PDA

View Full Version : Journey to Iraq

Chief
09-05-2008, 06:27 AM
It's almost that time. It begins on Sunday in San Diego. I don't think I will be doing any door kicking or patrolling, since I'm more of a technical fix it guy but I'm sure I will gain a new appreaciation of family and our life style here in the good ole USA.

Thanks to BRIEOD for the short list of making the trip and time there easier! Also thanks to the PM's I have gotten from you scrubs!

I had the displeasure of winterizing the boat yesterday, first time I've ever had to do the "W" word.

I was able to get out on the water 3 Sept (Wed) and wakeboard until I couldn't hold on to the line. :)

Tell me if I missed something on the "W" word:

-I changed the oil and filter
-Sprayed fogging oil in the engine via the intake (Did not remove spark plugs and spray fogging oil in to cylinders) Thoughts recommendations?
-Put fuel stabilizer in the fuel (I filled her up on Wed before I went wakeboarding) Only about 3/8 of a tank left but I don't want to leave 45 gallons in the tank for eight months.
-Drained block and heater core and filled with RV antifreeze (Disconnected all major hoses and knock sensors to get all the water out then reconnected)
(Tip: I disconnected the hose at the heater valve on the intake manifold and connected a hose with a funnel and filled the block)
-Sprayed and wiped the motor and transmission with "liquid wrench silicone spray".
(Tip: Use in well ventilated area 8p)
-Cleaned and applied 303 to the complete interior.
- Removed battery and is now on trickle charger.

If I missed anything let me know: I have a million loose ends to tie up and my mind is wondering (and I'm getting old).

I hope I will be able to check in from time to time but if I can't I hope to be back in time for CSM!

Tricky and I will probably be on the water today if "Hanna" isn't screwing the weather up too bad.

Take care!

TMCNo1
09-05-2008, 06:37 AM
I wish I could go with you and walk proudly beside you! You are in our prayers and can't wait for your return. If you will and if you can keep us informed from over there, Lynn and Harold

Cloaked
09-05-2008, 06:39 AM
It's almost that time. It begins on Sunday in San Diego. I don't think I will be doing any door kicking or patrolling, since I'm more of a technical fix it guy but I'm sure I will gain a new appreaciation of family and our life style here in the good ole USA.

Thanks to BRIEOD for the short list of making the trip and time there easier! Also thanks to the PM's I have gotten from you scrubs!

I had the displeasure of winterizing the boat yesterday, first time I've ever had to do the "W" word.

I was able to get out on the water 3 Sept (Wed) and wakeboard until I couldn't hold on to the line. :)

Tell me if I missed something on the "W" word:

-I changed the oil and filter
-Sprayed fogging oil in the engine via the intake (Did not remove spark plugs and spray fogging oil in to cylinders) Thoughts recommendations?
-Put fuel stabilizer in the fuel (I filled her up on Wed before I went wakeboarding) Only about 3/8 of a tank left but I don't want to leave 45 gallons in the tank for eight months.
-Drained block and heater core and filled with RV antifreeze (Disconnected all major hoses and knock sensors to get all the water out then reconnected)
(Tip: I disconnected the hose at the heater valve on the intake manifold and connected a hose with a funnel and filled the block)
-Sprayed and wiped the motor and transmission with "liquid wrench silicone spray".
(Tip: Use in well ventilated area 8p)
-Cleaned and applied 303 to the complete interior.
- Removed battery and is now on trickle charger.

If I missed anything let me know: I have a million loose ends to tie up and my mind is wondering (and I'm getting old).

I hope I will be able to check in from time to time but if I can't I hope to be back in time for CSM!

Tricky and I will probably be on the water today if "Hanna" isn't screwing the weather up too bad.

Take care!You have it covered except for the trickle charger. That will do nothing but ruin the battery over the long haul. Get a Battery Tender (12V Plus model) and put it on there. Done deal.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-del-021-0128.html

Also order the 25' extention cable.

I use them year round for all of my batteries.

bigmac
09-05-2008, 06:56 AM
You have it covered except for the trickle charger. That will do nothing but ruin the battery over the long haul. Get a Battery Tender (12V Plus model) and put it on there. Done deal.

Agreed. Not a trickle charger but a battery maintainer. A trickle charger will continually charge the battery, eventually boil off the electrolyte. A maintainer will monitor the battery and keep it fully charged. Battery Tender is more expensive than some, but it works very well.

CantRepeat
09-05-2008, 07:05 AM
You say you don't want to put 45 gals in there for 8 months, I can understand that. But, when you have an air space in the fuel tank it will condense the water in the air at some point and will be there for the eight months do this over and over again.

The only way to prevent this is to fill the tank completely.

JohnE
09-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Wade, good luck and be safe. Thanks to you and everyone else who do this job to make this country what it is!

We'd love to hear from you if you can check in while you are over there.

And when we met, I never would have taken you for " more of a technical fix it guy".:D J/K;)

Take care my friend.

2RLAKE
09-05-2008, 07:19 AM
good luck and thanks for your support of the USA

Skipper
09-05-2008, 07:22 AM
Stay vigilant and travel in safety.

trickskier
09-05-2008, 07:22 AM
I sure hope we can make it out for one last pull today. I am going to miss my skiing partner!!!

Be safe my friend!!!

crank
09-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Hi Chief, go and be safe, you will be fine and yes I can say you miss the family very much, when I was deployed it was hard on me but I am sure it is just as hard on he family.
It is very easy to jump to conclusions when you only speak on the phone and it is also hard when the family puts on a brave face and it is easy to think they don't need you that much at home.

The letters an e-mails make all the difference, even if they don't say that much.

One tip I would give, sorry not boat related, is to buy the cards gifts for family members birthdays etc mothers day etc etc that you will be away for before you go, it can be hard to get a card when your there, the BX is good but sometimes you won't get a great selection and it is nice to send a card rather than an e-mail.

If fact I am away now and had to do this exact thing for a special event, (stuck in Guam for an EOD exercise) I have spoke with BRIEOD via this site and I am sure he has given you great advice, be safe, regards shaun

6ballsisall
09-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Chief

God Speed and be safe. I appreciate all you do for our country and my family. You've got support AND belief at home that Victory is coming soon

coz
09-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Good luck with everything Chief and we're looking foward to your safe return. You have alot of support from us TT members so keep your head down do you job then get home. Remember what I said, welcome matts always out for ya here in AZ.

Be careful,

coz

ShamrockIV
09-05-2008, 07:42 AM
you will be fine chief. just keep that stuff working!!!

see you on the high ground chief!!

Ric
09-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks for what you do Chief. We will most likely still be the pathetic bunch making fun of the guy who ran his boat up on the rocks by the time you get back:(

chudson
09-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Chief be safe and know this, I may not know you personally but I and my family are proud of you for all that you do. My prayers are with you, take care!!!........Cec

Gonzo
09-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks Chief!

jimmer2880
09-05-2008, 08:31 AM
I wish I could go with you and walk proudly beside you! You are in our prayers and can't wait for your return. If you will and if you can keep us informed from over there, Lynn and Harold

Well said. Take care and get home soon.
Jim, Linda, Lilly and Lydia

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Stay safe Chief and get back soon. I will promise you near constant wakeboard wipeouts in your honor. Thank you for your gift to all of us.

Monte
09-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Wade, good luck and be safe. Thanks to you and everyone else who do this job to make this country what it is!

We'd love to hear from you if you can check in while you are over there.

And when we met, I never would have taken you for " more of a technical fix it guy".:D J/K;)

Take care my friend.

This says exactly what I was going to sway. Only better.
Godspeed brutha:cool:

A.I. Rider
09-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Stay safe and know that you will always be the focus of our prayers and our thoughts. Thank you for everything that you do!

Voodoo
09-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Chief--

Take care. It will get cold and rainy in the winter. Drop us your deployed email address and let us know if you need anything.

Voodoo

wakeX2wake
09-05-2008, 09:26 AM
take care big guy... hopefully when you get back we'll be talking about getting the teak ready to go again... i will pre-empitvely nominate sham for the a$$ to kick when you get back if you didn't get your fill over there:D... be safe and come home:headbang:

justinglow
09-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Chief,

Be safe over there. Thank you for everything you do to keep me and my family safe.

east tx skier
09-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Chief, as others have said, be safe, return safe, and thanks for doing the job for the rest of us.

Doug

dummy
09-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks doesn't begin to cover it, but you've got my family's and my most sincere thanks.

If you can, post up your shipping info once you get settled so we can toss some magazines, snacks, entertainment stuff your way.

VOLFAN
09-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Chief --------- Thank You for what you are doing! I will be thinking of ya and looking forward to you getting back.

SkiDog
09-05-2008, 10:44 AM
I've been dreading this coming weekend for you pal! And I won't get on your a$$ too bad for not asking me to come up and ski with ya'll today! I would have dropped EVERYTHING to have done that, but thats OK. We're gonna miss you man! Please send us your address when you get settled in and we'll keep the goodies coming. Be safe brutha! DOG & Amy, Mark & Candi.

Jorski
09-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Be safe, and good luck.

Chief
09-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey Everyone, thanks for the kind words. It really means a lot to be part of such a great MC family. Dysfunctional at times, but nevertheless a family!

Sorry Dog we didn't call ya, but "Hanna" is messing it all up anyway.

Hey JonhE, I can fix the stuff that communicates or locates better than the tuff guy stuff.

Crank: Good words to follow!

Harold keep up the birthday wishes!

I have put the battery on the "Tender" vice the "Trickle" charger bad choice of terms. All the knowledge is right here on this site I wouldn't trust anywhere else.

flipper
09-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Good luck to ya chief, and be safe out there. We look foward to your safe return.

VOLFAN
09-05-2008, 11:43 AM
A jar of Apple Pie will be sitting here awaiting your return Chief!

ShamrockIV
09-05-2008, 11:48 AM
awaiting return????? shoot send me ur addy chief and i will hook u up in the desert!!!

miller lite in the plastic bottle mails well!!

BriEOD
09-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Chief Wade,

I'm glad I could help prepare you for your transition to IZ. If I can do anything for you, or your family, in your stead please don't hesitate to ask. I have no doubt you will be a real asset to your unit and a role model for your junior enlisted troops. Not to mention you will help further solidify our efforts in IZ. Please be safe and drop us a short message now and again. You will be in my families prayers.

Very Respectfully,
Brian S.

BriEOD
09-05-2008, 06:48 PM
If fact I am away now and had to do this exact thing for a special event, (stuck in Guam for an EOD exercise) I have spoke with BRIEOD via this site and I am sure he has given you great advice, be safe, regards shaun

Dude, are you at Tri-Crab? I was there in the late 90s for that. It was really a good fieldex.

brucemac
09-05-2008, 06:53 PM
chief, be safe and safe travel. thank you for your service.

crank
09-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi BRIEOD,

Sorry to go off the thread.
Yes I am on Tricrab at the moment, been here a week so we are yet to really get going still waiting for the the Singapore guys to get here.

But yeah it is great and we are having a hoot, all the young new guys are really having fun, its pretty hot as we just came from our winter but it's all good.

Drop me a line and I will send you one of our badges or coins, if you don't have one.

dapicatti
09-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks for your service for us all. Be safe and God Speed.

Farmer Ted
09-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Be safe and keep us up to date!

BriEOD
09-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi BRIEOD,

Sorry to go off the thread.
Yes I am on Tricrab at the moment, been here a week so we are yet to really get going still waiting for the the Singapore guys to get here.

But yeah it is great and we are having a hoot, all the young new guys are really having fun, its pretty hot as we just came from our winter but it's all good.

Drop me a line and I will send you one of our badges or coins, if you don't have one.

Crank,

Will do...love to have a coin. Yep, I remember it was a good time. Have a beer for me!

spanielman50
09-05-2008, 08:55 PM
THANK YOU FOR PROTECTING MY FAMILY
GOD BLESS AND PROTECT,
dr mark

JohnE
09-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey JonhE, I can fix the stuff that communicates or locates better than the tuff guy stuff.

I have no doubt............I was just having a little fun with ya.:):D

Chief
09-05-2008, 10:14 PM
I have no doubt............I was just having a little fun with ya.:):D

I know brother, didn't take it anyother way. Tell Monica hello, and I hope to see her do a power turn next year!

Doug G
09-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Chief,

Be safe . God Bless you and the rest of the troops.

JohnE
09-08-2008, 08:31 AM
I know brother, didn't take it anyother way. Tell Monica hello, and I hope to see her do a power turn next year!

You got it.:cool:

T Scott
09-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Wade,
Thanks for your service to this great country. Be safe and know that your friends back home are thinking about you!

Godspeed my friend!

Tom

atlfootr
09-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Amen Brother ...

BriEOD
09-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Well, I imagine brother Wade is off and on his way. What many don't know, is subsequent to the actual deployment he has about 1-1.5 months of training in the states and Kuwait. It just adds to time away from family.

trickskier
09-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Well, I imagine brother Wade is off and on his way. What many don't know, is subsequent to the actual deployment he has about 1-1.5 months of training in the states and Kuwait. It just adds to time away from family.

You're correct Brian...................I won't say where he is, but he is in the US for training for about another month...................;)

VOLFAN
09-08-2008, 10:59 PM
trick as soon as he gets over there and you have his addy let me/us know. We will be sure to keep goodies on the way over there.

Willski
09-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Chief,

Thanks to you, all the military men and women on this site, and of course all those that might own a Nautique, or no boat at all.....it is because of you guys that my family can live this great life in this great country.

Good luck and god bless.

willski

90 Maristar
09-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Chief,

You don't know me, but I have read many of your comments as I search threads for answers. Thanks for what you do and God Bless!

puck_11
09-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Be Safe Chief!

Chief
09-17-2008, 06:19 AM
In New Jersey for some good ARMY TRAINING SIR! HOOOYAH!

VOLFAN
09-17-2008, 06:25 AM
Good to hear from ya! Keep us up to date Chief!

bbymgr
09-17-2008, 07:47 AM

Are you at Fort Dix?

coz
09-17-2008, 07:53 AM

How's a navy man gonna handle the riggors of army training? :D

Thanks for the update Chief :headbang:

JohnE
09-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Good to hear from you Chief.

TMCNo1
09-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Keep in touch Chief!

SkiDog
09-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Great to FINALLY hear from you brutha! Looks like you are still in the states.We sure missed you @ MM4! We're working on CSM and your return around the same time. Hopefully it will all work out so you can be there! Long as nobody gets banned!

BriEOD
09-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Have fun!

Stay out of Kelly's Bar right outside the gate. The German restaurant is pretty good and it is BYOB.

Monte
09-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Good to see you back on Chief.. BrEOD? Kellys? is there an experience we need to know about there?

Chief
09-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Have fun!

Stay out of Kelly's Bar right outside the gate. The German restaurant is pretty good and it is BYOB.

No liberty for me at Ft. Dix! Confined to the base. I'll be dry for a long time! Just means my liver will be repaired by CSM so I can destroy it.

Crappy internet, so early in the am and late in the pm is best but I am staying very busy!

I learned to put a IV in today, so at CSM I can get us re-hydrated!

TMCNo1
09-17-2008, 10:07 PM
No liberty for me at Ft. Dix! Confined to the base. I'll be dry for a long time! Just means my liver will be repaired by CSM so I can destroy it.

Crappy internet, so early in the am and late in the pm is best but I am staying very busy!

Why am I laughing so hard? Bless you Chief!

JohnE
09-17-2008, 10:14 PM

Or drunk quicker.:D

Monte
09-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Or drunk quicker.:D

Now there is something we could have a GOOD time with;)

SkiDog
09-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Lets see, Trickskier, Cutty, veins, Nah! He does just fine with the old fashoned way.

JohnE
09-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Lets see, Trickskier, Cutty, veins, Nah! He does just fine with the old fashoned way.

But he's got years of practice.8p

TMCNo1
09-18-2008, 04:00 PM

He should change his name to "Pickleskier"!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/13/13_4_10.gif

VOLFAN
10-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Can we get a Chief update?

SkiDog
10-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Haven't heard from the ole guy in a while. Where you at Chief?!

trickskier
10-14-2008, 06:32 PM
I spoke to Chief last week. He should be in Kuwait now and then on to Iraq later this week. Hopefully, he'll be on TT within the next 30 days.

VOLFAN
10-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Look forward to hearing from you Chief! Be sure to get Trick your address so we can send ya some goodies!

Chief
10-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Now in the anus world. Kuwait was the taint!

TMCNo1
10-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Good to hear from you! I was reading in the other thread and saw you were online! Stay safe!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1031.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=_undefined)

CantRepeat
10-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Now in the anus world. Kuwait was the taint!

Where did you end up? I was in a small town named Hawijha about 40 miles south of kirkuk. It wasn't even a nice place to visit.

dapicatti
10-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Good to hear from you! Keep checking in with us....we all are here checking in on you.

TMCNo1
10-18-2008, 06:54 PM
41407Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm!

BriEOD
10-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I was in a small town named Hawijha about 40 miles south of kirkuk. It wasn't even a nice place to visit.

Been there...was based out of Kirkuk. Had the pleasure of removing a number of Hawija's more prominent residents and placing them in a new community located near the Kuwaiti border. Nothing like a bunch of crazed Sunni insurgents.

BriEOD
10-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Chief--glad you made it safe. Do some good things for America and get home soon and safe.

God Bless!! Thx for your service!!

SkiDog
10-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Chief--glad you made it safe. Do some good things for America and get home soon and safe.

God Bless!! Thx for your service!!

Yea, what he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Miss ya bro!

JohnE
10-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Good to hear from you Chief.

SkiDog
10-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Chief, get us a mailing address for ya man. We gotta take care of our boy donatchano?!

trickskier
10-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Hey Buddy,

Glad to see you had a safe trip!!! May will be here sooner than you think!!!

Be Safe!!!

Chief
10-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey TMC#1, My job description here is Leading Chief for the ADP (LAN) and AFN (Armed Forces Network TV).

Computer Geek and Cable Guy in short. I guess the best part of the job is that I am responsible for providing TV (football, news, etc etc) for the troops on the base and the outlying FOBs. The down side is when you have 18,000 people with cable the trouble calls stack up. Also re-installing cable to living cans that the army did some years ago (what a mess). It's real dirty work with long hours and even some trips outside the wire.

I believe my time here will be too short to complete all I wish to accomplish, but it will be better off than when I found it for sure and the troops get the moral welfare of watching all the upcoming major sporting events.

TMCNo1
10-21-2008, 06:36 AM
Hey TMC#1, My job description here is Leading Chief for the ADP (LAN) and AFN (Armed Forces Network TV).

Computer Geek and Cable Guy in short. I guess the best part of the job is that I am responsible for providing TV (football, news, etc etc) for the troops on the base and the outlying FOBs. The down side is when you have 18,000 people with cable the trouble calls stack up. Also re-installing cable to living cans that the army did some years ago (what a mess). It's real dirty work with long hours and even some trips outside the wire.

I believe my time here will be too short to complete all I wish to accomplish, but it will be better off than when I found it for sure and the troops get the moral welfare of watching all the upcoming major sporting events.

Have you seen Larry the Cable Guy over there?
When you get a chance, pm your address to anyone here to spread to your buddies and we'll all send you some stuff you need or want that can be shipped/mailed. We gotta look out for one of our own ya know!

VOLFAN
10-21-2008, 10:05 AM
When you get a chance, pm your address to anyone here to spread to your buddies and we'll all send you some stuff you need or want that can be shipped/mailed. We gotta look out for one of our own ya know!

ditto on the address thing

I am glad you made it over there safely! Thank you Chief! Looking forward to seeing you in May at CSM!

Chief
11-02-2008, 11:38 AM
No wakeboarding on this little lake.

coz
11-02-2008, 12:12 PM

C'mon Chief! :rolleyes: a deuce and a 1/2, a rope and a board, any board and you're ride'n :D

Good to hear from ya http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/peoples/peoples_96.gif

TMCNo1
11-02-2008, 12:45 PM

If you only had your finger up your nose, we would really know it was you!

Chief
11-02-2008, 12:55 PM
If you only had your finger up your nose, we would really know it was you!

I would put my whole hand up my nose if I could have what's in the other hand right now. Hey VOLFAN send apple juice damnit!

Doug G
11-02-2008, 01:09 PM

Winch it! Want us to send a board and bindings over? Got a spare wouldn't mind sending ... maybe you could catch up with some squids and go play :D

Give us an address brother and a list of what you and the boys would want. Good to hear from you.

TMCNo1
11-02-2008, 01:09 PM
I would put my whole hand up my nose if I could have what's in the other hand right now. Hey VOLFAN send apple juice damnit!

What do you need/want that I can send you?

Chief
11-27-2008, 07:28 AM
My boat dock: I get to go in this boat alot these days!

Happy Turkey day! I know it's a thread jack but damn this internet is SLOW!

BriEOD
11-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Hey look at that Squid playing Army guy!!! ;)

I KNOW you will have some good eats today. I hope that is some solice for your sacrifice. Stay safe my friend.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Brian

Chief
11-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Hey look at that Squid playing Army guy!!! ;)

I KNOW you will have some good eats today. I hope that is some solice for your sacrifice. Stay safe my friend.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Brian

Thanks B, yes there were some good eats today. Army uniform on a Marine Corp base, I have no frigging idea who thought that was right, but I have DCU's in the works.

A pic from my trip this week, my traveling is increasing and I must say that we should all be thankful for some of the sacrifices the boys and girls make. The living conditions are not the best in some areas!

coz
11-27-2008, 07:59 AM

Be sure and have the mechanics straighten out those engines before you leave Chief :confused: the look a little crooked :rolleyes: :D

I kid, I know it's an Osprey but are you jumping out of those?

You're getting shorter as each day goes by
http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/faces/faces_67.gif
Happy T-day to you too!

Chief
11-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Be sure and have the mechanics straighten out those engines before you leave Chief :confused: the look a little crooked :rolleyes: :D

I kid, I know it's an Osprey but are you jumping out of those?

You're getting shorter as each day goes by
http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/faces/faces_67.gif
Happy T-day to you too!

No jumpy for me! Just a passenger, I'm seeing how many frequent flyer miles I can get in Iraq. They are starting to rack up. Hope you have a good turkey day! My day is almost over.

TMCNo1
11-27-2008, 08:46 AM

Good to see your doing OK, we think a lot about you! If you need anything, just hollar!

Love, Lynn and Harold

BriEOD
11-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks B, yes there were some good eats today. Army uniform on a Marine Corp base, I have no frigging idea who thought that was right, but I have DCU's in the works.

A pic from my trip this week, my traveling is increasing and I must say that we should all be thankful for some of the sacrifices the boys and girls make. The living conditions are not the best in some areas!

Good to hear from you Wade. Yes, not sure why you would not be in the Marine Corps uniform--the corpsman wear it?

I was there last year for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and Easter. The food was incredible they really went above and beyond. We had Turkey, Roast Beef, Ham, shrimp, crab legs, lobster tails, you name it. I hope you had a similar experience.

I'm not sure what made me more nervous--riding in a HMMWV or a helicopter? I prefered our armored suburbans or straight up walking. Be safe and remember to say a prayer.

Hope all is well in Jax. Be safe friend.

Brian

coz
11-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Good to hear from you Wade. Yes, not sure why you would not be in the Marine Corps uniform--the corpsman wear it?

I was there last year for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and Easter. The food was incredible they really went above and beyond. We had Turkey, Roast Beef, Ham, shrimp, crab legs, lobster tails, you name it. I hope you had a similar experience.

I'm not sure what made me more nervous--riding in a HMMWV or a helicopter? I prefered our armored suburbans or straight up walking. Be safe and remember to say a prayer.

Hope all is well in Jax. Be safe friend.

Brian

Another jack!

I just have to say when I was in the service is when they were going from being called mess halls to dining facilities and the food was awsome, our cooks who were stationed in our battery even made the field food good (field artillery) :D
I have yet to have a breakfast like I had in the service, toast layed on a plate with eggs over easy and hash browns on the toast then topped with SOS! :D yum!!!!:D

TMCNo1
11-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Another jack!

I just have to say when I was in the service is when they were going from being called mess halls to dining facilities and the food was awsome, our cooks who were stationed in our battery even made the field food good (field artillery) :D
I have yet to have a breakfast like I had in the service, toast layed on a plate with eggs over easy and hash browns on the toast then topped with SOS! :D yum!!!!:D

When I was aboard the USS Everglades AD24, our holiday meals on the mess deck were a feast to behold. And, the everyday breakfast was just as you described. I have yet to duplicate it at home in over 40 years.When you refer to SOS, it is chipped beef and gravy or the Manwich hamburger type topping?

TMCNo1
11-27-2008, 11:27 AM
No jumpy for me! Just a passenger, I'm seeing how many frequent flyer miles I can get in Iraq. They are starting to rack up. Hope you have a good turkey day! My day is almost over.

I found this on NBC News!

At Al Asad (the largest American base in the volatile Al Anbar Province), for instance, and at Husaybah on the Syrian border; Marines, sailors, and soldiers with Regimental Combat Team 7 feasted on turkey, ham, crab legs, prime rib, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, a variety of casseroles, pies, cakes, and any other treats the cooks and bakers could come up with.
Marine Lt. Col. David E. Ducey serves Thanksgiving dinner to the troops at Al Asad (Photo by SSgt. Jim Goodwin).

coz
11-27-2008, 11:29 AM
When I was aboard the USS Everglades AD24, our holiday meals on the mess deck were a feast to behold. And, the everyday breakfast was just as you described. I have yet to duplicate it at home in over 40 years.When you refer to SOS, it is chipped beef and gravy or the Manwich hamburger type topping?

Chipped beef style, my mom & wife make it with the dried beef in a white creamy sauce but in the service they use ground beef but it's the same deal :D yes! dumped everywhere :D

Love that SOS :D

BriEOD
11-27-2008, 12:16 PM
That is a riot! My father-in-law was a Marine at the end of Korea. He still raves about SOS (for you civilian types, SOS=Sh*t on a Shingle).

The food in general, in Iraq, is very good. It is even better during the holdiays. A contractor performs the cooking and at the installation I was primarily tied to the workers were largely Nepalese. The facility was every bit the size of a Home Depot. It was hard facility, a/c, tables, chairs, tiled, Plasma TVs, all kinds of food, drink, desert, you name it. I read a stat some time ago that the gov't spend approx $30 a meal per service member in Iraq. No MREs for our boys.

That said, and while I have yet to be there, the feedback I have received is that the chow in Afghanistan isn't even in the same ball park.

All that said, God Bless all those fine service members!!

trickskier
04-07-2009, 02:39 PM
I talked to Chief today. His tour is just about up and should be home by mid May. Looking forward to having my skiing partner back home!

CantRepeat
04-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I talked to Chief today. His tour is just about up and should be home by mid May. Looking forward to having my skiing partner back home!

That's some really great news!

wakeX2wake
04-07-2009, 03:53 PM
great news... make sure he knows everyone that's glad he made it back isn't necessarily waiting at the airport... good to hear he's making it well

VOLFAN
04-07-2009, 10:29 PM
I wish there was something we could do or someone we could talk to so that we could ge thome early and attend CSM. If it was only to get him there for a day or two and then they take him back and finish his debriefing stuff and all the stuff they do! Anyone gt some strings they could pull to get our boy back home for CSM?

wakeX2wake
04-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Anyone gt some strings they could pull to get our boy back home for CSM?

Obama is my homeboy... i'll see what i can do :rolleyes:

Maristar210
04-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Get home soon Mr. Cherry Wheat !!!!

JohnE
04-08-2009, 12:26 PM
I wish there was something we could do or someone we could talk to so that we could ge thome early and attend CSM. If it was only to get him there for a day or two and then they take him back and finish his debriefing stuff and all the stuff they do! Anyone gt some strings they could pull to get our boy back home for CSM?

Somebody's got to have some pull......:cool: Maybe if they catch a tailwind on the flight back?:confused:

VOLFAN
04-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Knox is a sarge maybe he can talk to someone... heck MC took a boat and some peeps to guantanamo bay for a solider over there (REWIND 08') maybe they can do something :)

We miss ya Chief!

ShamrockIV
04-08-2009, 02:05 PM
call the commander in chief volfan. i am sure he will take ur call.

wakeX2wake
04-08-2009, 02:17 PM
i've been trying to get through all day... Obama has been pretty shady here lately... something about his Secretary of the Treasury sucks

BriEOD
04-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Get home soon Mr. Cherry Wheat !!!!

Safely and in one piece I might add...

Chief
05-07-2009, 01:41 AM
It's a done deal! I'm home working on a Cherry Wheat.

Thanks to EVERYONE! Your care packages and words of encourgement helped pass the days!

You guys are the best! Looks like CSM was a blast!

VOLFAN
05-07-2009, 05:57 AM
Glad your back Chief! You should have a little something waiting for y awhen you finally make it back to your house.

TMCNo1
05-07-2009, 06:36 AM
OMG, it's good to hear your home, made my day!

CantRepeat
05-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Welcome home!!

trickskier
05-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Good to have you back!!! :D

coz
05-07-2009, 08:24 AM

Thanks to EVERYONE! Your care packages and words of encourgement helped pass the days!

Welcome home Chief, your sacrifice was appreciated, thanks.

Glad you're enjoying a cold one now get out there and enjoy your boat in the good ol US of A :headbang: Again, glad you made it through that hell hole, you rock dude! :headbang:

JohnE
05-07-2009, 08:27 AM

Fantastic!!!!! Welcome home!!!! So was it the beer or the wife first? Which one lasted longer???:D

mayo93prostar
05-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Welcome back Chief, thank you for your service to our country, it is appreciated.

SkiDog
05-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Man, i just thought I had a good day yesterday! Reading this this morning is a blessing! You were missed brutha! Glad you're back, safe and sound! Well, not too sure about the sound part!:D:D:D
I hope maybe next weekend we,(Myself, Amy, Tricky, Janice, Mark Vance & Candie can get together and ski @ Knigsley. Lets work on that! You still got the same cell #?
WELCOME HOME PAL!

east tx skier
05-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Welcome home!

sand2snow22
05-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Welcome home! I hope you can get out on the water soon!

Monte
05-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Welcome home chief!!!!!! Thanks for your service...

BriEOD
05-07-2009, 04:22 PM

Welcome back Wade. The best feeling is pulling away from the airport with your family. Thx for your service and have a great summer.

bcampbe7
05-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Welcome home Chief!

brucemac
05-07-2009, 06:56 PM
welcome back and thank you!

Knox's_Better_half
05-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Hey Chief!! Welcome home.....as many have said, you were missed! Missed you at CSM, but there is always next year. Andrew is wanting to get down that way and hook up with you, Rick, Eddie, Mark. Hopefully we will be able to get down there around the 2nd or 3rd week of June.

Welcome Home

puck_11
05-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Welcome home Chief!