PDA

View Full Version : 89 Prostar Electrical Success At Last!

alanboater
09-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I have been sorting through treads all summer and working on my battery problem which was finally solved so I wanted to share my process... (I should have solved it quicker but this is my fiorst boat and I have never worked on and engine)...

So I purchased the boat in January and put it in the water and have been using it every 2-3 weekend since then. It would start up every day but after running abit I would have trouble starting it once the engine was hot. I temperarily solved this issue by not turning off the engine when I was on the water however it was always alittle stressfull when I turned it off at the gas station to fill up (I only got stuck there once).

First I pulled the starter and took it to napa to get tested (because my friend knew how to do that)...it was fine.

Then I noticed that the battery cables were heating up because they were coming apart and rusting abit by the terminals. Thinking that the cables were heating up while the engine was running and limiting the current flow I replaced them. But this did not work (but needed to be done anyway).

So then I finally tested the alternator with a tester and it registered the same 11.5 that the battery showed. So I pulled the alternator and took it to a shop to get tested. The guy at the shop did not even test it, as he said it looked like it needed cleaned up and as long as I pulled it from the boat he was going to clean it up! So a week later (and $135) I got it back - with a fresh coat of paint and all. I stuck it in my boat and for the first time ever saw my voltage meater shoot up to above 14!

FYI...I first tried to take it to Advanced Auto but the guy was very confused as the regulator is internal and he did not know how to test it with his machine...so I ran away and foud an excellent shop that rebuilds starters and alternators...you can tell these guys have been doing it forever anyone in the Atlanta area should go to these guys...

Auto Electric Remanufacturing‎
1389 Church Street Ext NE
Marietta, GA 30060
(770) 424-1274

So what I learned (most people may know this but it was new to me)...batteries recharge themselves overnight!

My battery had enough power to get the boat started the first time. Then while the boat was operating the bilge, fuel pump, lights, radio (although I disconnected this) and anything else that uses the electric current, used up the battery power while the alternator was NOT working. Then I would turn the boat off try to start it but would not have enough charge to turn it over. But then the battery would recharge overnight and I would be good to go in the AM! I assumed I had a problem when the engine was hot because my battery would start it up fine the next day...but I was wrong!

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this site and helps out folks like me! Next objective is to get new skins and take care of the oxidation!

alanboater
09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Here is a picture of my boat...

Gamble
09-04-2008, 03:52 AM
good looking rig!

Kevin 89MC
09-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for sharing the story. I've been thinking of getting my alt rebuilt as a preventive measure. It is almost 20 years old after all. I agree about taking it to a shops that specializes in alts and starters. Thankfully there is a good shop near me.

Nice looking boat by the way! I like that color scheme. Those '89s are great boats!

JimN
09-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Not trying to rain on your parade, but...

Batteries don't recharge overnight, they rebound a bit from being drawn down. What is probably happening is the solenoid is getting hot, the resistance in the coil is increasing and that can make the problem occur. The starter was checked when it was cold and it really needs to be checked when it's not. If the battery - cable wasn't changed, I would think about replacing it.

Connect the voltmeter to the battery and crank it, noting the voltage when cranking and not. If the voltage drops below 10, you have excessive current draw.

alanboater
09-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Thanks Jim,
The 'recharging' story was from the guy at the electrical repair shop that fixed my alternator. Perhaps the 'recharge' was exagerated and he should have said 'rebound'. I believed him because I was starting my boat for 7 months without an alternator and it would start every morning.

In the end the alternator rebuild fixed the problem. The resistance in the coil may have been another problem as I initially thought it was resistance in the battery cables and that is why I swapped them out (to no avail).

One question, not being a mechanical guy, should I still be concerned about the solenoid or would it have been heating up because my alternator was not working?

Thanks for the insight!

JimN
09-23-2008, 07:46 PM
The solenoid will definitely get hot when the battery needs to be charged because of a faulty alternator.