PDA

View Full Version : Really need help -- floorboard removal 88 PS 190

hardycm
08-22-2008, 09:43 PM
I could use some help here. I need to re-drill and tap the holes holding the pylon bracket to the stringers on my 88 190. If possible, I'd like to do it right and get to it from the top vs. try to contort through the bilge access.

See the pics below. I followed the earlier advice and pulled the pylon, but cannot get the floorboard piece out. It seems to me that the top half of the boat (including the base of the spotter seat, which seems to hold this piece down) was put on after this piece, and there's no way to get it out. If there's a way, someone please tell me. Note that this piece of "floorboard" also includes the battery well and the bezel that goes around the steering cable, blower hoses, wiring, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Skipper
08-27-2008, 01:17 PM
... It seems to me that the top half of the boat (including the base of the spotter seat, which seems to hold this piece down) was put on after this piece, and there's no way to get it out....

I don't have experience with that year of MC. However, yes, the top half of the boat was put on over top of the floor. I really doubt that section of the floor can simply be removed, it may actually be a floor laminated to the hull. Of course, like I said before, I don't have experience with that year of MC and I could be wrong.

hardycm
08-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks Bill. I've since found a couple posts that say it can be removed, so I'm slowly proceeding. And I thought only the automakers built things that couldn't be worked on...

Skipper
08-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Looking at your pics again, I think you are trying to remove the floor section where the pylon is mounted. Have you tried pulling the floor from the extreme forward and left corner under the dash? Pulling forward and left maybe? The observer seat is part of the top mold of the boat. It should be snug against the floor. You may be able to carefully lift it just enough to free your troublesome floor?

hardycm
08-28-2008, 09:05 AM
SUCCESS! With an extra pair of hands, and a friend who wasn't as concerned about breaking anything as I might have been :), we were able to get it out last night. We just pried up the board on the right (starboard) side of the floorboard, and used a few chisels to hold this end up while pulling/pushing the floorboard to the right. In my case, the trick was to use a piece of aluminum roofing flashing and put it between the base of the spotters seat and the floorboard to help the two slide against each other. It also helped to have one person pulling up or out on the seat base while the other moved the floorboard, just to reduce the pressure on the board, as the fit is very tight. This was definitely a two person job.

Once I got it out, I was able to drill out the existing pylon bracket holes, tap it for a 7/16" bolt (coarse thread this time. I wonder why MC used fine thread originally) throw some loctite on it and tighten it up. The rest of the reassembly will happen tonight so I should be back in business for the long weekend!

TMCNo1
08-28-2008, 09:30 AM
SUCCESS! With an extra pair of hands, and a friend who wasn't as concerned about breaking anything as I might have been :), we were able to get it out last night. We just pried up the board on the right (starboard) side of the floorboard, and used a few chisels to hold this end up while pulling/pushing the floorboard to the right. In my case, the trick was to use a piece of aluminum roofing flashing and put it between the base of the spotters seat and the floorboard to help the two slide against each other. It also helped to have one person pulling up or out on the seat base while the other moved the floorboard, just to reduce the pressure on the board, as the fit is very tight. This was definitely a two person job.

Once I got it out, I was able to drill out the existing pylon bracket holes, tap it for a 7/16" bolt (coarse thread this time. I wonder why MC used fine thread originally) throw some loctite on it and tighten it up. The rest of the reassembly will happen tonight so I should be back in business for the long weekend!

That's great to hear!

Skipper
08-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Damn, I suggested left, you went right and it worked. Figures! Glad to hear you are making progress. Hope that buddy of yours didn't actually break anything.

Kevin 89MC
09-11-2008, 04:31 PM

Nice work. Do you have any pictures of the process, or with it out? I'd be curious, in case I ever need to get at mine.
Thanks,
Kevin