PDA

View Full Version : i-pod

sizzler
04-29-2005, 10:50 AM
boys......what do i need to link up my ipod to my stereo in the boat.....ive got the clarion head unit..

no wisear$e comments on needing an ipod first please.... 8p

erkoehler
04-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Are there audio inputs on your stereo? If there are, IPOD sells a cable (29.99 at Target) that will plug into either the jack on the IPOD dock or headphone jack then in to the stereos audio cables.

sizzler
04-29-2005, 10:58 AM
not actually looked yet........gonna look later when i reach the lake

DanC
04-29-2005, 11:47 AM
boys......what do i need to link up my ipod to my stereo in the boat.....ive got the clarion head unit..

no wisear$e comments on needing an ipod first please.... 8p

Depends, which Clarion?

sizzler
04-29-2005, 12:01 PM
dan.....xmd

DanC
04-29-2005, 12:04 PM
dan.....xmd

XMD1 or XMD3?
XMD1 has no aux input other than the CD changer 13 pin, but it can be hacked.
XMD3 has an Aux In and is a straight forward connection

DanC
04-29-2005, 12:09 PM
assuming your 2004 has the XMD3, this is how I hooked up to my Aux In.
I-Pod cable from Belkin

sizzler
04-29-2005, 12:10 PM
thx dan :friday:

DanC
04-29-2005, 12:17 PM
This is a pic of under the dash by the head unit. Hard to tell from the picture but that is the Belkin male cig adapter plugged into a socket that is wired into my 12v. There is also a jack for the headphone there (black thing sticking out the side next to the white cord). I used a headpone jack to RCA adapter. Monster/Ipod sells them but save yourself a couple bucks and get a non-name brand one at Radio Shack/Frys/Circuit City....
You could skip the Belkin cable (doesn't have to be a Belkin, there are plenty of others) and just go straight from the the I-Pod headphone jack to the RCA connectors on the back of you Head Unit if you don't care about charging the I-Pod.

DanC
04-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Also a nice setup is to mount a standard I-Pod dock inside your cup holder. Then run the audio cable (headphone jack on the dock) to the RCA Aux In on the back of the head unit. But then you end up disconnecting the I-Pod when you take it out the of the cup holder.

WakePowell
04-29-2005, 01:08 PM
DanC – I like the pictures you provided on the I-Pod hook up in your boat. I have a 2005 X-45 and would like to set mine up similar to yours. Fortunately there is a 12-volt outlet in the glove box of my boat where the Clarion Head unit is. The only thing I would need to buy would be a 12-volt power cord for the I-Pod. Then I will need to drill a hole to feed the “headphone – RCA” cord from the glove box to the rear of the head unit (I hate drilling holes in a new boat).

How is the quality of the music you get from the I-Pod hooked up this way vs. and FM modulator? I have not even taken the I-Pod out of the box yet so I am new to the whole concept of using them. Also does the head unit have a “mode” to read the input from the auxiliary plug? I have already used the CNET plug to hook in the Sirius tuner

DanC
04-29-2005, 01:20 PM
DanC –
How is the quality of the music you get from the I-Pod hooked up this way vs. and FM modulator? I have not even taken the I-Pod out of the box yet so I am new to the whole concept of using them. Also does the head unit have a “mode” to read the input from the auxiliary plug? I have already used the CNET plug to hook in the Sirius tuner

I have not used an FM modulator with an I-Pod but from what I hear, there are dramatic differences in the performance of the different brands. I wouldn't spend the $50-$100 on one without trying one first :twocents: or checking out a friends.
I have a Sony head unit and the "mode" selection allows me to switch between CD changer and the Aux In plugs. I am not familiar enough with the Clarion and CNET to comment.

wesgardner
04-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Hey All,

I just bought a Clarion w/ Aux. Input for that very reason - to hook up an iPod...the cable I got from Radio Shak for $7. It's a stereo mini jack to split female RCA's and works nicely, I've not heard an FM modulator but I understand they're not as good as the Aux. In route...

Wes

boatwake
04-29-2005, 03:01 PM
We use an IPOD in our 03' X2. The factory Clarion didn't have an Aux. input so we purchased the Monster Digital FM Transmitter & Charger (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=TB003LL/A). It plugs into the cigarette lighter and powers the IPOD and FM Transmitter. It runs about $80. The sound quality is very good. Best features, beside the sound quality, are you don't need to worry about battery charge and it easily moves to and from the tow vehicle.

Tennesseeski
04-29-2005, 06:59 PM
I just use a FM transmitter that plugs into the 12v outlet and then into the headphone jack of the ipod. This works really well as you can take it from tow to boat easily. This also works no matter what type of radio your boat/tow has. I bought the IROCK FM transmitter as it was less costly than the apple one at circuit city. You just plug it in, pick a station on the transmitter, tune your radio to that station and you are rockin.
There are a few drawbacks to this. The quality is great as long as the station doesn't get fuzzy, but if it does you get the same effect as you do when a radio station starts to fade out. This problem is worse at night, but during day it is very little. The trasmitter I have only uses like 107.0 to 89.0 stations. You want to pick one that doesn't have anything on it for best results. They make them that claim to work on any channel on the dial. They say find the station with the strongest signal and pick it and the transmitter will work best there. I have not used one of those. Mine works really well for me in my area. If you live in a big city with alot of stations I hear it doesn't work as well. You can go to circuit city .com and look at these transmitters and read the reviews on each of them. If you want to use your ipod easily from tow to boat and only want to invest $30.00 or so this is the way to go. Only one item to buy and can use with any boat, any tow, and any radio with a digital display. :twocents:

WakePowell
04-29-2005, 07:54 PM
In my truck I have an FM modulator to listen to a Sirius Radio tuner. The quality of the sound is good but I have to turn the volume up about three times higher than I would with a CD or FM station to get the same volume output. Is this the same case with the I-Pod using the FM modulator? If so I am afraid I would not have enough power to listen when riding behind the boat.

Tennesseeski
04-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Yes I do have to turn it up louder to get the same level as with a cd or the radio. Put ipod vol. on about 1/2 to 3/4 and the adjust radio vol. I dont have any problems with mine though. But I only have the 4 speakers in the boat.

Andyg
05-02-2005, 01:13 PM
This is a pic of under the dash by the head unit. Hard to tell from the picture but that is the Belkin male cig adapter plugged into a socket that is wired into my 12v. There is also a jack for the headphone there (black thing sticking out the side next to the white cord). I used a headpone jack to RCA adapter. Monster/Ipod sells them but save yourself a couple bucks and get a non-name brand one at Radio Shack/Frys/Circuit City....
You could skip the Belkin cable (doesn't have to be a Belkin, there are plenty of others) and just go straight from the the I-Pod headphone jack to the RCA connectors on the back of you Head Unit if you don't care about charging the I-Pod.

Danc,
Have you had any problems with this docking/charging unit? This is the same one that I purchased that started cutting out on me this weekend.

Andyg

DanC
05-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Danc,
Have you had any problems with this docking/charging unit? This is the same one that I purchased that started cutting out on me this weekend.

Andyg

No problems, but have only used it a couple of times in the driveway.

Is the charger unit cutting out on you or is the stereo amp cutting out because it is seeing too high of a signal (and dirty) coming from the charger/Ipod?

Andyg
05-02-2005, 06:59 PM
No problems, but have only used it a couple of times in the driveway.

Is the charger unit cutting out on you or is the stereo amp cutting out because it is seeing too high of a signal (and dirty) coming from the charger/Ipod?

The charger is not loosing power. It started doing it almost immediately. When I plug in to the iPod using the head phone jack the problem goes away. It was also doing it on any level of amplification that I set on the charger. Another thing I noted was a continual background noise at low volumes. It was a constant clicking type noise. Again when I plug into the head phone jack this went away. You may be right that the stereo is clipping due to the noise coming from the charger/docking station. Any suggestions? I may have to upgrade to an XMD3 with the RCA input terminals.

I bought another one of these charger/docking stations and the same thing happened when I tried it.

Another thing of note is that I am running about 15 feet or RCA cords so I can have the iPod on the drivers side. I am wondering if this is too far a distance for the charger to push the signal to the head unit. Now that I think about it I did my original test with only about 9 feet of RCA cord and did not have any problems. I bet that is it. Now I just have to figure out how to reach the drivers side of the boat with 9 feet of patch cord.

DanC
05-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Any suggestions? I may have to upgrade to an XMD3 with the RCA input terminals.

I have used weaker excuses to upgrade :dance:

If you have continual background noise, I think you found the source of your problem. Now you just have to figure out the fix. Use shielded cable? Reroute the cable to eliminate crosstalk? Uncoil the cable? :popcorn:

Andyg
05-02-2005, 11:43 PM
I just wonder why I don't get the background noise when I plug in the iPod using the headphone jack. Sometimes I just hate electronics. The other benefit of upgrading to the XMD3 is that I will be able use the iPod connector the Clarion is releasing this summer.

Andyg
05-03-2005, 11:54 AM
I gave up on wiring the iPod into the XMD1 and ordered an XMD3 today with a new remote of course. I will let everyone know if this resolves my problems. Anyone want to buy and XMD1 and remote?

sizzler
05-03-2005, 12:09 PM

If you have continual background noise, I think you found the source of your problem. Now you just have to figure out the fix. Use shielded cable? Reroute the cable to eliminate crosstalk? Uncoil the cable? :popcorn:

bear in mind my knowledge of things audio/electrical is minimal....got underneath my stereo and i had two jack plugs spare ,, one red one white(i think)..are these my auxillary inputs????

are these what i attach to my i-pod???

Andyg
05-03-2005, 01:27 PM
bear in mind my knowledge of things audio/electrical is minimal....got underneath my stereo and i had two jack plugs spare ,, one red one white(i think)..are these my auxillary inputs????

There should be three sets of RCA (3 Red and 3 White connectors) on the back of your stereo. Two sets are used for connecting amps. The third set is your inputs that your ipod will connect to. One thing to remember is to set your input sensitivity on the Clarion deck. Check out your Clarion manual to do this.

DanC
05-03-2005, 04:12 PM

The Red and White identify the Right and Left channel. Whether they are your Aux In or Line Level Out (or Sub Out or CD In.....) will depend upon your model. If they are spare jack plugs as you describe then they are likely as Andy says.

rodltg2
05-17-2005, 02:29 PM
i just bought the ipod and tried the fm mod. it sucks! i havent tried in boat yet but in my truck and car sounds crappy. i have an xmd clarion and i read earlier post you can hack the cd changer plug in to work. anyone know how?? dan c?

OhioProstar
05-17-2005, 02:38 PM
The Clarion RCA AUX inputs should have a different color as a cap. I think mine are red. The RCA outputs were black caps. Do adjust your input level as a MP3 player headphone jack is set a a low level for your hearings' sake.

sfitzgerald351
05-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Has anyone tried a WIRED FM modulator? This is a small box you can stash under your dash. You plug the i-pod into the box and then plug the antenna into the box as well. Then there is another wire out of the modulator that plugs into the stereo's antenna jack. This way it directly 'broadcasts' the signal to the stereo and still allows you to get all the other radio stations. Seems like it'd be a good trick. I have an in-dash Jensen marine radio with no inputs whatsoever so this is what I was thinking of doing. Just curious if anyone else knows if it'll work.

Also, for those of you without a glove box or other dry location for your ipod check out Otter Boxes at www.otterbox.com. Best dry boxes I've seen and they have one for the I-pod, cell phones, etc...

OhioProstar
05-17-2005, 02:39 PM
http://www.planetnautique.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=40

rodltg2
05-17-2005, 02:46 PM
looks like i will havr to drink a few beers to steady the hand for that procedure. do i need to buy that din connector or solder right into the one in the back of the deck?

Andyg
05-17-2005, 03:16 PM
I don't think you want to solder on your deck. You can get the DIN connectors pretty cheap. I suggest buying two so that when you mess up the first one like I did you have a back up. The heat from the solder gun will melt the plastic that holds the din connector together if you hold it on one of the pins too long.

Andyg
05-17-2005, 03:19 PM

DanC,
Have you had any problems with your hook up yet. I tried wiring the XMD3 with the same charger/docking unit and it still cuts out. It has to be due the distance it is traveling around the front of the boat from the drivers side to the back of the deck.

rph21
06-11-2005, 01:42 AM
Couldn't figure out mine, got a sony mp3 disc changer. Holds a ton of songs and don't have to worry about the thing rattling around or getting wet

mcprostar197
06-11-2005, 01:58 AM
The iTrip hooks up to your iPod and plays wirelessly through a radio station......works well in the car not sure about the boat though.....25 dollars at target for one.

erkoehler
06-11-2005, 02:12 AM
Target, Gotta love Target!!!!

erkoehler
06-11-2005, 02:14 AM
The iTrip hooks up to your iPod and plays wirelessly through a radio station......works well in the car not sure about the boat though.....25 dollars at target for one.

Are you on Lake Minocqua??? Did you or your some come to the jump clinic sponsored by the Min=Aqua bats last year????

mcprostar197
06-11-2005, 02:19 AM
no man my familys place is on white sand lake

erkoehler
06-11-2005, 02:23 AM
That is weird, there is another family that lives out in colorado and comes to WI to ski in the summer but there are on lake Minocqua.

Oh well, maybe we will see you up there.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-11-2005, 10:54 AM
I plug in my ipod in the truck on the way to the lake. Charging it. Then I just bring along the fm transmitter and velcro it to the carpet. It actualy sticks and is only temporary, no holes anywhere. Works awesome.

Andyg
06-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Here is another way to hook up an iPod to a stereo if you have a Clarion XMD1. It is a hard wired FM Modulator. So the signal is sent directly through your antenna connetion.

Clarion FM Modulator (http://www.clarion.com/USA/products/accessories/FM200.html)

TTAdmin
06-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Clarion released a unit to allow you to hook the ipod into your stereo much easier...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dgoc3ce0qjR/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=227550&I=020EA1251B&search=clarion+ipod

wiltok
06-16-2005, 04:22 PM
TTAdmin,

Is that compatitable with the XMD-1?

-Keith

TTAdmin
06-16-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it is. The receiver must be CeNET compatible...

Andyg
06-16-2005, 08:04 PM
I actually contact Clarion specifically about the iPod controller and TTAdmin is correct it will not work with the XMD-1. I bought and XMD3 and now just waiting for this to be released before I install it in my boat.

prostar205
06-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Why don't you just use the set of RCA jacks at the rear of the XMD3 to hook your IPOD up to? Clean, Simple, Easy.....

Will this new Clarion unit give better sound reproduction?

Andyg
06-16-2005, 08:31 PM
There are two reasons one of which I don't have an answer to yet. I am hoping that song information will be displayed on the remote with the iPod controller. When I talked to Clarion this item was still in development and they weren't sure if it did. The other reason is I prefer the XMD1 remote to the XMD3 remote, I actually have the remote for the CMD4. It will require me to cut a larger hole in the arm rest. If I can get the song info though it will be worth it. The new remote is about 3.5" in diameter compared to about 2" in diameter on the XMD1 remote.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-17-2005, 11:06 AM
Clarion released a unit to allow you to hook the ipod into your stereo much easier...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dgoc3ce0qjR/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=227550&I=020EA1251B&search=clarion+ipod
After you get this and put it in, let me know how it works. It is something I am all over.

chester007
07-15-2005, 03:18 PM
I've got a Clarion XMD1 with no aux input , how can the cd changer port be used to hook up an ipod?

airwear
07-15-2005, 03:30 PM
I tried the schematic in one of the previous posts off of the Nautique site and it works with the XMD1 but not with the M5475. The cable you build plugs into the CD changer port.

rmbrinner
07-18-2005, 04:25 PM
You will get a much better sound if you can find an adapter that goes through the port on the bottom rather than the headphone adapter.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Anyone see the new device made by "monster" its suppose to hard wire the ipod to the radio and still be able to use a digital display to select songs. I have not seen it, only heard of it.

BradD
06-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Purchased the parts recommended on planetnautique and assembled last night. It worked!! The best advice is to buy the 13 pin with a 6 foot cable already attached so you don't have to solder to the very small pins. I originally bought the connector and cable seperate and after an hour of frustration, ordered the 6 foot cable with connector.

sixysixss
06-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Brad, Where did you get the adapter with the cable already attached? thanks.

BradD
06-08-2006, 10:55 AM
http://www.commparts.com/. Click to enter the online store, and search for a "13 pin din". You'll see it listed at $7.95.

Tenderfoot
06-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Checked into the Clarion IPod interface module. What I learned is will not show songs on the remote and it acts like a CD changer so only will run 6 play lists set up on the IPod. Also, searching for a CD was reported as difficult. One at a time.

Found a cable on eBay that plugs into the bottom of the IPod (not headphone jack) and has RCA's on the other end. Also has 12V supply to charge the IPod.

bfinley
06-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Can you post a link to the ebay auction?