PDA

View Full Version : Hey Cali TT'ers

coz
08-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Anyone following the proposed toll road through Trestles?

For anyone that hasn't they are proposing a toll road that will cut through and destroy one of Orange Counties last un-developed spaces and a world renound beach break (waves)

I've been on board since the beginning (oppose) and even wrote a letter to the Govenator (Arnold) along with thousands of others.

If you've been there or seen it you'ld understand the opposition.

It's a beautiful point at the end of San Clemente

http://www.surfrider.org/savetrestles/images/trestles_big.jpg

Just wondering if any Calif. TT'ers are concerned of part of the opposition?

Info link: http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/us-secretary-of-commerce-hearing-announced-for-trestles-toll-road-situation-open-road_17982/

http://www.satprints.com/ProductImages/Trestles_small.jpg

A shot of upper & lower trestles

dummy
08-27-2008, 10:20 AM
I drive past that every time I go into the office. Would be a bummer, but hopefully the slowdown in development around here will help at least delay the inevitable.

Pearl Jam was in town last year for a benefit concert for the Surfrider Foundation targeted to specifically benefit saving Trestles, so at least it's getting some local exposure down here. It's www.surfrider.org for anybody interested.

coz
08-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Pearl Jam was in town last year for a benefit concert for the Surfrider Foundation targeted to specifically benefit saving Trestles, so at least it's getting some local exposure down here. It's www.surfrider.org for anybody interested.

I was there and a surfrider foundation member for 25 years :D where you at dummy? south orange county? or SD?

I moved from OC 2 years ago (was involved before then) and I'll be doing my part from AZ now :headbang:

Roonie's
08-27-2008, 11:01 AM
It looks very nice as I would want to save it too.

dummy
08-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Used to be SD (Bay Ho area, then Rancho Bernardo). I've been in Escondido 6 years now.

coz
08-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Sooooo many good spots down there :D
http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/North_America/USA/California/San_Diego_County/map/map_sandiego.gif

WakePowell
08-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Okay, from what I remember the toll road does not go through Tressels but rather ties into I-5 at Tressels, on the opposite side of the ocean. So what’s the impact to the surf area? Why oppose a road that will relief an already congested area and improve air quality for the whole region.
With the strict environmental requirements imposed on road construction, especially in California, I would bet that the overall environmental quality for the region and specifically the San Celemente area would be greatly improved. My experience has been that people oppose developments and improvements like these without fully reading the Environmental Impact Statement and Record of Decision. All of their concerns are addressed in these documents and they are run through a gamut of reviews prior to approval.

RexDog1
08-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Okay, from what I remember the toll road does not go through Tressels but rather ties into I-5 at Tressels, on the opposite side of the ocean. So what’s the impact to the surf area? Why oppose a road that will relief an already congested area and improve air quality for the whole region.
With the strict environmental requirements imposed on road construction, especially in California, I would bet that the overall environmental quality for the region and specifically the San Celemente area would be greatly improved. My experience has been that people oppose developments and improvements like these without fully reading the Environmental Impact Statement and Record of Decision. All of their concerns are addressed in these documents and they are run through a gamut of reviews prior to approval.

Yep you are 100% right!!

I have been surfing in So. Cal. for 38 years now, and Tressels is one of the best surfing in So Cal. like WP said the environmental requirements on this road are so high and with the housing market in So. Cal.?????? It will not happen for years……. if at all ……………………. There has been the

“Save Tressels “

stickers on cars for 20+ years, :huh: and I never understood how land developments effect surfing? Yes one of the best part of surfing is the sound of the waves not cars……. but there are all the airplanes pulling advertising noise:mad: IMO are out of control

………………………………….. So.Cal. is not the same place when I started to surf at 8 years old ……………………………..:(

Yes there is a math problem in this post……………….:rolleyes:

coz
08-27-2008, 06:27 PM
AT ISSUE...
The Transportation Corridor Agency is seeking to build an extension to the existing 241 Toll Road. The proposed Foothill Transportation Corridor South (FTC-South) is a sixteen-mile long toll road highway that would connect the current terminus of the 241 Toll Road to Interstate 5. The TCA is proposing an alignment which runs directly through and along San Mateo Creek. If constructed, not only would this project directly threaten the world class surf break at and around Trestles (including Uppers, Lowers, Middles, Church and Cottons), the project would also result in the obliteration of Southern California’s last remaining pristine coastal watershed and substantially degrade habitat that is critical for the survival of at least seven endangered species, including the Southern Steelhead trout.

HOW WILL THE 241 SAN MATEO CREEK ALIGNMENT AFFECT THE SURFING EXPERIENCE?

Wave Degradation
This project would require substantial grading of the terrain and millions of yards of hard reinforcement (steel, concrete and other materials), that will alter the natural sediment flow through San Mateo Creek,, which supplies sand to the Trestles surf breaks.
According to the Transportation Corridor Agency’s own engineering consultants, losses in sedimentation flow would cause “substantial degradation to surfing resources,” which will likely result in significant degradation to the wave quality at Lower Trestles and nearby breaks (including Uppers, Middles, Cottons and Church).
Water Quality
A recent scientific report demonstrates that when over 10 percent of a watershed is paved there are significant water quality and ecosystem impacts.
Similar projects have resulted in generating significant increases of oils, heavy metals and other toxins. Given the proximity of the project to the watershed, this project would result in a decrease of water quality for Trestles and the surrounding breaks.
The TCA’s assertion that they can mitigate for this run-off is dubious. The initial mitigation systems that were installed on the nearby RT73 Toll Road failed, and had to be replaced at tax-payer expense. All mitigation efforts are ineffective during large rain events.

Environmental Damage from the Toll Road
The walk in at Trestles is half the experience. The area is home to numerous native plant and animal species, including several endangered species. This area would be profoundly impacted by such a massive project essentially cutting the San Mateo Creek watershed in half.
The FTC-South will run directly through San Onofre Beach State Park. This 2028 acre park the 5th most visited park in the California State Parks system.
The San Mateo Creek Watershed is one of the last large coastal open spaces in Southern California The FTC-South will forever change this last vestige of coastal wilderness, including profound compromises to the Donna O’Neill Land Conservancy.

THE PROJECT DOESN’T MAKE SENSE TO BEGIN WITH...
It Provides No Traffic Relief
TCA claims that the FTC-South will provide relief of traffic congestion along Interstate 5 in fact contradict their own FTC-South traffic projections that rely on cannibalizing San Diego County bound traffic from the I-15 and feeding that Inland Empire traffic to the I-5 via the toll roads.
FTC-South would be built through undeveloped land, which would promote development, and ultimately bring forth new traffic from urbanization.
FTC-South will increase, not decrease traffic on the 1-5 stretch in south San Clemente where the proposed toll road will merge with 1-5, which is already at over-capacity along this stretch. Northern San Diego County will also be affected by potentially severe increases in traffic congestion.

Expense
The FTC-South is expected to cost close to $1 billion (nearly $53 million a mile). Currently the plan is to fund the project by non-recourse bonds, as well as development impact fees that are already being added to real estate sales in Southern Orange County.
Contrary to TCA claims, these projects are NOT SELF FUNDED! According to an October 10, 2005 article in the Orange County Register, the nearby RT73 Toll Road is “financially struggling” and “faces not being able to make its debt payments in about nine years.”

SUPPORT THE SURFRIDER FOUNDATION IN ITS FIGHT TO SAVE TRESTLES!
The dramatic decreases in water quality, degradation to the wave quality at Trestles, destruction of the San Onofre State Beach Park and some of the last open space in Southern California, and harm to endangered and threatened species are costs not worth the questionable benefits of this extremely expensive toll road.
Surfers, swimmers and other ocean enthusiasts enjoy the waters and waves of Trestles year round. There is no other place like it in California or the world. Please join in our efforts to Save Trestles for our children and future generations.

coz
08-27-2008, 06:33 PM
http://www.surfrider.org/savetrestles/images/big_map.jpg

Sodar
08-27-2008, 06:55 PM

My feelings exactly. Building the road has the potential to relieve congestion. I am totally for this extension and the planned tunnel from the inland empire into the south OC area. Both will have very minimal impact on their surroundings and will be beneficial to all Riverside/OC/SD residents.

funk
12-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Trestles toll road is dead!

http://greenoc.freedomblogging.com/2008/12/18/feds-uphold-state-decision-foothill-south-toll-road-dead/2382/

coz
12-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Trestles toll road is dead!

http://greenoc.freedomblogging.com/2008/12/18/feds-uphold-state-decision-foothill-south-toll-road-dead/2382/

http://twbizblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/twb0406_ft1_trestles_900_475.jpg

After countless hearings, protests, and meetings, the proposed 241-Foothill South Toll Road extension was shut down. What started as a grassroots effort to save a surf break and state park, steamrolled through local, state and, finally, federal legislatures.
The California Coastal Commission (CCC) initially ruled against the proposed road --which threatened San Onofre State Park and Trestles surf beaches. However, the Transportation Corridor Agency (TCA) challenged their ruling on a national level. And after a federal hearing in late September, the Secretary of Commerce absorbed both sides' arguments and spent the past few months mulling it over in Washington.

"This morning we got word that the United States Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez upheld the California Coastal Commission's February ruling that the proposed extension to the 241 toll road violates California coastal law," said Surfrider Foundation Director of Marketing Matt McClain. "This decision makes it near impossible for the TCA to move forward with this project. In short - we won!"

Story & Pics here: http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/us-department-of-commerce-rejects-proposed-241-toll-road-extension-trestles-saved_21210/