PDA

View Full Version : Dead Speedo & PP

Homerishere31
08-25-2008, 09:56 PM
On a 2007 PS 197, both the boat speedo and perfect pass have a zero speed reading. PP still engages and appears to hold good speed when skiing but shows zeros. The only other symptom that may be related, is all the other gauges, temp,oil pressure, fuel, etc all went dead at one point but have come back life.

I guess I am asking for some troubleshooting ideas. So far I plan to locate the control module and check the connections. I did check the PP paddle wheel and it spun fine, but it was not checked with a multimeter.

Does the stock speedo and perfect pass "share" the same paddlewheel? Looking under my boat, there does not appear to be any other paddle wheels or pitot tubes etc.

Any tips before I head back to the lake this weekend would be greatly appreciated.

JerryS
08-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Yes, they share the same PW. Is this PP6.5? Just asking because the latest version of Stargazer pulls it's speed readout from the GPS, not the PW.

There is a troubleshooting section in the back of the PP manual for this very situation. If you have lost both the boat speedo and PP speed readout - I would be suspect of the PW for sure.

I believe it is the green wire going into the master module, and you can hook a meter to it as you spin the PW. The voltage should oscillate from 0 - 5 as I recall. It's in the manual. If not, the PW could be the culprit.

dsoby
08-25-2008, 10:06 PM
The PP and speedo both get their info from the same paddlewheel. The control module is located on the kick panel above the drivers toes. Isn't your boat still under warrantee?

Homerishere31
08-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I actually bought the boat used from Lee at MC of Charlotte and brought all the way to Alberta Canada. I will check on the waranty when I bring it back to the city this fall, but not holding my breath.

Off the top of my head, I do not know which version of PP I have - I am pretty sure its not the GPS based one (nothing on the screen said stargazer). I did try a re-boot of the PP system as described in the troublshooting guide, but no change in the guages.

JerryS, I did notice the green wire you mention - I will check that for sure.

Question, how is the PP still engauging and holding speed if the PW is not working? RPM?

Thanks