PDA

View Full Version : In case you've been wondering...

uawaterskier
09-02-2008, 01:15 AM
where I have been. Heres a brief run down. I started out this summer back at home and took some classes at a college here in Huntsville. I did very well in most of those classes and really enjoyed the professors. However my grades from Alabama didn't reflect the amount of work I was putting into it. Now I do enjoy having a good time, but I worked pretty hard during the week. So I got tested to see if I had any type of learning disablities. Well come to find out I have dyslexia. At 20 years of age, its pretty late in life to be finding out why school has been a struggle. I didn't really have to much trouble in high school because I guess I wasn't reading as much. So anyway I've been dealing with that, and now am back home going to the local college instead of Alabama. I miss it at times, but I know that I will do much better here.

So I know the next question is "Am I skiing?" Well, no, not for Alabama. I am however still skiing, and should be coaching a local highschooler who has decided to pick up the slalom ski when everyone around him is wakeboarding. (His dad has a sweet x30). So I'm pretty stoked about that. But about a month ago I went OTF of the trick ski and got a really weird pull on my right wrist. Doc said I couldn't ski for a whole month. So I was pretty bummed because I fell learning a new trick that I almost had. Wake 540 back to front. But the good news is this weekend was the first weekend I was cleared to ski on it. So not only did I get to ski, but I also landed my first wake 540 for credit. Needless to say I was stoked. I also started work on my front flip. It was really sketchy, but hey I only attempted it twice.

I also bought a motorcycle which I have found out that it is something else I enjoy. It was a pretty random purchase mainly because I figured my mom would never let me own on. Well take that back, she doesn't let me own, but when you show up at the house from driving over to Atlanta back all day at midnight with a motorcycle in the bed of the truck and sneak it into the garage, she doesn't have much choice. So that caused some problems, but she eventually got over it because I was going to have to sell my truck. So 60 MPG is a lot better than 10.5 MPG.

Oh and finally before I forget. I had a really long talk with my long term girlfriend this weekend and we kinda started talking about a perment "us" here in the next year or so. So I'm beyond stoked about that. I love the girl to death and I'm excited that what I thought in my head and what she thought in hers were very similar. But this is all by ear now and I'm not planning on asking her anytime real soon.

So I guess that catches yall up with where I've been. Now catch me up with what all yall have been doing.

Justin

tex
09-02-2008, 09:57 AM
where I have been. Heres a brief run down. I started out this summer back at home and took some classes at a college here in Huntsville. I did very well in most of those classes and really enjoyed the professors. However my grades from Alabama didn't reflect the amount of work I was putting into it. Now I do enjoy having a good time, but I worked pretty hard during the week. So I got tested to see if I had any type of learning disablities. Well come to find out I have dyslexia. At 20 years of age, its pretty late in life to be finding out why school has been a struggle. I didn't really have to much trouble in high school because I guess I wasn't reading as much. So anyway I've been dealing with that, and now am back home going to the local college instead of Alabama. I miss it at times, but I know that I will do much better here.

So I know the next question is "Am I skiing?" Well, no, not for Alabama. I am however still skiing, and should be coaching a local highschooler who has decided to pick up the slalom ski when everyone around him is wakeboarding. (His dad has a sweet x30). So I'm pretty stoked about that. But about a month ago I went OTF of the trick ski and got a really weird pull on my right wrist. Doc said I couldn't ski for a whole month. So I was pretty bummed because I fell learning a new trick that I almost had. Wake 540 back to front. But the good news is this weekend was the first weekend I was cleared to ski on it. So not only did I get to ski, but I also landed my first wake 540 for credit. Needless to say I was stoked. I also started work on my front flip. It was really sketchy, but hey I only attempted it twice.

I also bought a motorcycle which I have found out that it is something else I enjoy. It was a pretty random purchase mainly because I figured my mom would never let me own on. Well take that back, she doesn't let me own, but when you show up at the house from driving over to Atlanta back all day at midnight with a motorcycle in the bed of the truck and sneak it into the garage, she doesn't have much choice. So that caused some problems, but she eventually got over it because I was going to have to sell my truck. So 60 MPG is a lot better than 10.5 MPG.

Oh and finally before I forget. I had a really long talk with my long term girlfriend this weekend and we kinda started talking about a perment "us" here in the next year or so. So I'm beyond stoked about that. I love the girl to death and I'm excited that what I thought in my head and what she thought in hers were very similar. But this is all by ear now and I'm not planning on asking her anytime real soon.

So I guess that catches yall up with where I've been. Now catch me up with what all yall have been doing.

Justin

Justin-Glad you got tested and figured it out...You should start learning to back barefoot-the dyslexia should make it easier...all kidding aside.....smart move to get tested and good luck!

uawaterskier
09-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Justin-Glad you got tested and figured it out...You should start learning to back barefoot-the dyslexia should make it easier...all kidding aside.....smart move to get tested and good luck!
thanks tex. Just kind of hard now considering I'm about 2-3 years from finishing up to have to be trying to learn what does and doesn't work for me. Thats kind of the only disadvantage. I'm sure I'll get it figured out.

ShamrockIV
09-02-2008, 11:06 AM
good to hear from you ua!!

sounds like you are on top of things!!!

keep it up and you will be fine!!

besides man i am 35 and back in college. who says you need a degree to be happy!!

chudson
09-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Justin,
Your in school and dealing with the dyslexia. Your skiing is improving and now your gonna be instructing. Never been a mortotcycle person but be sure and wear a helmet!!! And congratulations with the girlfriend. Sounds like alot of positive moves on your part, keep it up!!!...........Cec

uawaterskier
09-02-2008, 04:57 PM
good to hear from you ua!!

sounds like you are on top of things!!!

keep it up and you will be fine!!

besides man i am 35 and back in college. who says you need a degree to be happy!!
well MC's arent going to pay for themselves...

uawaterskier
09-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Justin,
Your in school and dealing with the dyslexia. Your skiing is improving and now your gonna be instructing. Never been a mortotcycle person but be sure and wear a helmet!!! And congratulations with the girlfriend. Sounds like alot of positive moves on your part, keep it up!!!...........Cec
chudson,

I agree. Things are really looking up for me. Which is nice because most of the time it feels like I cant catch a break.

aremsing
09-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Hey man, congrats on all the good news. If it helps at all I too was diagnosed with dyslexia at 21. It made sense why I struggled in college so much, but with some extra effort and a smaller school you will be fine. Smart choice on going home to a smaller school.
Good luck!

trickskier
09-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Justin, from one trickskier to another best of luck to you my friend!!!

I certainly hope everything works out for you!!!

Rick

uawaterskier
09-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Hey man, congrats on all the good news. If it helps at all I too was diagnosed with dyslexia at 21. It made sense why I struggled in college so much, but with some extra effort and a smaller school you will be fine. Smart choice on going home to a smaller school.
Good luck!
thanks man! It does explain a lot of things. Its just ashame that I tried struggling through it and dragging my grades down in the process.

uawaterskier
09-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Justin, from one trickskier to another best of luck to you my friend!!!

I certainly hope everything works out for you!!!

Rick
thanks tricky!