PDA

View Full Version : Private Lake

bcampbe7
08-11-2004, 02:01 PM
I have been throwing the idea around about building a private lake. I was thinking a 10 acre lake would be sufficient. Has anyone looked into this?

east tx skier
08-11-2004, 02:19 PM
From all I hear, take what you think it's going to cost, then double it. For a ski lake, dimensions, if I remember range around 2,000--2,200 feet long and 250 feet wide. But there's a lot more to it, apparently, than just digging a hole and filling it with water, even after you get through all the red tape.

Go for it!

betsy&david Harrison
08-11-2004, 02:19 PM
I have property on a private ski lake. I will ask the guy on our lake that built it your question. Maybe I will be able to get him onto the site soon. There is no better way to ski as far as I'm concerned. I've done both and won't slalom(course)on open water anymore. I have glass all day and can ski from Feb through Nov. Betsy

east tx skier
08-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Agreed that it's the best way to go for slalom.

This is always a good place to start.

http://www.laku.com/

Check the link on how to build a ski lake.

bcampbe7
08-11-2004, 02:26 PM
I have access to land and earth moving equipment. I was thinking around $100K. With some local friends who ski as investers, it may not be too much per person. Like I said, just a thought (or maybe it's a dream)...

east tx skier
08-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Is that $100K per person? I've heard a realistic figure is around $500K by the time all is said and done. The June 2003 Water Ski Mag has a good short article about the process. It estimates that it can be done for $250K for a very well-organized project.

Read that laku article if you haven't already. It's a really good summary of all that's involved.

I'm not trying to discourage you. We all dream about it (at least I do). It might be easier, if you have access, to get a membership to a lake that's already been built. Definitely keep us posted.

chris.willman
08-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Another potential source of info is Feasby's. I too have brainstormed (dreamed) about building my own lake. I have not yet contacted Feasby's, so I can not vouch for them, but they specialize in helping you as much or as little as you need. Check it out, and PLEASE keep the site posted on you progress. I am very interested in anything you learn.

Here's the link.

http://www.feasbylakes.com (http://www.feasbylakes.com/)

betsy&david Harrison
08-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Ok ski buddies...try speedyfarmerterry@direcway.com He built our lake and we have had several others go up in the area recently.He should be able to give you an estimate. Our lake is by the Paradise Estates in Bakersfield. They are quite elaborate and the site for a home is 200k...not with the house. Dues are pretty high too. 500 per share owned. The owners out there have built huge hangars for their private planes next to their homes.(or should I say castles) We, on our lake are a bit more down to earth. So, I think Terry could give you a figure on either way you want to go. Betsy

bcampbe7
08-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Doug-
I could understand it costing that much if you had to buy the land.
I have emailed both builders. I'll post their replies.

east tx skier
08-11-2004, 02:53 PM
B&D, do they tax you on the water usage at your lake. I've heard some rumblings around here about something along those lines. I've seen lake lots for sale on at least one private lake in Texas for around $56K

Bcampbe7, I hope you get a good bid on it. Again, I'm not trying to discourage you. I think that price must include the lawyers. From all I've heard, there's a lot of red tape, and that these projects are long and drawn out as a result. Of course, having never done it, I don't have first hand info for you. I'd invite you to build it in east Texas! :)

betsy&david Harrison
08-11-2004, 02:59 PM
east tx skier..no taxex on the H2O. We have to pay electric co. to pump the H2O because it is in an underground aquifer. Lots of agua under there. Our lake is built in a farming community south of Bakersfield (20min). We are ag zoned. Check with Farmer Terry on other details. Oh, our dues are only 150.00 mo. Pretty cheap. Betsy

betsy&david Harrison
08-11-2004, 03:03 PM
east tx skier ...no taxes on the agua. We do have to pay elec. on the pump though. We are sitting on underground aquifers and there is plenty of water. Our lake is built in ag zone land. Farmer Terry will be able to answer all sorts of questions. Betsy ooops didn't think the first one went through. :uglyhamme

bcampbe7
08-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Doug-
I was hoping that is were you would come in, being an Attorney and all... J/K :D

east tx skier
08-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Hey, if I could, I would. But as long as I work in the court system, no can do.

bcampbe7
08-11-2004, 04:17 PM
In my very few hours of research it appears that having houses on the lake can cause problems with the local government and require a lot of different permits, which equates to more money. My "dream" lake would not have houses, other than a boat house...

NSXBill
08-11-2004, 04:21 PM
I always thought you needed a minimum of around 27 acres.

bcampbe7
08-11-2004, 04:57 PM
I have read differing opinions. Some say a minimum of 16-17 acres is OK, I doubt that would be sufficient. Pretty much all have said what Doug mentioned earlier about the dimensions (around 2200'X250') Ideal being 2300'X300', which would make it easier on the driver to get up to speed and make the turns.

André
08-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Beau
I have been dreaming about this for about a year now.From everything i read,the cost depends a lot on the land that you have,water feed,space to put the moved earth,volume that you have to move,who will move it and how,kind of soil,rocks,trees cut if needed and many more things that i am forgetting.It's really a different case all the time.BUT IT CAN BE DONE!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
Some links ,http://www.waterskimag.com/article_print.jsp?ID=8169
http://www.palmbeachwatersports.com/link7.html

Dreams do come true sometimes...I'm dreaming!
Went twice last month to see a 78 acres lot for sale with already a 300 x 700 feet lake on it with enough room to make it longer.About 100 k us for the land...
You can also check the "Old board" for a thread called"Web site for digging a lake".

bcampbe7
08-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Betsy-
Here is the reply I got from the person who built your lake:

"How about your arm and a leg? Also your first born and your sanity. The actual money involved is inconsequential. I also think that you can not do it without it being a labor of love and you spend your every waking hour only on the project. Land costs, earth moving costs, permits, environmental impact studies, soil tests, water availability, site accessibility, neighbors, state, county regulations, conditional use permits, mosquito abatement. I have not developed a site since 1986 so I cannot help you with actual numbers. By the way, water skiing is a dying sport, so build a wake board lake. Dig it deep. How did you even get my E-mail? Good luck with your project. I am available for consulting at about $200 a hour. Ski Ya Later."

Water skiing is a dying sport??? Why didn't anyone tell me this sooner?

betsy&david Harrison
08-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Sounds just like Terry...he's not one to beat around the bush. Very up-front about issues. To this day our lake is his labor of love. It is the lake everyone wants on because he takes such good care of it. B

east tx skier
08-12-2004, 10:35 AM
As to the deminsions, I think 300 ft. wide would be the max. Any more, and your rollers won't have time to dissapate. You can widen it up at the ends (like a barbell), and put in turn islands, but in the course segment, you don't want it to be too wide.

From what I've heard, these are not short-term projects.

The guy who built Lake Louise in College Station, TX used to post on here from time to time. You can find his post on the old board under the "Find a pull" thread - College Station. They have a web site with pictures of the project. He'd probably be a good source of info.

betsy&david Harrison
08-12-2004, 10:41 AM
east tx skier..are you skiing this weekend? Lets begin a thread to improve our skiing techniques...send in photos. Betsy

east tx skier
08-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Responded to this on the other thread. Hopefully someone will have a good camera down there this weekend.

G-man
08-12-2004, 11:09 AM
there are a couple things to do to disapate rollers. The first is to have a slope of 1:10 or 1:15 with grass that grows to the edges of the water. The other method used a lot is to use rip rack rock and line the shores. The uneven surfaces disapate the waves in different directions. Three of our lakes have no turn around islands, one lake has one island. It there for looks only. In skiing the course we usally drop at the ends, catch our breath and go again. www.princetonlakespoa.com

east tx skier
08-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Additionally, I've heard of people, in the gradual slope up from the bottom, creating little troughs before ultimately sloping to the beach. I haven't seen too many lakes that have turn islands at both ends. Most people I've skied with tend to drop at the end of a run.