PDA

View Full Version : Early Wakeboarding

bret
08-31-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm a slalom skier and barefooter. I'm teaching my son to slalom but he took on a friends son's wakeboard the other day and took to it like white on rice. This is his 5th time on a board, he's doing front to backs, skidding the board behind the boat, and crossing both wakes. He's gotten a little air but we have to work on his lean behind the boat or into the wake from outside. We beat the crowd out on the lake this morning where we live and my wife got in a few good shots. Happy Labor Day tomorrow and best wishes to our friends on the coast.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/wake05.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/wake_01.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/wake04.jpg

TMCNo1
08-31-2008, 03:17 PM
That's great Bret! Good to see ya back on occasionally. You must be home off the rigs, waiting out the storm, right?

bret
08-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Harold, I've checked in every now and then I've just been very busy and my extra efforts have been trying to get the old Porsche race car back on the track.

I was supposed to leave Thursday but got a phone call to stay home until Tues, Wed, or Thurs - all depending on infrastructure to get us out there then.

wakeX2wake
09-02-2008, 10:50 AM
not trying to sound ugly or anything... but those front to backs you speak of are most likely going to be called surface 180s in wakeboarding circles... unless he ollies off the water to do them in which case they'd be called ollie 180s... wakeboarding is a good sport and growing... as long as your kid is on the water and staying at it... i've met some of the best people i know through water sports and maintain several good friendships mostly b/c of watersports

endl
09-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Go to wakeworld.com and they have a trick list and point value you can look through. Also if he stays with it there is a Arkansas INT that usually does a couple weekend events at Heber each year. You also can go to intleagues.com and find other state affiliates.

vision
09-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Great to see your son's interest. He looks like a natural!

It will help his learning greatly to get a non-stretch wakeboard rope instead of using the ski tow rope. Great time of year to pick one up on clearance.

cmw
09-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Greg,
My son is around the same age. He wants to learn to ski or wake board. I ski, but don't wake board yet. I was wondering if one is easier to learn than the other. If so any hints to get him started?

ShamrockIV
09-02-2008, 03:07 PM
i wuould say that wakeboarding would be easier for a kid but we will see what the consensus is.

flipper
09-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Greg,
My son is around the same age. He wants to learn to ski or wake board. I ski, but don't wake board yet. I was wondering if one is easier to learn than the other. If so any hints to get him started?

I'd say what ever he wants to do. I would think double skis or knee board would be the most easy, but everybody is different.

OhioX14
09-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Don't forget the "cool factor". I snow ski as well and there aren't many kids looking to ski these days as all their freinds snowboard. As much as I would love to see my kids slalom I have just as much fun watching them board. If he likes the board I would run with it.

ShamrockIV
09-02-2008, 03:55 PM
i got to find another kneeboard!!

my twins are good enough i think i can let them kneeboard at the same time. that will save alot of gas and headaches over whose time it is!! lol

cmw
09-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm sure eventually both my kids will try it all. I just want to get them hooked and not discouraged. I have heard stories from neighbors, that their kids just want to sit in a cove and swim after getting discouraged.