PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii vacation suggestions....which Island?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-27-2008, 07:21 PM
My mom is going to Hawaii. she hasnt been there in 35 years. obviously its changed big time. some relatives of ours have a time share thing they arent using, and giving in to her. she can stay in many different places, but I think they get priority at Marriot resorts.

what can you tell me about where to stay?

what Island offers what types of things?

privacy, nightlife, tourist attractions, beach basking, activities, sightseeing,

things she is interested in is a nice resort, with decent restaurants nearby, preferably in walking distance. but dont have to be. she dont want big city type atmosphere, but she dont want to be out in the sticks in a resort with no nearby things either.

what can you tell me so I can help her out?

Thanks.

TMCNo1
08-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Without offending anyone, tell her to be sure to choose an island without a volcano!:rolleyes::D Hey UMP!

Slinkyredfoot
08-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Just my personal opinion but it sounds to me you are describing the old whaling town of Lahaina on the island of Maui. Pretty sure there is a Marriot located here, but this fits the bill for everything else you are asking for. Smaller quaint town with great open air resturants you can walk to, great scenery, beach, nightlife, and many other cool attractions. Do a google search for Kaanapali or Lahaina and see what you come up with...

Good luck, wish I was going..:D

Chief
08-27-2008, 08:21 PM
My mom is going to Hawaii. she hasnt been there in 35 years. obviously its changed big time. some relatives of ours have a time share thing they arent using, and giving in to her. she can stay in many different places, but I think they get priority at Marriot resorts.

what can you tell me about where to stay?

what Island offers what types of things?

privacy, nightlife, tourist attractions, beach basking, activities, sightseeing,

things she is interested in is a nice resort, with decent restaurants nearby, preferably in walking distance. but dont have to be. she dont want big city type atmosphere, but she dont want to be out in the sticks in a resort with no nearby things either.

what can you tell me so I can help her out?

Thanks.

Maui, tell her to stay in Lahina (spelling?). IMO Maui is the best for site seeing and alittle night life. The Heleakla volcano give an awesome view on clear days. 10000 ft above sea level, take a coat!

The Big Island is really nice for just the scenery! Nothing like standing in the crater of a active volcano. It's huge and you would probably never get to see the whole island but it's a great place. They roll the streets up at sunset!

Oahu is great for everything: Diamond Head, North Shore, Makaha West side of island(don't go after dark!) Downtown. The North Shore rocks!

Maui would be a great all in one trip, but they do have Island hopping trips.

Aloha!

dapicatti
08-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Maui x3. My parents used to live there, it is perfect for that crowd. Not alot of wild kids running around (too expensive) and great restaraunts etc. Lahaina would be perfect for her or Kaanapali. Lots of great restraunts and shops in walking distance. Kihei on the other side of the island is nice, but a little remote. You probably would be better off keeping her in the Lahaina/Kaanapali/Kapalua area. Plus she can take the Haleakala bike trip and visit the volcano and take a downhill ride...virtually no effort and its a thrill.

BriEOD
08-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Lived on Oahu for 4 years and saw most of the other islands. I've said this before, but our favorite was Kauai. It is what we envisioned Hawaii would be like. Oahu and Maui are just really commercialized. Particuarly, Waikiki and Lahaina. My 2nd vote would be the Big Island. The Volcano Park is really cool.:twocents:

shepherd
08-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Maui is awesome, but when Lahaina and Kaanapali comes to mind I think "tourist trap." There are much better areas on the island to stay in my opinion, like Wailea, the upcountry, or somewhere along the north shore (Hookipa, etc.).

sand2snow22
08-27-2008, 10:53 PM
I like Maui. Oahu is getting too crowded. Never been to Kauai, but I hear it's the best.

Knox's_Better_half
08-27-2008, 11:50 PM
I would have to throw my two cents in here.......I agree that Kauai is the best. It is quaint and quiet, sitll there are things to see and do. There is some fabulous places to eat. Knox and I went to a place there years ago. It was an old sugar plantation, I think, and the main house had been converted into a restraunt and gift shop. The best food and it is open air seating. We went to spouting horn and we also went down to the end of the road and went to the calmest of the beach settings. There have been many movies that were filmed in Kauai. The fern grotto is a wonderful trip. i am pretty sure there is a Marriot resort there. I wish I was going, it has been too long since I have been.

andyhoyt
08-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Kauai is awesome!!! Laid back, not touristy at all, but enough to do (helicopter tours, georgous beaches, great restaurants, some of the best sushi you'll ever eat, etc.) People are great. If she golfs, the Hyatt has a great course, PGA tour stop. Highly recommend it and its easy to get to with many direct flights from S.F. and L.A.

coz
08-29-2008, 07:40 AM
My choice would be the BI on the Kona/Kohala coast. I've been to Oahu and if you like surfing, traffic and lots of tourists go there. Kauai is spectacular and definetly a place to see but I felt the true aloha spirit on the Big Island and a laid back lifestyle.

Marriot on the BI http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/koamc-waikoloa-beach-marriott-resort-and-spa
http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/k/koamc/phototour/koamc_phototour01.jpg

Edit: And UMP don't forget to tell Mom about Banyans on the BI ;) if it's good she'll get some nice rights :D
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2389/1736072600_5ac9463a0f_o.jpg

Ehukai_84
08-29-2008, 09:06 AM
I lived on Oahu for about 8 years and the Big Island for about two. My parents still live on the Big Island so I return about every year (aka big wave season).

Oahu: big city lots of night life dont get trapped downtown, best surf on the planet! North shore

Big Island: Volcano is amazing, southern most point in the U.S., great golf resorts, nothing to do at night!

Kauai: My opinion the best representation of the word Hawaii!

Maui: Probably my second pick, went to summer camp there every year as a kid, many untouched places but there is still an element of development.

coz
08-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Be sure and tell her not to ride the busses.

City Bus Driver Arrested On DUI While Driving Passengers http://www.kitv.com/cnn-news/17344159/detail.html

ProTour X9
08-30-2008, 11:03 AM
My mom is going to Hawaii. she hasnt been there in 35 years.

She wasn't there for the big Elvis concert was she?? ELVIS- Aloha From Hawaii was held in 1973.:):D