PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from CMD3 to CMD4 - help!

dwe
09-03-2008, 07:00 PM
I have an '05 197 w/ the factory sound system (4 spkrs, 1 sub), and all this started w/ the 4 channel amp going bad. I ordered another one, and while shopping I found a great deal on a CMD4 ($78 shipped). My understanding is that the CMD4 has an additional RCA pair to run an RCA to headphone jack so I can use my ipod. That's the only reason I wanted to go to the CMD4. Is this correct, and will I have any separate control of the Ipod through my head unit or remote? Or, will all ipod control be through the ipod?

Next, I now notice that the hole for the CMD3 is larger than the CMD4. Will I still be able to fit it in place? Also, the 4 seems to have the same 16pin connector as the 3, so I'm hoping I can just use that instead of having to change that.

Thanks!
David

dwe
09-04-2008, 06:42 PM
It looks like the CMD4 has no more capability than the 3; both have auxillary input.

Is there any benefit for me to switch to the CMD4?

NeilM
09-05-2008, 02:26 PM
I have the CMD3, with my IPOD connected to AUX - works great. Do you have something else plugged into AUX on yours?

btriantos
09-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Yes, you can plug into the AUX port, but you have to manually maniplulate the ipod, unless you get the CeNet control unit.

dwe
09-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I didn't realize I had an aux input for the CMD3 before I ordered the CMD4. The install manual doesn't list the rca inputs, but I got in the boat and looked at the wiring and found it. How do you like controlling everything from the ipod, and are you just leaving it in the glove box, or running wire over to the driver's side?

Any experiences w/ the CeNet control? From my search, it looked like no one is carrying it anymore?

btriantos
09-08-2008, 01:00 PM
I run my ipod from the glove box, and control it from the clarion remote. It works great. No text to see what song is playing, but it's not a huge setback. Much cleaner than running from the AUX port, but I have another MP3 player hooked up to that for even more flexibility in song selection. I found mine online only....no retailer seemed to stock it.

bturner2
09-09-2008, 06:40 AM
I have a 03 X2 that uses the smaller version of your radio but has all the same functions and opotions. I bought the iPOD option, drilled a hole in the back of the glove box and ran the cable into the glove box. I can control the iPOD from the radio or the wired remote on the dash. I also have the aux port on the front of the radio I can use for visitors that don't have an iPOD and it works fine also. The remote control is very avialible on EBAY. Search on Clarion Marine Remote and you'll get about 80 hits for various verisons of the remote, cables and connectors. There are two versions of the remote, one that has a two line display and one with no display. The display version is much larger so be careful and makle sure you have somewhere to mount it if you choose this version. Found this out the hard way when I went to up grade mine.

btriantos
09-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Exactly, I have the display one at the helm, and the display-"less" at the transom.

dwe
09-09-2008, 11:05 PM
I have the clarion remote control w/ the display, the factory one, on the driver's side. I'm assuming, that if I buy the CeNet box, then I can control my ipod from the drivers remote. If I don't get the CeNet, then I can only control stereo volume from the drivers remote.

My remote used to display well, now it has breaks in it. Has anyone else experienced this, and found a way to fix it? My first thought is to check and clean the ground.

David

bturner2
09-10-2008, 07:59 AM
This is what I bought for my system. It allows me to fully control the iPOD from the remote. I got this information from Crutchfield but is available on EBAY also.....

Clarion's EA1276B iPod interface lets you listen to your iPod through your DFZ675MC in-dash CD receiver, and it even recharges your iPod while you're listening.

The artist name, song title, and album title information show up on the DFZ675MC's display when your iPod is connected. You can play all your tracks in order, or select from five different playlists. Use the optional input adapter to add a Clarion CD changer or SIRIUS satellite radio to your system along with the iPod.

Details:
iPod connection adapter for DFZ675MC Clarion CD receiver
access up to five playlists and a "play all" mode with track up/down control
displays artist, song, and album information on the receiver's display
provides power for iPod and charges its battery
optional pass-through port allows you to connect a CD changer or satellite radio tuner in addition to your iPod
dimensions: 4-1/8"W x 1-1/4"H x 4-3/8"D
warranty: 1 year

dwe
09-10-2008, 11:49 PM
I did some more digging, and there are two different interfaces for the CMD3 and CMD4; the EA 1251, and EA1267. I don't know the difference between them, have seen them both on ebay (none currently), and no one seems to carry them anymore. I called crutchfield, and they sell the current, smaller, cheaper, CCAiPod interface, but it only works w/ the CMD4A, and CMD5.

Any ideas what the difference between the first two interfaces above are?

bturner2
09-11-2008, 08:07 AM
When I read your note this morning I went back and did some checking. I have the M475 which should be the same as yours just different packaging. I ordered and installed the cca-ipod adapter from SonicElectronix for $46.99. It has a square connector that plugs directly into the back of the M475. Sorry about the mis-information in my other note. I originally tried to order the EA1267 and was told it was no longer available and was given the choice of canceling the order or going with the new iPOD option. I have my receipt in front of me now so I know this is what is installed in my boat. It's smaller than the other converter and is very easy to install. Just plug it in. I'd find it hard to believe it wouldn't work on your unit if it works on mine.

btriantos
09-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Crutchfield...just got mine a month ago. $99.00

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9SRCdiNCNBR/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=020EA1251B

dwe
09-12-2008, 03:33 PM
I called Clarion, and learned a little more. The EA 1251 will work w/ the CMD3 and 4, but treats your ipod as a cd changer, in that you have to create 5 playlists, and you can only work through those. You can't scroll through anything else, or shuffle play. This model is still made.

The EA 1276(?) and CCA Ipod are equivalents, and they work with the CMD4A and CMD5. They allow you to scroll through any playlist, and shuffle play.

I haven't installed the CMD4 yet, so I think I'm going to return it, and go with the 4A model and CCAipod adaptor. I like being able to put the ipod on shuffle, and just skip songs I don't want to hear. I think having to control the ipod from the glove box wouldn't be much fun for me.

I also asked about my digital display not working properly. He said it's probably not due to a bad ground, but that its more consistent w/ water intruding into the back. Still I will try and clean my ground to see if it helps.

Whew! I hope this thread is helpful for someone else down the road!

btriantos
09-15-2008, 11:09 AM
If the CCAipod adapter was out two months ago, I would have bought it. I guess for half the price of the 1276, it wouldn't be a bad buy now anyway. There is something really nice about having the ipod in the glove box and controlling it with the remote. Kids in the boat a, a boarder in the water, blah, blah, blah = more driver overload.

bturner2
09-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Couldn't agree more. I like just having all the music there in one place, hitting shuffle and skipping anything I don't like. Makes it easy for guests to hear what they want too. I tell them if they want to pick the music to put together a play list, bring their iPOD and plug it in. Works great.

btriantos
09-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Well, I just ordered the CCAipod adapter. I can't wait to see that added features over the 1276. I'll let you know Monday if it was worth it

btriantos
09-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Update: The CCaipod adapter is a big improvement over the twice as expensive 1276! You won't find the convenience of the added features in the wired remote (expect for artist scrolling on the display), but you will get full access via the deck to control the ipod. Very cool

dwe
09-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Good to know about the adapter. Has anyone gone from mounting the CMD3 to CMD4 without using the mounting adapter that I've heard of?

btriantos
09-24-2008, 11:55 AM
I had major heartburn drilling hole in or around the dash (near the head unit). So, I just used the adhesive tape that came with it, and used a couple of tie wraps to hold the unit in place. It hasn't budged since I did this.

btriantos
09-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Scratch my last reply, I though you meant the adapter... Sorry