PDA

View Full Version : Dipstick reading

Voodoo
09-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Folks--

1987 190 Prostar -- ever have trouble reading the oil dipstick? The dipstick tube seems to fill with oil which obscures the dipstick reading -- anybody?

Voodoo

TMCNo1
09-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Our '89 has always read that way. During the break-in period it blew my mind, "How was it gaining oil?" or well, "Indmar must have overfilled it"! So, I kept a check on it and at the first oil/filter change and after warm up and running, I checked it and it was reading high on the dipstick, so I scored the dipstick with a file and made my own high and low marks and have gone by that ever since.
There have been a couple theads/posts in the past 2 1/2 years on here stating that some of the 351W's had the wrong (long) dipsticks installed at FORD when the engines were manufactured.
I'll just live with it and pass along the info to the next owner someday!

Hunterb
09-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Mine is the same. If I drain all the oil and then fill with 4 1/2 litres it will be way over the full mark on the stick. I have been too lazy to scribe a new mark, I just know where it should be.

Bruce

88 PS190
09-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Its not just in boats, for some reason most anything american w/ a V8 has a difficult to read dipstick that gets partial smears of oil up over the area where you are supposed to read it, they also come with those goofy flat impossible to insert, go through a bent pipe dip sticks.

Instead of the nice stiff round goes straight down into the oil pan german variety.

Maristar210
09-04-2008, 05:18 PM
What is it you want UMP to read?

TMCNo1
09-04-2008, 07:53 PM

He ain't readin' my dipstick, I tells ya!:rolleyes::D

JimN
09-04-2008, 08:21 PM
"If I drain all the oil and then fill with 4 1/2 litres it will be way over the full mark on the stick."

That's because you're supposed to fill it with quarts. :D

It doesn't matter how many bottles you use, as long as the correct stick is in it and you fill it to the line. The boat needs to be level, of course and you may well use a partial bottle.

Slinkyredfoot
09-04-2008, 08:31 PM

Steve, you must have misunderstood, he asked what the dipstick to read, not the dipsh.t ...

BTW, have you found the web site for the Sara Palin doll yet?......;)

JimN
09-04-2008, 08:43 PM
"BTW, have you found the web site for the Sara Palin doll yet?"

It's not inflatable, is it?

Hunterb
09-05-2008, 01:34 AM
Jim,

Litres/quarts - close enough :)

Do you know how to tell if I have the correct dip-stick? Can I measure it somehow? I know if I drain the oil out when it is at the 'full' mark I will get less than three litres. There does not seem to be any left in the pan because when I fill it back up and run the motor the oil is super clean.

Bruce

JimN
09-05-2008, 01:53 AM
If I was in your position, I would probably contact Indmar and get the part number for the dipstick. It will be stamped on the stick and is about 7 digits long. Another way is to remove the dipstick and hold it in place along its tube, on the outside. It should only be long enough to go a little past the top of the oil pan but I don't have any specs on the correct length.

They will want the engine serial number, which should be on a white sticker, located on the oil pan or one of the valve covers. If it's not there and it's the original engine, contact Mastercraft with the hull ID number so they can tell you the engine serial number.