rolleyes: to get to your resort, the down side is the airplanes taking off all day long and the sound?? It is not so bad?? But it is something you should know….. The other good thing being so close to the airport is the day you are coming home you don’t need to have a long 2 hr drive back to the airport, so you can drink more at your resort!!!:D Yes they have MC boat and you can ski from 8 to 11 I think??? But if you get to know the boat diver and tip on the down low…. they will get the boat out at 6am and take you around the beach to the north to a NICE bay,, glass for days!!!! And they ski you ski it is so nice!!! PM me if you would like more info…. You will have a good time!!!! And you drink like a fish at the bars!!!!!

The bus rides are a trip!

It was basically like riding in a Greyhound bus down a sidewalk in New York City! :D

Monte
09-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Yep I have been there stayed there 3 times, it is a fun time!! Most of the people are on their honeymoon or on their anniversary, the good thing you are 5 minutes from the airport so no long bus drive from heII to get to your resort, the down side is the airplanes taking off all day long and the sound?? It is not so bad??:rolleyes: But it is something you should know….. The other good thing being so close to the airport is the day you are coming home you don’t need to have a long 2 hr drive back to the airport, so you can drink more at your resort!!! Yes they have MC boat and you can ski from 8 to 11 I think??? But if you get to know the boat diver and tip on the down low…. they will get the boat out at 6am and take you around the beach to the north to a NICE bay,, glass for days!!!! And they ski you ski it is so nice!!! PM me if you would like more info…. You will have a good time!!!! And you drink like a fish at the bars!!!!!

Good info. The MC was one of my big deciding factors;) I plan to use that as much as any other option. Say there is glass to be skiied? I was a little concerned about riding in the ocean waves, but they sure make it look flat in the brochures:cool: I hate to ask, but since it IS Leah's vacation too, how far to shopping:(

TX.X-30 fan
09-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Was it a long whip or just the riding crop??

bcampbe7
09-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Good info. The MC was one of my big deciding factors;) I plan to use that as much as any other option. Say there is glass to be skiied? I was a little concerned about riding in the ocean waves, but they sure make it look flat in the brochures:cool: I hate to ask, but since it IS Leah's vacation too, how far to shopping:(

One thing about jamaica is you may want to stay on the resort as much as possible (or only go out with the resort tours). Outside of the resorts, Jamaica is not a nice place to be (at least it wasn't back in 2001).

Monte
09-08-2008, 03:33 PM
One thing about jamaica is you may want to stay on the resort as much as possible (or only go out with the resort tours). Outside of the resorts, Jamaica is not a nice place to be (at least it wasn't back in 2001).

You are a Saint brutha:D

bcampbe7
09-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Was it a long whip or just the riding crop??

One of these (best I remember).

http://www.sporthorseproducts.com/images/111203clasic.gif

Was it good for you TX? :D

TX.X-30 fan
09-08-2008, 03:41 PM
One of these (best I remember).

http://www.sporthorseproducts.com/images/111203clasic.gif

Was it good for you TX? :D

Stings a little in ocean water. :D

RexDog1
09-08-2008, 03:44 PM

It was basically like riding in a Greyhound bus down a sidewalk in New York City! :D

LOL yep
I stayed in Ochios Rios and I got so sick and scared white

jkski
09-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Went to Sandals Dunns River for our honeymoon about 11 years ago and it was great. At that time they had 4 or 5 restaurants on site and you could visit others if you wanted to.
Definetly go and climb the falls, YES it is a tourist trap but worth doing. Be sure to check-out the exchange rate and know that when you shop you can barter on most anything. One thing I noted was that while Sandals is an All-Inclusive and states "No Tipping", the people who quickly whisked our bags off to the shuttle bus, did not work for the resort, therefore tipping is somewhat required.
Great place and you will love it.

94PS190
09-08-2008, 04:22 PM
I would definatly go off the resort. I loved seeing the real Jamaica. Hire a cab driver to show you around. Mine took great care of us and made sure we didn't get into places we shouldn't be. He even went into all of the bars with us. Somwhere I have a picture of my girlfriend at the time feeding a goat inside one of the local bars. Rick's Cafe is a must stop. Great sunsets and cliff diving.

atlfootr
09-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Here I go again :rolleyes:

RexDog1
09-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Yes Tip on the down low, and they will never forget you for it!!!!

Tipping your bartender $40. The first day will pay off all week long!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

For a weeklong trip??? $200. In tips should do it??:D

atlfootr
09-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Been there, done that ... :D :rolleyes:

http://www.sandals.com/main/royal/rj-highlight2.cfm

Monte
09-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Been there, done that ... :D :rolleyes:

http://www.sandals.com/main/royal/rj-highlight2.cfm

Man, those swim up rooms are expensive.. 10k for a week:eek3:

RexDog1
09-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Stay away from the high-end resorts if you are looking for a fun people at your resort very stuffy and older......... we stayed at the Grand Lido http://www.superclubs.com/brand_grandlido/resort_negril not supper high end but it was stuffy for me,

IMHO it is about the people you meet at the resort and party with!!! Hedonism is just a little crazy side ….. and if you are over 30 you will be that creepy guy……….:rolleyes:

RexDog1
09-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Oh I forgot about Rick’s it is a day trip from Montego Bay BUT a fun place if you would like a day trip away from the resort http://www.rickscafejamaica.com/history.php

And you must cliff jump!!!! :D

Monte
09-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Oh I forgot about Rick’s it is a day trip from Montego Bay BUT a fun place if you would like a day trip away from the resort http://www.rickscafejamaica.com/history.php

And you must cliff jump!!!! :D

That looks like a good time. Did Sandals offer a shuttle to Ricks or are you on your own?

RexDog1
09-08-2008, 05:29 PM
That looks like a good time. Did Sandals offer a shuttle to Ricks or are you on your own?

Yes sandals will take care if it for you

Monte
09-08-2008, 05:31 PM
For some reason Bob Marley has been singing in my head all day:rolleyes:

coz
09-08-2008, 05:35 PM
For some reason Bob Marley has been singing in my head all day:rolleyes:

Me too!

http://amsterdamrestaurants.net/images/bob_marley_000.jpg
Then again he's always singing in my head :cool:

Naste Craft
09-08-2008, 07:06 PM
I went to Ochios Rios for my honeymoon it was amazing. The bus ride was intense!!!!

Just a few things to remember.

-Buy all your rum at the airport before you leave it's the best price by far.

-Stay on the resort or only do thigs through the resort Jamica is not a safe place.

-If you go shopping in some of the open air markets the vender's are very aggressive to try to get you to buy things. But if you are smart you can turn the against each other and get stuff cheap. If you look at one booth/stand get ready to look at everyones things or they will get p!ssed at you for not looking.

-It's leagle to smoke anywhere on the resort, so I hear....:rolleyes:;):D

-Take advantage of going to other resorts for dinner or just to hang out for the day.

ntidsl
09-08-2008, 07:42 PM
I work for Sandals full tme and would welcome any questions via PM. I think of Royal Caribbean as my second home as I spent over 40 days there last year. SMB probably 10-12 and SINN about 10. Purty much know every resort in and out so fire away whenever.

Monte
09-08-2008, 09:28 PM
I work for Sandals full tme and would welcome any questions via PM. I think of Royal Caribbean as my second home as I spent over 40 days there last year. SMB probably 10-12 and SINN about 10. Purty much know every resort in and out so fire away whenever.

PM sent

ProStar190Fan
09-08-2008, 09:53 PM
I went to the beaches which is just next door and the scubu diving is AWSOME. if you have never scuba dived its well worth the try.

Tom

Monte
09-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Definitly snorkeling, I can already tell it is going to take some convincing to get my wife scuba diving..

ProStar190Fan
09-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Definitly snorkeling, I can already tell it is going to take some convincing to get my wife scuba diving..

see if they have an intro to diving dive. I went on an intro dive at beaches and got hooked. I did all my certs the following year there. and i guess i won't suggest a night dive.

Tom

94PS190
09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Some old pics of my ex in Jamaica. We are in some roadside bar. It was big fun. Yes, that is a goat inside the bar.

Monte
01-26-2009, 09:13 AM
OK it is Ocho Rios.. Leaving Thursday AM for Jamaica.. Anybody have any advice that has not already been mentioned?

trickskier
01-26-2009, 09:35 AM
OK it is Ocho Rios.. Leaving Thursday AM for Jamaica.. Anybody have any advice that has not already been mentioned?

Have fun!!! :D

bbymgr
01-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Drink lots of alcohol...............it's free.

bbymgr
01-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Almost forgot................. try the Gorgonzola Stuffed Fillet at Valentino's. It is incredible.

Monte
01-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks fellas. One last round of questions..

A)How much is a good tip down there? I don't want them to think I am some cheap b-stard, but at the same time since I am a cheap b-stard.. I don't want to tip too much.

B)How much cash should I carry with me? I know I will buy some things, but my plan is to stay mostly on the resorts.

fletch_n_me
01-28-2009, 10:50 AM
If anyone wants an amazing place to stay in JM, I go to Rock House a few times per year and love it. It is on the 1000 places to see before you die.

Thatch villas built over the water and little bridges connecting a lot of them. Best restaurant in Negril. Owners are Aussies and great folks - let me keep a pigmy goat that I bought while drunk because i didn't want him to get eaten - don't ask. Cleon is the head bartender - make good friends with this man.

http://rockhousehotel.com/hotel/escape.php

But venturing out of the resort is like Black Hawk Down...

bbymgr
01-28-2009, 01:41 PM

A)How much is a good tip down there? I don't want them to think I am some cheap b-stard, but at the same time since I am a cheap b-stard.. I don't want to tip too much.

B)How much cash should I carry with me? I know I will buy some things, but my plan is to stay mostly on the resorts.

All gratuities and tips are included. I even tried to give one of the bartenders some money, but he refused 3 times. He said it wasn't aloud. Just take money for any souvenirs you want or any excursions you might want to do off site. I would suggest climbing the Dunn's River Falls. It is a really great time, only takes 20 minutes to get there and isn't very expensive. Also, if you are wanting to eat at one of the restaurants at the Sandals Dunn's River(Kimono's or Marco Polo's), make your reservations on the first day. They book up quick, and first preference is given to the people staying at that resort. Be sure to take at least one collared shirt and slacks and have your wife take a skirt or dress. Some restaurants have dress codes. I'm jealous........you will be drinking Blue Mountain Coffee. UUmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! $37 a pound in the US.

#47of100TeamMC
01-28-2009, 01:56 PM
As a Frame of reference. The buss boys and local kids working at the resorts make about $20 a week. So a couple dollars is HUGE. Having said that... Don't get caught tipping under the table... If the managers find their people accepting tips, they will get fired and walked out the door on the spot. No lie. That's why they say "No Tipping" it's even written on most of their name tags. So do yourself a favor and don't try and tip or you could get somebody fired for tempting them to take your tip. Do like they suggest... Take your cell phone and wallet and put it in the room safe, and don't touch it until you leave for home.

1)Make your reservations for Tokyo Joes. the first night, (Sandals Montego Bay) you might even want to make 2 reservations for there.
2) I hope the Mastercraft is tuned up since we where there a couple years ago. Emmisions where soo bad, you couldn't stand to be behind the boat. Only did that once. It sucked.

Enjoy!

Ryan
09-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Guys, I'm shopping for a trip in November. While I'd like to go to St Lucia, the time to get there is undesireable for this trip. I've narrowed it down to Nassau or Jamaica and am between a Sandals or Secrets.

Anyone have a reco'd preference between the Grand Bahamian (Nassau), Whitehouse, or Royal Caribbean? Has anyone been to Secrets? I've read up on Trip Advisor, but the responses are all over a wide spectrum.

Finally, is there a good/bad time of year for sand fleas? My wife hates bugs, and while these technically aren't bugs, I don't want them to ruin a vacation.

Rossterman
09-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Spent a couple of weeks at sandals Ocho rios around 20 years ago and had a blast! Definitely try their rum runners (kinda of like the long island equivelent in rum with 3 or 4 shots of different stuff that will get dancing the reggae in short order :)

h2oskiluvr
09-08-2012, 08:28 PM
I went to Sandals Mobay this last June. I loved it! If you want the experience of a lifetime I encourage you to go SCUBA diving. Totally awesome and made the whole trip worth it.

LaRue
09-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Been to Sandals Negril in Jamaica. Wonderful!!. Water is calmer than other spots around Jamaica. Skied every morning with a few others and water was calm. Adults only resort. We plan to go back. Lits of water activities included.

As we talked to others we heard White Castle was very nice with a British flare. Sandals Negril would be more casual. Royal Caribbean will have more of a party atmosphere, so we were told. We met several couples that frequent Jamaica and claim Negril is the best.

Hope that helps.

Ryan
09-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Looks like Negril has quite the reputation as they are sold out except for the most expensive rooms.

nickespi
09-10-2012, 11:51 AM
We are doing Sandals Negril in December. Read all sorts of reviews, but we aren't snobs so it should be a decent time.

LaRue
09-10-2012, 12:18 PM
ryan...sent you a pm.

ntidsl
09-10-2012, 01:40 PM
I work for Sandals and skiers will enjoy Sandals Negril the most. Sandals Whitehouse is a close second but only early morning.

Ryan
09-11-2012, 01:22 AM
I just booked Whitehouse. I booked a hold on a Concierge room to debate whether we need butler service & room upgrade later.

milkmania
09-12-2012, 08:18 AM

some things just can't be UN-seen:rolleyes:

atlfootr
09-22-2012, 08:12 PM
It was basically like riding in a Greyhound bus down a sidewalk in New York City! :DI recall local street kids runn'n along side our bus w/ their hands wave'n for hand outs.

Ryan
01-01-2013, 07:47 PM
We chose to go to Sandals Whitehouse and LOVED it!

Word to the wise. Bring your gloves and consider bringing your own handle. The slalom ski available was basically a combo ski and did not want to lean over. I can deal with that on vacation. But the handle might as well have been a bar of soap, it was so slippery it was hard to get up and would fly out of my hands under hard cuts. It was still a blast.

Here's a video. http://youtu.be/rCz2ThUiees