PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy trailer parts?

DAinAZ
04-30-2005, 02:16 AM
I need to buy brake lines and master cylinders for my brake drums. I have heard about Trailers by Dorsey and Pacific. I was just wondering if you can usually find these types of parts locally, so that I don't have to buy them through the mail? I've read most threads about trailers and I think I remember someone saying something about NAPA.

It is a single axle trailer for a 1992 Prostar 190. I know the trailer is original equipment, so I assume it was also built in 1992.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 02:35 AM
As you mentioned, Dorsey is a good source and the parts will match up. That's where I got the master cylinder and wheel cylinders for my 1993 trailer. The prices beat MC by a long shot for the same thing. Don't know of any retail sources you might find locally.

Make sure your lines haven't rusted. In 1993, some genius decided to wrap the brake lines in some sort of sheath, virtually assuring that my sorry butt would have to pay to replace them down the road. I went with stainless so I could be done with it.

Good luck.

DAinAZ
04-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Make sure your lines haven't rusted. In 1993, some genius decided to wrap the brake lines in some sort of sheath, virtually assuring that my sorry butt would have to pay to replace them down the road. I went with stainless so I could be done with it.

Good luck.

My brake lines do have that "sheath" around the lines and they are rusted out. Where did you buy the lines? Did you buy they from Dorsey?

Any help as to the parts list you had to buy from there would be appreciated so that I get everything I need the first time. I don't want to have to make 3 or 4 orders to get everything I need and take a month to do it. I live in AZ and it is starting to get warm and I'd like to get out on the lake as soon as possible.
Thanks

By the way East Tx Skier, where are you in East Tx? I went to college in Longview, Tx.

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 11:00 AM
The only things I bought from Dorsey were (1) new master cylinder, and (2) two wheel cylinders. We didn't discover the brake lines until the brake shop that did the work for me had it all taken apart. They ordered the stainless lines from a local supplier (I don't know from whom).

I'm in Tyler. Did you go to Le Tourneau (sp)? My wife works in Longview.

6ballsisall
04-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Try Redneck Trailer Supply. They will have it, and probably in stock

rasmithaz
04-30-2005, 12:44 PM
DAinAZ....Randall's VIP trailers in chandler might have what you need or certainly be able to steer you to parts locally. They will also do trailer work for you but they are expensive and busy.

DAinAZ
04-30-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm in Tyler. Did you go to Le Tourneau (sp)? My wife works in Longview.

Yes, I did go to LeTourneau for 87-91. Then I went home to WI for a month and got my job in AZ. Been here ever since. I hated it for the first 5 years, and then I got my boat! Haven't looked back since.

east tx skier
05-01-2005, 01:38 PM
It took me a while to get used to east TX, but once I adjusted, I liked it quite a bit.

stevoh20
05-05-2005, 12:55 AM
I just installed mine. I ordered lines from DHM Enterprises in CA. $43.30. Local auto place sent me to hitch dealer who sent me back to auto parts place. Got tired of explaining what I needed and ordered one kit that was pre-cut and sized perfectly. Part number P27000 fit my 92 trailer perfectly. Keep your old stuff in place to use as a guide for replacement. Almost ready for road test. Need electrical for back up process.

chfrogman
05-05-2005, 02:19 AM
I ordered lines from DHM Enterprises in CA. $43.30. .

DHM is in Sacramento, CA. Great place. People there are very helpful. We used them to replace a broken leaf spring for our 88 prostar 190 trailer (single axle) and again when we were having brake problems with our 97 prostar 205 trailer (dual axel). They know their stuff! :D Give them a call if you can't find any help in your local area.

BriEOD
05-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Check out Champion trailers in Louisana.

DAinAZ
05-05-2005, 01:02 PM
... I ordered lines from DHM Enterprises in CA. $43.30. Ordered one kit that was pre-cut and sized perfectly. Part number P27000 fit my 92 trailer perfectly. Need electrical for back up process.

I just bought a kit that looks identical to that one from a place I found in town, Auto Safety House. They have all the obscure parts you need for trailers, trucks, etc. I got mine for $39 and some change along with each wheel brake cylinder for $10.89 ea.

I was hoping to do the fix this weekend, but we have our boys birthday party on Saturday afternoon and have to spend the day getting the house ready. Maybe Sunday. I'll keep you posted.

Why do you mention you need electrical for back up process? Mine has a manual pin I stick in to do the lockout for backing up. It would be nice to have it all hooked in and be electrical so I don't have to worry about backing up.

I just ordered the actuator parts I needed from Trailers by Dorsey, and they are supposed to arrive today.

stevoh20
05-05-2005, 11:59 PM
My drums were a completely fused, rusted mess and I would have had to start from scratch. Since I needed to replace the whole actuator assembly (rust everywhere) I decided to go with Stainless Steel Disc brakes. I bought the Disc brake actuator system from Dorsey. It has a slightly larger master cylinder. It comes with a standard reverse solenoid valve. This valve is activated electronically. It has a blue wire lead. You run it to a five pin harness (blue wire is the "extra" for the reverse solenoid). Opposite harness at SUV end. Other end of blue wire attaches to the back-up lights on SUV. When you shift into reverse, current is sent to the reverse solenoid which "holds" brake fluid and does not engage disc brakes when backing boat up.

Sometimes you will read new owners not able to back their recently purchased MC into their garage. The dealer forgets to mention the 5 pin harness and without the solenoid engaging, the discs will stop the trailer from being backed up at all. Owners are completely miffed.

I have not taken my trial run with my completely overhauled system, as I am waiting for the new electrical harness to be delivered. This better be a worry free system for years, but I am sure going to keep a close eye on it, and not plow hundreds back into the trailer again. This ought to help my SUV with stopping distances since I basically had nothing before.

DAinAZ
06-02-2005, 02:50 AM
Alright, I replaced the actuator master cylinder and shock, all the brake lines and the master cylinders on the drums. The drums looked in good shape. Now my problems...

I can not seem to bleed the brakes. I had a friend help me and we couldn't get anything to bleed out of the drum master cylinder bleed valves. We unconnected the main line down by the axle and there was no fluid down there or coming out when we pumped it. That makes me think there is something at the actuator master cylinder. I really don't want to take off the actuator since it is full of fluid and don't want parts to fall out and have to install it upside down again.

Any help or suggestions are welcome. Don't know why when the actuator cylinder is pumped it won't get the fluid flowing. I followed the directions from UFP on their website and no results. HELP!!!

Thrall
06-02-2005, 11:34 AM
If you have new master cyl, the problem is probably a blocked or smashed brake line. Did you take the line off at the mc and see if it's pumping fluid there?
Didn't read the whole thread, buthave you bled the master cyl? If not, it'll take a while to get the air out of the mc and pump brake fluid.

DAinAZ
06-02-2005, 01:24 PM
I haven't taken the brake line off the mc, but I did pump the mc and got a lot of bubbles out. Once the bubbles stopped, I figured it was pumping down the line, but no such luck. If it does pump out the mc, then I will have to pull the main line to see if it is cinked somewhere. It is new, so I hope not. Although if it is, then I will know the problem.

flyinryn
06-02-2005, 01:30 PM
I haven't taken the brake line off the mc, but I did pump the mc and got a lot of bubbles out. Once the bubbles stopped, I figured it was pumping down the line, but no such luck. If it does pump out the mc, then I will have to pull the main line to see if it is cinked somewhere. It is new, so I hope not. Although if it is, then I will know the problem.

you also told me thay you cut the line to make it shorter. do you know for sure that when you rebuilt the end connection that it was not pinched or crimped in some way. Did you try blowing through that main line to make sure everything was okay.

DAinAZ
06-02-2005, 01:34 PM
you also told me thay you cut the line to make it shorter. do you know for sure that when you rebuilt the end connection that it was not pinched or crimped in some way. Did you try blowing through that main line to make sure everything was okay.
I can put my air compressor up to the line once I disconnect it from the mc to see if it is clogged. I'm almost sure that it is not kinked. I did have to cut the line, but I got a regular brake line tube cutter and flanger tool, and it worked like a charm. At least I think so.

DAinAZ
06-02-2005, 05:35 PM
I took the actuator off and checked that out first and it worked great. I totally disconnected the main line and put my air compressor to it. It blew out a little fluid, but not much. Then I hooked up the main line to the actuator and pumped it a bit until I saw fluid coming out of the lines. Then I undid the farthest brake bleeder valve and pumped it until I saw fluid coming out. Then I did the same for the closer tire. Now I have fluid in all the lines and should be close to being done. I will bleed it properly later today, but it looks like all is solved.

I think the problem was with the mainline how it was hooked up or something, that it was plugged or something. When I put the air compressor on the line, it popped and then blew out the fluid, so there might have been something in there. Don't know.

But now I am happy because my trailer brakes work again!!!

Thanks for everyone's advice and comments.

RackAtak
06-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Try this place
http://shop.easternmarine.com/

MarkP
06-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Well I guess this is as good a thread to jack, (for this) as any.

Do you guys remember who it was that replaced his trailer lights with the LED trailer lights from an ebay package deal?? I think it was on the old board but cant remember who it was.

I was thinking about doing my trailer lights and wasnít that impressed with what I saw on ebay this morning.

JEREMY79
06-21-2005, 01:16 PM
I got my led's at a trailer supply shop. It was a package deal (i.e. all the lights, wire, connecters, and few extra marker lights. Think I gave 100.00 for the kit.

MarkP
06-21-2005, 01:23 PM
I got my led's at a trailer supply shop. It was a package deal (i.e. all the lights, wire, connecters, and few extra marker lights. Think I gave 100.00 for the kit.
Thatís about what that ebay deal was. I think if I could do it in that price range I would go ahead and do it. Right now I need a connector and a couple lights. So this would be the time to do it too.

BG1772
06-21-2005, 05:11 PM
I too like Redneck Trailer Supply. I've had good luck with NAPA too.