PDA

View Full Version : 79 S&S broken muffler??

michaelh_26
09-01-2008, 02:46 AM
hey everyone, last time i took my boat out, 79 SS 351w, it seemed like something was restricting flow out of my right hand exhaust. when i look in it with a flashlight from the rear of the boat i can see some kind of baffleing that has broken into a couple of pieces and is clogging the muffler or outlet almost completely. My question is how do i remove the muffler to remove whats broken and what is it thats broken?? This type of restriction would cause problems right, boat ran kinda crappy. Any help would be great, thanks.

ricky
09-01-2008, 04:11 AM
maybe my info will help you. you will have to remove the motor cover.the hinges are screwed into the center of floor.and you should be able to remove that board that the hinges are on.and that goes under the back seat.you will see the muffler it is easy to remove . couple of hose clamps. overtons has them, < i think> the 3 inch hose probly needs replaceing too. I just redid the hole set up on a 83 ss. the ones at overtons are shorter so u make up the difference with 3 inch bellois hose . in FL its 15 dollars a foot. good luck.

michaelh_26
09-01-2008, 02:15 PM
hey, the floor board only comes up in the center and doesnt access the two mufflers, they are on either side of this compartment, the panels over the mufflers seem to be fiberglass and doent move, an i just remove the clamps at the manifold and outlet and slide the muffler out??? thanks

michaelh_26
09-01-2008, 04:25 PM
i ended up pulling muffler out from the rear of the boat and it was all busted up inside, guess i need a new one. bummer.

Cloaked
09-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Not bad for a 79 to last this long. I had a 79 model (new) in 1979 and had an exhaust hose to go bad. Replacement wasn't too bad but the route of the exhaust on the outside of the stringers can be a pain. However, the wider exhaust ports on the 79 allowed me to barefoot right off of the platform (one step back) on cool water. Now days, the inside route (on an 85 that I have) has the hot water coming out right on my feet.

TMCNo1
09-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Replacements can also be found here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1025

michaelh_26
09-01-2008, 06:26 PM
thanks for the help and thread to skidim, ill get new ones asap, i suppose i should replace the other muffler well im at it, it is almost 30 years old, hoses look great though.

Bellinghamster
09-01-2008, 08:24 PM
I made the 'hatch' wider when I made the new floor so I could get to the mufflers.
If you're handy with fiberglass, it shouldn't be difficult to repair. The muffler is made of several section of fiberglass tubing with baffles glassed inside. The tubing sections are glassed together and the baffles are located in the joints. You can cut at the joint, re-attach the baffle, then glass the sections back together... or just buy a new one and bypass the itching, stickiness and hassle.

Cloaked
09-01-2008, 08:53 PM
I made the 'hatch' wider when I made the new floor so I could get to the mufflers.
If you're handy with fiberglass, it shouldn't be difficult to repair. The muffler is made of several section of fiberglass tubing with baffles glassed inside. The tubing sections are glassed together and the baffles are located in the joints. You can cut at the joint, re-attach the baffle, then glass the sections back together... or just buy a new one and bypass the itching, stickiness and hassle.

Most excellent.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=39743&stc=1&d=1220311462

michaelh_26
09-01-2008, 09:40 PM
thanks for the tip, i might try the repair and save the money for gas. great pic wish mine looked that pretty. thanks again.