PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Panel Stripped Screws

jeffjones4
09-04-2008, 01:22 AM
I have a 1991 Prostar 190. After years of use and getting into the back of the electrical panel from time to time the holes that the panel screws used to screw into are stripped out and the gauge panels are basically hanging on by one screw or the screws have just enough interference with the holes that the panels don't just flop out in my lap while driving. I have lost several of the screws to a mysterious place somewhere in the boat as they have vibrated loose.

Do anyone have any suggestions on how to secure those gauge panels? I thought of using Tinneman nuts but the holes are at a variety of distances from the edge of the opening. Is there another type of fastener that will stay in the plastic and provide the threaded holes to secure these panels?

Thanks!

Gonzo
09-04-2008, 07:09 AM
This winter I am going to put in an epoxy, havent decided on a brand yet, and then screw back into it.

JLeuck64
09-04-2008, 12:05 PM
You might be able to use riv-nuts. Basically it is a threaded rivet. You would have to enlarge the holes to accept the new fasteners, that means there is no going back...

jeffjones4
09-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks...I will look into those options. Anything is better than I have. I assume by epoxy you are perhaps talking about Plastic Weld. I understand that you can tap threads into that after it cures.

JDH88
09-04-2008, 11:44 PM
I have a 94 Pro Star and had the same problem. the epoxy route worked for me. I bought the epoxy from the auto parts store. I do not recall the brand but remember it was the kind that came in two seperate bottles and had to be mixed before using.

Ramhouse
09-05-2008, 12:08 AM
mine too..1993...fiberglass cloth worked great for me since i know how to glass...

jeffjones4
09-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Does anyone know what the plastic material is that the gauge panels are made of? What about the plastic dashboard that the panels screw into? I was thinking that I could use some J-B Weld to cover the holes and then redrill a pilot hole and rescrew in some new screws. Thoughts?

J-B Weld does not bond to rubber, polyethelyne, or polypropelene. Obviously, if the dash components are made from that material then it won't work. I don't want to buy it if it won't work.

jeffjones4
09-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Before doing anything too radical with epoxy, I decided to get some #8 screws (they are larger than what came stock) and in every case but 2 they felt great. I think for now, these screws should hold for another 5-10 years if I don't have to get back in there too often.

Gonzo
09-08-2008, 11:36 PM
If you havent already you may want to think about it first, while you can fill the hole in the plastic behind the metal plate, a larger screw will widen the hole on the metal plate... more difficult to fix.

just an FYI, my PO did that with one of hte screws on my dash and its a bigger hole then the others.