PDA

View Full Version : Resistall Protective Coatings

Flatwaterfooter
08-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Picked up the wifes new truck tonight. They offered a product called resistall. They want $500 for it. It protects the outside agianst any fading and protects agianst sap, Acide rain, etc, Inside seals out water and protects agianst stains. Is this a gimick where I am buying insurance or is this stuff the real deal

dapicatti
08-27-2008, 09:04 PM
I have it on my Denali, it shines like new after 2 years. Griots Garage makes a similar product you need to re apply every year, check it out online and see if it's for you. I think its about $35 but haven't looked at it for awhile. I do know that I have a Black Denali that doesn't show any kind of sap scum, bird dropping residue etc. And its had it all. It worked for us, but who knows. I am sure that someone in the car biz can fill us in.

TMCNo1
08-27-2008, 09:07 PM
It's a scam/additional dealer profit, read the fine print of the warranty and you'll find that besides spending the original $500, you'll spend a additional $200 a year getting the dealer to refurb the treatment every 6 months to keep the warranty in effect for the full warranty period of 5 years or so, where a wax job twice a year by you and the interior already has Scotchgard on it from the factory. The Additional $1400 or $1500 in cost will pay for most any stain or paint problem.

Yes, I know, I have sold new Buicks and BMW's and I have seen grown people cry in the service department, because they didn't know how it worked, had failed to follow the contract and was hung out to dry with stained carpet and paint problems and there was nothing they could do but pay to have the repairs fixed our of their own pockets.

dapicatti
08-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Harold- is the Griots stuff the same thing?

TMCNo1
08-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Harold- is the Griots stuff the same thing?

Not sure, around here, we have 1st Place Finish, Techtor, Colony Shield and the list goes on and on and it's all produced by a automotive chemical company in Charlotte, NC by the name, IIRC, Metrolina Chemical or something like that. Most of it is private labeled for the big dealers who have multiple car dealerships and actually put their own name on the products and warranty paperwork, so everything is taken care of locally rather than getting the manufacture of the products involved with the legal issues. Legally, the warranty paperwork you sign covers their rear ends and your left out in the cold if you don't read and comply with the warranty!

The treatment is basically a plain old silicone exterior wax and the interir treatment is a mixture of drycleaning fluid type, silicone and a solvent much like lacquer that makes the interior smell fresh and like new till you cut wind and skidmark the seat covers!

TX.X-30 fan
08-27-2008, 10:42 PM
I remember applying some stuff like that when I worked as a detailer for a dealership in high school. So I guess they even sold that stuff in the 80's?? :D:D

TMCNo1
08-27-2008, 11:35 PM
I remember applying some stuff like that when I worked as a detailer for a dealership in high school. So I guess they even sold that stuff in the 80's?? :D:D

I've been doing hand painted pinstriping at new car dealeships since the mid/late 70's and they have been using that stuff since then and it's a real job to get it removed from the finish in order to lay down a stripe that won't peel after a few days. Once the urethane base coat/clear coat came out and you could clean the finish of the crap with lacquer thinner it made life easier. I as well as other stripers had to always add a drop of fisheye eliminator for it to be able to stick and dry well after cleaning with Prepsol and alcohol.