PDA

View Full Version : Jump Seat Base

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Okay, since MC isn't making the jump seat for the early 90s 205s anymore, I thought I'd get creative. I ordered replacement skins for one and figured I'd work on the base myself. It was curved to match the contour of the observer seat (unlike the ones for the later 205s). So I have two questions.

1. Does anyone have the precise dimensions for the early 90s 205 jump seat base?

2. Short of getting a plastic base made with the curve, what are your ideas for getting this to work from a homemade standpoint?

My first thought was to do quadrangular (is that a word) base out of wood and use stacked styrofoam for the small curve (sort of like the back seat). I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Oh, and if anyone has the seat and wants to sell it, pm me.

MarkP
04-29-2005, 08:56 PM
I read that like three times. Not sure I get it..

Jump seat=the seat in the walkthrough, Is that right??

I didnít know that they ever made them. Anyway, I think you could make one out of that plastic stuff that they make cutting boards out of. Do you remember at the beginning of the ďdriveway draggerĒ thread on the old board someone had an Idea to use that stuff instead of wheels??

Am I on the same page as you?? Is that the seat you are talking about??

BriEOD
04-29-2005, 09:03 PM
I remember that discussion.

Mag_Red
04-29-2005, 09:20 PM
I remember that discussion.
I don't...want to refresh my memory??

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 11:11 PM
I've got better pictures of one, but this is the one from the 93 brochure. It's blown up a bit, so it's blurry. I'll have better pictures in a couple of days.

MarkP
04-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Son of a Ö. Thatís cool as hell. I could have seen one in my brochure.

How dose that cutting board Idea sound. I forget what that ďplasticĒ was called but Iíll bet I can find it. Wish you would have told me to buy one of those skins..

Leroy
04-29-2005, 11:28 PM
Doug; I think you need to add a built in infant seat in that design :)

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 11:31 PM
I just bought them two weeks ago from Lex @ rambo. Go get some for yourself. When I post those other pictures you'll get a better idea of what it looks like from the side. I've got that Nautique jump seat, but it's a little low and I want it to conform to what's in there. I'll probably give it to my father-in-law if I can make this one work.

Depending on how well that stuff can be cut, it might work well. Maybe I could just make a mold and dump a bunch of bondo in it.

The other thought is to just contout the seat base (wood under the foam) and have a normal base underneath it that doesn't conform. But what fun would that be.

MarkP
04-29-2005, 11:53 PM
Doug

Do you remember the name of the drag wheel thread on the old site??

This is the first one I found. I donít get the pricing . http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=12077&Page=1

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 12:03 AM
It was "Driveway Dragger." I already searched. I hope you have better luck than I did. Off to check out the link you posted.

/edit. I can't open that link. Just keeps searching, but not opening.

MarkP
04-30-2005, 12:15 AM
I think if you google HDPE it might put you on the right track. I donít remember it being that expensive. I donít remember what I was looking at, at the time though. I wonder what the name of the plastic that is under our seats is called???

I may have a chance to look around a little tomorrow. Sounds like a worthwhile project..

AirJunky
04-30-2005, 01:13 AM
I made a jump seat (http://airjunky.com/temp/dual_mirrors.jpg) out of that plastic fencing lumber & then took it to an upholstery shop to have it padded & covered.....cost was about $50. It doesn't match my interior stripes perfectly but then I'm not one to keep my boat stock like the factory intended. We use the bow & I figured that jumping up & over the jump seat would be a pain. So the seat I made is simply the base, a place for someone to sit.

erkoehler
04-30-2005, 01:15 AM
Seems to have turned out pretty nice! Especially for $50!

east tx skier
04-30-2005, 01:23 AM
Looks good. I was thinking of doing a longer base so I could have a carpeted step on the bow side of things. But then again, I want it to come out easily as the ski locker is in the walk through (not that that gets used all that often).

If anyone has the exact dimensions of the stock seat, lay 'em on my. I could probably figure it out with the skins. I was glad to see they put a little gray accent color in it for me after all of the talk about not doing that anymore.

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Back to the top you go. Doesn't anyone have these dimensions? Did anyone ever get this option back then?

Ric
05-02-2005, 05:15 PM
I think if you google HDPE it might put you on the right track. I donít remember it being that expensive. I donít remember what I was looking at, at the time though. I wonder what the name of the plastic that is under our seats is called???

I may have a chance to look around a little tomorrow. Sounds like a worthwhile project..

that black plastic in our boats is called starboard (I think)
Doug, Boedecker in Shiner will ups your plastic to you.
Delrin, or HDPE might work for a frame if they don't stock that starboard stuff

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Excellent. I've got a GIS to do.

Now I just need some OEM dimensions so I don't have to measure twice and cut 10 times.

MarkP
05-02-2005, 05:32 PM
GIS, Hmmmm:confused: ?

Gap In Seat??

Girl In Seat???

Gator Introducing Self ????

I Give Up

Ric
05-02-2005, 05:33 PM
gaggle of _____

no that doesnt work either

east tx skier
05-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Google
Internet
Search

/sorry, my fingers got lazy.

EFiles
05-02-2005, 05:51 PM
that black plastic in our boats is called starboard (I think)
Doug, Boedecker in Shiner will ups your plastic to you.
Delrin, or HDPE might work for a frame if they don't stock that starboard stuff

I searched the web for starboard and came up with King Plastics Corp which makes Starboard (kingstarboard.com). They list a site called MariSafe.com where it can be purchased. I took a quick look and they listed several sizes, thicknesses, and colors. I've been looking for an alternative to the plywood that my seat bases are made of. I might give this stuff a try.

Leroy
05-02-2005, 06:28 PM
I know the stuff you are talking about, we ended up with some when we built our last house and they made several cutting boards from it. White, pretty hard, but you can still cut it and shape it pretty easily. I can't remember the name.

Think it is the same stuff that is used in the seats now.

AirJunky
05-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Not sure about the black stuff, but the white stuff that Leroy mentioned is available at: http://www.tapplastics.com
I used it for the spacers under my swimstep.

MarkP
05-02-2005, 06:56 PM
AJ

Great looking seat..
So the bottom of that is completely closed in??

AirJunky
05-02-2005, 07:08 PM
The bottom is made from a single plastic 2"x6" lumber used for decks & fences..... cost like $11 at Home Depot. Then I took the base to an upholstery shop & had him cut the foam & sew up the cover from material he had in his shop. The color is close, but not perfect. If you want perfect, they can order it, but it'll cost a bit more.

MarkP
05-02-2005, 07:17 PM
The bottom is made from a single plastic 2"x6" lumber used for decks & fences..... cost like $11 at Home Depot. Then I took the base to an upholstery shop & had him cut the foam & sew up the cover from material he had in his shop. The color is close, but not perfect. If you want perfect, they can order it, but it'll cost a bit more.
HeII, I have an extra observer seat I could cannibalize (sp) for a perfect mach of the gray and go white at the base. This project is looking more doable for me every day

AirJunky
05-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Now that this one is done, I like the fact that it doesn't have a back on it, makes it easy to hop over to get to the bow. Whoever is sitting there is able to lean on the dash or the observer seat if needed.
If I was going to do it again, the only thing I might do differently is make the thing open from one side. A pair of hinges & it's a good place to hide wallets, cell phones, car keys, etc. Seems like I always have a pile of cell phones in my boat.

MarkP
05-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Good tip thanks..:worthy:

I didnt think of that

east tx skier
05-03-2005, 12:10 AM
Now that this one is done, I like the fact that it doesn't have a back on it, makes it easy to hop over to get to the bow. Whoever is sitting there is able to lean on the dash or the observer seat if needed.
If I was going to do it again, the only thing I might do differently is make the thing open from one side. A pair of hinges & it's a good place to hide wallets, cell phones, car keys, etc. Seems like I always have a pile of cell phones in my boat.

My plan is to have a base that is about twice as long, i.e., through the walkthrough, as the seat base. Put hinges on the seat back and you have a step on the bow side of the seat back so people don't use the cushion as a step. My only hesitation with this setup is that it would be heavier to remove if I needed to leave it at the hosue or access the ski locker.

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 05:18 PM
A big thanks to the kind donor of the following pictures. If you decide to sell it separately, don't hesitate to email me. :)

Since the skins I received comport to this design, I'll probably try to stick to it rather than going for the bow step.

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 05:19 PM
And the front ...

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 05:37 PM
That looks pretty good. I like the idea of having the hiding place to put stuff.

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Yeah, me too. But since it sits on top of a storage locker in the walk through, I think having something that was easily moved would accomplish the same thing with less work.

erkoehler
05-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Can't water get into your ski locker? Or does it always stay dry in there?

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 05:49 PM
It can and it does on occasion. There's a drain from the ski locker to the bilge. I just prop the trailer jack up to its highest setting and it drains to the bilge. I hit it with the shop vac to get the little bit that couldn't drain. Then I lower it and the bilge will drain.

Once or twice a season is usually all I have to do this. The water in there is minimal.

AirJunky
05-04-2005, 06:41 PM
My plan is to have a base that is about twice as long, i.e., through the walkthrough, as the seat base. Put hinges on the seat back and you have a step on the bow side of the seat back so people don't use the cushion as a step. My only hesitation with this setup is that it would be heavier to remove if I needed to leave it at the hosue or access the ski locker.
Hmmmm, that should be interesting with that mirror you just installed. :uglyhamme

MarkP
05-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Hmmmm, that should be interesting with that mirror you just installed. :uglyhamme
He needs someplace to hide the mirror when the cover is on:cool:

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 08:03 PM

Read a little lower. With the skin setup I received, I'm going to copy the original. Working with some wood over rigid closed-cell foam ideas to get the countour.

MarkP
05-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Read a little lower. With the skin setup I received, I'm going to copy the original. Working with some wood over rigid closed-cell foam ideas to get the countour.
I saw that too as I started at the end and read backwards tonight. Looks like a cool seat. But you cant hide the mirror now..

east tx skier
05-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Hide the mirror? The mirror can be removed from the brackets pretty easily. Maybe I don't understand.

As the mirror goes, you guys really need to understand that we so rarely have people in the bow, it might as well be a 190.