PDA

View Full Version : McCain's speech........

Jerseydave
09-05-2008, 10:58 AM
So what did you think about it? Comments?

BTW, what happened to the "Palin" thread?? :(

Ric
09-05-2008, 11:10 AM
I had low expectations. The crowd wasn't into it. He's no Ronald Reagan. I think he appealed to the moderate vote pretty well last night.

Maristar210
09-05-2008, 11:13 AM
So what did you think about it? Comments?

BTW, what happened to the "Palin" thread?? :(

I had a reply that was frowned upon:(

Monte
09-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I think he did a darn good job..

Nice Avatar Steve

captain planet
09-05-2008, 11:37 AM
I had a reply that was frowned upon:(

Nice job dude. :o Just when the tone was easing a bit.

Just what I expect from a wolverine. 8p I kid, I kid.....

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 11:47 AM
I was mildly impressed by his speech. As Ricci said, he's no "Ronald Reagan" public speaking isn't one of McCain's forte's IMO. I think this will be a very tight race up until the finish line

Maristar210
09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Nice job dude. :o Just when the tone was easing a bit.

Just what I expect from a wolverine. 8p I kid, I kid.....

I think BriEOD heard enough whining for one evening :D - I kid I kid

I was actually not impressed at all. I thought he was rather lame except for his prison camp descriptions, I like that story very much. I have a lot of respect for him win or lose.

Did I meantion she's hot?

SkiDog
09-05-2008, 11:52 AM
:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:wavey:Brian wouldn't have killed it!! More like Sodie!

Monte
09-05-2008, 12:04 PM
I liked the strength he showed when adversity reared it's ugly head. "Folks pay no attention to the ground noise and static"

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I liked the strentgh he showed when adversity reared it's ugly head. "Folks pay no attention to the ground noise and static"

That was pretty good, and funny too! :D

lanier92prostar
09-05-2008, 12:14 PM
He is definitely not a great large audience speaker. He made his points. I also agree that he handled the interruptions in his speach with dignity and humor. He is a much better town hall type speaker in a more relaxed setting. I think he was looking to get this over with so he can get back to the type of politics he is comfortable. He did want to make it known that he has the experience necessary to run our government in good times and bad.

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 12:17 PM
He is definitely not a great large audience speaker. He made his points. I also agree that he handled the interruptions in his speach with dignity and humor. He is a much better town hall type speaker in a more relaxed setting. I think he was looking to get this over with so he can get back to the type of politics he is comfortable. He did want to make it known that he has the experience necessary to run our government in good times and bad.

Yep, and he most certainly did that well.

chudson
09-05-2008, 12:23 PM
He has said that he's no great speaker but I guess that's no reason not to vote for him, did I hear right that his Dad and Grandpa were both 4 Star Generals?

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm with taser on the speech. His service to this country sets the two apart the two families are night and day. His family has been serving forever. I believe we see ambition on one side and a true love and dedication on the other.

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 12:25 PM
He has said that he's no great speaker but I guess that's no reason not to vote for him, did I hear right that his Dad and Grandpa were both 4 Star Generals?

Exactly...

not certain about the General piece, I know there was something on that but I was at that time distracted by a 3 year old :rolleyes:8p

lanier92prostar
09-05-2008, 12:27 PM
I thought he said his dad was an Admiral?

lanier92prostar
09-05-2008, 12:28 PM
double post, sorry

lanier92prostar
09-05-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm with taser on the speech. His service to this country sets the two apart the two families are night and day. His family has been serving forever. I believe we see ambition on one side and a true love and dedication on the other.

Good point. Nothing wrong with being ambitious, but I think in this day and time a love for the country and experience is what is necessary.

Ric
09-05-2008, 12:34 PM
He said his dad was an admiral

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Good point. Nothing wrong with being ambitious, but I think in this day and time a love for the country and experience is what is necessary.

Tru Dat......... You ever heard of a pilot with 500 total hours get hired by Delta to fly the big heavy's? Are any of the CEO's and Prez's for IBM under 25 years old w/ 2 years work experience?

I think not! You just can't replace experience when you need to whether the storm and tough times. The fact that McCain is a Maverick and will "buck the system" is just icing on the cake IMO

ShamrockIV
09-05-2008, 12:42 PM
yes his dad was an admiral. His "hosts" in Hanoi were gonn alet him go since his dad was an admiral if he would sign a "confession". he knew this would be a big victory for the enemy so he said take me back to my "room" please!!!!

yeah read up on it. John Mccain has big brass ones!!!!

i would call that dedication not ambition!!

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Tru Dat......... You ever heard of a pilot with 500 total hours get hired by Delta to fly the big heavy's? Are any of the CEO's and Prez's for IBM under 25 years old w/ 2 years work experience?

I think not! You just can't replace experience when you need to whether the storm and tough times. The fact that McCain is a Maverick and will "buck the system" is just icing on the cake IMO

That's what my wife says!! :D

Skipper
09-05-2008, 12:48 PM
I was gonna write in "Chuck Norris", but McCain won me over again.

Ric
09-05-2008, 12:50 PM
yes his dad was an admiral. His "hosts" in Hanoi were gonn alet him go since his dad was an admiral if he would sign a "confession". he knew this would be a big victory for the enemy so he said take me back to my "room" please!!!!

yeah read up on it. John Mccain has big brass ones!!!!

i would call that dedication not ambition!!
yep.

the one who mentioned ambition earlier was speaking of the obamas, methinks.

lanier92prostar
09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
yep.

Dead on Ric. As 6balls said, ambition does not lead a company or a government. I will take experience every time.
IMO, obama can try again when he has experience. Right now, a lot of words and ambition.

east tx skier
09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh boy. Another political thread that, though started with the best of intentions, will eventually become a big heaping pile of flamebait. This should end well a week from now.

I hear UMP has his own kind of "green" party going! 8p

/insert 80's movie quote here.
//McCain did fine with the speaking abilities he possesses.
///why do protesters have to be so unpleasant to look at (couldn't they have sent the Obama girl?)
////John Stewart's "Free Bird!" line on the Daily Show last night had me laughing even this morning.
/////Slashy slashy!

ShamrockIV
09-05-2008, 12:58 PM
yep.

yeah i know i just wanted to let that story be known!!!

Maristar210
09-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Was it something I said?

again !!!!

lanier92prostar
09-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Eastie, you are enjoying these political threads aren't you? Makes you want to become a moderator again doesn't it.

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Oh boy. Another political thread that, though started with the best of intentions, will eventually become a big heaping pile of flamebait. This should end well a week from now.

I hear UMP has his own kind of "green" party going!

/insert 80's movie quote here.
//McCain did fine with the speaking abilities he possesses.
///why do protesters have to be so unpleasant to look at (couldn't they have sent the Obama girl?)
////John Stewart's "Free Bird!" line on the Daily Show last night had me laughing even this morning.
/////Slashy slashy!

8p8p8p I bet MC is thinking "boy these guys are just like the energizer bunny! " :D

bcampbe7
09-05-2008, 01:26 PM
McCain is not a great speaker by any stretch of thei imagination, but his words are true and not just for popularity.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/04/mccain.transcript/

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Eastie is just pissed Ron Paul has no traction. 8p

Bruce
09-05-2008, 02:34 PM
"Rock Solid" vs. "Rock Star"

kycat2007
09-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Funny thing is I will vote for one but would not buy tickets to see the other!! What did happen to the Palin thread??

TMCNo1
09-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Funny thing is I will vote for one but would not buy tickets to see the other!! What did happen to the Palin thread??

Oh No! Somebody must have stuck a fork in it! Poof!!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2008, 03:09 PM
The Chi-coms did it!!

What do the Chi-Coms and Dems have in common?
They both HATE criticism and they will both do whatever is within their power to silence that criticism. The Chi-Coms have the power to arrest (and execute) and the dems are salivating to enforce a new "Fairness Doctrine" to silence Talk Radio. & TT>:D

Monte
09-05-2008, 03:10 PM
8p I bet MC is thinking "boy these guys are just like the energizer bunny! " :D

Pink and fluffy:confused:8p

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-05-2008, 03:40 PM
How come the older I get, the more cliches seem to make sense? Anyway...one that comes to mind is 'actions speak louder than words.' I understand that a leader can lead in many ways and one might be thru words that inspire, but I heard someone say (on the radio) they were voting for a candidate b/c that candidate was a better speaker. (que the Pied Piper) :o

OK...back to the CFB and DIY threads... :D

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 03:47 PM
McCain: Spend up to $10 billion to allow some homeowners to trade high-interest, adjustable-rate mortgages for safer, fixed-rate loans. Summer 2008 suspension of 18.4 cents-a-gallon gasoline tax and 24.4 cents-a-gallon diesel tax.

Obama: Provide immediate tax rebate of up to $1,000 for low- and middle-income couples to help them cope with high energy costs, paid for by additional windfall profits taxes on energy producers. Second, $50 billion economic stimulus plan, including $25 billion in infrastructure improvements and $25 billion to aid state and local governments to help them avoid spending and services cuts and deal with home foreclosures.

My questions:
How is a one time dispersement of $1,000 going to make any sort of dent in things?
One guy wants to spend 10 billion, the other guy wants to spend 50 billion to stimulate the economy. So where is the sum gain and when can we expect to see it? Exactly when will this spending get us to a balanced budget????

Ric
09-05-2008, 04:03 PM
that sounds like funny math

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 04:06 PM

^^^^The dude in Texas is kinda smart ;)

If one dude wants to spend 50 billion I really don't think that party should be bringing up one word about the National Deficit over the past 8 years under the other parties "leadership" :rolleyes:

ShamrockIV
09-05-2008, 04:07 PM

no it sounds like screw the working man math!!!!!

BOHICA!!!

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 04:08 PM
no it sounds like screw the working man math!!!!!

BOHICA!!!

It's Taxes Bay-Bay Taxes. Stick it to them, Yee Haw!!!

ShamrockIV
09-05-2008, 04:10 PM
It's Taxes Bay-Bay Taxes. Stick it to them, Yee Haw!!!

taxes???? what's that????? i claim married and 5!!!!

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Obama opposes temporarily lifting the federal tax on gasoline; he says the suspension of the tax would save each American family less than $30. "This isn't a real solution," he said.

McCain proposed the gas tax holiday, using other taxes to pay for road projects funded by the tax. "Let's give low-income Americans a break for the summer and realize maybe they deserve it, given the increase in food costs, given the increase in the cost of gasoline, given the increase in expenses," he said.

Do the math for you and your family. I'd save WAY more than $30 on the proposed no taxes on fuel between Memorial Day-Labor Day. I think the only family that might save $30 or less is if you have two hybrid cars in your garage

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 04:12 PM
taxes???? what's that????? i claim married and 5!!!!

All I gots to say is it's good to work for yourself vs. someone else when it comes to this dept. ;)

flipper
09-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm starting to get offended.....

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 04:18 PM

Makes sense Mr. Commiefornia! 8p8p KIDDING!!

Monte
09-05-2008, 04:19 PM

Me too:mad: Ric that word you used, "math", you can't say that and get away with it:cool:

flipper
09-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Makes sense Mr. Commiefornia! 8p8p KIDDING!!

Are you referring to "The Peoples Republic of Califwhorenia"?

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 04:30 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/26561159#26561159

Obama vs. McCain on Job Creation

Somehow I bet that Democrat dude isn't invited to be on National Television again.........

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Robert richhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeee

isssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssss

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnn

idiotttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

:D

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2008, 04:54 PM
I am headed down the street to the lake, so in my absence try to keep it civil "I always do" :D While I'm out anyone feel free to assume the right wing kook gun clutching wacko persona. :D

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 04:58 PM
I am headed down the street to the lake, so in my absence try to keep it civil "I always do" :D While I'm out anyone feel free to assume the right wing kook gun clutching wacko persona. :D

I shall do my best Stu ;)

captain planet
09-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Obama opposes temporarily lifting the federal tax on gasoline; he says the suspension of the tax would save each American family less than $30. "This isn't a real solution," he said.

McCain proposed the gas tax holiday, using other taxes to pay for road projects funded by the tax. "Let's give low-income Americans a break for the summer and realize maybe they deserve it, given the increase in food costs, given the increase in the cost of gasoline, given the increase in expenses," he said.

Do the math for you and your family. I'd save WAY more than $30 on the proposed no taxes on fuel between Memorial Day-Labor Day. I think the only family that might save $30 or less is if you have two hybrid cars in your garage

I just did the math and it would have saved me about $43 this summer in my car and truck.

Monte
09-05-2008, 05:07 PM
I just did the math and it would have saved me about $43 this summer in my car and truck.

What about adding your boat?

HEY $43 is a steak dinner for me and my wife at the local Steak house:):D

captain planet
09-05-2008, 05:12 PM
What about adding your boat?

HEY $43 is a steak dinner for me and my wife at the local Steak house:):D

Add another $25 to the total. However, most people don't have a boat so I was just considering my "land" vehicles.

So $68 total. I would rather put that back into the roads so I don't have to spend $75 on an alignment on my car and/or truck.

I think most of us can agree that the "gas tax holiday" was a gimmick unless you are a trucker.

Monte
09-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Just poking you with a stick..8p

Are you ready to vote for McCain yet?:rolleyes:

flipper
09-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Just poking you with a stick..8p

Well that was very rude:cool:

JimN
09-05-2008, 05:29 PM
"including $25 billion in infrastructure improvements"

He's gonna have to be more specific than to just say he wants to spend half of it on this.

east tx skier
09-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Add another $25 to the total. However, most people don't have a boat so I was just considering my "land" vehicles.

In Texas (and many other states), you can already get some of the "road" taxes back for the boat. It's a laughable sum ($9 for a light use year last year; have seen $27 on a good year), but I save the receipts and buy the stamp each January.

JimN
09-05-2008, 05:36 PM
I was looking at a map of national gas prices yesterday and in some cases, the main difference is only from the higher taxes in some states. MO is one of the lowest gas price states and their fuel tax is also one of the lowest. WI, OTOH, is one of the highest and the gas prices reflect that very nicely. If you want to call that 'nicely'.

Our Governor is a POS who has gone back on almost every campaign promise he made.

captain planet
09-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Not with a stolen vote and TX.X-30 pulling the lever. :rolleyes:

east tx skier
09-05-2008, 05:58 PM
I was looking at a map of national gas prices yesterday and in some cases, the main difference is only from the higher taxes in some states. MO is one of the lowest gas price states and their fuel tax is also one of the lowest. WI, OTOH, is one of the highest and the gas prices reflect that very nicely. If you want to call that 'nicely'.

Our Governor is a POS who has gone back on almost every campaign promise he made.

Jim, you guys are worse off, but even in Texas, the state gas tax doubles the 18.4 cpg Federal tax.

captain planet
09-05-2008, 06:01 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/02/palin_slashed_funding_to_help.html

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 06:46 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/02/palin_slashed_funding_to_help.html

http://24ahead.com/blog/archives/007978.html

Have fun

east tx skier
09-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Interesting site. Nice bumper sticker.

http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/funny-dog-pictures-loldogs-wharrgarbl.jpg

JimN
09-05-2008, 07:14 PM
"Jim, you guys are worse off"

Is that like a dig?

brucemac
09-05-2008, 07:50 PM
can i ask an honest question that i promise is not intended to start an argument or make people upset? i really am looking for an answer and this question in no way lends itself to my political alignment:

what would be so wrong with raising taxes on like the .5% or 1% of the top U.S. businesses? i'm not talking about the middle class, or even the upper class, i'm talking about the super big multi-hundred billion dollar companies? i don't know how much truth there is too it, but if it is true that the top U.S. companies pay very little to nothing in taxes, that seems pretty lame. that's something i've never known for sure was true, and if it is true, why they get those types of breaks. it's also upsetting to me come april 15th each year.

just curious. inquiring minds want to know. :)

JimN
09-05-2008, 08:00 PM
They have a lot of clout. I would guess that any politician who has met with the biggest corporations has been told that if they are taxes, they'll either cut back on the size of their operations or move them completely out of the country. These politicians don't want that many lost jobs in their district, and neither does that state.

Besides, the tax is on the profit and if they play their cards right, they never make much money, on paper. T You can't tax on the gross- it just can't work that way.

Remember- when the IRS was proposed and people didn't pay income tax, it was sold as "It's only the top 2% who will be taxed, so it doesn't apply to you, the voter who is just a regular guy working in a factory". Once taxing regular income got its foot in the door, it barged in and I don't expect it to leave until all of the snacks are gone. As I said yesterday, the government needs to stop spending like a drunk guy at a strip joint on payday.

brucemac
09-05-2008, 08:10 PM
that makes sense about the location and jobs. the profit on paper too. guess i didn't think about that.

and totally agree on the spending. still think they should pay their dues though...

thanks jimn

JimN
09-05-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm not totally sure they don't pay their dues but I would like to see less sucking up to them. If they had a sliding scale and paid from .5% to 1%, depending on the size of the business and amount of profit, it would be a moot point.

Footin
09-05-2008, 08:27 PM
I want to see a flat tax for everyone, 5 to 10%, no deductions what so ever.

JimN
09-05-2008, 09:19 PM
"I want to see a flat tax for everyone, 5 to 10%, no deductions what so ever."

You do realize that a large number of IRS employees would lose their jobs, right? What about all of the tax preparers and accountants?:D

ShamrockIV
09-05-2008, 09:20 PM
"I want to see a flat tax for everyone, 5 to 10%, no deductions what so ever."

You do realize that a large number of IRS employees would lose their jobs, right? What about all of the tax preparers and accountants?

yes but from everything i have read this would give the country alot more money and be more fair.

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Not with a stolen vote and TX.X-30 pulling the lever. :rolleyes:

I have been out face planting for hours, leave me out of this. :D

can i ask an honest question that i promise is not intended to start an argument or make people upset? i really am looking for an answer and this question in no way lends itself to my political alignment:

what would be so wrong with raising taxes on like the .5% or 1% of the top U.S. businesses? I'm not talking about the middle class, or even the upper class, I'm talking about the super big multi-hundred billion dollar companies? i don't know how much truth there is too it, but if it is true that the top U.S. companies pay very little to nothing in taxes, that seems pretty lame. that's something I've never known for sure was true, and if it is true, why they get those types of breaks. it's also upsetting to me come April 15th each year.

just curious. inquiring minds want to know. :)

Good question, what companies did you have in mind??? Exxon would be a good one huh, if we raised taxes on Exxon who do you think would pay those taxes?? If you said Exxon you would technically right, but if you had said the consumers of their products you would have been exactly correct.

Did you know that US corps. are among the most highly taxed corps. in the world?? To the tune of 34.5% on profit, when we tax profit as highly as we do it leads to less of everything.

Who are corporations anyway, just made up of working people, tax the crap out of them and people will loose jobs, and in turn tax revenues will drop to the federal govt.

Trickle down works every time its tried. :)

east tx skier
09-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Trickle down works every time its tried. :)

Political golden showers. Gross.

JimN
09-05-2008, 10:48 PM
"yes but from everything i have read this would give the country alot more money and be more fair."

Do you mean that the citizens would keep more money or the government would get more money?

The deductions are there for everyone to use. Most people don't bother. If someone has a small business, why shouldn't they get to deduct their expenses?

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Political golden showers. Gross.

Has your latest project fermented toooooooo long??? :D

east tx skier
09-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Has your latest project fermented toooooooo long??? :D

Two more weeks before it hits the keg. Just floated a hefeweizen last night, so I'm getting antsy.

bbymgr
09-06-2008, 12:00 AM
I have been out face planting for hours, leave me out of this. :D

Good question, what companies did you have in mind??? Exxon would be a good one huh, if we raised taxes on Exxon who do you think would pay those taxes?? If you said Exxon you would technically right, but if you had said the consumers of their products you would have been exactly correct.

:)

TX is right. Just look at the Master Settlement Agreement that the Government signed with all of the "Big" Tobacco Companies in 1998. The companies started having to pay over 4 Billion a year to Uncle Sam and WHAM! the cigarette prices went up over 50% that year alone. With every Federal excise tax increase since then, the companies just raise the price of the cigarettes so that the consumer ends up paying for it. We also need to look at over taxing some of these industries. If we continue "going to the same well every time", sooner or later it will run dry. Philip Morris by itself, pays Uncle Sam 4.2 million dollars.................a day. Now Philip Morris is the largest of the tobacco companies with 50% of the sales, but if you account for all the other companies you have over 8 million dollars a day for Uncle Sam. If this revenue is eliminated, they will just find something else to tax, and it may be something more near and dear to you.

brucemac
09-06-2008, 12:05 AM
so then is it fair to say that when you hear a statement like, "company xyz didn't pay any taxes this year due to concessions by the government", that it is not a true statement?

bbymgr
09-06-2008, 12:10 AM
so then is it fair to say that when you hear a statement like, "company xyz didn't pay any taxes this year due to concessions by the government", that it is not a true statement?

I can't speak to all companies, but I do know that the tobacco companies pay a crap load. But then again, there probably aren't many industries as scrutinized or regulated quite like the tobacco industry.

Ric
09-06-2008, 10:59 AM
For the record I am FOR tax cuts.

Bill Clinton worked harder than he'd ever worked in his whole life and he just could not give us that middle class tax cut he promised.

As eastie mentioned our taxes at the pump are mainly state taxes from what I can tell.

Don't know if it's still true, but 10 or so years ago NM had lower fuel taxes at the pump. The minute we crossed the Texas line into NM, the roads went to hell in a handbasket. There CP, I said it.

TX.X-30 fan
09-06-2008, 11:35 AM
I can't speak to all companies, but I do know that the tobacco companies pay a crap load. But then again, there probably aren't many industries as scrutinized or regulated quite like the tobacco industry.

First time in my life I was embarrassed to be a Texan was when our state sued the tobacco companies. About 5 law firms to this day collect millions of dollars each year from the settlement. The money was sold to us as money for health care, BS goes into the general fund. All it did was make lawyers and politicians rich, how in the world do you sue a legal product.

I always like this quote.

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

JimN
09-06-2008, 11:47 AM
The government's whole model of "We need more money for our programs" when they're spending too much is like finding out that the account is overdrawn and thinking "I must have money, I still have checks".

This is classic ostrich territory- a person can't see the problem if they don't take their head out of their a.. er, the sand. Yeah, that's it, the sand. That's what I meant to say.

There's a gynormous problem and everyone is trying to fix it without addressing it directly. The government is spending too much money and WE, THE PEOPLE, aren't doing anything about it. As an employee, if someone doesn't do their job well, they're fired. Unless they work in some government jobs. Like Congress, which tells us that they can fix all of our troubles if we pay more taxes. They're special. But, they're still the employees of WE, THE PEOPLE. Congress is a large group of OUR employees and we aren't demanding that they do their job. They don't pay income tax. They have a great pension plan. Who pays for this? What do we get?

Last night, I heard someone say that the problem with us is that we'll follow Jesus or Hitler and all they have to do is look into our eyes and tell us that they will fix our problems. Before anyone tells me this is wrong, look at who we have elected over the decades.

Not enough people care enough to do anything about how our government has defaulted on every promise they make. Too many people are fat, lazy, on Welfare, out of school and sitting on their azzes, eating Big Macs and steaks, drinking booze, doing drugs, smoking cigarettes, watching videos/playing video games on their plasma TV, wearing trendy clothes and driving new SUVs with all kinds of expensive rims, big pounding stereos with LCD A/V systems and feeling that they're ENTITLED to all of this and the first thing they say when they get sick is "GIVE ME HEALTH CARE". The government has given so much, to so many, for so long that most of the current population of recipients doesn't remember what it was like to work for what they have. They want everything and they want it, for free.

Paying for people to have everything they want and need IS NOT the government's job, Federal, State or Local. Making the rest pay for all of this IS NOT going to work much longer.

WE, THE PEOPLE, need to take control of this country and make our elected officials do what we, as a country, need by making it clear to them that they will be held accountable. Welfare is NOT what we need. Members of Congress doing favors for each other is NOT what we need (yes, I know that's how many bills are passed). Being the World's piggy bank is NOT what we need. Government officials pointing fingers at each other instead of defining the problems, developing a plan for fixing them that doesn't include just throwing money at them and coming up with a method to prevent them from recurring IS what we need. Sitting on our azzes and complaining but doing nothing will continue to accomplish exactly that- nothing.

TX.X-30 fan
09-06-2008, 11:58 AM
I am writing in JimN come November!!!!

east tx skier
09-06-2008, 12:14 PM
All it did was make lawyers and politicians rich, how in the world do you sue a legal product.

Not all of us. But if I missed that check in the mail, I'm feeling pretty stupid right now. :rolleyes:

JimN
09-06-2008, 12:23 PM
They probably made the check look like a bill. Pretty diabolical plan, if you ask me.

TX.X-30 fan
09-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Not all of us. But if I missed that check in the mail, I'm feeling pretty stupid right now. :rolleyes:

I believe it was a select group of lawyers chosen by the attorney general. It was all on the up and up. :rolleyes:

east tx skier
09-06-2008, 01:11 PM
I believe it was a select group of lawyers chosen by the attorney general. It was all on the up and up. :rolleyes:

I know of one firm in Houston that did a bunch of that as well as all of that other litigation that is so heavily advertised on TV.

TX.X-30 fan
09-06-2008, 01:31 PM
I know of one firm in Houston that did a bunch of that as well as all of that other litigation that is so heavily advertised on TV.

Is it the guy that got sued for not paying his associate the money from the settlement. He lost and had to pay the guy a huge amount of $$.

east tx skier
09-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Has his own shop now, so quite possibly.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Monte
09-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Here we go again. :rolleyes:

UMP you need a platform:cool:

09-06-2008, 11:37 PM
UMP you need a platform:cool:

I have one.

Its called the Darkside.

Monte
09-06-2008, 11:51 PM
How many ways could I offend so may people with ONE post... Darn you UMP:rant:

You really want to vote for -----??
Thank goodness my name is not Luke
You do what you want with it.. It IS yours to do it with...
etc etc etc

Darn you MAAAAAAANN:rant:

:D

09-06-2008, 11:53 PM
WHAT are you talking about Monte?

Monte
09-06-2008, 11:54 PM
WHAT are you talking about Monte?

Politics;)