PDA

View Full Version : Boat Payments?

erkoehler
04-29-2005, 10:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, how long do you guys finance the boats for, and what kind of payments are we talking? I don't mean to be noisy, but am working on adjusting the financials!

milkmania
04-29-2005, 11:19 PM
paid cash, that's why it's a 1991 prostar 190.

Payments would have gotten me a newer boat, but it being my first one I needed to be somewhere where I could recover my initial investment...

...since everyone around here knows I couldn't sell matches to an eskimo:rant:

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 11:20 PM
5 years. Refinanced after about 1 year. 2.9% interest. Payments are $209 I add an extra $50 toward principal each month.

Will have it paid off by next August (just slightly over 3 years).

Leroy
04-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Cash, new in 2001, I like buying and keeping everything forever. This could be my one and only boat, unless I win the Overton's contest!

MarkP
04-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Cash,

Until I trade up.. and maybe after too...

erkoehler
04-29-2005, 11:30 PM
Here is one boat that I found,

http://www.boattraderonline.com/dealeraddphotos.html?78574310

Only problem is that it has 970 hours which is kind of high?

Asking 14,200.00

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Wait no longer. You've found your boat. One of my favorites. 970 isn't as bad as it sounds if it's been maintained well. The engines are rated for 2,000 hours and, if taken care of, could go longer.

erkoehler
04-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Something about such a high number makes me weary. I do like that model though.....

How much, ballpark is a new engine?

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 11:37 PM
New? Just rebuild it. A brand new fuel injected GT40 will run you about $6K. A rebuild is much cheaper.

It's not like posting. It takes normal people a long time to put hours on a boat.

That boat is 12 years old. That's not even 100 hours per year. That's probably considered below average use.

I love that model. Silver Anniversary Stars and Stripes for $14K! Request a test drive! People want these boats. People have requests for these boats in their signatures.

milkmania
04-29-2005, 11:39 PM
New? Just rebuild it. A brand new fuel injected GT40 will run you about $6K. A rebuild is much cheaper.

It's not like posting. It takes normal people a long time to put hours on a boat.

That boat is 12 years old. That's not even 100 hours per year. That's probably considered below average use.

east tx skier,

you, like many others are a true asset to this board....
I've read several posts of your tonight, and you offer good level headed advice.

unlike myself:o

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 11:45 PM
Thanks. But I don't know how level-headed the advice is. I'm nuts for the 93 S&S. I won't be buying it as I already have my hole in the water. But I love to see my TMC friends get ahold of them (assuming they're in good shape).

Lots of blue ones coming up for sale lately. That's the 4th one I've seen this year. Apart from George and Steve, I hardly ever see the red ones.

I guess I should qualify my post above. If you're considering buying a newer boat, it would be, in my humble opinion, much cooler to buy this boat and drop an multi port injected GT40 engine in it. What a screamer! :cool:

erkoehler
04-29-2005, 11:50 PM
Let me just fill you guys in alittle on my situation! I am 20 years old, and according to my parents (still live at home) I have to many toys already for a college student! SO, something would have to go in order for me to BEG/CONVINCE them that I want/NEED this boat. For instance, I would need to sell one of my two snowmobiles in order to cancel out the payment on that in order to adopt a boat payment. I HATE PAYMENTS!

Why do I need there approval you may ask? Gotta get a cosigner on a loan at the age of 20!

milkmania
04-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Let me just fill you guys in alittle on my situation! I am 20 years old, and according to my parents (still live at home) I have to many toys already for a college student! SO, something would have to go in order for me to BEG/CONVINCE them that I want/NEED this boat. For instance, I would need to sell one of my two snowmobiles in order to cancel out the payment on that in order to adopt a boat payment. I HATE PAYMENTS!

Why do I need there approval you may ask? Gotta get a cosigner on a loan at the age of 20!

where's you get that cockpit pic?
what year is it?
I like where the kill switch is located and the instrument layout:worthy:

*edit, nevermind.....I see by the windshield decals it is the same boat as posted before:o

erkoehler
04-29-2005, 11:58 PM
It was on the website where the boat is advertised. (Link in first post)

Teak looks good......

Leroy
04-29-2005, 11:59 PM
Well that's an easy choice, at least for me! Sell both and make sure you have all of the accessories you need and gas money!

I would need to sell one of my two snowmobiles in order to cancel out the payment on that in order to adopt a boat payment.

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Well that's an easy choice, at least for me! Sell both and make sure you have all of the accessories you need and gas money!

Can't sell both! What would I do in the winter? I will likely pay off the lein on the one and sell the other. Then, eventually go after the boat.

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 12:08 AM
I agree. Lose the snowmobiles. Chicks dig shiney boats. If properly maintained, the depreciation on that boat will be minimal. But in all honesty, don't get into too much debt. It's a killer. I should know. I'm married to a Bankruptcy attorney. She sees it every day.

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Can't sell both! What would I do in the winter? I will likely pay off the lein on the one and sell the other. Then, eventually go after the boat.

In the winter, you work on the boat and/or cuddle it. They need attention.

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 12:15 AM
I agree. Lose the snowmobiles. Chicks dig shiney boats. If properly maintained, the depreciation on that boat will be minimal. But in all honesty, don't get into too much debt. It's a killer. I should know. I'm married to a Bankruptcy attorney. She sees it every day.

I am scared of debt!

6ballsisall
04-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Dude, your 20. Don't get into the debt thing like most people today. I have seen to many of my friends get overextended and either loose a job and loose it all or they are so payment poor they can't do anything fun.
Of course this is just my opinion, I am about your age (26) and can tell you it's fun to have the toys but it's even more fun when you can use them. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now :twocents:

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 12:18 AM
I know what you mean! Alot of people I know are soaking up the debt. I try to avoid it as much as possible which is why I work while in school. So far, the only debt I have is my truck and snowmobile. And the snowmobile is soon to be done. :D

SkySkiSpokane
04-30-2005, 12:28 AM
OK, snowmobiles - Gone

Use the money to get a drysuit and that takes care of winter. We can ski 9-10 months out of the year here in the great white north with those things. (Pending there is no ice) I am 27 and bought my boat when I was 22. I financed most of it but didn't spread myself over 10-15 years like some. Be ready for the other costs: Oil, Gas, Impellers, Flush kits, TOYS, etc. etc. etc. After all of that it is still hands down the best monthly payment ever!! BUT - Don't get me wrong I am glad they nearly gone. :D

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 12:33 AM
I am pretty confident that I would be able to handle the payment, and it woud take some pretty stupid SH** to get me fired from my job! Even then, I could go work for Mag Red and be a painter!

We will see, I think I am going to put one of the sleds up on Ebay!

As far as skiing all year, we have a small problem w/ ice. Although, there is a power plant lake that stays open almost all year as it is used for cooling. Probably could ski from Aril till October/November with that.

SkySkiSpokane
04-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Those power plant lakes are the stuff dreams are made of in the winter!! :worthy:

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 12:39 AM
Yeah, but in the summer they are a bacteria breading ground!

DON'T DRINK THE WATER! :eek:

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 12:41 AM
OK, snowmobiles - Gone

Use the money to get a drysuit and that takes care of winter. We can ski 9-10 months out of the year here in the great white north with those things. (Pending there is no ice) I am 27 and bought my boat when I was 22. I financed most of it but didn't spread myself over 10-15 years like some. Be ready for the other costs: Oil, Gas, Impellers, Flush kits, TOYS, etc. etc. etc. After all of that it is still hands down the best monthly payment ever!! BUT - Don't get me wrong I am glad they nearly gone. :D

How did you work out the payment plan? Big down payment?

AirJunky
04-30-2005, 01:02 AM
Paid cash, which is why I own an 11 yr old boat. Even when I upgrade, I won't buy new. I'd rather have one of you guys eat the depreciation & break it in. Then I'll buy it 2 or 3 yrs old & ski the he!! out of it!

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 01:05 AM
the depreciation thing works out well in my position, especially with this boat. The S&S seem to hold the value really well.

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 01:15 AM
All the boats, after a certain point, hold their value pretty well. But those stars and stripes certainly don't hurt the equation. Maintenance is more important in my opinion.

As was mentioned above, these things take a lot of money to maintain. It's not just the monthly payment. It's ths impeller, the oil pump, the fuel filter, the transmission fluid, the oil, the teak oil, the fogging oil, the mid-grade gas for the boat, the tow vehicle, more gas for the tow vehicle, the backup skins and decals because you're worried they won't have them in a few years when you need them and, if you're like me, the perfect pass, the carb, new acme prop the fuel line, the intake manifold, new master cylinder, two new wheel cylinder, new stainless brake lines, new bunks and bunk carpet, new angle irons, repaint trailer, brake fluid, riser gaskets, the sea strainer, the jump seat, the new jump seat, the skis, the bindings, more skis, more bindings, wake boards, knee boards, course supplies, cinder blocks, latex tubing, ruber hose, gps, 900' of rope to measure, magnets, plastic hooks, boat bumpers, ski cases, kneeboard cases, wakeboard cases, old wooden skies, long wooden skis, ropes, dock lines, handles, deep v handles, combo skis, soap buddy, new prop guard, prop guard casters, new prop guard casters, sea foam, launch ramp fee, and soooo much more. Save your money, buddy. Stay in school so you can make more. Next to flying airplanes, this is up there with the really expensive hobbies. If I didn't love it so much, I'd give it up.

georgea0731
04-30-2005, 01:17 AM
We did a 10 year loan, got $37,200 and payments run around $415. Right now we're doubling our payments so it will be done a lot quicker.

AirJunky
04-30-2005, 01:21 AM
Point well taken, Doug. And to think that you've chosen one of the least expensive disciplines possible! Think about quadrupling the cost of your ski, bag, rope, or boat!!!

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 01:27 AM
Yeah. Of course, some of those new skis are getting up there in cost (close to $1K). But as for wakeboard boats, point very well taken here, too. It's nice to know that if I ever got the raise I say I deserve, I could get into the current hull in an 02 PT for around $28K.

AirJunky
04-30-2005, 01:33 AM
HEhehe, I wish.......
MC X-Star - used their $60k. New, closer to $80k.
Convertible Sky Ski - ride it standing up or sitting down - $6500.
SS wheelie bag - $300
SKB golf hard case with conversion kit - $450
Non-stretch rope & handle - $150

The grin on your face when you ride in horrible choppy conditions with dozens of other boats watching, and land your first wake back roll......... priceless.

bcampbe7
04-30-2005, 01:34 AM
I am 28, wife is 29. We bought our 96 PS190 in August of 2003 with 96 hours on it. Borrowed around $17K. It will be paid off in August of this year, we can't wait.

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 01:38 AM
HEhehe, I wish.......
MC X-Star - used their $60k. New, closer to $80k.
Convertible Sky Ski - ride it standing up or sitting down - $6500.
SS wheelie bag - $300
SKB golf hard case with conversion kit - $450
Non-stretch rope & handle - $150

The grin on your face when you ride in horrible choppy conditions with dozens of other boats watching, and land your first wake back roll......... priceless.

Gulp! :eek:

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 02:30 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I am going to list a snowmobile tomorrow on ebay if anyone is interested!

MasterMason
04-30-2005, 03:18 AM
I am thinking your resale value on the snowmobile is not going to be as high right now as at the end of the summer. Kind of like selling a boat in november. :twocents:

AirJunky
04-30-2005, 03:43 AM
Hey Doug,
You know the current hydrofoil world champ, Toddy Kyser, lives & rides on your home lake...... right? Todd & his friends are a riot to watch ride. The combinations of tricks he pulls daily are unreal.

SkySkiSpokane
04-30-2005, 04:14 AM
How did you work out the payment plan? Big down payment?

Yup, I put 6,000 down and finananced somewhere around 20,000 and then I have made "extra" payments. My term was originally 8 years. It will be paid in just over five. I'm buyin beer after that payment!! :friday:

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 05:36 AM
I am thinking your resale value on the snowmobile is not going to be as high right now as at the end of the summer. Kind of like selling a boat in november. :twocents:

Thats the great thing, I got great deals on my sleds and fixed them up nice, so I won't be loosing anything on any deal that I make.

BriEOD
04-30-2005, 07:03 AM
Paid cash, I like to own my stuff. The only thing my wife and I owe on is our home.

Andrť
04-30-2005, 09:28 AM
Paid 26 K. Gave 12 K cash.Financed the rest on 4 years,15 months left. All CDN $ amounts...80 $ weekly.
I drive a company truck so no car,gas,insurance and maintenance fees for me!!!

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Bill, Does he have a rather large, red boat? If so, I've seen him several times and we've always been impressed. Even if my memory about the boat is off, I know I've seen him ride. Never met him though.

Lauren Loe (pro wakeboarder) is from Longview, TX and used to ride quite a bit on our home away from home lake. Also very impressive to watch

milkmania
04-30-2005, 10:33 AM
All the boats, after a certain point, hold their value pretty well. But those stars and stripes certainly don't hurt the equation. Maintenance is more important in my opinion.

As was mentioned above, these things take a lot of money to maintain. It's not just the monthly payment. It's ths impeller, the oil pump, the fuel filter, the transmission fluid, the oil, the teak oil, the fogging oil, the mid-grade gas for the boat, the tow vehicle, more gas for the tow vehicle, the backup skins and decals because you're worried they won't have them in a few years when you need them and, if you're like me, the perfect pass, the carb, the fuel line, the intake manifold, new master cylinder, two new wheel cylinder, new stainless brake lines, new bunks and bunk carpet, new angle irons, repaint trailer, brake fluid, riser gaskets, the sea strainer, the jump seat, the new jump seat, the skis, the bindings, more skis, more bindings, wake boards, knee boards, course supplies, cinder blocks, latex tubing, ruber hose, gps, 900' of rope to measure, magnets, plastic hooks, boat bumpers, ski cases, kneeboard cases, wakeboard cases, old wooden skies, long wooden skis, ropes, dock lines, handles, deep v handles, combo skis, soap buddy, new prop guard, prop guard casters, new prop guard casters, sea foam, launch ramp fee, and soooo much more.

and all that including you don't hit any floating debris and do major damage to the skegs, prop shaft, prop or rudder, or heaven forbid fiberglass damage:worthy:

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Yeah, bought a shaft, rebuilt a prop, and got gel coat work done last summer on my father-in-law's boat. Not fun at all.

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 11:14 AM
and not very cheap I imagine!

BrianM
04-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Buy a little older boat and pay cash. Then in a few years sell it and upgrade when you have saved some more cash. That is my plan.

I bought my boat at 28 years old and paid cash for it. I paid $8,100 for my '88 in great shape with only 420 hours on it. I figure I will continue to save my money for a couple of more years (will have had the boat for 4 years) and then sell it for probably the same or very close to the amount I paid for it. Use that money and the additional money I have saved and upgrade to a newer '97 ish boat. That way I never have a payment and can spend that money on gas and enjoying the boat.

There are deals out there to be had and for someone that is young not having a payment makes it much easier to enjoy.

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 11:57 AM
The problem is that I don't want to go to old, as this will be my first inboard, and I don't want to have to many problems. Which is why the 900 hours worries me.

But, it is 12 years old, so I think that is about my limit.

MarkP
04-30-2005, 12:07 PM
I donít remember, oh yes I do.. Thatís not fuel injected right??? Thatís the only thing I would have done differently. But I am happy with my carb.

BrianM
04-30-2005, 12:08 PM
Like I said find an older boat that has been well maintained with low hours (my boat has half that many hours). I have had very little trouble with my boat in two years. In fact it seems that I had less trouble than many with boats 10 years newer. It all depends on how they were taken care of and how you take care of the boat and a little luck. :twocents:

MarkP
04-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Like I said find an older boat that has been well maintained with low hours (my boat has half that many hours). I have had very little trouble with my boat in two years. In fact it seems that I had less trouble than many with boats 10 years newer. It all depends on how they were taken care of and how you take care of the boat and a little luck. :twocents:All good points BrianM

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 12:18 PM
I am still waiting to hear back from the dealership on the condition of the gelcoat and the interior. Also on the engine. I guess only time will tell.

Leroy
04-30-2005, 12:22 PM
You might want to see what the lowest price is for an EFI engine. I think overall fewer problems, more consistent running and performance. Nothing like having a cold engine die when idling, won't happen with EFI.

wakesport
04-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Paid cash, I like to own my stuff. The only thing my wife and I owe on is our home.
I'm with you. I only owe on my house. Bought my 94 PS190 last year for 14k. The boat only had 265 hrs. I looked for a long time before I found this boat. Had to drive 500 miles to pick it up.

wakesport
04-30-2005, 12:51 PM
I am pretty confident that I would be able to handle the payment, and it woud take some pretty stupid SH** to get me fired from my job! Even then, I could go work for Mag Red and be a painter!

We will see, I think I am going to put one of the sleds up on Ebay!

As far as skiing all year, we have a small problem w/ ice. Although, there is a power plant lake that stays open almost all year as it is used for cooling. Probably could ski from Aril till October/November with that.
I'm 200 miles north of you and we have no problem skiing April - November. Some even get out on the Rock River when it is sub-zero.

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Carbs and cold starts are less of an issue in climates that don't see as much sub-Z weather. A few pumps of the throttle and it starts up every time. Past April, I'm not idling on the ramp. Plus, there's no one waiting for me in April around here anyway.

Age doesn't mean as much as you think it does. My father in law had more issues (apart from the stump) last year with his fuel injected 1998 prostar with under 200 hours than I did with my 12 year old carb'd boat with 570 hours. It is all about maintenance. I'd only recommend a fuel injected boat with all else being equal. At that point, fuel injection is obviously the way to go. A neglected boat is a neglected boat in spite of its fuel delivery system.

MarkP
04-30-2005, 01:29 PM
Alright

Iím starting to have trouble figuring out who is who when I read this board:confused:

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Mark, tell me about it! Oh well.

SkySkiSpokane
04-30-2005, 05:06 PM
OK since it has been mentioned...I there something behind the scenes with the Sonic avatars or are they just popular. This isn't the only thread that has mulitiple users with Sonic. :confused:

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 05:28 PM
OK since it has been mentioned...I there something behind the scenes with the Sonic avatars or are they just popular. This isn't the only thread that has mulitiple users with Sonic. :confused:

I originally got the avatar from Mark, and then all of the sudden to mess with me he started to have others adopt it.

SkySkiSpokane
04-30-2005, 05:33 PM
I figured there may be an inside joke on the horizon. :uglyhamme

rmckee47
04-30-2005, 07:53 PM
I just took delivery of a 2000 ProStar 190 with 51 hours. It's cherry. I'm not very informed about values, but it seems to me that 7 years of use and 900 hours ought to reduce the value by more than $5K. Or alternatively, that you can find a better deal. I financed my boat over 8 years, which would increase the cost by 50% if I take the note to term. I am going to make lump payments with each semiannual bonus to pay it off in three years. I would suggest taking a note whose payment you are comfortable with even if your income doesn't rise and then planning to pay it down more quickly as you are able.

Incidentally, I thought this question was a worthwhile one. I'm new, so I don't know the protocol of saying this, but I've noticed that many of your posts seem to be posted just to accumulate posts, which is a waste of time.

Ryan
04-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Save up and pay cash. You shouldn't pay $22k for a $14k boat over time unless you can make up the margin when you sell. Go mid-late 80's or look for a better deal. The price of your boat should be a function of your cash flow.

Marginal benefit: That S&S is priced fair, but you probably won't be able to work the price down. If performance, wake and functionality of the boat can be had for less, why spend $14k when it's not going to help you ski/board any better than a $5800 86 PS. Ok, the seats are more comfortable and there's a cool/gotta-have-it factor otherwise I'd stop looking at the 35th Ann. S&S in the Marketplace.

A better deal? I bought the same boat (93) minus the stars @ 610hrs for cash at the dealership. They were asking $11,000. Work their needs in your favor and offer fast payment. Probe to see if they're time sensitive. Beyond price, I negotiated into the deal an air boom with racks, barefoot boom (both used), bimini top, and convex leaf springs if I paid cash within the week all because I saw the stuff around the dealership and asked. It needed some minor cosmetic work (oxidation, decals & bunk carpet), stereo, and bimini install. But it's insured for $14,400 and will sell somewhere between there. It's run great since the day I bought it.

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Ryan,

Looks like you got a great deal! I am going to see what I can work on the price of the S&S, but we will see. It has been at that dealership for awhile now, so maybe they will be alittle more flexible if I encourage a fast transaction.

Snowmobile went on ebay today!

rodltg2
04-30-2005, 10:46 PM
nice boat ryan, my favorite mc year besides mine.

rodltg2
04-30-2005, 10:57 PM
I just took delivery of a 2000 ProStar 190 with 51 hours. It's cherry. I'm not very informed about values, but it seems to me that 7 years of use and 900 hours ought to reduce the value by more than $5K. Or alternatively, that you can find a better deal. I financed my boat over 8 years, which would increase the cost by 50% if I take the note to term. I am going to make lump payments with each semiannual bonus to pay it off in three years. I would suggest taking a note whose payment you are comfortable with even if your income doesn't rise and then planning to pay it down more quickly as you are able.

Incidentally, I thought this question was a worthwhile one. I'm new, so I don't know the protocol of saying this, but I've noticed that many of your posts seem to be posted just to accumulate posts, which is a waste of time.

ive noticed the same , i guess people on here think its cool to tally up a high post count. i love this site though since its fun to read what people say regardless if its meanigfull. ive have gotten alot of ggod advice.

i know theres no way i could pay cash for my boat , but i want to enjoy it now , not when i am too old to enjoy it. i bought my first boat at 17 w/ parents help and the bank . took me forever to pay it off , but i would never trade in the good times i had with it.cant put a value on that. im on my third boat now , i only lost about 5K on my 2nd boat which i owned for 5 years. not including maintanence etc. . if eric wants a boat now he should get it and get the one he wants . sure he may pay 22K after the financing , but having a boat at a young age makes you the coolest guy plus ladies lovin you.

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 11:18 PM
i know theres no way i could pay cash for my boat , but i want to enjoy it now , not when i am too old to enjoy it. i bought my first boat at 17 w/ parents help and the bank . took me forever to pay it off , but i would never trade in the good times i had with it.cant put a value on that. im on my third boat now , i only lost about 5K on my 2nd boat which i owned for 5 years. not including maintanence etc. . if eric wants a boat now he should get it and get the one he wants . sure he may pay 22K after the financing , but having a boat at a young age makes you the coolest guy plus ladies lovin you.

Thats what I am saying! I already manage a 170 dollar snowmobile payment, which is going to be gone in a week, so that will free up those monies for a BOAT!!!

I will likely try to finance for 8 years and at a 6% interest and that would only equate to approx. 4K in interest. Don't get me wrong, I realize 4K is a lot of money, but there is no way I could save up that kind of change and still have a boat at a reasonable age.

rodltg2
04-30-2005, 11:21 PM
you only live once! i dont think any man on his death bed would ever say," man i wish i had payed less for my boat when i was 21 and partied with less girls"

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Well, atleast you wouldn't find me or you saying that :uglyhamme

AirJunky
04-30-2005, 11:43 PM
I've noticed that many of your posts seem to be posted just to accumulate posts, which is a waste of time.

Ain't that the truth...... :cool:

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 11:48 PM
Ain't that the truth...... :cool:

Man, you guys are just tearing me apart today!

JEREMY79
05-01-2005, 12:35 AM
boat payments.

0 dollars per month for the next 100 years.

I'm glad its paid for!!!!

erkoehler
05-01-2005, 08:19 AM
So, now that we have established ideally that nobody wants a payment, what if......

You could not pay cash for your boat, and you were forced to make a payment for 8 years or better. Would you still own your Mastercraft?

MarkP
05-01-2005, 08:22 AM
So, now that we have established ideally that nobody wants a payment, what if......

You could not pay cash for your boat, and you were forced to make a payment for 8 years or better. Would you still own your Mastercraft?

YES! I would..

MarkP
05-01-2005, 08:32 AM
I originally got the avatar from Mark, and then all of the sudden to mess with me he started to have others adopt it.
Eric

I didnít do that. They did that on their own. I was a follower in that game..

Listen if you want I can put ďSonicĒ on a different speed..

east tx skier
05-01-2005, 12:29 PM

As someone who has a high post count, let me assure you that I'm not posting just to hear the clicking of the keys. I have enjoyed posting in this forum well before they had counters.

east tx skier
05-01-2005, 12:32 PM
you only live once! i dont think any man on his death bed would ever say," man i wish i had payed less for my boat when i was 21 and partied with less girls"

Indeed. The $13 per month and falling in interest is not something that worries me too much. If you've got the cash, obviously, that's the way to go, but if you can afford the payments, why not own the boat while you can enjoy it.

Ric
05-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Man, you guys are just tearing me apart today!
you guys quit wasting time

Ric
05-01-2005, 01:36 PM
As someone who has a high post count, let me assure you that I'm not posting just to hear the clicking of the keys. I have enjoyed posting in this forum well before they had counters.
erk
go wash your boat

Ric
05-01-2005, 01:37 PM

next thing you know, the newbies will be calling us out for hijacking threads :rant:

JEREMY79
05-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Listen if you want I can put ďSonicĒ on a different speed..

What make him go faster?

MarkP
05-01-2005, 07:08 PM
you guys quit wasting time
erk
go wash your boat
next thing you know, the newbies will be calling us out for hijacking threads :rant:
In a desperate attempt not to waste any ones time but my own, I would like to respond to the three posts at one time..

You tell em Ric

MarkP
05-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Oops,

Let me just sneak in and respond to one more. Jeremy, feed it Beer my friend, Beer and Eggs..

JEREMY79
05-01-2005, 07:50 PM
thats my diet mostly. You forgot the hot sauce and cheese.

6ballsisall
05-01-2005, 08:54 PM
I am kind of suprised the boating industry hasn't caught onto the leasing scene like the auto biz has. I wonder why?

MasterMason
05-01-2005, 09:09 PM
I am kind of suprised the boating industry hasn't caught onto the leasing scene like the auto biz has. I wonder why?

Because they can finance them over up to 15 years, so the payments are lower per month. They don't have to lease to get the lower payments. Plus if you didn't take care of a leased boat, they would get back trash they couldn't resell, but if your gonna take care of your boat you want to own it at the end of the payments. Just my :twocents:

sfitzgerald351
05-01-2005, 09:25 PM
In addition, leasing requires a strong secondary market which to my knowledge doesn't exist for boats. With leased cars there are huge regional auctions where all the off-lease cars, rental cars, etc... get dumped and then re-bought by dealers (both used and new), etc... Basically a leasing company doesn't want the car/boat/whatever back, they just want $$. So they need to be reasonably assured that they can resell the whatever at the end of the lease _quickly_. With boats, that's just not the case.

Leroy
05-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Also it is hard to value the degradation of the boat like a car. Many more things to go wrong that.

Mag_Red
05-01-2005, 10:13 PM
:confused: I must be the only one here with a boat payment.

lakes Rick
05-01-2005, 10:17 PM

When you have an old worn out 131 hour 94 Maristar like mine, I would hope you have it paid for.....

sfitzgerald351
05-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Maybe. I bought an older boat so I could pay cash! (and not have to supress wild rage if friends accidently let a ski hit the side of the boat)

Mag_Red
05-01-2005, 10:20 PM
When you have an old worn out 131 hour 94 Maristar like mine, I would hope you have it paid for.....131 hours! That thing isn't even broke in yet! :uglyhamme

lakes Rick
05-01-2005, 10:23 PM
131 hours! That thing isn't even broke in yet! :uglyhamme

Kinda sad.. I think I put 3 hours on it last year... Could be another bad summer.. Trying to focus on my convertible I bought in 90 and have never driven

Mag_Red
05-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Kinda sad.. I think I put 3 hours on it last year... Could be another bad summer.. Trying to focus on my convertible I bought in 90 and have never driven Rick I don't know what you do for a living, but you need to slow down and smell the roses every now and then. :banana:

erkoehler
05-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Mag,

Don't worry by the end of the summer I will have a boat payment too! :banana:

MasterMason
05-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Kinda sad.. I think I put 3 hours on it last year... Could be another bad summer.. Trying to focus on my convertible I bought in 90 and have never driven

Wow, I bought mine in jan, and I have already put 12 hours on it, and summer is not even here yet.

Mag_Red
05-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Mag,

Don't worry by the end of the summer I will have a boat payment too! :banana:If you got a dollar for every post you'd have the boat paid off by the end of Summer :D

MasterMason
05-01-2005, 10:48 PM

Nothing wrong with a boat payment, as long as you use it, I don't' understand the people that are making payments and the boat is sitting in the driveway or garage. I bought used and paid cash for mine, because I didn't want payments and I don't live on the water, so I can't use it every day. If it was on a lift in my back yard, I would be making payments for a brand new one.

ski36short
05-01-2005, 11:18 PM
If it was on a lift in my back yard, I would be making payments for a brand new one.

That's where mine is or at least should be if the weather would cooperate... I've got the new boat itch really bad but I still can't justify the payments since this lake is such a zoo I don't use it that often. I really need to hold off a couple years until I make my next move.

chfrogman
05-01-2005, 11:22 PM
I agree with MasterMason. When we bought our first Mastercraft we bought a used 1988 Prostar 190 with 890 hours on it. We really wanted a boat, but who knows how much we would actually use it. Ended up putting over 100 hours on it that summer. So, the next summer we sold it (for more than we paid) and upgraded to what suited the needs of the better.
I wish mine was on a lift in the back yard. Maybe someday. :)

Utahfoiler
05-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Wow, I bought mine in jan, and I have already put 12 hours on it, and summer is not even here yet.

Bought our new x-30 in Feb, and I have 19 hours on it, in the cold Utah weather.

chfrogman
05-01-2005, 11:33 PM
We picked up our 2005 X-2 on April 1st and have 10.2. Break-in really sucks.

MasterMason
05-01-2005, 11:39 PM
We picked up our 2005 X-2 on April 1st and have 10.2. Break-in really sucks.

ch

you run in the delta? My Bro lives in Disco bay, so I go out there when I get the time.

Leroy
05-01-2005, 11:39 PM
I've already put on 1.5 hours of driving around.....I think next weekend may be my first time in the water. Water temp was 59 degrees 3 weeks ago, 52 last weekend, and went out today and it was 49? What's going on?

MasterMason
05-01-2005, 11:42 PM
I've already put on 1.5 hours of driving around.....I think next weekend may be my first time in the water. Water temp was 59 degrees 3 weeks ago, 52 last weekend, and went out today and it was 49? What's going on?

Global warming?? :wavey:

chfrogman
05-01-2005, 11:44 PM
ch

you run in the delta? My Bro lives in Disco bay, so I go out there when I get the time.

Not to often. Discovery Bay is about an hour from us. We usually go up to Lake Berryessa.

MasterMason
05-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Not to often. Discovery Bay is about an hour from us. We usually go up to Lake Berryessa.

I haven't been to Berryessa since I was a kid sking behind my dad's old wooden trojan. I want to take my boy's on some camping trips with the boat this summer, might make it up that way.

chfrogman
05-01-2005, 11:54 PM
I haven't been to Berryessa since I was a kid sking behind my dad's old wooden trojan. I want to take my boy's on some camping trips with the boat this summer, might make it up that way.

Let us know when. There are some good campsites on the water. Lake is running over the Glory Hole, so it's full. Spanish Flats and Pleasure Cove for tents or RV. Steele Canyon only for RV.
Is this threadjacking?

MasterMason
05-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Let us know when. There are some good campsites on the water. Lake is running over the Glory Hole, so it's full. Spanish Flats and Pleasure Cove for tents or RV. Steele Canyon only for RV.
Is this threadjacking?

probably, but we are in good company

chfrogman
05-01-2005, 11:59 PM
probably, but we are in good company

Whew...I would hate to be banned from the site. :D :D

BriEOD
05-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Ch--What do you do for a living. Vacaville is right next to Travis.

H2OGirl
05-02-2005, 08:56 AM
ekohler, there is nothing wrong with a boat payment, trust me, I have one. The key is to pay it off as quickly as possible, most loans will let you pay it off early without penalty so take whatever term you need to make the payments so you can handle them and then try to pay extra, every little bit helps. Sometimes paying cash isn't an option, would be nice though. My husband and I put a significant amount of cash down on our new X-10 and financed the rest. Shop around for rates too, I've found that Credit Unions can give better rates than a Bank sometimes. The credit union I belong too runs a special every spring that you can finance anything with wheels for a cheap interest rate, last year it was 4.9% or something like that. They are doing it agian in June I believe. As for being worried about the hours, 900 doesn't sound too bad to me and look at us brand new with no hours and look at our troubles...it doesn't matter. My husband and I are also young 26 and 29 and we build our first home 2 years ago, paid for our wedding, have two newer vehicles and 01 silverado which we bought new and an 05 avalanche, we also have a '69 camaro which we are restoring, and we have two sleds (don't sell them both) and 01 and an 04. You can never have too many toys!! We usually finace our toys and pay off as early as possible and we shop around for good rates. If you shop wisely and know what you are buying and don't overpay to begin with, then you can usually recoup your money when you sell or trade-in. My husband likes to buy new, only because then he knows exacly how something has been taken care of, he is pretty particular about his toys. If something is well maintained it could last for ever with no problems.

JEREMY79
05-02-2005, 09:53 AM
I never said there was anything wrong with a boat payment. I had one for a while. I just think that if you are going to buy something like a boat, you can save you money just as easy. I dont have a new vehicle. because of the loss of resale. I however do have a 69 z-28 car, that is on the lift.
H20Girl i'm not picking on your post just using for an example.
what kind of camaro do you have.

edwin
05-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Here is one boat that I found,

http://www.boattraderonline.com/dealeraddphotos.html?78574310

Only problem is that it has 970 hours which is kind of high?

Asking 14,200.00

I know the owner of this PS190 - the boat is beautiful, skis great, runs like a top.

sten76
05-02-2005, 10:01 AM
I never said there was anything wrong with a boat payment. I had one for a while. I just think that if you are going to buy something like a boat, you can save you money just as easy. I dont have a new vehicle. because of the loss of resale. I however do have a 69 z-28 car, that is on the lift.
H20Girl i'm not picking on your post just using for an example.
what kind of camaro do you have.

There are 1000 ways to skin a cat. It all depends on your current situation and how you have your money invested. If you think you could invest that money, you would pay for a boat with, into something with a high return, then boat payments are the way to go because you are taking a larger amount of money and investing it. But if you do not currently have an investment to go after use the lump sum of cash to buy the boat. Everyone has their own ideas and own situations, it's all up to you.

chfrogman
05-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Ch--What do you do for a living. Vacaville is right next to Travis.

I'm a Mom and the other half works for the State of California. You're right, Travis is very close. Are you military?

Tom Wortham
05-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Dude, your 20. Don't get into the debt thing like most people today. I have seen to many of my friends get overextended and either loose a job and loose it all or they are so payment poor they can't do anything fun.
Of course this is just my opinion, I am about your age (26) and can tell you it's fun to have the toys but it's even more fun when you can use them. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now :twocents:

Jrandol,
Got any pics of your 86? Would like to see. :D

Brn85ss
05-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Never borrow money for a toy.Get in a house first.I took this advise when I was young and it worked well for me. When I was in my early 20's many of my friends bought new boats with payments and paid the price.Some just got in their first house a few years ago.Buy something cheaper and pay cash or just borrow a few k.Upgrade later,plus I think you said you were a first time boat owner,get something that you can learn with so if you put acouple dings in it you won't cry to much! :twocents:

6ballsisall
05-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Jrandol,
Got any pics of your 86? Would like to see. :D

You know I need to update the pics. If the weather is good this weekend will do it then. I am hoping this weekend works out, want to re-time the boat and get her out and put her thru the paces with the new carb.

Jeff

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 12:15 PM

No Mag, I've got one, too, for a little longer anyway. I look at it this way, at 2.9% interest, better to take the extra money and invest it. My investments are beating 2.9% at the moment.

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Shop around for rates too, I've found that Credit Unions can give better rates than a Bank sometimes. The credit union I belong too runs a special every spring that you can finance anything with wheels for a cheap interest rate, last year it was 4.9% or something like that.

I refinanced last year (for about $70) with a credit union. Got a 2.9% interest rate.

bradamerry
05-02-2005, 12:26 PM

As was mentioned above, these things take a lot of money to maintain. It's not just the monthly payment. It's ths impeller, the oil pump, the fuel filter, the transmission fluid, the oil, the teak oil, the fogging oil, the mid-grade gas for the boat, the tow vehicle, more gas for the tow vehicle, the backup skins and decals because you're worried they won't have them in a few years when you need them and, if you're like me, the perfect pass, the carb, new acme prop the fuel line, the intake manifold, new master cylinder, two new wheel cylinder, new stainless brake lines, new bunks and bunk carpet, new angle irons, repaint trailer, brake fluid, riser gaskets, the sea strainer, the jump seat, the new jump seat, the skis, the bindings, more skis, more bindings, wake boards, knee boards, course supplies, cinder blocks, latex tubing, ruber hose, gps, 900' of rope to measure, magnets, plastic hooks, boat bumpers, ski cases, kneeboard cases, wakeboard cases, old wooden skies, long wooden skis, ropes, dock lines, handles, deep v handles, combo skis, soap buddy, new prop guard, prop guard casters, new prop guard casters, sea foam, launch ramp fee, and soooo much more. Save your money, buddy. Stay in school so you can make more. Next to flying airplanes, this is up there with the really expensive hobbies. If I didn't love it so much, I'd give it up.
Doug you forgot the Toob!!!!!

rodltg2
05-02-2005, 12:27 PM
i have a boat payment and it hurts since i just paid of my mb sports. had a large down though.

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Doug you forgot the Toob!!!!!

I sold it (unused), so that's in the accounts receivable column.

erkoehler
05-02-2005, 04:40 PM
ekohler, there is nothing wrong with a boat payment, trust me, I have one. The key is to pay it off as quickly as possible, most loans will let you pay it off early without penalty so take whatever term you need to make the payments so you can handle them and then try to pay extra, every little bit helps. Sometimes paying cash isn't an option, would be nice though. My husband and I put a significant amount of cash down on our new X-10 and financed the rest. Shop around for rates too, I've found that Credit Unions can give better rates than a Bank sometimes. The credit union I belong too runs a special every spring that you can finance anything with wheels for a cheap interest rate, last year it was 4.9% or something like that. They are doing it agian in June I believe. As for being worried about the hours, 900 doesn't sound too bad to me and look at us brand new with no hours and look at our troubles...it doesn't matter. My husband and I are also young 26 and 29 and we build our first home 2 years ago, paid for our wedding, have two newer vehicles and 01 silverado which we bought new and an 05 avalanche, we also have a '69 camaro which we are restoring, and we have two sleds (don't sell them both) and 01 and an 04. You can never have too many toys!! We usually finace our toys and pay off as early as possible and we shop around for good rates. If you shop wisely and know what you are buying and don't overpay to begin with, then you can usually recoup your money when you sell or trade-in. My husband likes to buy new, only because then he knows exacly how something has been taken care of, he is pretty particular about his toys. If something is well maintained it could last for ever with no problems.

What kind of snowmobiles do you have? I definetly won't sell both as up hear the summer is to short to just have a boat and nothing for when the snow flies.

MrsJMT
05-02-2005, 06:04 PM

No Mag, we've got one too. Traded in our 96 SeaRay (paid for) so had a big down payment, financed through the Credit Union for a relatively short term AND made it a second on the house so get to deduct the interest.. :D

Ric
05-02-2005, 06:16 PM
No Mag, we've got one too. Traded in our 96 SeaRay (paid for) so had a big down payment, financed through the Credit Union for a relatively short term AND made it a second on the house so get to deduct the interest.. :D
I have one too Mag, don't worry.
6 years at the credit union for low interest after a nice down payment. I don't mind making boat payments as long as my boat gets USED, that's what makes it ok with me.

Larryp
05-02-2005, 06:34 PM
I like that 93 S&S. I've never seen one. As far as payments go there is a lot of calculators on the web that are pretty accurate. I'm a member of USAA and as far as rates and terms they are very easy to along with. Buy that boat. :steering:

Andrť
05-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Ric
Sorry to ask again but did you get YOUR boat yet ?
(This is not a Hi jack ,as mentionned earlier i have a boat payment.Thanks)

Ric
05-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Ric
Sorry to ask again but did you get YOUR boat yet ?
(This is not a Hi jack ,as mentionned earlier i have a boat payment.Thanks)
nope
looking at mid june before mine gets here
maybe if I stay quiet, they'll bring me an '06 :eek:

MarkP
05-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Ya know I saw an 88 on SIA that wouldnít take a lot of work or much of a payment.. http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=SIA02064

JEREMY79
05-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Nothing wrong with a little elbow grease to lower the payments

bradamerry
05-02-2005, 09:03 PM
I had a payment at first. Did a 5 yr. note to keep the monthly payment down just in case money got thin, but had it paid off in about 10 months. I had about 85% of the money when a got the boat, but didn't want to part with it all up front.

stevo137
05-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Some good points were made regarding the interest on older boats. Older MC's are money in the bank as long as they are well kept and maintained properly.
I was fortunate to pay cash for both of mine and sold my 88 for a decent dollar.
The 88 was under 10k and was a great first ski boat.
ER, If you really love the boat then make sure you see the maint. records and ask many questions. Spend a lot of time in it and even ski behind it if possible.
If that S&S is in good condition, it won't last long.
Put down as much cash as possible and be safe out there. ;)
(I did use some equity at very low interest rate for some of the 93 S&S, I didn't want to miss out on it and I still owned the 88 Tristar).

Sledneck
05-02-2005, 09:14 PM
MarkP, that looks like a good deal to me.!

I always tend to chime in late.. :( But none-the-less I will offer my opinion as I found myself in a similar situation when I bought my boat..

I've watched some friends take some insane 72 and 84 month terms :eek: On everything from trucks, atv's, sleds, to boats and back.. Talk about nightmare.. sure $0 down and $99/month seems like a great deal on a brand new snowmobile.. but my god son that's gonna cost you 14grand and by the time it's paid for you'll be almost 30.. Ok, so maybe thats an extreme example.. but sadly people sign up for this kind of thing everyday..

I've come to the conclusion (IMO) financing anything is a bad investment (a house being the obvious exception to the rule)..

I chose to take the cash route and picked up an '87 ps190 and have never looked back since.. Sure I may never own a current model year boat, or snowmobile.. but I will always have money to put in the gas tank.. ;)

I guess you can consider it a little peice of mind too.. if you ever fall on hard times and need some cash you can always sell it for cash in hand.. Where as you might be in for a sticker shock when you see what you put into your pocket after you sell something that was financed and pay off the remaing balance....

That's my :twocents: Canadian..

ski36short
05-02-2005, 10:56 PM
Total thread hijack - Brad, awesome avatar. One of my favorite South Park episodes. Respect my authoritah!!!

jsonova99
05-02-2005, 11:23 PM
MarkP, that looks like a good deal to me.!

I always tend to chime in late.. :( But none-the-less I will offer my opinion as I found myself in a similar situation when I bought my boat..

I've watched some friends take some insane 72 and 84 month terms :eek: On everything from trucks, atv's, sleds, to boats and back.. Talk about nightmare.. sure $0 down and $99/month seems like a great deal on a brand new snowmobile.. but my god son that's gonna cost you 14grand and by the time it's paid for you'll be almost 30.. Ok, so maybe thats an extreme example.. but sadly people sign up for this kind of thing everyday..

I've come to the conclusion (IMO) financing anything is a bad investment (a house being the obvious exception to the rule)..

I chose to take the cash route and picked up an '87 ps190 and have never looked back since.. Sure I may never own a current model year boat, or snowmobile.. but I will always have money to put in the gas tank.. ;)

I guess you can consider it a little peice of mind too.. if you ever fall on hard times and need some cash you can always sell it for cash in hand.. Where as you might be in for a sticker shock when you see what you put into your pocket after you sell something that was financed and pay off the remaing balance....

That's my :twocents: Canadian..

I agree totally, that's why I went with an older boat. I learned my lesson when I bought my truck about financing for too long, and I will never take on anything big again, even if I can afford the payments.

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 11:30 PM
I like that 93 S&S. I've never seen one. As far as payments go there is a lot of calculators on the web that are pretty accurate. I'm a member of USAA and as far as rates and terms they are very easy to along with. Buy that boat. :steering:

The Carolina 93 S&S is back on ebay if anyone's interested. Search for "Master Craft" (two words).

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't think that all financing (save a home) is a bad investment. Or maybe I should say while it may be a bad investment, it might not be a bad idea. Look at Brad's situation where he didn't want to part with cash up front. I'm paying 2.9% on my boat after a refi' and wasn't paying much more for the first year. Like Brad, I had over 3/4 of the cash at the time of purchase, but got a low enough rate that I was confident I could make more with that money in the market than what I was paying in interest. I was right. The trick is to prepay the principal. But it's good to know that I have a while to pay it out if things get tight moneywise. In the end, how best to make your money work for you is absolutely dependent on your personal situation. As a straight financial investment, few if any of these boats would probably qualify as a good one from a money in/money out standpoint. While there are some that have been sold for more or slightly less than was paid for them originally, considering the upkeep, nobody comes out ahead dollarwise. Look at the prices for the three year old 197s in the marketplace. They depreciate hard at first, but not so much later. However, If you think of them as an investment in good times spent on the water with friends and family and it's hard to remember what you did before you had the boat. I don't mind making the payment each month and am not starving to do it yet.

Come to think of it, I spend more on coffee than I do on interest on my boat payment. I've spent more on lunch than I spend in a month in interest on my boat payment. So if financing a 93 prostar is a deal breaker, you guys should see my coffee bill. Fortunately, I invested the money I had when I bought the boat in Starbucks. :D

jimmer2880
05-03-2005, 06:31 AM
Never borrow money for a toy.Get in a house first.I took this advise when I was young and it worked well for me. When I was in my early 20's many of my friends bought new boats with payments and paid the price.Some just got in their first house a few years ago.Buy something cheaper and pay cash or just borrow a few k.Upgrade later,plus I think you said you were a first time boat owner,get something that you can learn with so if you put acouple dings in it you won't cry to much! :twocents:

Funny thing is, when I first got married, that was our approach also. Then - after 7 wonderful years of he!! - I mean bliss, we got divorced. Then, I boat a $16,000 MC (used) & built a $6,000 lift dock. THEN I bought a house. I figured that if I didn't do it in that order, I'd never have the money for toys I really wanted. Good thing is I was able to pay off the boat before buying the house and the dock was all cash.

My recomendation is... live with your parents until AFTER you own all the toys you want. Then get married, buy a house and have kids.

erkoehler
05-03-2005, 06:36 AM
Funny thing is, when I first got married, that was our approach also. Then - after 7 wonderful years of he!! - I mean bliss, we got divorced. Then, I boat a $16,000 MC (used) & built a $6,000 lift dock. THEN I bought a house. I figured that if I didn't do it in that order, I'd never have the money for toys I really wanted. Good thing is I was able to pay off the boat before buying the house and the dock was all cash.

My recomendation is... live with your parents until AFTER you own all the toys you want. Then get married, buy a house and have kids.

I plan on living w/ my parents for atleast another 4-6 years! Might as well use, I mean stay with them while you can. I am going to join the plumbers union or electricians union during the next signups which are in January so this may be my last "free" summer. So, I know I will have the income it is just a matter of where is comes from and where it goes! :D

erkoehler
05-03-2005, 06:37 AM
Off to work now! Keep this thread going while I'm gone!

jsonova99
05-03-2005, 07:42 AM
I think my parents would have kicke dme out if I had used them to be able to buy a bunch of toys! :purplaugh

My best advice summing everything up is don't get in over your head. You will never enjoy a boat or anything if it is a stretch at all to make payments, just remember that. :twocents:

bradamerry
05-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Total thread hijack - Brad, awesome avatar. One of my favorite South Park episodes. Respect my authoritah!!!
Thank you, Thank you, but I had some help in picking it!!! Thanks Pdaddy :uglyhamme .

bradamerry
05-03-2005, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE]Like Brad, I had over 3/4 of the cash at the time of purchase, but got a low enough rate that I was confident I could make more with that money in the market than what I was paying in interest. I was right. The trick is to prepay the principal.[QUOTE]

Doug are you saying the Wildman made a good move with money on this buy???? :confused:

bcampbe7
05-03-2005, 08:12 AM
You will never enjoy a boat or anything if it is a stretch at all to make payments, just remember that. :twocents:

I couldn't be happier that we financed our boat. I think the good times my wife, friends and I have had out on the water more than make up for the interest paid.
To add to what jsonova99 said, the only time I do not "enjoy" making my boat payment is in the dead of winter. It's not too fun making monthly payments for something you are not using. May be something to keep in mind for those long Illinois Winters.

BriEOD
05-03-2005, 09:18 AM
I plan on living w/ my parents for atleast another 4-6 years! Might as well use, I mean stay with them while you can. I am going to join the plumbers union or electricians union during the next signups which are in January so this may be my last "free" summer. So, I know I will have the income it is just a matter of where is comes from and where it goes! :D

Dude, you're crazy. I left for the Air Force the week I graduated highschool. I've never asked my mother for anything, and I've earned everything I have on my own which I'm proud of. The only thing my wife and I owe on is our home. The Air Force even pays my $16K a year tuition. Can't beat that.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned in your efforts to procure a boat is the fact that you will need full coverage insurance. You should have insurance anyway, but the lender is going to require full coverage. That is another lump sum or monthly payment. Way all your options carefully. Your pretty young and don't want to damage your credit.

BriEOD
05-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Eric--How about this one man: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4546697459&category=63686

Looks clean, has an old 351 that's easy to work on and isn't going to cost you a fortune. You could probably get a $5K signature loan at your bank. I'd look for something like this. :twocents:

erkoehler
05-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Dude, you're crazy. I left for the Air Force the week I graduated highschool. I've never asked my mother for anything, and I've earned everything I have on my own which I'm proud of. The only thing my wife and I owe on is our home. The Air Force even pays my $16K a year tuition. Can't beat that.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned in your efforts to procure a boat is the fact that you will need full coverage insurance. You should have insurance anyway, but the lender is going to require full coverage. That is another lump sum or monthly payment. Way all your options carefully. Your pretty young and don't want to damage your credit.

I should have clarified, I don't freeload off of my parents. I work full time, contribute to the household, help w/ maintainence and upkeep. I am not just a "warm body" that lives in the house.

Secondly, I know all about the insurance thing. I do it right now with the snowmobile, and definetly believe in FULL coverage insurance. (A story for another day! :D )

Thirdly, my credit is a concern. I want to be in a house within the next few years, and don't want to have a huge mortgage, that is why I am looking at the early nineties models instead of current.

MarkP
05-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Thats a sharp boat..

erkoehler
05-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Eric--How about this one man: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4546697459&category=63686

Looks clean, has an old 351 that's easy to work on and isn't going to cost you a fortune. You could probably get a $5K signature loan at your bank. I'd look for something like this. :twocents:

I want something newer than that. I would like to stay in the 90's era. It is my worry that going back that old I will incur to many maintenance issues that will cause off water wasted time. :D

BriEOD
05-03-2005, 09:36 AM
This isn't to far from you...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4547445094&category=63686&sspagename=WDVW

MarkP
05-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Man!!

The next time I look for a boat Iím going to hire Brian

sizzler
05-03-2005, 10:10 AM
next time i buy a boat i'm coming over there to buy it and float her home.......

BriEOD
05-03-2005, 10:22 AM
You would get killed in taxes I would thinK?

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE]Doug are you saying the Wildman made a good move with money on this buy???? :confused:

Yes, that's what I'm saying. You've got a boat that's paid for don't ya!

MarkP
05-03-2005, 10:23 AM
You would get killed in taxes I would thinK?Or on the ride home!!

edwin
05-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Here's another 93 PS190 http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=SIA01987

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 10:28 AM

Very good point. Need to put that one on my list (see above). I would add that good credit is not something with which you're born, but rather something you build. It's none of my business whether Eric lives at home or lives in a van down by the river. But if he's not paying rent or a mortgage, paying on something will help his credit score. I moved back home during my first year of law school. And the one thing I can say about that is that it's really hard to score with chicks when you live with your parents. But then again, not everything worth while is easy.

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 10:33 AM
I want something newer than that. I would like to stay in the 90's era. It is my worry that going back that old I will incur to many maintenance issues that will cause off water wasted time. :D

But you'd have saved money on the front end to cover that maintenance. There is no real correlation between the model year and maintenance required. Look at the maintenance that's been done on a boat.

By way of analogy, the difference between buying a car with 70K miles on it and one with 120K miles on it is the one with 120K miles is more likely to (1) less expensive, and (2) have had the timing belt replaced and a tune up.

JEREMY79
05-03-2005, 10:47 AM
By way of analogy, the difference between buying a car with 70K miles on it and one with 120K miles on it is the one with 120K miles is more likely to (1) less expensive, and (2) have had the timing belt replaced and a tune up.

The truck I'm driving now Motor blew at 36000 miles.

sizzler
05-03-2005, 10:47 AM
You would get killed in taxes I would thinK?

still loads cheaper after taxes........might have to put the bow tonneau cover on tho' :D

MarkP
05-03-2005, 10:52 AM
still loads cheaper after taxes........might have to put the bow tonneau cover on tho' :DDude your going to need more than the "bow tonneau cover".. How about a periscope
Donít forget the camera

Leroy
05-03-2005, 11:05 AM
What brand?

Ric
05-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Dude your going to need more than the "bow tonneau cover".. How about a periscope
Donít forget the camera

and sunscreen, did you see the kid on tv who was lost in the little sailboat? :eek:

Ric
05-03-2005, 11:07 AM
are you stunt driving?

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 11:13 AM

I'm sorry to hear that. Sort of exemplifies what I was saying though. No correlation between age, hours, miles and maintenance required. Again, I hate that you had problems with such a low mileage vehicle.

sfitzgerald351
05-03-2005, 11:14 AM
I bought an older MC since the boating season here in Massachusetts is pretty short and I didn't want to be out a ton of cash for something that was going to sit in the driveway 8 months out of the year. There weren't a lot of older used inboards around, but I got mine with 900 hours on the block and in decent shape. I had to replace a few things like the battery and cables and do some regular maintenance and tune-up. And also replace the starter. I've had the boat for 4 years and say my yearly maintenance expernses are like $2-300 of which a good part is for the annual maintenance. These older boats are very simple and easy to maintain as long as they weren't neglected. So don't shy away from the older boats because of maintenance. Look at the price, how it was taken care of, how you LIKE it and how it drives and skis. You might just find a S&S you really like and have a few $$ left over.

sizzler
05-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Dude your going to need more than the "bow tonneau cover".. How about a periscope
Donít forget the camera

might have to go via newfoundland,greenland,iceland,scotland,in case i need to refuel........beer that is.... :D

jimmer2880
05-03-2005, 12:10 PM
... And the one thing I can say about that is that it's really hard to score with chicks when you live with your parents. But then again, not everything worth while is easy.

But - if you have a boat, scoring is much easier than if you don't. Although, living with your parents does make it harder than if you didn't have a boat.

BTW - when I mentioned living at home - I wasn't saying freeload off of your folks. I paid rent, etc when I had to temporarily move back in (for 2-3 months as I remember it).

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 12:15 PM
If you plan on scoring in your boat ...

1. Stay away from the slalom course as you'll send rollers toward it.

2. Spray 303 liberally on the seats beforehand.

3. Angle your mirrors downward.

4. Attach her big toe to the hook on the trakker.

5. Run the blower for 5 minutes before restart.

6. Make sure she reimburses you for gas.

Leroy
05-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Sizzler; Think you will need the navigation package or maybe you can make it with a sextant and a good sky chart! :D And coordinates of friendly ports!

might have to go via newfoundland,greenland,iceland,scotland,in case i need to refuel........beer that is.... :D

erkoehler
05-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Here's another 93 PS190 http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=SIA01987

I saw that one, and submitted some questions on it.

Leroy
05-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Isn't 303 an irritant? :o

bradamerry
05-03-2005, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=bradamerry]

Yes, that's what I'm saying. You've got a boat that's paid for don't ya!
You must really want to go camping with Farmer and I if you are praising with me!!!!!

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Sure, but one has nothing to do with the other. Paying a loan off over four years is good. Just looked at my loan statement on my boat today. I was charged $9 in this month interest. Not a deal breaker in my humble opinion.

6ballsisall
05-03-2005, 02:40 PM

1. Stay away from the slalom course as you'll send rollers toward it.

3. Angle your mirrors downward.

4. Attach her big toe to the hook on the trakker.

5. Run the blower for 5 minutes before restart.

6. Make sure she reimburses you for gas.

Wow East, this sounds like someone speaking from experience :friday:

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Nah. Just bein' folksy.

JEREMY79
05-03-2005, 02:50 PM
It is a Chevy. 1995 Z-71 truck. 350. No It was driven by an older fella that took good care of it. Then I ended up with it. Runs like a top now.

rodltg2
05-03-2005, 03:03 PM
the 303 is way to slippery , i always slide off the seats when getting busy.

JEREMY79
05-03-2005, 03:09 PM

cant get no traction

bradamerry
05-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Try the swim Platform :banana: !!!

erkoehler
05-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Stay on topic boys :D

MarkP
05-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Try the swim Platform :banana: !!!
Nope,

You end up on the garage floor if you do that. :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
05-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Stay on topic boys :D

Which topic? :D :D :D

stevo137
05-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Eric, my advice would be to not buy that boat. ;)

OhioProstar
05-03-2005, 05:59 PM
I bought an inboard right out of college...in fact it was the first thing I did when I had a full time job. The nice thing about a 10+ year old inboard is you will not lose the huge amounts of scratch on depriciation. I bought a '88 CC SN for 10,500 and sold it three summers later for $9,500, in November. Basically it was because I was between jobs and naturally a toy is the first to go. I have never taken out a loan longer than 4 years, the boat I have now is paid for after two years. There is a break even point on loan values that from my research is around 6-7 years depending on the boat. I would suggest researching what a 1990, a 1991, a 1992 will price out at and you will then have a better understanding of what the boat will depreciate at. Put that against an ammorization schedule on your bank rate and you will be able to see where you might be in a year, two, etc. Personally I always like to know what my worst case scenario is and plan for it ahead of time.

Work the dealer down in price, there is no way he paid anywhere near $14k for the boat even on trade. Let him know that you are willing to pay X amount and if he says no give him your number and tell him that when he is ready to move the boat give you a call. They almost always will.

Good Luck and remember that credit card debt is BAD...jet ski debt is almost as bad, and a boat isn't really too bad.

Leroy
05-03-2005, 06:04 PM
ERK; This is an area where this board is really good at helping and you've got to feel pretty special receiving all of this expert advise! It really is so easy to jump in buying something that you quickly regret. Wish I would have had your self control earlier!

What does your Mom and Dad say?

ski36short
05-03-2005, 06:07 PM
I think my parents would have kicke dme out if I had used them to be able to buy a bunch of toys!

Once upon a time (albeit briefly) my dad's garage was my 95 190 and 98 Z28... And he wouldn't drive either of them! Now it's starting to come full circle. I think I'm loaning them my rig for vacation this summer.

stevo137
05-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Eric, Just a few more thoughts.
Think about how much time you will actually use it vs. what it will cost.
I know the area that you live in and it's not very far from me.
Where will you use it? Do your parents have a place on a lake?
I am fortunate to have a lake about 14 miles south of me where my brother in law has a cottage. He allows me to keep my own lift there and use the place.
It has gotten to the point that I rarely get a chance to ski on decent water no matter when I go. The lake is swarming with wakeboard boats, jetskis, lake Michigan boats, you name it!
We just don't have many lakes in our area. In your case, you have Fox lake which has the same problems. Some Chicago people have places in Wisconsin but still the drive is pretty far.
Oh, I forgot, you also have the Illinois river. Be ready to pay for a new shaft, rudder, or prop, and whatever other damage you do when you hit a log or something in the river.
What will you tow it with?
Where will you store it?
Have you considered how much it will cost to maintain, winterize, store, insure, pay for repairs, GASSS! The boat probably needs a new cover, appr $500-1,200 depending if you go the cheap way out.
I am not trying to be negative, just realistic.
I am to the point of considering selling mine and playing more golf! At least it's peaceful and relaxing, until I hook one in the brink or whiff a chip shot! (And no one to blame but me). ;)

ERIC! DON'T BUY THAT BOAT!!!!!!!

MarkP
05-03-2005, 07:03 PM
I am to the point of considering selling mine

La la la la FOR SALE La la la la!!! :uglyhamme LOL stevo PM me:D

stevo137
05-03-2005, 07:08 PM
La la la la FOR SALE La la la la!!! :uglyhamme LOL stevo PM me:D

Easy Mark! Let me clarify, I HAVE HAD THOUGHTS ABOUT SELLING IT.
Keep in mind that I haven't seen her for quite some time! ;)

ski_king
05-03-2005, 07:10 PM
....I am to the point of considering selling mine....
when you are serious, let me know

bcampbe7
05-03-2005, 07:11 PM
Stevo-
I have seen your boat up close and it is VERY nice. If you need a place to use it come back down here and we will pull you around the lake.

MarkP
05-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I realize that but thought I would throw my hat into the ring before erko did;)

Also trying to show that I probably read EVERY word posted.:o

MarkP
05-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Just out of curiosity, how long do you guys finance the boats for, and what kind of payments are we talking? I don't mean to be noisy, but am working on adjusting the financials!Now look what you started:rant:

stevo137
05-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Beau, It's too bad that you live so far away.
Tims is a great lake.
We enjoyed it very much.

MasterMason
05-03-2005, 07:25 PM

The first time he pushes that throtle forward and hits plane, all thoughts of getting rid of it will be gone until next winter I would bet.

stevo137
05-03-2005, 07:30 PM
The first time he pushes that throtle forward and hits plane, all thoughts of getting rid of it will be gone until next winter I would bet.

LOL, Master, just looking at last years pics has me chompin' at the bit!

Tom Jones
05-03-2005, 07:43 PM
I agree, I wouldn't worry too much about the hours. These are essentially car engines ( 200, 000 miles is pretty common these days) which can go a long long way as long as it has had good basic maintenance e.g. frequent oil changes and not run as a barefoot boat (run wide open all the time) they are still good investments. I buy used with cash as I don't believe in taking loans out on recreational toys. Of course I probably have too many toys but that is another story.

BriEOD
05-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey Steve does your wife know you're selling the boat? :uglyhamme

HEY EVERYONE STEVE'S SELLING THE BOAT!!! 8p

MarkP
05-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Hey Steve does your wife know you're selling the boat? :uglyhamme

HEY EVERYONE STEVE'S SELLING THE BOAT!!! 8p
I donít think he knew until he strayed into this thread. :uglyhamme

He did offer it to me first:smile:

bradamerry
05-03-2005, 07:53 PM
That would not be good for the Swimsuit thread. And Mark, she doesn't come with the deal, I'm sure!!! :uglyhamme

stevo137
05-03-2005, 07:59 PM
LMAO! You guys are crazy! I should have known better!
Now I'm a threadjacker! :eek:

BriEOD
05-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Steve man your trouble dude, look what you started!! ;)

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 12:21 PM
See, what did I say about the 93 S&S. Even these guys who already have boats want one.

Oh, and Steve, that feeling will pass long before you get that boat on plane. You'll see it and wonder what you were thinking.

Just got mine back after far too long while it waited for a simple fix. Got it shined back up and am so ready to get it on the water I can't see straight.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Eric, my advice would be to not buy that boat. ;)

Why do you say that?

I talked w/ the owner yesterday, and it is being sold through a private seller, not the dealer ship. Photos were just taken in front of the dealership for more publicity. He does seem willing to negotiate alittle.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Eric, Just a few more thoughts.
Think about how much time you will actually use it vs. what it will cost.
I know the area that you live in and it's not very far from me.
Where will you use it? Do your parents have a place on a lake?
I am fortunate to have a lake about 14 miles south of me where my brother in law has a cottage. He allows me to keep my own lift there and use the place.
It has gotten to the point that I rarely get a chance to ski on decent water no matter when I go. The lake is swarming with wakeboard boats, jetskis, lake Michigan boats, you name it!
We just don't have many lakes in our area. In your case, you have Fox lake which has the same problems. Some Chicago people have places in Wisconsin but still the drive is pretty far.
Oh, I forgot, you also have the Illinois river. Be ready to pay for a new shaft, rudder, or prop, and whatever other damage you do when you hit a log or something in the river.
What will you tow it with?
Where will you store it?
Have you considered how much it will cost to maintain, winterize, store, insure, pay for repairs, GASSS! The boat probably needs a new cover, appr $500-1,200 depending if you go the cheap way out.
I am not trying to be negative, just realistic.
I am to the point of considering selling mine and playing more golf! At least it's peaceful and relaxing, until I hook one in the brink or whiff a chip shot! (And no one to blame but me). ;)

ERIC! DON'T BUY THAT BOAT!!!!!!!

Okay, is there something you know about that boat that you aren't telling me? And to answer some of your questions:

Storage will be at our resort in Wisconsin during winter, and wherever I am at in the summer. We have 3 garages up there, so I will find a spot for it.

I will use it on the fox river, and chain, along with lakes in Southern WI which is only about an 60-90 minutes away. Also, we do have a lake cabin in WI>

It will be towed by my Durango.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 12:36 PM
I realize that but thought I would throw my hat into the ring before erko did;)

Also trying to show that I probably read EVERY word posted.:o

If you are looking to get out, I am looking to get in! As long as Mark doesn't really want it.

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Not trying to interfere in the transaction, but unless that boat owner is really ready to sell, i.e., you have to coax them the least little bit into the transaction, just go ahead and add a couple of extra $k to that price.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Not trying to interfere in the transaction, but unless that boat owner is really ready to sell, i.e., you have to coax them the least little bit into the transaction, just go ahead and add a couple of extra $k to that price.

Somehow, I missed something??? Can you explain that to me....

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 12:46 PM
How about a story. When I bought my 84 Grand Wagoneer, it wasn't for sale. I talked the guy into selling it to me because it was in really good condition. I could've gotten one in similar condition for less. Talking someone into selling something is not about the words used. Rather, it's all about the green.

I know you're not trying to talk Steve into selling that boat. He brought it up. But if I were a betting man, I'd say that boat won't be for sale come summer.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 12:47 PM
How about a story. When I bought my 84 Grand Wagoneer, it wasn't for sale. I talked the guy into selling it to me because it was in really good condition. I could've gotten one in similar condition for less. Talking someone into selling something is not about the words used. Rather, it's all about the green.

I know you're not trying to talk Steve into selling that boat. He brought it up. But if I were a betting man, I'd say that boat won't be for sale come summer.

:D Got it!!!!

bcampbe7
05-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Somehow, I missed something??? Can you explain that to me....

I highly doubt Stevo is going to sell his boat. Doug's method may be the only way it would happen.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Everybody has there price. For lets say, 18K I think Steveo might be having some thoughts.

MarkP
05-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Now that Doug is done splaining I have just one thing to say

I SAW IT FIRST:woohoo:

This thread cracks me up more every time I read it..:uglyhamme

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Its yours, I tend to like the blue better.

Sorry Steveo

bcampbe7
05-04-2005, 01:03 PM
I wish you guys could see Stevo's boat in person. I have said it before, but it is nnnnniiiiiiiiiiiccccccceeeeeeee.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 01:04 PM
got any pics?

MarkP
05-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Oh I can tell its nice.:worthy: . I'm sure from photos its hard to tell just how nice

bcampbe7
05-04-2005, 01:08 PM
got any pics?

Not me... Stevo has some. He has posted a few on this site.
I know the previous owner.

wakesport
05-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Eric,

I can tell you just can't wait to get that boat. I know just how you feel. It was a great day when I first got my boat. If you can afford it you should get it.

If you just can't wait to go skiing. We have a business here in Madison to pull people. We've been out for the last month. Although it has been a bit cold the last two weeks. It's supposed to be 80į on Sunday.

Leroy
05-04-2005, 01:23 PM
I agree with Steve, you really need to be ready for significant costs with a boat. You cannot imagine until you own one and then you appreciate, but laugh a little at people willing to pay $20 GAS. I used to be a $20 for gas guy, now I see the light!

Trailer Tags $30/yr
Insurance $350/yr
Slip $2100/yr
I winterize and de-winterize saving ~$300
DIY winterization and de-winterization $100
New toys every year $200 average.
Gas 50 hours at 3 gallons/hr $300/yr
Misc repairs $100/yr
Unexpected trips to the shop $500! None yet, but you never know when.

If you have slip or storage, and for me around $3.5k/yr, if not around $1-$1.5k/yr. If $200/month payment then add another $2400/year.

But in the end for 50 hours of ectasy and 20-30 times on the lake with friends and family, well worth it if you can afford it. I waited until almost 40 to have my own boat, wish I could have bought one at 20!

Everything with the boat can be solved with money and time. Sometimes you can trade one for the other ;)

bcampbe7
05-04-2005, 01:28 PM
I agree with Steve, you really need to be ready for significant costs with a boat. You cannot imagine until you own one and then you appreciate, but laugh a little at people willing to pay $20 GAS. I used to be a $20 for gas guy, now I see the light!

Trailer Tags $30/yr
Insurance $350/yr
Slip $2100/yr
I winterize and de-winterize saving ~$300
DIY winterization and de-winterization $100
New toys every year $200 average.
Gas 50 hours at 3 gallons/hr $300/yr
Misc repairs $100/yr
Unexpected trips to the shop $500! None yet, but you never know when.

If you have slip or storage, and for me around $3.5k/yr, if not around $1-$1.5k/yr. If $200/month payment then add another $2400/year.

But in the end for 50 hours of ectasy and 20-30 times on the lake with friends and family, well worth it if you can afford it. I waited until almost 40 to have my own boat, wish I could have bought one at 20!

Everything with the boat can be solved with money and time. Sometimes you can trade one for the other ;)

I wish you hadn't posted that, or that I hadn't read it... I try not to think of how much it costs. :eek:

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 01:53 PM
That looks very similar to my snowmobile costs spread sheet. Every other weekend we would go, I would easily drop 400-600 dollars. Although, that is only 4 months out of the year.

Leroy
05-04-2005, 02:00 PM
OK, you are ready for boat ownership! Keep the snowmobiles and you have year around expenses!

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 02:06 PM
No, I am getting rid of the snowmobiles (temporairily) and using that money for the boat.

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Just to balance things out, I like the red S&Ss. I've seen some close up pictures of George's old boat. Probably as close to flawless as I've seen on a 10+ year old boat. Not to mention that he had a show prop and show platform (just in case anybody thought they were really dedicated). My hat's off to you George.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Its not that I don't like the red one, but I think the blue is more to my liking! Maybe it is because there isn't a red one available in the area.

stevo137
05-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Okay, is there something you know about that boat that you aren't telling me? And to answer some of your questions:

Storage will be at our resort in Wisconsin during winter, and wherever I am at in the summer. We have 3 garages up there, so I will find a spot for it.

I will use it on the fox river, and chain, along with lakes in Southern WI which is only about an 60-90 minutes away. Also, we do have a lake cabin in WI>

It will be towed by my Durango.

Eric, It looks like you have it covered!
We are just being forthcoming with all the realities of owning.
I'm sure you can tell by now how crazy we are about our MC's.
I figure by now if you still want it, you REALLY want it.
As I mentioned before, spend a lot of time in that boat before you buy it, check out everything that was mentioned and you should have no problems. I drove to Tenn. to get mine and have no regrets.
It is mint and needs a bit of interior work.
I had the entire boat professionally buffed off trailer and replaced the rub rail. It's hard to describe how it shines on the water in the sun unless you see it!
It screams and handles like it's on a rail.
Don't worry about those hours as long as it has a good maint. history.
Mine has about 670 hrs and runs very strong.
Now, you better get moving and get that boat before it's gone! ;)

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 03:36 PM
Whatever Eric or Mark offers you, I'll double it! ;) ;) ;)

stevo137
05-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Its not that I don't like the red one, but I think the blue is more to my liking! Maybe it is because there isn't a red one available in the area.

There is a guy named Adam that lives out in your area that has a mint blue 93 S&S that has won a few best in shows at the reunions.
It's all just a matter of personal choice.

stevo137
05-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Whatever Eric or Mark offers you, I'll double it! ;) ;) ;)

LOL Doug! We all know how crazy you are about your boat!
That 205 is a hard find too.

BrianM
05-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Just saw this really clean looking '89 on ebay with 709 hrs. Price is at $7,100 now but still lots of time to go. I'm also partial to the color.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4547445094&category=63686

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Just saw this really clean looking '89 on ebay with 709 hrs. Price is at $7,100 now but still lots of time to go. I'm also partial to the color.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4547445094&category=63686

I saw that one also. As of right now, I want the 1993 S&S, and as long as it is available in a couple weeks I will likely buy it.

5 days until the auction end on the snowmobile.

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Any bids yet?

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 07:03 PM
I have 8 watchers on the one that ends tomorrow, so lets hope they are just holding out until the end.

The other one just got listed, so not yet! But I did have a possible offer from another site.