PDA

View Full Version : 84 stars and strips won't keep running

dadrealtor
09-01-2008, 04:20 PM
My 84 power slot 351 PCM, runs fine until it's good and hot and then starts running rough at idle. Once it dies, it won't re start. It seems to be getting fuel and spark. It's been converted to electronic ignition and I had the carb re built. Please help

dadrealtor
09-01-2008, 04:22 PM
mastercraft

ShamrockIV
09-01-2008, 06:24 PM
i am sure a engine guy will be along soon!!

hey post some pics. i had a 84 S&S and i am trying to find it!!

Slinkyredfoot
09-01-2008, 07:09 PM
I have no idea if this idea is correct or not but it has worked for me.

My 79 351 has experienced the same problemas of late, although my will restart, never had a problem before this weekend.

A good friend of mine is pretty good with engines and he seems to think in my case it is vapor lock...although my engine runs at about 170F, according to my friend there is not a lot of air cirulating under the the engine cover in our hot and humid weather at idle speed...the ambient air under the hood is hot, fuel line warms up and starves for fuel, only happens when I am at idle for a time, never happens when moving faster. My fuel filter is also new. Like you, I have converted my old pointed ignition syestem and never had a problem before so...... Could there be a corelation?? hell I don't know

So occasionly when idling for a period, I run the blower or even better open the engine hatch and I have had not a problem since.

Not saying this is your problem, however it seemed to be mine....;)

Also, this weekend my cirulating pump crashed, got to get a new one this week

Bellinghamster
09-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Sounds like maybe fuel boiling in the carb float bowls causing the floats to sink and the bowls to overflow. I had the same problem with mine - it ran great until I shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes while hot. It wouldn't want to restart, or if it did, certainly wouldn't idle. Pull your flame arrestor off the carb when it's acting up and look down inside the carb body. You shoudn't see any fuel bubbling or flowing (mine was flowing even when not cranking or running) An easy fix may to to add thick carb-manifold gaskets to help insulate the carb from the manifold. I ended up partially blocking off the exhaust crossover ports in the intake manifold gaskets to reduce the heat of the manifold and haven't had a problem since.