PDA

View Full Version : Envoy for a Volvo

Monte
09-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I listed my GMC Envoy on Craigslist the other day. Here it is: http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/826229627.html

I got a respose From a guy that wants to trade even.

"Would you be interested in trading for a completely loaded 2005 Volvo S40 T5 with only 32,500 miles on it. Let me know, and maybe we could work something out, and I would be happy to send specs on my Volvo if it is something you might be interested in. This is seriously not a scam in anyway, my name is XXXXX XXXXX (XXX-XXX-XXXX) so you can also just call if you like."

If the Volvo checks out is this a good trade?

How in the heck does this work? Just trade titles?

TMCNo1
09-06-2008, 11:02 AM
I listed my GMC Envoy on Craigslist the other day. Here it is: http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/826229627.html

I got a respose From a guy that wants to trade even.

"Would you be interested in trading for a completely loaded 2005 Volvo S40 T5 with only 32,500 miles on it. Let me know, and maybe we could work something out, and I would be happy to send specs on my Volvo if it is something you might be interested in. This is seriously not a scam in anyway, my name is XXXXX XXXXX (XXX-XXX-XXXX) so you can also just call if you like."

If the Volvo checks out is this a good trade?

How in the heck does this work? Just trade titles?

I would guess, if both titles are clear of liens and in hand, the DMV would do a new title application for each and tax each of you for the NADA value of each vehicle in the swap, IIRC. They are gonna get the taxes, even if it's a wash I would guess.

TMCNo1
09-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Here is a review on it, http://www.edmunds.com/volvo/s40/2005/review.html

You gonna look good as a Yuppie!:rolleyes::D

JohnE
09-06-2008, 11:22 AM
It seems too good to be true, but it's worth lookiing into. I did notice he wrote the "this is not a scam". So he knows that the Volvo is worth more than your Envoy.

TX.X-30 fan
09-06-2008, 11:50 AM

How in the heck does this work? ?

I think it starts with one party grabbing his/her ankles. :D

mitch
09-06-2008, 12:12 PM
T5 requires 91 octane

Monte
09-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I would guess, if both titles are clear of liens and in hand, the DMV would do a new title application for each and tax each of you for the NADA value of each vehicle in the swap, IIRC. They are gonna get the taxes, even if it's a wash I would guess.

You got that right:cool:

Monte
09-06-2008, 12:14 PM
T5 requires 91 octane

Ah HA.... That is the catch!:( Thanks for the heads up:cool:
I could still flip it?

Got any idea of the mpg?

D3skier
09-06-2008, 12:15 PM
I'd be a little leery about this one considering the blue book value is worth about 50% more than the price you are asking. If you do consider it have it inspected by a mechanic.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Sedan 4D
More Photos
Condition Value
Excellent $17,240
Good $16,270
Fair $14,990

Footin
09-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Run a carfax on it.

Monte
09-06-2008, 12:21 PM
I'd be a little leery about this one considering the blue book value is worth about 50% more than the price you are asking. If you do consider it have it inspected by a mechanic.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Sedan 4D
More Photos
Condition Value
Excellent $17,240
Good $16,270
Fair $14,990

The difference in value is definitly throwing me on gaurd:cool:

I'll surely have it checked out by a mechanic, but depending on when he bought it even a 3yr/36k warrantee could still be active:confused:

I'm waiting on the pics, we will see

BrianM
09-06-2008, 12:25 PM
More than likely you would not have any taxes because of the stated values of the 'sale' being the same. On vehicle sales you are only taxed on the difference. The only fees involved would be the registration fee and title transfer fee. at least that is how it would go here in LA. As for whether the deal is legit, I would definitey be VERY cautious.

Roonie's
09-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Unfortunately we own two Volvo's right now. A 2008 S80 (work pays for it) and a 2004 XC70. Both require 91 octane but we have yet to put anything other than 87 in it. They still run fine even with the turbo on the xc70. We will soon be trading in the xc70 for an Audi for me to drive.

Monte
09-06-2008, 12:47 PM
More than likely you would not have any taxes because of the stated values of the 'sale' being the same. On vehicle sales you are only taxed on the difference. The only fees involved would be the registration fee and title transfer fee. at least that is how it would go here in LA. As for whether the deal is legit, I would definitey be VERY cautious.

Unfortunatly if you don't have a bill of sale from a dealer in NC you have to pay 3% road use taxes based off NC DMV's book value of the vehicle:( A dealer bill of sale will allow you to use the actual purchase price...

Monte
09-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately we own two Volvo's right now. A 2008 S80 (work pays for it) and a 2004 XC70. Both require 91 octane but we have yet to put anything other than 87 in it. They still run fine even with the turbo on the xc70. We will soon be trading in the xc70 for an Audi for me to drive.

When you say unfortunately, I know you own different models, but is there something about Volvos in general you have discovered you don't like about them?

TX.X-30 fan
09-06-2008, 12:59 PM
When you say unfortunately, I know you own different models, but is there something about Volvos in general you have discovered you don't like about them?

There butt ugly???? :D

Monte
09-06-2008, 01:06 PM
There butt ugly???? :D

Yet stylish:D

Roonie's
09-06-2008, 01:22 PM

I really dislike my wife's xc70. It is a total soccer mom car. Just not my style. Now that she got the S80 she is passing the XC 70 onto me. I do not like driving the xc 70. A little squirelly on the freeway. It is a heavy car. The turbo helps. Also the ergonomics are off for me as I am 6'1" and it feels like it is made for someone a little smaller. I tried to convince her to get the Audi station wagon at the time but she liked the XC 70 instead.

The S80 is a nice car. My only complaint with that is bad gas mileage. We don't pay for gas in it as her company does but it gets maybe average 16-18 mpg. You would expect more from a sedan. Her xc70 gets much better gas mileage around 22 mpg average according to the trip computer. The S series I like. I just can't wait to trade in the xc70 on something else now that I am driving it. Personal preference primarily.

edit; we have put 63k miles on the 04 xc70 and it has been mechanically sound and no problems for all of them.

D3skier
09-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Run a carfax on it.

this is a very good suggestion this would tell you if it has been in an accident or not and how bad the repairs were. When are you going to meet up with him?

Monte
09-06-2008, 03:00 PM
OK here is the response

Yeah, here is a full description of my car, and the VIN # is listed below so you can check out it's clean history and I attached some pictures as well. So let me know if maybe we can work something out. Thank you for your time.

VIN # YV1MS682352103729

It's a completely loaded Volvo S40 Turbo (Automatic) - Silver Exterior/Black Leather Interior . It gets between 26-32 miles to gallon and it only has around 32,500 miles. Let me give you a little background on this car. When I bought it, I wanted the S40 turbo, but at the time they did not one available anywhere in the US, so I ordered this car straight from the factory in Europe. Since I did this, I put absolutely everything on it. You can see all the extras listed below. It still has a little over 3,500 miles on it's warranty, and additional warranties can still be purchased through Volvo. The reason I'm trying to sell it or trade it is because I have a work vehicle, and the thing just sits in the garage. I am the only owner, and the car has never been in any kind of accident or had any kind of mechanical problems. I also have all the oil changes and scheduled tune ups paper work, and all of this was done at my local Volvo dealership (Weaver Bros. Volvo (Raleigh) or Parkway Volvo (Wilmington)). VIN # YV1MS682352103729 (so check out the car facts on it if you like)

Here is everything on it that is Standard:

• Turbocharged 5-Cylinder, 2.5-Liter Engine

• 5-Speed "Geartronic" Automatic Transmission with "Auto-Stick" Function

• Front Wheel Drive

• Driver and Front Passenger Supplemental Restraint System - Dual-Threshold Air Bags
• Inflatable Side Curtains (IC)

• Whiplash Protection Seating System (WHIPS)

• Side Impact Air Bags for Driver and Front Passenger

• Leather Seat (Both driver and passenger seats are power seats and heated)

• Dynamic Sport Suspension

• Horsepower 227 hp @ 5,000 RPM; Torque 236 @ 1,500-5,000 RPM

****EXTRAS (that were added in at factory)

Dynamic Trim Package (Requires Premium Package)
• Dynamic Chassis
• 17" Sculptor Alloy Wheels
• Side Sill Moldings/Lower Door Edge Moldings
• Front and Trunk Lid Spoilers/Lower Rear Valance

Premium Package
• Power Glass Moonroof
• Leather Seating Surfaces (both front seats are heated and power seats)
• Power-Adjustable Front Passenger Seat, 8-Way with Lumbar Support
• 3-Way Memory For Driver's Seat
• Leather Handbrake Lever

Dynaudio Package
• Dynaudio Sound System (total of 12 speakers in car)
• In-Dash 6-CD Player

*** Volvo dealership installed 8" subwoofer in trunk for extra sound

Climate Package
• Heated Front Seats
• Headlamp Washers
• Rainsensor

- Duel Climate Control

***Active Bi-Xenon(TM) Headlights (ABL)

AFTER MARKET ADDITIONS (All was Professionally Installed)

- GPS/DVD player = Calrion GPS/DVD player includes a 7 inch touch screen with full GPS capabilities and a DVD player was installed in glove box that is connected to the 7" monitor. All was professionally installed and is wired so that it will still play DVD's when driving. (See picture to show where is was mounted and installed, it can be removed, and comes with a windshield suction cup thing if you don't like it at that location). I Have the original receipt and if any things goes wrong with it, Soundtronics, Inc will fix it or replace it without any questions asked. Comes with remote control as well.

- Tinted Windows - The windows were tinted right above the legal limit by 3D Window tinting that is located on Capital Blvd. in Raleigh. They did a wonderful job and it has a life time warrenty. I still have the original receipt and life time warrenty.

Believe me, This S40 is one of a kind, and you will not find one exactly like this one any where, or at least I haven't seen one.

Roonie's
09-06-2008, 03:16 PM
go to kelley blue book and put in all the options for both cars and see if the swap makes sense.

JohnE
09-06-2008, 03:17 PM
So why does he want an Envoy that will just sit in his garage??? Why not sell the car and pocket the $$$?

That question aside, go get it.:D

BrianM
09-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Something about this smells just a little bit. Don't know what it is though.

D3skier
09-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Something about this smells just a little bit. Don't know what it is though.

I'm thinking the same thing... why would someone give up over 5k in equity

Monte
09-06-2008, 04:12 PM
It does seem a little fishy to me too, but maybe he just doesn't know the difference?? I emailed him back, and told him I was interested, and that we would also need to meet halfway to check out his ride and for me to check out his..

Jkelly
09-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Monte, Something sound to good to be true to me as well.

As far a Volvo goes, they are sound vehicles, or at least the two I have owned are. I brought my wife her first XC90 T6 in 2003 when they came out, she put 158K'ish on the thing in 5 years. I had two thing that I had to spend money on other than normal maintainance items. First was the rear hubs had to be replaced around 130K and I had to replace the rear shocks around 145K. We traded it in on a 2008 in march and she loves it just as much.
We ran 87 Octane in 2003 and we are running 87 in the 2008. As a matter of fact the service department guy that we deal with advised us to run 87 in them, but he also said to stay away from Murphy gas (Wal-mart) and other discount gas stations. He said they (Volvo) has linked several failed fuel pumps to their gas. She has racked up just over 12K since march and we have not had a problem with 87 Octane for name brand stores.
As far as fuel ecom. she averaged about 19 in the 03, but the 08 is averaging around 22.

Roonie's
09-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Just traded in the xc 70 on an A8L Audi today. Glad to have a different car for me to drive. The Audi is awesome!!! Doesn't compare to the Volvo.

Monte
09-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Ahhhhhh got the skinny of the offer. I can see the values match up with boot money on my part, but Volvo wasn't even on my radar. I'm going to tell him I'll split the difference and pay him $3750 otherwise I'm out. Or should I just tell him I'm not interested and forgo insulting him..

This is what he sent me
So this is what I am trying to get out of the trade. I still owe around $7,500 on my Volvo, and I am trying to get a SUV, and get my car pay off with the deal. With your asking price of your Envoy, and what I need out of the trade to pay my car off, is right at the retail value of my car. So if you are still interested in a trade like this, and still want to meet, just let me know, and if you could send me more information on your Envoy, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

His car has a stong book, but I can get one at auction much cheaper... IMHO

D3skier
09-07-2008, 12:06 AM
if that's the case I'd tell him no deal......it's a straight trade or nothing at most only two grand.

Monte
09-07-2008, 12:08 AM
if that's the case I'd tell him no deal......it's a straight trade or nothing at most only two grand.

yeah that's my thought too.. I will offer him $3750 though..

JohnE
09-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I'd pass on it Monte. It still smells fishy. If the car truly stays in the garage because he has a company car, why doesn't he just sell it and pocket around $10K and pay off his loan with the rest?

wakolman
09-07-2008, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=Monte;537569]Ahhhhhh got the skinny of the offer. I can see the values match up with boot money on my part, but Volvo wasn't even on my radar. I'm going to tell him I'll split the difference and pay him $3750 otherwise I'm out. Or should I just tell him I'm not interested and forgo insulting him..

Leave this one alone unless you want a Volvo. What were you going to buy anyway?

djhuff
09-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Yeah, straight up trade sounds good, but asking for money after offering a "trade" just seems a little like he is trying to screw you... Kind of like airlines advertising air fares for $69, but charge you 25 for a bag, 3 for a coke, 50 to actually get ON the plane, etc.

If yo weren't considering the car, then I'd walk away, not worth it. But if you need someone to go and check it out, I'm in Raleigh and would meet the guy somewhere if you like.

djhuff
09-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Oops, forgot to add, you may be able to run a check on the warranty repairs by the dealer, could be a way to find out if it's a lemon. I know you can do this with a Ford, and volvo is owned by ford, so maybe. You have to get someone in the service department to do it (I think). On Fords, it's called and Oasis report.

ShamrockIV
09-08-2008, 09:37 AM
if you trade even you do not have to pay taxes!!!

i just traded a 94 chevt rruck for a 64 chevy II and paid no taxes. on a tn title there is a place to put what you traded for the vechile. it is pretty easy!!

Monte
09-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the responses fellas, I decided to leave it alone. I don't want to insult the guy by severely low balling him, and I really wasn't planning on a volvo. I don't want to pay to fix it if it breaks.

So if anybody wants a 2002 GMC Envoy I will gladly sell you one..

TMCNo1
09-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the responses fellas, I decided to leave it alone. I don't want to insult the guy by severely low balling him, and I really wasn't planning on a volvo. I don't want to pay to fix it if it breaks.

So if anybody wants a 2002 GMC Envoy I will gladly sell you one..

But, you'd have looked so cool :cool: in that Yuppiemobile!:rolleyes:

Monte
09-08-2008, 10:40 AM
But, you'd have looked so cool :cool: in that Yuppiemobile!:rolleyes:

Oh well:rolleyes: I guess I'll just have to look cool in a Cadillllllllllllllllllllllllac:D

TMCNo1
09-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Oh well:rolleyes: I guess I'll just have to look cool in a Cadillllllllllllllllllllllllac:D

Does it have a fuzzy steering wheel?:rolleyes::D

Monte
09-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Does it have a fuzzy steering wheel?:rolleyes::D

How did you know?:rolleyes: It has Genuine fake furry seatcovers to:D

ttu
09-08-2008, 12:51 PM
How did you know?:rolleyes: It has Genuine fake furry seatcovers to:D

furry dice hanging from the mirrow also monte:D

Monte
09-08-2008, 01:04 PM
furry dice hanging from the mirrow also monte:D

Only the best.. The oversize light up kind;)

ttu
09-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Only the best.. The oversize light up kind;)

that's how us insurance agents roll:toast:

Monte
09-08-2008, 01:16 PM
that's how us insurance agents roll:toast:

yeaahhhhh boyeeee:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
09-08-2008, 02:05 PM
yeaahhhhh boyeeee:rolleyes:

Curb finders, fendershirts, dual antennas and fender mounted rearview mirrors, a regular Pimpmobile, here's a project car fo yo,

Monte
09-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Curb finders, fendershirts, dual antennas and fender mounted rearview mirrors, a regular Pimpmobile, here's a project car fo yo,

Now this is getting weird:cool: Where did you get that picture of my Lincoln?8p MAN that is off the chain8p

Ski-me
09-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Monte, I think you did the right thing. Started off as a straight trade and then to $3,500 or so. I don’t know how much he inquired on your vehicle but based on all the responses, it sounded like he was trying to sell you his car rather than finding our about YOUR car. Just a bad, gut feel.

When I saw $3,500 it reminded me of the old, ebay scams with wire transfers. “I’ll send you a $10,000 check and then keep $3,500 for your troubles and wire me the difference”.

Monte
09-08-2008, 03:12 PM
He seemed straight up about it until he threw out the money to boot deal. I can see it in the values, but I want to shop for a car. I don't want to be "forced" to buy something I really wasn't in the market for. Heck I can buy them at the auctions all day long.