PDA

View Full Version : more shower install questions

94PS190
08-27-2008, 09:42 AM
I would like to install a shower and plan on buying the components and installing myself. I have read everything on the board I can find and have a few questions.

1)I am planning on using 1/2" hose to the Y and 5/8 after to the pump and head. I thinking volume will be better.

2) Having a hard time finding a 1 1/4 reducing tee for the cold water hose. Any advice on where to find one?

3) Many of you have said that you leave the hot valve open all the time. Why do I need a valve on that side? Can I just a simple valve on the cold side before the Y to regulate temp?

Am I missing anything? The biggest problenm is getting the cold water from the 1 1/4" hose. I would like to make the installation look clean if possible. You should see the contraption My hardware guy had rigged up for it! I also considered taking it from the drain in the floor. The hot side should keep the pump primed, I think the pump should be able to handle pumping a few extra feet.

Hollywood
08-27-2008, 10:50 AM
I guess you don't need a valve on the hot side then, I used a garden hose Y so it had it built in.

Go to a good hardware store and look for a plastic 1 1/4" through barb with a female T pipe thread. Tap that with a 1/2" barb and mating male threaded end. My application called for a 1" through barb with a female 3/8" pipe, tapped with a 3/8" barb - 3/8" male thread. You'll most likely never find a 1 piece T with in the size you want.

If your pump isn't big enough to flow all that water don't bother oversizing the lines. I used 3/8" on everything with the OEM HeaterCraft Shurflo pump (2.8 gpm?) and it's plenty of water.

94PS190
08-27-2008, 11:01 AM
My local hardware store is far from good! I cant find a fitting like that in Mcmaster carr either I will keep looking. One advantage to using bigger hose is that I don't have to reduce everythinig down as much.

Thanks for your help.

jwroblew
08-27-2008, 11:12 AM
I would get this pump
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_527_527
It is on demand so you do not need to turn a switch on and off to turn the pump on. Northern also has a 2.8 GPM for 5 bucks less.

Hollywood
08-27-2008, 03:13 PM
You shouldn't have to reduce anything, no matter what the size. Buy the appropriate size fittings. I did make 2-piece barbs in and out of the pump because I couldn'd find the Shurflos locally and didn't feel like paying $10 shipping on $2 parts.

Jesus_Freak
08-27-2008, 04:52 PM
...If your pump isn't big enough to flow all that water don't bother oversizing the lines. I used 3/8" on everything with the OEM HeaterCraft Shurflo pump (2.8 gpm?) and it's plenty of water.

Correct....The pressure loss through the system is made up of various contributions. Increasing the line size above 3/8" will gain you little flow improvement for the OEM pump capacity.