PDA

View Full Version : A Really, Really, Really, Noisy Trailer

Fletchx7
08-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Ok, I need the help of people that know. I just spent the past hour in the truck with my dad listening to his trailer. (Good thing I don't have hair since my head was out the window the entire time). He has a '01 PS 209 w/ tower and '01 trailer. The trailer is making a horrible rattling and grinding noise. At first, it sounded like something was lose or just rubbing metal on metal. However, we he hits the brakes hard, all noise stop. It only happens when the brakes are not depressed fdrom the driver. We checked the brake fluid level and topped it off, tire pressure, and stopped several times over the 20 mile trip to check hub temp. The hubs are warm, but the axles seem to be several degrees hotter. However, you can keep your hand on them. I noticed that the grease in his hubs was a little low as well. If you stop slowly, the noise does not go away, but gradually gets quieter. It only completely goes away if stop quickly.

Before we yank the wheels and start digging into things, I was curious if anyone has ideas or similar experiences? I have searcxh most of the trailer theads and tried to eliminate as many as possible, but now I am at a loss. :confused::confused:

Thanks for your help!!

flipper
08-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Unless it's a brake dragging, start diggin'.

dcjm6602
08-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Sounds like your brakes may be sticking. either wheel cylinders are seized or brake shoes are separating. I would start by pulling your hubs off and inspecting the brake shoes and wheel cylinders.

Fletchx7
08-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Unless it's a brake dragging, start diggin'.

I was afraid somone would say that!!! Hopefully, we can troubleshoot and head to the lake by Friday.

bturner2
08-28-2008, 08:03 AM
I'm voting for either the brake shoe material seperating from the shoe or a broken retainer spring on one of the shoes. If you haven't rebult them before and decide to pull them apart you might as well completely rebuild them. Don't forget to replace all the hardware while you're at it. You can get the entire backing plates with the shoes and all the hardware from Champion Tralier (www.championtrailers.com). While it's temping to just unbolt the plates and install the new ones, I've had problems getting them centered which causes problems adjusting them. I'd recommend just taking all the parts off the new plates and transferring them over to the old ones.

Skipper
08-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Won't take you long to pull the hubs. It is the only way you are going to be able to figure out what is wrong in there. Plan ahead to have enough brake parts cleaner on hand as well as what you'll need to clean and repack the bearings when you put it all back together.

ShamrockIV
08-28-2008, 10:10 AM
i bet u got a brake dragging. does it smell like burning brakes when u stop??

Fletchx7
08-28-2008, 10:14 AM
i bet u got a brake dragging. does it smell like burning brakes when u stop??

It smelled warm, but nothing too bad. The brakes on the truck smelled hotter, but it is has less than 100 miles on it. The wheels were warm, but you could keep your hand on them.

JimN
08-28-2008, 10:20 AM
If it's an '01 trailer and it has been used to launch the boat without any service since new, it could be a pad de-laminating, rusted hardware or a bearing. The only way to find it is to take it apart.

Fletchx7
08-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Well, we took the the wheels off tonight and immediately found the problem. The backing plates that hold everything together were loose. The bolts that hold them in place where stripped causing the whole brake assembly to virbate and the loud rattle. The pads would never fully disengage which is which is what caused the grinding noise. Once the brakes are engaged, everything would pull tight against the rotors causing the noises to subside. We tried new caliper bolts, however the wobbling bolts have caused the threads to strip and the holes are large enought to where we cannot get the bolts to stay tight. We even tried rethreading. So, now it appears that we need new calipers and backing plates to hold the assembly together.

BT, you mentioned Championtrailers.com. So far, I have seen some parts, but not everything. Does anyone know who made the brake assembly for an 01 trailer? Or any other options of where to search?

Thanks for everyone's help!!:D:D It made much easier to jump in when we had an idea of what to look for first....just turned out a little different than we expected.

Fletch

JimN
08-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Can't you "through-bolt" the backing plates?

Fletchx7
08-28-2008, 11:01 PM
It doesn't look like we have enough room. Originally, we thought a nut could be fitted in there to hold th3 assembly tight because there is enough "good thread left to get a bite. The problem is actually getting it in there. There is not enough clearance between the end of the plate and the rotor.

But.......we are trying once more in the morning. :D

bturner2
08-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Are these drum or disk brakes? If these are disk brakes then you'll need to know who made them. They could be Reliable, UFP or Kodiac. I've been going to Waymire (www.waymires.com) for my disc brake parts. If you can tell them what you have they can probably help you out. Prices are not the cheapest but the service is great. They also have a very good online and printed catalog.