PDA

View Full Version : factors for right rope length

kgrove
09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
What are some of the factors that go into the right rope length for wakeboarding? For me, I just attach the rope and go and really don't care what length it is - I'll figure it out and have fun regardless. I have a lot of different people that come with me at different times - some intermediates, some beginners, some skinny, some... well... not skinny, some kids, some "generationally challenged", etc. I don't know enough about wakeboarding to know how or why I would adjust the rope to adapt to each rider. I'm obviously more concerned about the beginners be they young, old, skinny, fat, whatever as the experienced boarders usually tell me what they want (or they just keep their yap shut and have fun with what they have). I'm sure there is some personal preference involved as well, but are there general rules of thumb I should use to best match the rope length to the skill level, physical size, riding style, etc of other riders?

flipper
09-02-2008, 05:57 PM
I think it's pretty much personal preference. That, and it's going to vary boat to boat because of how the wake is where.

vision
09-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Wake width (say X-1 versus X-star), speed of the pull, and skill of the rider are the main three factors.

In general, slower boat speed for less skilled riders which equates to a shorter rope length to help keep the rider at point that the wake is not excessively wide and has a good shape.

The exception would be learning new tricks. We often ride a long (75 - 80 ft) rope at slower speeds when we are trying new tricks over only one wake, then speed up and shorten the rope to take the trick wake to wake.

dsoby
09-02-2008, 08:22 PM
One general rule of thumb- For any given condition(boat speed and weight), let the rope out so that the handle is just ahead of where the wake curls and you are getting white water.