PDA

View Full Version : 225 Hours and my 3rd MCX Engine!?!

RkyMtnSkier
09-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Ok, need a little input. I've learned lots from all the threads, and here's my first post. Just looking for some input.

I've got an '04 Maristar 230 with the MCX engine. I use the boat for non-buoy slalom skiing and family fun. I am just under 225 hours and looking at putting in my THIRD, yes third engine in this boat. (Thank God MC stands behind their stuff!)

My normal usage is the early morning ski before work, maybe 45 mins of run time a couple times a week. I keep an eye on the oil and don't see much burning on a daily basis. When I go for a weekend or longer trip, I really notice the problem.

I replaced the first engine at about 114 hours. When we replaced the first engine, I discovered on a weeklong ski trip that I was burning massive amounts of oil (4 quarts in about 40 hours). We were doing lots of skiing, boarding and cruising. When we discovered the problem I was told by the dealer that there had been a problem with this engine and proper seating of the rings. We first tried a "fix", and when I continued to burn oil, MC replaced the engine without any problems.

Well, here I am again. Just over 100 hours later and I am burning lots of oil. I was at Lake Powell for 5 days and burned 4 quarts again in under 40 hours. Hadn't had much run time since then, but over Labor Day, 10 hours and another quart of oil. Fortunately MC is standing behind the engine again, and I cannot even think about complaining.

Anyone else out there seen something similar?????

Thanks!

djhuff
09-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Nope, both of my MCX engines (2 boats) haven't burned a drop that I can tell. Every time I check the dipstick, it's right where I left it. Even during break in it didn't burn enough for me to have to add any.

ShamrockIV
09-03-2008, 08:03 AM
something seems really wrong. same symptoms on 2 replacement engines?????

Age Fighter
09-03-2008, 08:10 AM
something seems really wrong. same symptoms on 2 replacement engines?????

I would agree with that....you need "the rest of the story...."

I am about 75 hours into my MCX, which is an 03 with now almost 400 hours. Oil is exactly where it was the day I took delivery.

D3skier
09-03-2008, 08:19 AM
sorry to hear about all your problems with a hungry engine but that's good to hear that MC is standing behind you on this ongoing issue

6ballsisall
09-03-2008, 08:29 AM
This sounds really out of the norm. Something doesn't seem right about this at all

TMCNo1
09-03-2008, 08:40 AM
I would guess your following the break-in period per the owners manual, right?

We really need all the story!

ski_king
09-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Just wondering if altitude has anything to do with this.

Maristar210
09-03-2008, 09:08 AM
I would guess your following the break-in period per the owners manual, right?

We really need all the story!

I was thinking the same exact thing. Has to be break in related.

Are you letting the motor idle for ten hours instead of up and down the RPM range to 2000-2500 RPM?

Are you just saying screw it and go out and use it?

Is this issue altitude related?

I hate to speculate so we'll let JimN decide.

JimN
09-03-2008, 09:15 AM
I can't do more than speculate, either but it sounds like break-in/early use related. I have never heard of one motor doing this and for one person to have the same thing happen twice is really odd.

Is the prop original? Has it hit the rev limiter or been run at WOT before break-in is complete? Was the oil changed to synthetic before break-in?

There's really no information to go by here.

Hollywood
09-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Do you let the engine warm up before skiing behind the boat on those early morning runs?

BIGBADBLUE
09-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Will not following the break-in procedure really cause this type of oil burning? Sounds really excessive.

For my knowledge - What exactly does the break-in procedure do? I followed it way back in '94 but I did it because I was told to do it and had no idea what it did. :)

ShamrockIV
09-03-2008, 09:43 AM
I did it because I was told to do it and had no idea what it did. :)

story of my life blue!!

JimN
09-03-2008, 10:00 AM
The rings need to mate with the cylinder walls in order to seat properly.

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

BIGBADBLUE
09-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks Jim. After reading the article it really makes sense. The diagram really explains it. Very cool.

TMCNo1
09-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Just for the giggles of it, go to "Knowledge Center, "Owners Manual', 2004 MasterCrafts, pages 10-1 and 11-1, here, http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/2004_MasterCraft_Owners_Manual.pdf

JimN
09-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Ya coulda just copied and pasted the pages- it would take a lot less time.

Assuming it says not to worry too much about break-in since the download keeps stopping, as long as hte RPM is varied and not much time is spent at WOT, it should break in OK as long as regular oil is used. If the motor runs hot and the oil glazes, the rings won't seat properly and oil consumption will be a problem.

Either way, it's the first time I have heard of anyone having the same problem with two motors, after about the same amount of time.

Is the oil cooler clear, good impeller, never over-revved, prop doesn't cavitate, etc?

ski_king
09-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Is the oil cooler clear, good impeller, never over-revved, prop doesn't cavitate, etc?

I wonder if it has been or needs to be re-proped for the higher altitude? May be over reving?

TX.X-30 fan
09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
I wonder if it has been or needs to be re-proped for the higher altitude? May be over reving?

Would you not see that on the tach and feel it in your seat and know something is wrong??

endl
09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
I had my oil changed at about 200 hours and it has burned 3 quarts in about 50 hours.......Is this excessive also? I was told by the dealer that these engines burned some oil and just have tried to watch it. What is accecptable?

I am the second owner and have no idea if my breakin was done correctly.

TX.X-30 fan
09-03-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm with the others here 250hrs. and no oil use ever, runs better now than when it was new. Exact same boat.

GASouthernMC
09-03-2008, 11:14 AM
From what I understand, the GM LS series engines are extremely finicky about break-in. A company I used to work for had a couple of their surveying trucks that were driven by idiots when they were brand new. Now at about 40,000 miles they drink oil. Don't know exactly how that relates to the engines Indmar gets, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

JimN
09-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Endl- call MC- "Yeah, they do that" is not an accepible answer to the question of "Is my motor supposed to burn this much oil?". Ask them how much it should consume.

JimN
09-03-2008, 11:21 AM
RkyMtnSkier- any other info that you can share about this? Did MC say what happened to the first motor? Did they give you any advise on break-in? Ask any questions about how it happened?

RkyMtnSkier
09-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Wow! I knew that I'd get a response. Thanks to all. JimN - thanks for the link about break in.

I'll try to answer most of the questions, I tried not to drivel on in the first post.

First engine, not sure about break in. I bought the boat new, it had been demo'd and I think about 10 hours when I took it home. I never heard anything from the dealer,MC or Indmar about that first engine. I guess it died a slow death on a test bench.

Second engine - yes, I'm a goon and took the owners manual to the lake and followed the break-in procedures to the letter, just as they are described (even my dealer doesn't believe me on this one - told me I am probably his only owner to follow the book vs. run it like hell). Used the oil, etc in the engine as installed by the dealer. Haven't done any mods to the engine, prop, etc as received from dealer at purchase. I think the prop is ok (I know it was not stock) as WOT is about 51-5200 RPM which I believe is correct per the manual.

I try to take excellent care of the boat (hell I built a 1700 s.f garage to store the darned thing), oil change, new impeller...every season done by the dealer. I do get the boat to warm up, even before the morning ski in that my wife drives the truck, I drive the boat and let it warm up at idle while she parks the rig and walks to the water.

One anomaly in the mix is oil pressure. In watching everything I can think of, I notice that owner's manual states oil pressure should be 40psi @ 2000RPM. If I get my boat on plane so that the engine load is reduced, at 2000 RPM I vary between 60psi and a 'buried' needle at 80+psi.

Did I ramble enough? I've tried to answer those that I can think of while avoiding the "man" at work. Thanks again to everyone - look forward to more dialog.

TMCNo1
09-03-2008, 02:41 PM
It's that cheap foreign oil and global warming!:rolleyes::D

6ballsisall
09-03-2008, 02:44 PM
It's that cheap foreign oil and global warming!:rolleyes::D

Not to worry, Obama is going to fix all that. Plus he'll make sure the government shells out a new motor in this case.

RkyMtnSkier
09-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Now now - the Messiah will save us all!eek3:

Age Fighter
09-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Not to worry, Obama is going to fix all that. Plus he'll make sure the government shells out a new motor in this case.

Maybe you should inflate your tires and get a tune up....that should solve it. :D:D

Hollywood
09-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Was the second replacement a crate engine, short or long block? I don't know exactly how the first one died so not sure what could be reused on the second.

KHall
09-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Are you sure the motor was really replaced.

6ballsisall
09-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Maybe you should inflate your tires and get a tune up....that should solve it. :D:D

Oh no, I'm going to wait for Obama to take care of that for me too. You see, when he wins, we wont have to do anything, our government will take care of us.

coz
09-03-2008, 04:58 PM
even before the morning ski in that my wife drives the truck, I drive the boat and let it warm up at idle while she parks the rig and walks to the water.

Taught her well I see :D Man! my wife would take out every truck & trailer on the way to the parking spot :eek3: that's why she gave me 2 boys :D

Good luck with everything :)

EricB
09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I have a freind that I ski with who has a 07 197 w/MCX and less than 100 hrs on it. Oil was supposedly changed at the end of last season (at 30 hrs). This July the engine throttled down on us when we were skiing. Alarm went off and it turned out to be the Oil Change reminder, which apparently was not reset. We checked engine oil and it was down 3 qts. Oil pressure was normal.
I'll be watching this thread to see what happens.....

RkyMtnSkier
09-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Taught her well I see :D Man! my wife would take out every truck & trailer on the way to the parking spot :eek3: that's why she gave me 2 boys :D

Good luck with everything :)

Hell when I married her she could back a boat/trailer better than I could. She's so good, she doesn't even look over her shoulder. I'm spoiled!

coz
09-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Hell when I married her she could back a boat/trailer better than I could. She's so good, she doesn't even look over her shoulder. I'm spoiled!

Does she have a sister? :D

JimN
09-03-2008, 06:25 PM
"Does she have a sister?"

Down, Simba!

coz
09-03-2008, 06:32 PM
"Does she have a sister?"

Down, Simba!

Don't worry Jim, I've been married for 20 years and my wife won't let me have a girlfriend :D

JimN
09-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Not many women let their husbands have a girlfriend, but that doesn't seem to stop them, does it?

coz
09-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Not many women let their husbands have a girlfriend, but that doesn't seem to stop them, does it?

What stops me is my kids, toys and investments, I don't wanna split anything :D

RkyMtnSkier
09-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Coz-

She's got a sister, can drive a truck and/or boat. Even if she weren't married I'd steer you away cuz she'd break your wallet and spend those investments!:D

coz
09-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Coz-

She's got a sister, can drive a truck and/or boat. Even if she weren't married I'd steer you away cuz she'd break your wallet and spend those investments!:D

Thanks, nice to see one TT'er looking out for the other :banana: back to subject :popcorn:

TMCNo1
09-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Coz-

Both women and boats are high maintenance, cause ya have to wax the bottom of them both!:rolleyes::D:uglyhamme

coz
09-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Both women and boats are high maintenance, cause ya have to wax the bottom of them both!

And the older they get the more ya gotta use :D

Post Disclaimer: Just fun'n please don't take offence TT ladies :o

RkyMtnSkier
09-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Both women and boats are high maintenance, cause ya have to wax the bottom of them both!:rolleyes::D:uglyhamme
Wax!? Damn, no wonder I have so many problems - with both!:cool:

Jim
09-27-2008, 11:02 PM
I had my oil changed at about 200 hours and it has burned 3 quarts in about 50 hours.......Is this excessive also? I was told by the dealer that these engines burned some oil and just have tried to watch it. What is accecptable?

I am the second owner and have no idea if my breakin was done correctly.
I have an 04 X10 with the MCX. I go through a quart about every 30 hrs. Usually cruise lake mead at 3300-3500 rpm for extended periods and also do quite a bit recreational boarding. I have noticed that when we really load the boat with weight ( ballast or extra people ) consumption increases. Dealer told me this was normal consumption and that these motors will burn some oil.
I just keep a spare quart of 15-40 on board and keep an eye on it about every 5 hours.

RkyMtnSkier
09-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey All been really busy- Here's the latest.

Been too busy to get the boat out much. :( Took it out last week for an evening ski. Put one hour on the hourmeter and dropped between two of the holes on the dipstick. My wife and I skied one run apiece and we cruised round our lake to put some time on it.

Talked to the dealer and Indmar/MC will be buying me another engine. Trying to get it in asap so I can go thru the break in procedure again. It really sucks going out on the water and having to putz around during the break-in period. Hoping to get the break-in completed before winterization so I can hit spring time ready to roll. Nothing like being in your boat and not being able to play.

JohnE
09-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Given your circumstances, you'll probably be extra cautious. But when I got my new '08 the dealer put an hour or so on it for me. I was talking to him after my initial use and he told me to just run it. As far as he's concerned it's broken in. So I wouldn't sweat the break in period. I was very easy on it for the first 10 hours, nonetheless.

TX.X-30 fan
09-30-2008, 07:31 PM
This is engine #4 now????????????????????????????????????????????

Jerseydave
09-30-2008, 07:33 PM
I would suggest that you do an oil analysis on this one's oil. Could be moisture in the oil (or water) from bad exhaust manifolds and/or risers that you keep re-using? Ususally this is apparent if the oil is "milky".

There must be some common denomenator with all this. What kind of oil and oil filter is the dealer or you using? Are you sure the oil is burning away, or is it leaking, possibly from an oil line or cooler? Did they perform a leakdown test to get a good indication of the condition of the rings? Obviously tearing the motor apart should find the real problem.