PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Coil getting SUPER HOT???

87MCProstar
08-25-2008, 09:11 PM
hey guys, having more issues with the prostar. the boat starts cold great, no pumping of throttle ness just turn key and its there. but once the motor gets warm (155*) the coil gets very hot. if we turn off and try to start the boat again it doesn't want to go. Then we try to direct jump from battery to coil, the majority of the time that works but sometimes it doesn't. does anyone have any idea of what is causing this issue and and idea of fixing it?? season is coming to an end, and i'd like to get this fixed before I put away for winter. thanks

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-25-2008, 09:34 PM
I have an 87PS also. My coil ,original to the boat, went out this summer, but it just stopped working. Boat was running great switched it off to change boarders and it would not restart. If it's the original coil it might be worth the $40.00 at Oreilly's Autoparts to change it.
ROLL TIDE!

87MCProstar
08-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Changed coil same issue, anyone else have any ideas?

JimN
08-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Do you have points? If you do, are you using a ballast resistor? Even if you switched to electronic ignition, it should have the resistor unless teh EI manufacturer specifies that it shouldn't be used.

87MCProstar
08-29-2008, 08:12 AM
i have EI and was told to take out the resistor, should I try to reconnect it? that would keep the coil cool?

JimN
08-29-2008, 08:17 AM
I would contact the manufacturer of the EI module. My guess is that it needs the resistor and if it runs well after you re-install it, it should be there. I know someone who had a problem with the wire from the coil to the EI module fusing and Sierra said that the resistor was needed. The resistor will drop the voltage and current.

Hollywood
08-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Put the resistor back in, that is your problem.

87MCProstar
08-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Alright, I'll put resistor back in the wiring diagram and see what happens. Thanks guys.