PDA

View Full Version : Light problems

Snyd28
04-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Unfortunately I don't know much about trailer wiring, so I thought I would ask for some help. I have a 96 single axle with four rear lamps, an amber and red side marker on each fender, and the lights below the prop guard. the problem I am having is that some of the lamps aren't working correctly. The left inside lamp works as a taillight but goes out when the brakes are applied. The right outside lamp does not work as a taillight but comes on when the brakes are applied. Niether of the side markers work on the right fender.

It does seem like all the lights work properly when I first hook the trailer up, but once I get where I am going they aren't working right.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Tom Jones
04-28-2005, 08:52 PM
I would have said that either your trailer or car wiring is wrong but if it works properly initially that essentially kills that theory. The only other thing I can think of is a bad ground on your trailer or the car. Bad grounds can cause strange things to happen. I'd start there, if you haven't already.

Cloaked
04-28-2005, 09:03 PM
S28, look around this forum area or use the search feature. There is an excellent thread here (somewhere) that will give you the straight skinny on a properly wired trailer, including a schematic and a diagram...

If all else fails, I saved it in PDF and will be glad to e-send.

Ric
04-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Yep I always suspect the ground continuity when the lights act up like that

JEREMY79
04-28-2005, 09:04 PM
try your ground wire

Cloaked
04-28-2005, 09:06 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2027&highlight=lights

Follow this thread if you need additional info...

sfitzgerald351
04-29-2005, 12:42 AM
Probably a bad ground. Start at the front and work your way back tracing the white wires. Not sure how your trailer is wired, but look for a white wire connected to the trailer frame up by the tongue. Clean all the connection points and reattach to the frame. If that's not it, you'll have to work your way back testing all the connections till you find it. It's a pain but happens.

erkoehler
04-29-2005, 12:46 AM
Good luck, it is a long process, but fairly simple once you get started.

Leroy
04-29-2005, 12:49 AM
I have to "work" the connector back and forth to get everything to work for the first time this year. From what you say I would guess that. can you bent the connector around and get everything to work again?

erkoehler
04-29-2005, 04:28 AM
Unfortunately I don't know much about trailer wiring, so I thought I would ask for some help. I have a 96 single axle with four rear lamps, an amber and red side marker on each fender, and the lights below the prop guard. the problem I am having is that some of the lamps aren't working correctly. The left inside lamp works as a taillight but goes out when the brakes are applied. The right outside lamp does not work as a taillight but comes on when the brakes are applied. Niether of the side markers work on the right fender.

It does seem like all the lights work properly when I first hook the trailer up, but once I get where I am going they aren't working right.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Could it be possible that you have a short in the actual connector? Or is there any corrosion on the plug?

phecksel
04-29-2005, 01:30 PM

Thoughts? Thanks!
Is there a chance either the car or trailer is wired to non standard U-Haul standards?

Snyd28
04-30-2005, 04:10 PM
The trailer is not right in front of me so not sure on a lot of it. Last year I did notice that sometimes the far right would not work at all and that if I played with the ground it would eventually work. Thought that was still the problem unti lthe lights would work some ways and not in others. But... if you guys say a bad ground can still be the cause, that is where I will start.

I doubt it is my truck wiring... though I suppose anything is possible. I have an 04 Silerado 1500 Z71 and use the factory wiring connector.

I'll have to play around a bit and see what I can find....

SkySkiSpokane
04-30-2005, 06:39 PM
I had the same problem and traced it back to a broken ground wire. Just replaced it and all worked great again. I have to second all of the ground wire theories and I am willing to put money on it that is your prob. Good luck!! Let us know.

TalleyHo
05-08-2005, 11:47 AM
I have similar problems, but when I was tracing things, I noticed that my trailer coupler does not work as a ground. In *theory* one should be able to remove the ground wire and still have everything work. At least, that was the way it worked on my old HOSS trailer.

My MC trailer (a Remington FPOS) either doesn't have it wired that way, or just flat out decided NOT to do it. I've replaced the ground wire, the truck harness, and the trailer harness, and still the only thing that will allow my brake lights to come on is a good twist on the connectors before I start backing.

I'm hoping a good dose of dielectric grease will help the cxn in the harness and make things work a little better.

Snyd28
05-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Finally got to the problem and here is the verdict...Whoever wired this trailer did a TERRIBLE job.

Each light has it's own ground attached to the frame. Each of my side marker lights have faulty grounds and both are bad bulbs. One is replaced and the other will be replaced by the end of the week.

The far right tail lamp which works as a stop bulb appears to have faulty wiring inside the sealed plastic. The tail wire is powered and the ground is good. Hoping a new sealed lamp will solve that problem, also to be determined by the end of the week.

Thanks for all the help!