PDA

View Full Version : motor will not shut off

steve mc
08-25-2008, 08:41 PM
does anyone out there help

gauges will not work or should i say most of the time and the motor wont shut off unless i turn the battery off

i have replaced the ignition and the mmdc computer nothing working and i dont have much hair left any help would be great

steve

coz
08-25-2008, 09:04 PM
does anyone out there help

gauges will not work or should i say most of the time and the motor wont shut off unless i turn the battery off

i have replaced the ignition and the mmdc computer nothing working and i dont have much hair left any help would be great

steve

Make, Year, Model?

SDAhockey21
08-25-2008, 09:07 PM
I am pretty sure it is not a good idea to cut the engine by turning the battery off. I am not sure where I heard that from and or if its even true so....

JimN
08-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Did this start after some accessories were installed?

We need to know more about the boat's history, as far as recent service, upgrades, damage, etc. Also, do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? If you do, you'll need to access the ignition switch, in the dash, to look at the purple wire and make sure it's not in contact with the red or orange wires. Also, you need to go to the alternator and with the key OFF, measure the voltage at the EXC post, where the purple wire is attached (remove that wire before measuring the voltage). If you have voltage on the EXC post, you need to have the alternator checked out.

steve mc
08-25-2008, 10:50 PM
its a 2005 mastercraft x-45 nothing new added with the lq9 motor

JimN
08-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Since there are no added accessories, do the check I mentioned. Unless a ground wire wasn't connected to the battery (a definite possibility), it could easily be the alternator.

SDAhockey21
08-26-2008, 02:05 AM
JIM was i right about it being a bad idea to cut the power? Or is tat a myth

JimN
08-26-2008, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't recommend doing it that way. If it was an older boat and didn't have microprocessors and other sensitive electronics, it wouldn't be so bad but it only takes a couple of voltage spikes to kill the ECM.

Most electrical problems aren't that hard to find- it just needs to be looked at objectively and being methodical when going after it.

steve mc
09-01-2008, 07:54 PM
thanks to everyone and there advice it was that the second battery was not charging and that controled the eletronics and that was making all those problem thanks again to everyone
steve