PDA

View Full Version : Gel coat repair?

JayM3
09-04-2008, 06:22 PM
I made the mistake of letting a couple of my buddies use my boat for a weekend and it came back with about a three inch by 1/2 inch hole right under the rub rail. I was just wondering if anybody knew the best way or best place to get it fixed? And about how much do repairs like that cost? I live in middle Tennessee just incase someone knows a good place pretty close.

dsoby
09-04-2008, 06:44 PM
It would be a lot easier to comment on this if you would post a picture.

climbinggod
09-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Sorry to thread jack but I need some help with this repair. See the pictures.

Thanks Ed

dsoby
09-04-2008, 08:31 PM
climbingood, do a search on this site for gelcoat repair. There is a lot of good discussion about situations like yours. That being said, depending on the age of your boat and the condition of the gelcoat, you might be able to fix that yourself. I've done several minor repairs. It's not rocket science. The biggest factors are how handy you are/ how motivated you are at learning how to and doing the job right and (probably the hardest) matching the color. If your hull is not very discolored, it's a no brainer because specticolor sells repair kits by OEM color just for situations like this. It gets much more complicated if your hull is faded and this is where the value of a professional becomes a factor.

TMCNo1
09-04-2008, 08:33 PM
You broke Rule #2, don't let friends borrow your frigging boat!:o It's not theirs, why should they give a crap about YOUR boat!
I'll leave this thread to other rule breakers who have experience fixing their boats!

dsoby
09-04-2008, 08:48 PM
X2
Well put TMC, I forgot to mention that.

cdstukey
09-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Climbinggod

I'd say yours is a pretty good candidate for a do it yourself fix. Try the colormatched paste and remember its all about taking your time and prep work. It would probably take you a couple of hours. There are a couple good threads on the how to specifics and here is a link to the gel coat paste

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/catalog.htm

good luck