PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Upgrade

DHunter-X15
08-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Hi all,

Does Mastercraft offer a power steering upgrade. If so, can it be retrofitted. My X15 has a cable drive steering system. I believe I saw it on a build sheet for another boat but can't find any mention of it on the website.

Thanks

Sodar
08-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Why do you need power steering? Are you talking about hydraulic steering?

DHunter-X15
08-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Sodar,

My wife whines about the steering finding it hard to straighten the wheel after a sharp turn. We have driven my friends Malibu VLX and she can steer it with a finger. I assumed it was a "power steering" system. Perhaps it is a "hydraulic steering" system. I need to check I guess. Does hydraulic steering perform as described above?

Thanks again,

Doug

Sodar
08-28-2008, 01:37 PM
No, I would say something is wrong with your boat. If you cable is in good shape and your rudder shaft is well lubed, there is no reason why your boat should not be turned with a finger. The hydraulic systems work well ic conditions where corrosion can eat the cable to quickly (the reason is is standard on all Saltwater Series Boats).

For a 2008 to have a bad cable, would be pretty odd. I would see what the dealer has to say. Perhaps the cable has been bent, smashed or left in a bilge full of water for too long.

I have never seen a power steering system on a rudder-steered boat. It might be possible, but I do not see the point.

DHunter-X15
08-29-2008, 01:36 PM
I will check into it with the dealer.

Thanks a ton for your help

Best regards,

Doug